shape
carat
color
clarity

Help w/ new work wardrobe..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi girls! I''m starting a new job next Monday and feel that I need to upgrade my work wardrobe BIG TIME. (Background: I''m an engineer and have not invested much in my work wardrobe for my current job. I really want to start off on the right foot with a professional look.)

The problem is, I have no idea where to start. It''s overwhelming when you have to start from scratch and don''t want to spend a TON of money at once (with our wedding coming up next month!)

I''d love some advice if any of you ladies are willing to offer...If you were starting from scratch on a new business casual wardrobe, what are some basics that you would buy?

Thank you!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want to spend a lot of money - how about some separates from Ann Taylor Loft? They have really great sales all the time.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd check out Ann Taylor loft, because they're having a sale and giving out $25 credit cards when you spend $50. Plus they have some nice business-y stuff. And it's great when you can find it on sale. Here's their "work outfits" page

ETA: LOL LAJennifer!!!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I know you say business casual, but I would start with a classic, 3-piece black suit (jacket, trousers, skirt). It can be worn together for those times you need to be formal, or mixed and matched with other clothes for a more casual look.

You can get away with just a couple good skirts and trousers, since people tend to look at those less than at what's on top. Go for classic colors (navy, khaki, chocolate) to start with, then add some fun colors or patterns as you have time/$$.

I wouldn't spend too much money on shirts, but would buy at least a 2:1 ratio of tops:bottoms. Button-down shirts are always a good option, especially if you can get some in classic colors and some in pretty colors or patterns. Shells and cardigans are versatile, too.

I'm a fan of starting with some that won't go out of style, then adding to them. If I had it to do all over again, that's exactly what I would do, since it's a lot easier to do from the start than later on. Do you have a price point for us to consider?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My inexpensive work wardrobe comes from Express and it has been great. http://www.express.com/home.jsp
Their button down shirts actually have curves built in so they fit real women and I love their editor pants. I also think their pencil skirts are the most comfortable I have come across.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you really don''t want to spend a ton of money, I''d go to H&M on the double! They have TONS of businessy clothes and they''re super inexpensive. That''s where my sister went when she needed businessy clothes for her first job. And the quality isn''t bad for the money, either-their $20 pants don''t usually look like $20 pants.

Erin

Ideal_Rock

You can''t beat JCPenney for a quick fix. They usually put their business casual clothes in one section.

Dress pants - try them on!!! Go for the ones that fit the best. Definitely black, grey pinstripe, brown, off white...

Then find some solid colored tops so you can mix and match. I usually pick one that have a fun detail, ruffle, ribbon waist, girlie sleeves, covered buttons...

jcpcareer.JPG

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I love New York and Company for inexpensive business clothes. If you sign up for their email deals, you can get coupons for $30 off a purchase of $75, and right now their pants are buy one get one half off. I think I love them because they carry all their pants in short (which fit me better than other store''s petites), but they are also a really great deal.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I second the three piece suit idea. I actually just bought one at Ann Taylor a couple weeks ago... love it!
Ann Taylor Loft is fabulous for staple pieces... good prices, a variety of sizes and styles, and pretty good quality for the price. I tend to spend my money more on work pants because they get A LOT of use (as they are wearable from season to season), and I find that a nice pair of work pants really bumps up the look of an outfit. I would recommend work pants in the following colors: gray (goes with almost anything), black (like I even needed to type that), and a brown, taupe/cappuccino or khaki. Oh, and don''t forget that lined pants tend to fall a bit nicer/sleeker than unlined pants.
Tops are usually more where I go for cheaper, trendy-ish stuff. For me, it''s much easier to find a decent looking top for a good price than it is to find pants that are cut right, fit well, and last for a good price. Anyway, Target has some pretty good shirt options and they can had some decent trendy shoe deals. Nordstrom Rack is awesome for good quality and a great price tag on tops, sweaters, skirts, and shoes. Oh, how I love Nordstrom Rack!
30.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any outlet stores near you? I always find a ton of great bargains at the Banana Republic Outlet.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
is your engineering job a desk job or are you working in the field or a plant? i have several lady friends who are engineers and they are all out in the field or plant and require work type clothes rather than business.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you all SO much! I''m really clueless, so you have no idea how helpful your posts have been.

As for amount I''m looking to spend (Octavia''s question): I''d like to keep it under $1000 total for right now.

So from your posts so far:

1) 3 piece black suit
2) nice pants in khaki, brown, charcoal (black pants will be from suit)
3) button down shirts in "traditional" colors
4) pencil skirt in charcoal (black skirt will be from suit)
5) other tops

I have a really great pair of black heels and brown heels already. I''m thinking I should probably also buy a few pairs of nice flats (maybe just black and brown for now and then build on my collection later?)

Am I missing anything? Thank you all so much again!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
If you are a petite girlie, BCBG is great for suits. They are cut for lil' gals and are pretty affordable for your standard 3 piece staple outfit. Theory is also good for classic cuts and so is Elie Tahari for streamlined fits. I find a lot of other lines can run boxy? Janet Reno-ish?
41.gif

For a budget, I would try Nordstrom sales. They always have suits on sale. If you want a staple suit, I would invest more money in this one thing. You will get more wear out of it for sure, so it's actually a money saver. And whatever you wear with it will look pulled together. With button down tops, you can get away with various brands and styles.

I would put the most emphasis on cut...just like a diamond! =) So if you can get it tailored, you will look like a million bucks no matter what brand you are wearing.
36.gif

Congrats on the new job!!!!!! You will be awesome!

ETA: Hey, those JC Penney outfits are CUTE!!!!!

AND YOU SEEM SET! Smart lady! You'll be great at your new gig!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
~95% of the time I''m not in the field. :)

I do have a Prime Outlets location near me! I guess I just get overwhelmed and I''m not really good at putting outfits together unless I see them on the manequins. It''s frustrating being so bad at it sometimes! I feel like I''m not good at being a girl!!
7.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 12:02:10 PM
Author: nclrgirl

I do have a Prime Outlets location near me! I guess I just get overwhelmed and I''m not really good at putting outfits together unless I see them on the manequins. It''s frustrating being so bad at it sometimes! I feel like I''m not good at being a girl!!
7.gif
I am sure you have a great style!!!!!!!

It''s just practice -- going to stores and trying on tons and tons to clothes to see what looks good on you and what you like. My mom dragged me around to store after store growing up so I had to try on a ton of stuff as a little girl. Things haven''t changed! LOL.

I try to stay with the classic pieces that will not go out of style and throw in some trendy items from time to time.

Classic cardigan sets (tank with light sweater over it)
Simple suits never go out of style
Button downs (that are tapered in to nip in at the waist) are always chic
When in doubt, wear black with pearls! =)
As long as you are wearing solid colors in clothes that fit well, you will be just fine.
When you venture out and try a pattern, just let that one item be busy and nothing else.
19.gif

Clothes that skim the body and don''t pinch/squeeze are best
Don''t be afraid of color, but let one item be the POP of color in your ensemble
Think Audrey Hepburn or Katharine Hepburn...
And attitude is the final accessory!

You have brains, you''re going to WOW them no matter what you wear!
36.gif

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 11:59:24 AM
Author: Bliss
If you are a petite girlie, BCBG is great for suits. They are cut for lil'' gals and are pretty affordable for your standard 3 piece staple outfit. Theory is also good for classic cuts and so is Elie Tahari for streamlined fits. I find a lot of other lines can run boxy? Janet Reno-ish?
41.gif

For a budget, I would try Nordstrom sales. They always have suits on sale. If you want a staple suit, I would invest more money in this one thing. You will get more wear out of it for sure, so it''s actually a money saver. And whatever you wear with it will look pulled together. With button down tops, you can get away with various brands and styles.

I would put the most emphasis on cut...just like a diamond! =) So if you can get it tailored, you will look like a million bucks no matter what brand you are wearing.
36.gif

Congrats on the new job!!!!!! You will be awesome!

ETA: Hey, those JC Penney outfits are CUTE!!!!!

AND YOU SEEM SET! Smart lady! You''ll be great at your new gig!
Thank you so much for all of the kind words of encouragement Bliss! I''m pretty nervous about it (starting the new job and moving to a new city, where I only know FI and not many other people, etc).

I probably should have mentioned earlier: I''m 5''10" and I wear a size 6, so the petites definitely won''t work for me!
1.gif

And what do you girls do about accessorizing? I usually only wear my e-ring and a pair of diamond studs, but I''ve noticed that ladies that are really good at picking out cute accesories always look more pulled together..

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hey nclrgirl!

Congrats again!!!!! What an exciting time for you!

Size 6 is PETITE, girlfriend! It is really small when you are 5'10"! Lucky you, that is a gazelle/model's figure. So definitely you will need clothes that FIT well to show off your pretty figure and not get boxy...

As for jewelry... Sometimes less is more. I think e-ring, diamond studs are great. Who could ask for more?
19.gif
The thing is, you just have to go try stuff on! Magazines and mannequins help, but you have to try on all the jewelry and clothes to see what brings YOUR natural beauty and personality out! Try hoops, pearls, dangly earrings, lariat necklaces, long necklaces, chokers... it's fun!

You'll be surprised at what emerges! Shoot, smart girlie like you? You'll have people asking where you got X and Y and copying your style before you know it!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 12:09:32 PM
Author: Bliss

Date: 8/11/2008 12:02:10 PM

7.gif
I am sure you have a great style!!!!!!!

It''s just practice -- going to stores and trying on tons and tons to clothes to see what looks good on you and what you like. My mom dragged me around to store after store growing up so I had to try on a ton of stuff as a little girl. Things haven''t changed! LOL.

I try to stay with the classic pieces that will not go out of style and throw in some trendy items from time to time.

Classic cardigan sets (tank with light sweater over it)
Simple suits never go out of style
Button downs (that are tapered in to nip in at the waist) are always chic
When in doubt, wear black with pearls! =)
As long as you are wearing solid colors in clothes that fit well, you will be just fine.
When you venture out and try a pattern, just let that one item be busy and nothing else.
19.gif

Clothes that skim the body and don''t pinch/squeeze are best
Don''t be afraid of color, but let one item be the POP of color in your ensemble
Think Audrey Hepburn or Katharine Hepburn...
And attitude is the final accessory!

You have brains, you''re going to WOW them no matter what you wear!
36.gif
Those are some great work clothes style tips. Sweater sets (matching tanks and cardigans) are fabulous, especially if you''re in a chilly office all day but it''s toasty outside.

For now, the simple accessorizing you described is fine. When you start your job, look around and see what accessories others are wearing. Then, base the type and amount of accessorizing on that.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I have a long strand of nice pearls (100 in) that can be worn several different ways. I think to start off with, I''m going to get a longer strand of black pearls as well and then follow aprilcait''s advice and wait to see what the other women wear day-to-day in the workplace.

You have all been so great! I can''t thank you enough. I feel like I''m on a really nice PS version of What Not to Wear!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Just thought I''d mention as accessories go - I love long necklaces that can be double wrapped to make a clustered short one - options.
I would not recommend chunky bracelets. Sure they look cute with your outfit but will be a pain if you''re typing or holding a mouse all day.
If you already have a cute pair of black and brown shoes, why not get your next shoes in red and silver???
There are what you call staple pieces of clothing and then there''s fun - don''t forget fun!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 4:48:47 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Just thought I''d mention as accessories go - I love long necklaces that can be double wrapped to make a clustered short one - options.
I would not recommend chunky bracelets. Sure they look cute with your outfit but will be a pain if you''re typing or holding a mouse all day.
If you already have a cute pair of black and brown shoes, why not get your next shoes in red and silver???
There are what you call staple pieces of clothing and then there''s fun - don''t forget fun!
Starset, you and the other girls have inspired me... Look what I bought tonight! I''m not sure I''ll wear them to work, but I''ll find somewhere to wear them, and they sure are fun!

nclrgirl_shoes1.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I would really determine what is acceptable in your new job.

If you can be more casual it makes a difference.

I think no matter what, a nice pair of black pants, a black skirt, a jacket, and a white blouse are always great. Nothing tooooo trendy if you are in a more conservative environment.

You can then add in another neutral, khaki is nice for summer, or grey, brown, navy...
and work in a pop of color here or there if you feel comfortable.

Congrats and good luck!!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
And I found these tonight: a little less boring than my usual, and I could definitely wear them to work! Unfortunately, I''m having a hard time finding my size, even on line!

nclrgirl_shoes2.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I just got a new job myself, and I needed to update my wardrobe from "student" to "teacher". I started at the Limited. They have a sale going right now, and they have lots of nice tops and slacks that can be mixed and matched. They also have some very nice suits and blouses. Another store that I like to find separates at is H&M. I don't know if they have an H&M by you, but it's worth checking out if they do. Good luck and happy shopping!
PS- Ask sales associates to help you put together some nice outfits... A girl helped me with my interview outfit and I looked like a million bucks AND I got the job!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I would also suggest trying consignment shops if you have nice, upscale ones where you live. A lot of these cater to fashion savvy, business attire in my area and you can find very nice, high-quality clothing for reasonable prices. (I just got a Tahari suit for $45, for example. It is from last season, but I usually keep my suits for a few years). Like NEL, I also get a lot of my work clothes from the Banana Republic outlet.

Also, I LOVE the shoes. I am a fan of dressing very plain (few prints, mostly neutrals) so you can pop your outfits with shoes and bags, and these would work perfectly for that!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
nclrgirl I seriously love those shoes!!!

at work they call me "Paloma" (Picasso)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Nclrgirl, I have the same Chinese Laundry shoes!! I love them, they''re just too cute.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Starset: Thanks! The white/red ones with flowers are by Chinese Laundry and the black ones are actually Dr. Scholls!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh Octavia! I love them! Maybe you can help me...I have no idea what to wear them with... ??

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 10:17:25 PM
Oh my gosh Octavia! I love them! Maybe you can help me...I have no idea what to wear them with... ??

I have the same problem, I end up spending a lot of time loving them but not much time wearing them. I think they look great with dark jeans and either white, green, or red tees, but I saw in your other thread that you're hoping to wear them for your RD -- have you tried them on with the dress you posted? It looks to me like the blues match perfectly, but it's hard to tell on a computer monitor. If they look good, you should absolutely go for it! Or maybe something that matches the greens in the shoes? Or maybe orange? It's hard because so many things should match but so few things actually do look good with them. I'm hoping that people give you some more ideas, because I'm definitely going to be listening, too.

BTW, if you like those shoes, check out the brand Naughty Monkey. They have a similar vibe to CL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results