shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a tension setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lornajs

Rough_Rock
My vote is for #4!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
I love #4 - it mimics the shape and classic lines of a cathedral setting, which shows off the diamond and is flattering to most hands. It would be easy to wear a band with, and you''ll never get tired of it.

I''m afraid #1 is too busy and the engraving competes with the stone.

While #1 and #2 might be described as ''classic'' tension settings, they are both more modern and angular than #4.

#3 is pretty but IMO impractical ... some people might not recognize it as an e-ring, and you''d never be able to wear your e-ring and wedding band together.

So my vote goes to #4.

Hope this helps.

fressia

Rough_Rock
I''m finally back. I got the chance to go to the Movado Boutique yesterday. They have some very nice jewelry there!

Sticker shock set in once again! I looked at the setting that is in their ads. It looks like a tension setting but there is a bar of metal under the stone. For a .52 ct, G, SI2 in this platinum setting it was $4300.
23.gif
The 144 faceted stone was pretty but something about it didn''t look quite right to me. It almost looked like it was dirty. What I also found interesting was that when I looked for the certificate for the diamond itself, it was only a "very good" cut and had "good" polish. I expected a patented cut like that to be an ideal cut.
33.gif

Since that is out of my price range ($3,000) I decided to find a semi-tension setting or something that reminded me of one. Then I also would not have the resizing issues. I found this Ritani setting on Solomon Brothers, and I know someone here on PS has it, but for the life of me I can''t remember who!!

Does anyone remember who has this setting?

ritanisemibezel.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to vote for #4 as well - it looks more like a ering to me than the others. I definitely don''t care for the engraved band with such a contemporary setting. Somehow the polished metal looks much better to me for this type of mounting. I really like this choice though - very sleek and elegant!

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I really like this one myself. I would have picked it, but already am having one made that is similar.

tensionwhite.jpg

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fressia, I was only suggesting you see the Movado design. I just really liked the design of the setting. I wouldn''t buy one of the Movado rings either. And I also thought the stones were odd looking, but I think most of the patented stones that have a bazillion more facets look odd. Sometimes, more is not necessarily better. For me, give me a really well cut 57/58 faceted diamond over any of the diamonds with more facets. But that''s just this old fart''s opinion. Also, don''t get too concerned about stone with a "good" polish. You really couldn''t tell the difference between one with good or excellent polish. All it likely means is there are microscopic polishing lines that are visible under maginification. Given a choice, I would and did take a stone for my own ring with good polish, but it had "excellent" symmetry (in GIA speak) which is far more important.

The setting Jensia posted is really cool looking btw. It''s more feminine than my setting, which would be a good thing since you are looking for an engagement ring.

fressia

Rough_Rock
Rod, I know you weren''t suggesting I buy the Movado ring, but since I was there I figured I would ask about the price. I expected there to be a mark up, but not that much of a mark up!

After a lot of looking I found that it was Elepri''s ring that I liked so much. Her center is 1.6 ct, so I can''t picture how that setting would look with a diamond less than 3/4 ct.

I saw the Gelin & Abaci settings on Solomon Brothers. They are around the same price I was quoted. I don''t have a diamond yet, but I was told you need a higher clarity diamond for tension settings as they are more structurally sound if they have less inclusions. The jeweler recommended at least a VS2.

Thanks for the help as I am driving the fiance crazy!
26.gif
19.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fressia,

I'm not an expert, but I don't believe the stones clarity determines its suitability for a true tension mount. It's true that you would not want to use a stone with a structural flaw on the girdle. From what I've learned, it's more the thickness of girdle that determines a stones suitability for a tension mount. For example it would not be a good idea to use a stone whose girdle was rated extremely thin. But, a stone rated medium to slightly thick would probably work just fine. And you can find many stones in SI1 that have such a girdle. So, don't be pushed to spend more for higher clarity as that really shouldn't matter.

fressia

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2006 10:20:22 AM
Author: Rod
Fressia,

I''m not an expert, but I don''t believe the stones clarity determines its suitability for a true tension mount. It''s true that you would not want to use a stone with a structural flaw on the girdle. From what I''ve learned, it''s more the thickness of girdle that determines a stones suitability for a tension mount. For example it would not be a good idea to use a stone whose girdle was rated extremely thin. But, a stone rated medium to slightly thick would probably work just fine. And you can find many stones in SI1 that have such a girdle. So, don''t be pushed to spend more for higher clarity as that really shouldn''t matter.
I''m still learning too, but I was just going by what the jeweler told me as far as clarity was concerned. Maybe he was just trying to get me to buy a diamond that he already had in stock.
emwink.gif
I haven''t decided whether or not we are going to do this locally or online anyway but I at least want to have a good relationship with this guy if we decide to go with him.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of months ago, I would have pretty much believed just about anything a reputable jeweler told me. Knowledge my friend, is indeed a good thing. I believe in supporting local businesses, if possible. I was lucky in that I found a high end independent jeweler to work with. If I ever have an issue or problem with my ring, this jeweler is a short drive away.

That said, being better informed will help you avoid paying for "qualities" you don't need, just because someone said you do. I have heard there are certain quality standards that Gelin, for example requires and it's possible that VS2 at a minimum could be one. Still, I would think the girdle thickness is more important.

Keep reading and learning. With more knowledge you will make a better informed buying decision. And that means whatever you buy will probably be fantastic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fressia
I bought a Gelin Abaci TR-005x in brushed platinum, see photo below.
I also heard Gelin Abaci must approve of the stone.
Fewer flaws means better structural integrity.
Since mine was given VS1 by the GIA and there were no imperfections near the medium-thickness girdle the jeweler said he expected G&A shoud have no problem with it.

Also shop around on price.
The first two jewelers I checked quoted exact G&A list prices.
Mickey Roof is below list, and others can match or beat their prices when you show that you know such a price is possible.

As usual when it comes to negotiations, Information is Power!
If you do find a local jeweler who will agree to sell you a G&A ring for under list they may want you to not mention their name on the Internet.
They could lose the line.

Makers like to keep prices up, it is good for the image of their brand name.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
You could probably have a wedding band custom made to fit next to that ring (#3). Kinda like this:

MTGAB1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not put a wedding band next to most of Gelin Abaci''s tensions settings.

The band would bang against the side of the diamond and chip it.
23.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Freesia,

This one's even less ($770) and I like it more than any of the others:

Gelin Tension

ETA: Oops! It is one you chose.
9.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2006 11:01:49 AM
Author: aphisiglovessae
You could probably have a wedding band custom made to fit next to that ring (#3). Kinda like this:

MTGAB1.jpg

Thanks for the picture... Makes me think that a wedding band can be done custom if the design is good enough and won''t touch the stone.

fressia

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone. I finally decided on a setting, but naturally being the woman that I am, I changed my mind several times over the last few days!

A couple of my friends suggested going out again and trying on different types of settings. Even though I tried on a lot of settings the last few months, I was kind of narrow minded with the Gelin & Abaci settings. After thinking about it a lot, I think I am pretty modern, but I am really not sure if I am that modern. Many of my friends have had buyers remorse with trendier rings, and I certainly hope I don't find myself in that category a few years, or even months from now.

I seem to like the more substantial solitaires so I went and tried on several more. Then I found this Verragio one that I had seen right before Christmas. I liked it, but when I tried it on again, this time I really loved it! I hadn't tried it on with a wedding band last time, and this time I did. I tried it with a 5 stone bar set diamond band and my fiance and I both said "This is it!" I think deep down he was happy that he was involved in the decision too instead of just leaving everything up to me. He really loved the set so much that he upped his budget on the engagement ring itself!
emteeth.gif
I tried on a few diamonds around 1/2 ct or so it in and he said they were too small. I told him I don't need something really big but he said he wants me to be so proud of it! Isn't he a sweetie?
emlips.gif

The center diamond we picked out is a .83 ct G/SI1 ideal cut round that my local jeweler had in stock. The Verragio setting is a cathedral setting but the sides are seem more fluid than the standard cathedral settings I have seen before. These pictures aren't that great because it is much prettier in person.

Now I just have to wait!!!!! My fiance says he wants to plan something special when he gives it to me since he proposed with a necklace. Darn I hate waiting!

Thanks again for all your help!

ENG-0256-Angle1.jpg

fressia

Rough_Rock
emlove.gif

ENG-0256-Angle2.jpg

fressia

Rough_Rock
emrose.gif

ENG-0256-Angle3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results