shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with bling please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish knowing 2c about these details would be enough to qualify for cleverness.. not so!
28.gif

Anyway, what I wanted is use Garry's Cut Adviser on those numbers!

... and easy enough, both got away with flying colors and a diagnostic of promising proportions. Probably nothing would compensate looking at the stones, but... whatever one can do.

As the rule goes, every Cut Adviser score below 2 is great, while the diamonds concerned may have slightly different personalities dictated by proportions and details of cut not accounted for by those numbers.

The Cut Adviser reports read:

For the first stone

Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight: Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.7 - Excellent within BIC range

For the second

Light Return: Excellent
Fire; Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight: Very Good
Total Visual Performance 0.7 - Excellent within TIC range

What BIC and TIC are is explained HERE a bit.

IMO, both are fine cut-wise and would have a hard time choosing based on proportions alone. Perhaps I'd consider the second a safer bet so to speak, but ... if the other one had something else going for it (better price, color, clarity or ... something), it would not take much at all to turn to it. In fact, I am quite curious about the first - the proportions (an you say, price) are tempting and there aren't too many 'Brilliant Ideal Cuts' around here - or any other such stones with high HCA score and not AGS 0 cut grades.

My 2c... as far as I know.
38.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t want to judge these two guys further without better evidence (i.e. seeing them together, or at least the first one that is not within the good ol'' AGS0 range).

The ''BIC'' proportions of that stone make me wonder what it may look like in lower light...

There is a clip showing a diamond ''darken'' as it is looked at up close (effectively being shadowed by the viewer, but shade can come from other things, right?). Any round diamond would look dark seen very close up, only some keep shining under more shade than others - slightly. Since these guys are not exactly meant to be exhibits of optical engineering on display under magnifying glass... I wonder when does this start to be a detraction.

Anyway, ''guess this sounds allot like gibberish. The clip called ''head obstruction'' in the Video Gallery here should tell the story better than me. take a look if you wish.

I wonder if Garry volunteered the proportions of that diamond anywhere
11.gif

Anyway, between the two diamonds listed, the first would start crying for light sooner. But I would need convincing that this is a bad thing.
2.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for taking the time to explain. It''s always so nice to read your recommendations and 2c!!! I''ve e-mailed Les. for pictures ect. I will wait for her reply and will follow up shortly!

I also wanted to say thank you for running the tests. I work on a MAC so I''m unable to use the software.

Thanks again!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm confused...

is there an H SI and an H VS2?

if so which was that last scan for? the one with 32 and 40.2?

if you can go through it again, i must have totally missed it.

but based on what val said if there is one that is .7 TIC i'd be more inclined to go for that one depending on specs. having had a BIC i just did not love the compromise that i had to make to get less fire.

oh nevermind...i think i got it. hmmmm. tough call between the two. are they calling them in? i don't love the GOOD on symmetry for the first one to be honest. to me that means that the pattern in the stone may not be very good. i actually like the specs on the H VS more and the ID/ID etc. sure it's a little smaller diameter wise but it may be better cut. the BIC may face up bigger but i bet you'd lose some fire for the tradeoff. I'm a TIC lover now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results