shape
carat
color
clarity

help, need advice HCA etc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zips

Rough_Rock
I just received this stone today and had it looked at by Joe Tenhagen in Miami:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-a-good-deal.22679/

Just to sum up the diamond - AGS000, HCA = 0.4, AGA = 1B, G SI2 2.38 ct, Table=57%, Depth=59.3%, Crown angle=33.8, Crown % = 14.4%, Pavillion angle=40.5, Pavillion %=42.7%

From what he showed me it was showing about 80% light return, he said it was a good stone, I paid a very fair price, but it wasn't anything great and then he showed me some images of stones that had 95+% light reurn.

My question is, is it fairly common to have a diamond score AGS 000, HCA 0.4, AGA cut grade 1b, and still not be anything more than a decent diamond? He said the symmetry was good but the light loss was caused mainly by a slightly shallow pavillion and crown. The stone looks ok to me but I have not been able to compare it to a lot of other diamonds, and it's definitely not like "wow" but maybe it's the light at my apartment. If I am paying a premium for AGS000, I guess I want to make sure I get my money's worth. I guess I am trying to buy the diamond with math since I trust that more than my eyes, but that probably doesn't work. I know my girlfriend would like this one because of the big spread, 8.74 avg, but I think I would rather get a "wow" cut in the 8.35 range...I understand it could look even bigger if it performs correctly?

I am going to bring the diamond with me and look at some others to compare at goodoldgold when I go to New york next week, but just wanted some input before then. I can return it no problem. Thanks in advance for any advice. The report Joe showed me was the same format as this one I found in another post:

JWL%20Rpt.jpg

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mike
I can be of no help, but would be very interested in reading any replies as well. I purchased a similar stone yesterday (knuckle biting experience), picking one by looking at the maths alone, as you have. I posted about 6 hours ago under "Overexcited about MDX purchase?", but have had absolutely no response from anyone. I have picked out this stone on my own with absolutely no diamond knowledge prior to a couple of months ago. I am starting to worry I have missed something and no one is game to tell me, as I am so excited about it.
The best of luck with your purchase.

zips

Rough_Rock
Your stone sounds really nice, good luck with it. I have been obsessed researching this diamond stuff like crazy the last few weeks and want to get something to show for it along with my money''s worth
1.gif
Hopefully we both end up happy with our purchases

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Bottom line for any purchase, if you are not happy with it, and you can return it, then do so. You can always pick up one of Jonathan''s blinding babies...they''re always looking for a good home.

Shay

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the kind words Shay.

Zips ... if you would like to see the optical results *online* of stones with similar proportions to what you're describing send me a pm/email and I'll link you. I can't do this publiclly on the forum. What the person told you was true. That set of angles, although producing a seemingly great HCA score, is not giving you the full story. I've seen and tested quite a few great scoring HCA stones that turned out to be poopers, particularly of the "shallow/shallow" crown pavilion combos which the HCA does not account for. When pavilion angles fall below 40.7 this raises a red flag with me.

We look forward to meeting you.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
From your post I think your appraiser did a very good job of telling you what you have with that diamond.
Now its up to you to decide if:
1> its what you wanted
2> its a good value for what you paid
3> if it looks awesome to you
4> if you could do better.

The bottom line on it is that it is very good but not the best of the best.
Wether thats what you want is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results