shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on different shade of fancy intense yellow

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris123123

Rough_Rock
Hello! I’m in the market for a fancy yellow diamond, a distinct yet bright lemon yellow. I’ve done some research and noticed GIA has grading such as fancy light yellow, fancy yellow, fancy intense yellow, etc. Since I want a distinct yellow so went after fancy intense yellow first, but the confusing thing here is I found some fancy intense yellow stones have an obvious brown/red-ish tint, especially in face up picture, for example, the picture borrowed from a previous post (hope that’s fine), notice the color on the edge of the stone. On the other hand this red-ish tone does not seem to always show in other pictures of the same stone from other angle, so here’re my questions:

(1) Does GIA have something called “fancy intense brown-yellow”? If a stone is graded as “fancy intense yellow” instead of “fancy intense” by GIA, does that mean it wont have an obvious brown-ish tint?

(2) If an enlarged picture shows a distinguish brown/red-ish tint, will that be less-noticeable in person?

(3) In my case (looking for bright distinct yellow) should I give up fancy intense yellow and go for fancy yellow instead?

Thank you very much for your help!

zzz123123.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call me crazy, but my first thought was that the edge color was a reflection off the yellow gold metal used for the head of the ring.
1.gif

chris123123

Rough_Rock
yeah, this is not excatly the picture I want to use, it''s not that brown, but believe me some so called fancy intense yellow DO look very brown, and those''re loose stone picutres, only that I cannot show them
38.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, that is a simple quirk of photography you describe, with nothing related in nature. Fancy yellow diamonds are not reddish nor brownish - unless there is a note for that on the GIA lab report. ''Rediish yellow'' does not seem to exist, but you may fancy yellow diamonds with other color modifiers: brown, green or orange (e.g. ''fancy brownish yellow'') in any shade from light to vivid.

IMO, Intense yellow is stronger than ''lemon color'' (thinking of a slice through your average lemon out there. But anyway - you really need to see some in person and only after that sort of experience, pictures may be useful since you would know roughly what to expect from those stones. In NYC, it can''t be hard.
5.gif

My 2c

A couple of Pricescopers found Diamonds by Lauren to be shopper-friendly, and since a little time ago they also meet with clients by appointment.

Hope this helps
1.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, at the GIA the term Fancy Intence Brown Yellow doesnt exist.

Like any other "Colored" gemstone, Fancy Colored Diamonds especialy dont EVER look the same in pictures as in person..., That is a fact!!

There are probably hundreds of shades of yellow in Diamonds, I think that even the GIA has not finished their clasification of the different shades and hue''s in the yellow family or any other family. Their grades are based on a lot of parameters..., my simple advise to you would be to see as many options before closing on one, and one more thing "trust your eyes, not the sales person''s"

Purchasing a Fancy Colored Diamond has completely differnt law''s than colorless diamonds!!!

Good luck

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you see this thread with lighter yellow (W/X) than the first. Neither are a fancy intense, but both are beautifully colored.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2006 1:02:28 PM
Author: DiaGem
Hi, at the GIA the term Fancy Intence Brown Yellow doesnt exist.

Like any other ''Colored'' gemstone, Fancy Colored Diamonds especialy dont EVER look the same in pictures as in person..., That is a fact!!

There are probably hundreds of shades of yellow in Diamonds, I think that even the GIA has not finished their clasification of the different shades and hue''s in the yellow family or any other family. Their grades are based on a lot of parameters..., my simple advise to you would be to see as many options before closing on one, and one more thing ''trust your eyes, not the sales person''s''

Purchasing a Fancy Colored Diamond has completely differnt law''s than colorless diamonds!!!

Good luck
yep.....especialy when there is no rap sheet price,or is there?
33.gif

chris123123

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for the replies, really appreciate them!

That Y-Z ring looks so beautiful! I’ve checked DBL, amazingly couldn’t find those same brown hue in his pictures.

And yes I totally agree I should see them in person before pull out my purse, but how? There’s not much choices locally, and the prices are not that competitive. Flying to different sources? or order them online and keep returning until found THE right one? Hmmmm…. Or maybe I could ask a local jeweler to order some for me and since he/she will get the business selling me the setting?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, start by letting the seller know that you want to see a few examples..., he has the ability to bring you numerous samples before the actuall purchase.

chris123123

Rough_Rock
This may also be considered “lemon” IMO, a fancy intense lemon yellow? To me the so called “light” of the lemon yellow is more of a “bright” “young” “refreshing” impression, not necessarily a lower saturation. Anyway I’d like to know for FIY, will certain shade, say “lemon” or “brown”, be considered more valuable/expensive than others?

100fiyh.JPG

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Chris, are you sure all of the stones you have seen pictured are GIA graded? As Ana indicated, any stone with a brownish hue will be so noted on a GIA report. However, I have seen many stones advertised as "yellow" by vendors even though they showed a distinct brownish/golden or even greenish cast. While many people on this board have a preference for lighter, less intense yellows (myself included), even a GIA-graded intense or vivid yellow should be pure yellow in hue, just more so. Any stone with a brown modifier should be cheaper (perhaps much so) than a pure yellow stone that is identical in all other respects.

And I second everyone''s advice that you need to compare the various shades of stones in person.

chris123123

Rough_Rock
Hi GemKlctr, thanks a lot for the input! Yes, I did see most GIA certs (photo copies) of those stones, none of them mentioned “brown” or “green”. Then that must mean the brown “overtone” is caused by the way the stones are photographied! Another interesting thing is that such brown hue is much less noticeable or even disappeared in black background pictures.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
As well as seeing fancy intense stones, ask the seller to show you ones graded VIVID.

Go to the library and see Steven Hoefer''s Book about Fancy color diamonds...

Knowledge and experience in fancy color diamonds is a world all to itself. Dealing with a true expert in this field is key to a knowledgeable successful purchase, plus researching as much as you can about it.

Rockdoc

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2006 5:12:28 PM
Author: chris123123

Then that must mean the brown “overtone” is caused by the way the stones are photographed!

I''d bet on that.

Pictures of diamonds are useful only after you have a good idea what the type represented looks like. Without such background and some mental adjustment between the image and the known ''look''.... you never know. IMO, shape shows in pictures, but brilliance and color needs allot of second guessing.

2c...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results