shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on pink diamond pricing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fusionvx

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I was looking for fancy diamond appraiser in the Dallas area when I came across this forum.
Being new to fancy diamonds or diamond in general, this forum has many great information.

Anyway, the 2 questions that I have are:
1) Does anyone know of a good appraiser in the Dallas area?
2) Can someone give me a rough idea on how much a GIA cert pink diamond below would cost?

Here''s what is listed:
Shape: Marquise Brilliant
Meas: 10.22 x 5.12 x 3.09 mm
Weight: 0.91 ct
Depth: 60.4%
Table: 63%
Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VVS2
Color: Natural, Faint Pink
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Surface graining is not shown

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to look over this thread about a faint pink...

Sorry I can''t help more
8.gif

Fusionvx

Rough_Rock
valeria101,
Thanks for the help.
1.gif

But the thread doesnt not say anything about pricing or any good appraiser in the Dallas area.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2005 1190 AM
Author: Fusionvx
valeria101,
Thanks for the help.
But the thread doesnt not say anything about pricing or any good appraiser in the Dallas area.
Arrgh... ! Wrong link !

Someone else was asking about the price of a 1 carat faint pink in the same time. I think the conclusion of that thread remained that the price should be comparable with D color... You might want to search for "faint pink" to locate that thread.

Mary Alaina''s thread sounds relevant for describing the tenuous nature of the "faint" color.

Have you seen the stone in question ?

elmo65

Rough_Rock
Appraiser:

Patti Geolat
Geolat & Assoc. Inc
972-239-9314

I didn''t use her, but my friend did, and was happy with her advice on a stone....

Fusionvx

Rough_Rock
hest88,
Thx for the link. I went there too... but I thought there is a big price gap when it is 1 ct or more, compared to a less than 1 ct. In this case a0.91 ct.

valeria101,
I have seen the stone in person and was told that it is quite rare for a colored diamond to be vvs2 and up.
But it sure is pretty tho. sparkles brillantly and looks bigger than my friend''s heart shape 1.25 ct D, IF diamond.
The main reason that I am asking for a rough price, so that I will know if their asking price is a reasonable one or not.
Btw, the stone is in Hong Kong now on hold for me.
9.gif

elmo65,
thx for the feedback. Will give them a try.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2005 11:16:43 PM
Author: Fusionvx
was looking around in icestore, and found this 2 stones.
Can anyone explain to me why the big price diff in both?
I don't think even Icestore can! These stones must just be comming from different suppliers... If you look on the database here, ~1 carat D/IF marquises certified by GIA go from $6500 to $12000 ! I am not very surprised though... try any ther combination of grades and you will see the same discrepancy: actually, the higher the price per carat, the wider pricing differences are.

There is no "ideal" standard for marquises, so if any store declares one... you may want to take it with a grain of salt.

This... just as far as I know. And that is not all.

Btw. one pricing factor could be fluorescence - that may account for about 5% discount relative to another stone with the same specs from the same store. However, it just so happens that none of those diamonds on the list have any.

Hope this helps a bit.

About the rarity of VVS among fancies... yes, it is true. But faint is rather borderline "fancy" - the clarity would not bring neraly as much of a premium as it does for higher color grades.

I am still keeping my impression that faint pink and D should come at comparable prices. Now... you have seen just how wide that comparison bracket is.
2.gif
On top of that, local shops do not discount as much as internet sellers - in that regard, pricescope prices are a bit optimistic (or so they say). Since there are not too many other price comparison tools, whatever it does is not bad at all. IMO at least.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Fusion,
Pricing on pink diamonds is very difficult to pin down.

On a diamond graded Faint Pink, the color can be extremely difficult to see- or it can be noticable.
That foct will have a lot to do with the price.

I''ve seen faint pinks that were awesome, and others that were.....huh? What pink????

Have you seen the diamond?

Fusionvx

Rough_Rock
David,
Yes I have. And it''s exactly what it is ''faint'' pink. You can see the pink faintly under pure white light (sunlight e.g.) and more pink under certain lights.
And when place along side with other ''white'' diamonds, you can definitely see the pink and makes the ''white'' stones yellow... even the Ds. Also the sparkle on it is amazing.
I wouldn''t say it''s the best of it''s kind but looks pretty darn good to me compared to other stones.
Hope this helps, don''t really know how to describe diamonds.
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No one can tel you anything about the value this stone.
Even pricing them when you have the stone in your hand and plenty of inventory as we have - it is damm hard.

We had Argyle here on Saturday and even they admit to having have consistency problems.

Fusionvx

Rough_Rock
Garry,
I was just hoping to get a range so that I will have an idea that the asking price wouldn''t be too high.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sometimes very light pinks are sold as low colors - eg L = L price - sometimes they are sold as being special = D
Sometmes they are strong enough to be worth a lot more.

We can not help you - not trying to be vague - just cant help

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI Fusion,
I''d say a price anywhere between $6000-12,000 might be fair.

I agree with Garry- the supply is inconsistent at best.
I remember offering such stones for less than $5000 only 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results