shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With Color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ILoveSusan

Rough_Rock
I have been researching diamonds for an engagement ring for about 4 weeks. I have been looking at 1ct SI2 clarity and I color. My fiance 2 B and I went looking at diamonds this weekend. We saw several 1ct SI2, I and higher that were really nice. However she saw a AGS 1.50ct SI2, L color, Ideal Cut mounted in a yellow gold catherdral setting that she fell in love with for $4980. I was hesitant about the color and the salesman gave me an I color diamond and told me to compare them in the sunlight. I could not see any difference. A nice 1ct VS2, H would cost around $4,000. Do not know what to do. I am concerned what the 1.50,SI2, L would look like in regular indoor artificial lighting, the clarity did not concern her. An I color diamond of the same specs would cost considerable more $$$. Is $4980 (mounted) a good price?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
First off, welcome to Pricescope. I don''t think there''s a right or wrong answer here. I think it depends on what your priorities are (cut, color, clarity, size). Yes, I think there is a good possibility that you will see yellow in an ideal cut L color stone. I can''t imagine not. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but you both need to decide whether it will bother you. It doesn''t sound like she minds, but I wonder how she might feel in other lighting conditions. Does she like the L color stone primarily because of its size or did the stone just sort of speak to her? As we like to say around here, cut is the most important factor and a well-cut stone will mask color better than an average cut stone. After that, it''s really a matter of personal preference. Or maybe there was just something about this stone that sang to her, yellow or not.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Also, the L colored diamond will be complimented better in yellow gold. Do you guys plan to leave it in this mounting?

ILoveSusan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the welcome!

All the diamonds we looked at were Ideal cut and the 1.50ct just really touched her. Face up it looked really great!!! Her happiness is most important. But we saw the stone in ideal lighting. I do not recall what the flourescent rating was. I am also concerned about her long term happiness with a L diamond. She lives 550 mmiles away and I am not able to just drop in and take another look.

Thanks

ILoveSusan

Rough_Rock
Yes, she prefers yellow gold.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there any way to take the diamond outside (even right outside the store door) and look at it? Or look at it under low lighting conditions? The store lights can be quite deceiving sometimes. With an L color stone I can't imagine she won't be able to see any color. If the warm tinge doesn't bother her, that's great....but if she holds her stone up to a friend's ring that's got a D/E/F stone, she's going to see a color difference. Did the stone have any fluorescence? That would help the color a bit. I don't want to give you the impression that an L color is bad - it's not - but it will be noticeable when side by side with a higher color stone. However, if she's really got a sweet spot for a 1.5 ct, then she may be willing to concede the color thing for a bigger rock!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Funny thing this post came up...I was just inquiring about an L color diamond last night. Link

If your fiance loves the stone, and it''s in your price range, then by all means get it for her! I think it sounds like a great size for the buck. If you''re hesitant, ask about the trade-up/return policy.

Don''t forget to post pictures!
21.gif

ILoveSusan

Rough_Rock
I was able to take it outside and compare it with an I colored stone. It looked GREAT, I could see very little difference in the sunlight. I do not recall what the flourescense was. I will have to check that out.

Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sunlight is not the best place to view a diamond, any diamond...they tend to just look really chaotic and sparkly.

Try to view it in low lighting or diffused, aka put your hand cupped over the diamond in the jewelry store and see what the diamond looks like in that 'shaded' environment. Take it outside into SHADE and look at it out there. The jewelry store direct lighting will make anything good and the sunlight just causes too much sparkle to really see anything.

That said, I think that an L 1.50c would show some color, definitely from the side...depending on how it is set. But some people would not mind it at all. I have a 1.6c J SI2 and I adore it. I'm definitely going to stick with J SI2 for my next upgrade. Not sure how I'd feel about going to an L, but I would consider a K after seeing Mrs. Jams 2.56 K stone from GOG. I think that CUT has alot to do with it...it will mask some of the color and could make the stone look whiter than a less well-cut better colored stone.

Good luck...follow your heart, if the 1.5c L just grabbed her like you said...then it sounds like the decision is pretty much made?!?!

Oh and 1.5 L SI2 for $4900 in a setting? Cheap! A 1c H VS2 for $4000? That's a ridiculously low price for a well-cut stone...a H&A 1c H VS2 from a PS vendor would be $6500. Even just a regular AGS0 1c H VS2 online would be at least $5600. That is a huge difference... why are your jeweler's prices so low? I'd definitely get an independent appraisal, that sounds a little off?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I have an M colored stone. It has very strong blue flourescence and in most lighting looks very white. I notice color in incandescent lighting (regular light bulb) where there is not much UV light. In halogen lighting (which is probably what the jewelry store has) there is very little color noticable -- all I see is sparkle. If you can get in color corrected flourescent lighting (some hair salons have it so the stylists can get the haircolor right) you may get a more accurate visual of the color. I think a lot of her satisfaction with the diamond is going to depend on what kind of lighting she will be wearing her ring in most of the time. I wanted more size, so I compromised on color. I think if you look at your options and weigh out all the pros and cons, you will be able to determine which diamond you both like the best. And I agree, there is no right or wrong answer. Some people prefer a half carat E VS H&A diamond, others prefer size over color and/or clarity. It''s all in what you want and like most.

Best of wishes for your engagement!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2005 12:59:08 AM
Author: Mara

Oh and 1.5 L SI2 for $4900 in a setting? Cheap! A 1c H VS2 for $4000? That''s a ridiculously low price for a well-cut stone...a H&A 1c H VS2 from a PS vendor would be $6500. Even just a regular AGS0 1c H VS2 online would be at least $5600. That is a huge difference... why are your jeweler''s prices so low? I''d definitely get an independent appraisal, that sounds a little off?
My thoughts exactly. If you think this is truely the stone for you I would have the sale contigent on an appraisal, from a person of your choice.

Sometimes the one you try on in that moment seems perfect...but she will wear this ring forever.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Some additional thoughts in line with what others have said:

Since you''re 500 miles away, maybe just buy the ring with a two-week no-questions-asked return policy. See what you think after looking at it under different lighting for an extended period.

See if you can work out an upgrade policy where you don''t lose money and where you don''t have to (for example) double your purchase in case you decide you want higher color and/or cleaner stone sometime later.

Look at the stone in diffused light for eye-visible SI2 inclusions. Store lighting and direct sunlight can completely mask inclusions, but after living with this a couple of weeks you might see something that you don''t care for. It''s fairly common for SI2s to have eye-visible inclusions.

Great style of ring I think for something with this much color is bezel-set in gold.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will find as in my experience that an L colour will look fine in indoor lighting, it is in bright sunshine where you will see most of the colour from the pavillion. An L colour isn''t bad, it simply is and there are many who prefer the warmer colour stones.I wouldn''t call a properly graded L yellow, to my eyes and in my opinion they are simply a little warmer and not so much from the top but from the side - but still white face up, albeit a softer white, if that makes sense. Yellow gold is often the way to go with setting, your GF may just prefer the warmer colours to the Icy whites and that is fine - just a matter of preference. I think the others have give you excellent advice, if your GF loves this stone which it sounds as if she does - why not buy it and check it out thoroughly in all lights and see what you think. It would be a shame to write this diamond off because of the L colour when it is still a beautiful diamond, just consider it carefully, and get the independant appraisal if you can during the return period which is always a good idea. If the warmer colours appeal then that is a huge plus as you can get more size for your money!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
One comment I''d like to make about viewing diamonds in specific lighting conditions...

All diamonds can look different depending on the lighting conditions. The nature of an ideal cut stone is to maximize it''s sparkle and brilliance in many diverse lighting conditions. That beng said, no diamond looks he same in every type of light. Not in terms of sparkle, not in terms of color, and not in terms of brilliance. My advice would be to look at the diamond in the type of lighting in which it will be worn the majority of the time. For example, Mara doesn''t prefer direct sunlight for her diamond, as she feels the look is too chaotic. I''m just the opposite...I WANT a ring that looks good outdoors in the sunlight, because I spend a very large portion of my time outdoors in the sun, and I want a diamond that will look it''s best in that type of light. When I used to work in the hospital, under strong flourescent lights all day, I wanted a diamond that looked best in that light. If I wore my diamond more often in low light conditions, I''d probably be looking for a diamond that looked best in that type of light.

I think you should take into consideration what type of job or lifestyle your girlfriend has, when she will be wearing her ring and in what type of lighting conditions. If at all possible, try to view the diamond in that type of setting and see how you think it looks in terms of color and sparkle. As long as it looks good in the type of light it will be seen most, it shouldn''t really matter so much about the color or clarity grade. It''s my personal opinion that ALL diamonds have the potential to be beautiful, they just need the right person and the right setting.

ILoveSusan

Rough_Rock
Here are the exact specs from the AGS Cert:

RBC 1.50ct
L
SI2
7.49 - 7.45 x 4.49 mm
Depth: 60.1%
Table: 56%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
AGS 0
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None

Price set in yellow gold cathedral setting $4980. Inclusions could were feathers and could not be seen WITHOUT loupe. Thanks for all the great input!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a beautiful diamond. Is that the one you are going to get? Please post pictures!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
It really does sound beautiful--I likely wouldn''t be as positive w/o the excellent cut, but that makes such a difference--for fun I tried on a SEVEN carat RB at my jewelers and was utterly floored when he told me it was an L. I thought maybe an H/I/J....it was cut beautifully and the slight warmth was gorgeous.

Anyway, the important things are cut and how you/she feel about it and it sounds like this one really "touched" her.....PLUS in YG, any yellow tinge will be less detrimental.

I dunno. I''m just a consumer/drooler, but it sounds like a good ''un to me!!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone- A few points
1) an L color diamond - especially a well cut round- will look very white ( near colorless) if set in white metal- yellow will do the opposite.
If you are buying a softer white diamond, and she likes yellow gold, I''d suggest a two tone ring- white to hold the diamond, the rest in yellow...
I agree with Suzie, look at the ring in all different kind of lighting- there''s nothing "wrong" or "right" with any natural lighting situation- of course lights in the store can be deceptive ( elevating these lights out of the "natural" category), but most people WILL wear their diamond in the sun, so how it looks outside is important to some people.

2) someone suggested "working out" trade up and refund policies.
Unless you can get a store to actually put it in writing, I''d say asking a salesperson to alter a company policy might not net you a dependable answer......If a store does not have a trade up policy in place, you probably can''t get them to start now.......

3) price- the price of $4980 for the 1.50 L/SI2 is in line. BUT a one carat H/VS2 will cost a heckuva lot more than $4k today.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results