shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a tension setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fressia

Rough_Rock
Newbie here! I can finally come out of lurkdom since my fiance officially proposed to me at the stroke of midnight this morning! He proposed with a necklace instead of a ring because he knows how picky I am and wanted me to basically pick out what I want.
emteeth.gif
He doesn''t know that I have secretly been looking and going to stores for the last several months trying on everything in site! Hehee!

I have decided that I really want a tension setting. Something different and unique. I have it narrowed down to 4 and I need your help in choosing. When I showed my fiance these choices he still felt better letting me have the final say. No complaints from me!
emwink.gif

The center diamond will be a round, probably around 1/2 carat or so. I don''t want a big diamond because I would rather save up for our house and besides, that''s what anniversaries are for!
emthup.gif

So here are the settings I am considering. Please let me know your honest opinions!

fressia

Rough_Rock
I forgot to say that all these are by Gelin & Abaci.

(#1) This is probably my favorite one. I really like the engraving and think a diamond band with some engraving would look awesome with it!

GAtr004-2a.jpg

fressia

Rough_Rock
(#2) This is just like the first one but without the engraving.

GAtr004.jpg

fressia

Rough_Rock
(#3) I''m kind of digging the swirl on this one but I couldn''t wear a band with it.

GAtr025.jpg

fressia

Rough_Rock
(#4) This is another plain one but doesn''t have the ridge like the first 2 do. What I like about this is that it looks smooth all the way around. This is the only one I actually tried on in person and was drew me to the tension settings to begin with.

GAtr040a.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Welcome
35.gif

I like #4. I like the ring w/o the ridge, it shows off the diamond nicer.

E B

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is #3. Why couldn''t you wear a band with it?

#1 is nice, but I''m afraid the elaborate engraving would take away from the diamond, especially since the diamond is sort of "inside" the setting. Know what I mean?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2006 5:55:07 PM
Author: fressia
(#4) This is another plain one but doesn''t have the ridge like the first 2 do. What I like about this is that it looks smooth all the way around. This is the only one I actually tried on in person and was drew me to the tension settings to begin with.

Someone has this ring here and it looks fantastic on her hand... no doubt same on you. It would be my pic.

And if you wanted engraving - can''t they do it? I know Ti tension rings can be ordered with customized details, I don''t know how G&A works...just hoping they could.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
They are all lovely rings, but I think the first one is just spectacular!!!

fressia

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 6:10:05 PM
Author: EBree

#1 is nice, but I''m afraid the elaborate engraving would take away from the diamond, especially since the diamond is sort of ''inside'' the setting. Know what I mean?
Hi Ebree!
35.gif

I didn''t think I could wear a band with #3 because it wouldn''t sit right next to it. I suppose I could see if Gelin & Abaci has a band that would go with it.

I just found a real life picture of #1. Do you still think the diamond is overwhelmed?

jreed top view.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 6:45:21 PM

#1 is nice, but I''m afraid the elaborate engraving would take away from the diamond, especially since the diamond is sort of ''inside'' the setting. Know what I mean?
Hi Ebree!
35.gif

I didn''t think I could wear a band with #3 because it wouldn''t sit right next to it. I suppose I could see if Gelin & Abaci has a band that would go with it.

I just found a real life picture of #1. Do you still think the diamond is overwhelmed?
The ring in that picture actually looks great. How big is the diamond?

fressia

Rough_Rock
I don''t know how big the diamond is in that picture but that setting is only for a .5 - .8 carat I believe. I am going to email the jeweler that posted this photo and find out.
emteeth.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I personally think the engraving looks out of place on such a modern type setting. My favorites are 3 and 4 but what really matter is what you like!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 6:53:25 PM
I don''t know how big the diamond is in that picture but that setting is only for a .5 - .8 carat I believe. I am going to email the jeweler that posted this photo and find out.
emteeth.gif
That''d probably be the best idea. Though now, the picture has me torn, to be honest. #1 AND #3 are tied as favorites.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My fave is #2 because it has more style/design with the ridge then #4 and you can wear a wband flush with it. #3 is my second fave because I like the fluidity of the design. I personally don''t like #1 because tension setting are sleek and chic and the engraving are antique-ish, so I don''t think it go well together. But that''s just my personal opinion.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love #1!!!!!

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
They are all pretty. :) I like #3 best, though.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
They''re all gorgeous! My fave is #2 and #1

Whichever one you pic, I am sure you will love it! Congratulations!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 6:45:21 PM

My favorite is #3. Why couldn't you wear a band with it?

#1 is nice, but I'm afraid the elaborate engraving would take away from the diamond, especially since the diamond is sort of 'inside' the setting. Know what I mean?
Hi Ebree!
35.gif

I didn't think I could wear a band with #3 because it wouldn't sit right next to it. I suppose I could see if Gelin & Abaci has a band that would go with it.

I loved G+A rings. I HIGHLY recommend that if you haven't, you go into a G+A dealer and try the rings on. G+A rings tend to be larger and heavier than normal rings and you really have to feel them in person--there's a reason that none of the pictures on the G+A site have hands in them IMHO. Don't buy them without seeing styles in person to get a feel for them.

re: ring 3, the bypass ring--I was told the same thing. No wedding band with the engagement ring I'm getting because of the shape and that it would have to be a RHR.
7.gif
I'm thinking I'll talk to a jeweler and see if we can't get some kind of unique shaped wedding band arrangement worked out custom. They may just mean you can't have a traditional wedding band with that shape of ring... my ring is a TR-105 which is a similar bypass style but the non-flush problem will probably be even more severe than the style you showed.

Also, If you can't find a local G+A jeweler you like (or you don't feel like paying sales tax?) I highly recommend Mickey Roof jewelers in New York if you want a G+A ring and are going the internet purchasing route... They haven't gotten the finished product to me yet but they have been absolute pros and worked with me quite a bit in terms of what I wanted, even though I haven't been able to visit them in person. Just thought I'd get the plug out because they've been great to me (knock on wood they don't send me a broken finished product or something!!!)

Also--if you're looking to save money for later I can't recommend a tension setting. They're very expensive. Now if you want a very unique setting, you're in the right place, you just have to pay a little extra for it.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 7:02:10 PM
Author: qtiekiki
I personally don''t like #1 because tension setting are sleek and chic and the engraving are antique-ish, so I don''t think it go well together. But that''s just my personal opinion.

Completely agree, you''d be missing the whole point of the hyper modern tension setting with all the fiddly engraving.

Also, not to hijack the threat, but have you guys seen the G+A styles they put up for spring 2006? If you haven''t, you should check out www.gelinabaci.com, go to tension rings and click on their "Spring 2006" collection. I have no idea who designed these, but they look like they were designed to be weapons or something!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I love #4.

Just a thought, though...did you know these rings can''t be sized? As someone whose ring has been sized three times in ten years (babies!) I had to walk right on past those beauties...

fressia

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the honest opinions. It seems like with setting (#1) that either you love it or think the engraving doesn''t look right with it. Since I myself haven''t seen this one in person I unfortunately have to rely on others that have. I personally really like it with the engraving but I don''t want to look down on my finger in a year from now and say what was I thinking!
emsmileo.gif

Garysax, thanks for the advice. I did try (#4) on in person. There is a place not too far from me, but not exactly down the street, that just started carrying this line. They are more substantial than I thought they would be but I liked it. A lot of people on this forum think that if you have a smaller diamond you should stick with a dainty band in order to maximize the size of the diamond, but all those dainty bands like the Ritani kind didn''t look as nice on me as a more substantial setting. We haven''t decided if we are going to do the internet route yet, but I will keep Mickey Roof in mind. There is also a place in Florida that has them too. I did see the Spring 2006 collection on their web site. I would hope the rings are much prettier in person!
emcrook.gif

I have thought about the sizing issue too. My weight hasn''t fluctuated that much over the years fortunately, but that may all change once I get pregnant and have kids. If I can''t wear it again after having kids I will just probably have to get a new setting or else use it as a pinky ring!

These settings aren''t cheap but the prices seem to be similar to other solitaire settings by other designers. I''m not a girly girl (despite the fact that I chose a flower as my user name
emwink.gif
) and I like solitaires so when I showed a couple of my girlfriends these settings they all agreed that they could totally see me wearing one for my engagement ring. As I mentioned in my first post, I have been looking at rings for a long time and tried on a lot. While I think there are so many pretty settings out there, none of them brought me back to look a second time except these tension rings.

For what it''s worth, my fiance likes (#2). He said the thinks the ridge looks cool. He''s kind of torn on the engraving on (#1).

Any other suggestions would help. I''m not dead set on these 4 but I really do want something modern and unique.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
I like #4 then #2. If you want "modern and unique" I would pass on #1 since the engraving looks a little out of place to me with such a modern design as the tension setting. I do really like #3, but it would annoy me not to be able to wear a band with it.
Good luck!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually love #1 based on the real life picture you posted of it. I really like the combination of the engraving and the tension setting, and I don''t think the engraving is out of place at all. Are you into really modern, though? If so, then I wouldn''t go with #1. My second choice would be #4.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, I''m getting an asscher plain solitaire made at Dimend Scaasi in Chicago (I''m in CA) and I know he has a great selection of the GA tension set rings, too. Isaac has been great to work with and I''d add it to your list if you go "internet"

I just love those settings. The more I look at them #4 is falling to second place to #2 for me. Very interesting, unusual, lovely line.

I hear you about the resizing, and I''d go for it if I were you and you feel OK about being without it from time to time. My dream ring designer (www.stuartmoore.com) makes platinum rings that are also not re-sizeable and that (and the hefty designer price) made me stop dreaming for now. I love them still...

I think these rings will be very you, from what you say!

mara54

Shiny_Rock
I really like the styles that are shown here, but I have to say I would go for number # 2
face23.gif

fressia

Rough_Rock
Ouch! Sticker shock just set in! I got a price for (#1), the one with the engraving and it is $1400 for 14kt white gold! The other ones without the engraving were much more reasonable! Gosh! I have a hard time justifying that price for a gold setting! My budget is $3,000 total so I could still get it and be in budget but it doesn't look like much for the money! I am really bummed!

Thank you for suggesting Dimend Scaasi. I will check them out as well.

The price for (#2) my second favorite, is $710, which is much more like the other prices I was quoted.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the look of #2, see if you have a Movado store in your area. They have a semi-tension mount that looks almost identical. The stone would still be suspended as in a full tension, but there is a bar below the stone completing the ring that would permit more flexibility for resizing down the road. Plus, a lot of the extra money you pay for a full tension mount is due to the complexity of the setting itself. The metal in a tension mount has to be a stronger mix of alloys to handle the pressure necessary to exert enough force to hold the stone securely. Not to mention the pressure exerted on the stone, which means there are only a limited number of stones that would qualify to be safely put in a tension mount.

There are several companies who could make a semi-tension setting like the Movado one. Go to Movado.com and look at their diamond solitaire setting. I actually used it as the basis for a custom semi-tension mount ring I had made for myself, but then, I later changed my design to a semi tension version of number 4 you posted above. You can check out my ring by going to a thread entitled Three More Days.

I hope this helps you...........

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Just as an FYI about the scary resizing thing. I think most G+A dealers have a resizing program at a big discount. Mickey Roof jewelers assured me that they have a special program when I asked them, it's about ~100 dollars to resize the ring. It has to be sent back to G+A and they have to make a new ring with you stone. I think they have the discount because they want to discourage fear of buying a tension for the resize problem, it probably helps allay a lot of fear. Just my guess though.

I'd imagine most other G+A dealers probably have a similar discount program, you should definitely ask whoever you decide to deal with about it.

Also, yeah, the more involved G+A rings get pretty darn expensive which is what I was getting at. The TR-105 I'm getting is a fair bit over a thousand.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Freesia,

If #2 is your second favorite and HALF as much, I''d go with it. Then, later on down the line, you can have it engraved. Have you found a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results