shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Tsavorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 5:12:47 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Gailey once put together a collage of different tsavorites with varying tones and saturations. It was in another thread, but I can''t find it. I thought that was so helpful of her. It wold be nice if she could link to it here. *hint hint*
2.gif
Wasn''t it in the thread about emeralds vs tsavs? Here''s the picture, but the original post had links to everyone''s stones I think.

tsavorite montage 02.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gailey. That''s a very helpful collage.
9.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the link to the thread that the montage originally appeared in. Like I said, there are links to each of the stones here for those that are interested.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
I''ll give Pariba a call as well. I know this is slightly off the thread topic, but, I saw a stunning mintish green grossular garnet that just blew me away, from Peter Torraca.

Photo Link

I called, but he said it had been sold. I''d jump at the chance to have an Asscher cut grossular of that colour. I''ve never seen one look quite like that. Peter said it was pretty rare to get grossulars of that colour, but I asked him to keep an eye out as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that really mint green? It looks light yellow-green to me. Are there other photos of that stone? Multicolour.com has many light yellowish green grossulars, and I think gemrite.com has a few too. Multicolour.com has them listed as tsavorites, but they're too light in color for some people to classify them as tsavorites. There's a type of mint grossular called merelani mint that is a light slightly bluish green (more of what many gemologists classify as "mint") and they're very pretty if you like that more bluish cast to your light green.

If you like light yellow green, chrysoberyl is another option. Some Mali garnets (another variety of grossular) are yellow-green too. Some chrysoberyl and Mali's do have brown though, so you have to watch out for that unless you like a golden yellow.

Here's a Merelani Mint trillion. This color is much more difficult to come by.

merelani_mint_trillion_garnet.jpg

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline_lover: I think you are correct: Here is the only other photo listed of the stone I showed. Asscher Gossler Garnet 2

I''ll go check the links you posted to see if they have anything like it. Would I be more likely to find an Asscher cut in a grossler? This is the first example I''ve seen in this particular type of stone.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tsavoritegirl,
If your heart is set on an asscher, you might want to try one of the custom cutters. My favourite is Jeff White. He''s a great cutter and uses great material. He''s also a straightforward and honest guy. www.whitesgems.com

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 9:39:59 PM
Author: tsavoritegirl
Tourmaline_lover: I think you are correct: Here is the only other photo listed of the stone I showed. Asscher Gossler Garnet 2

I'll go check the links you posted to see if they have anything like it. Would I be more likely to find an Asscher cut in a grossler? This is the first example I've seen in this particular type of stone.
Some people on this board have had more golden yellow grossular asschers cut. Many of the lapidaries go out of their way to find rough that will be optimal for asschers since that cut sells like hot cakes.
2.gif

Also check with Gene of Precisiongem.com. He cuts a fabulous asscher as well from what I've heard. Probably one of the best. His prices are very reasonable for the quality, and he doesn't charge a non-refundable cutting fee if you don't commit to a stone, which is rather nice.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tsavoritegirl,

I am sorry that your thread has taken various twists and turns. You began trying to find a tsavorite. As it's for your engagement ring, let's try to find you a gorgeous one. Name your specifications and we will start the hunt! The other gems will follow. :)

ETA:
Would you consider an oval? This one's gorgeous: http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=348

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Harriet! I feel like I''ve sent emails to everyone and his gem cutting brother. After hours and hours of looking about, I''ve decided I really want an Asscher cut.

The Tsavs just don''t seem to be suited for this cut, so I''m primarily looking for a green grossular in the shade of the one I posted from Peter Torraca. Once I saw that stone, I just couldn''t get it out of my head.

Specs are 5mm (6mm max, although I''d like to stay as close to 5 as possible), Asscher cut, and colour matched to the Torraca stone, budget is $1k, for the gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 11:55:34 PM
Author: tsavoritegirl
Thanks Harriet! I feel like I've sent emails to everyone and his gem cutting brother. After hours and hours of looking about, I've decided I really want an Asscher cut.

The Tsavs just don't seem to be suited for this cut, so I'm primarily looking for a green grossular in the shade of the one I posted from Peter Torraca. Once I saw that stone, I just couldn't get it out of my head.

Specs are 5mm (6mm max, although I'd like to stay as close to 5 as possible), Asscher cut, and colour matched to the Torraca stone, budget is $1k, for the gem.
That's great that you emailed all the lapidaries. Many of them just got back from the Tuscon gem show, so there's more possibilities to be had. Good luck on your search. Keep us posted.
9.gif
. Sometimes you can love a color so much, but you cannot find the synergy of the color and perfect cut, so it might take a while for your search, but at least you got the ball rolling, and you discovered your preferences.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tsavoritegirl, here''s to Peter (or one of his colleagues) finding the right rough soon! :)

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Bruce Bridges got back to me this evening, and could not be more patient. This is a huge relief for me because I was starting to get some major Goldilocks and the Three Bears anxiety.

While I don''t have my dream stone just yet, knowing someone is out there listening to what I want and is willing to help me interpret that into right stone is a huge relief. Also, having the information you were kind enough to share has been a huge help.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
He's a dear and I'm glad that he responded to your message. Btw, I forgot something -- Congratulations on your engagement!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did Bruce have any suggestions or leads for you? Is the Roger Dery asscher cut tsavorite not a suitable candidate? I do agree that for an asscher cut, it is best for the stone to be lighter toned, so a mint or green grossular garnet would look best. I hope some of the cutters will have a positive answer for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is from Bruce Bridges. I emailed him and pointed out this thread to him, so he may be another retail source.

Quote:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your email and enquiry.

That was a very interesting read and I''m sorry for all of the confusion.
Traditionally the vast majority of our business has been to the trade,
but we''ve made exceptions for individuals that were having trouble
finding certain stones or that we simply had a personal relationship
with.

As sadly everything has changed for us now our business model is having
to evolve. In response we will be launching a retail based site with a
focus on jewellery in the next six weeks or so. This will also be an
homage to my Father as he always wanted to create his own jewellery
line.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I may be of any further
assistance.

Kind Regards,

Bruce

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline Lover,

Posting part of a private correspondence is downright poor. Also, given what the Bridges are going through, I cannot believe that you would bother them with internet chatter. For shame!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,
I am personally trying to help out this kind man's business, and surely there is no harm in that. Besides, this is tsavoritegirl's thread to locate a tsavorite for her. I could have reworded his email, but it would have been pretty close to what he told me. It's better coming from him instead. Besides, how do you know I didn't ask him permission if I could post this email?

Can we stick to the subject at hand?

ETA: I do not find this thread "internet chatter." Many vendors come here to learn about the people that buy from them, and this is a very important thread that he should be aware of since we are discussing him. We are talking about him, as well as other vendors. I hope he chimes in and becomes part of the Pricescope community.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
See above where I apologised to Tsavoritegirl for her thread going awry. You chose to reproduce his e-mail even after she had received a reply from him.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 11:41:37 AM
Author: Harriet

See above where I apologised to Tsavoritegirl for her thread going awry. You chose to reproduce his e-mail even after she had received a reply from him.
I was clarifying something you said about him only selling to the trade. I am excited for his new business, and I hope he becomes another retail source for fine tsavorite jewelry.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since my statement has been corroborated (it is accurate as of now), please let matters rest and celebrate Tsavoritegirl's engagement instead.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet it is abundantly clear from Bruce's email that they (like many many many other businesses in this economic environment) need all the custom they can get. I think it's wonderful that Bruce took time to respond to TL's message and in all honesty, it's be a better help to recommend him rather than berate a fellow PS'er for trying to be of assistance. I'm positive that TL would have obtained his permission to replicate his email rather than just post it on here. Even if she didn't, he is obviously going to be launching a new side to his business soon and what better place for some free publicity than here?

Tsavoritegirl - why don't you ask Bruce if he will be able to supply an Asscher Tsav in a ring/pendant????? As you're in touch with him it wouldn't harm to ask (if you don't ask you don't get)! You might be one of his first jewellery customers!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
If Tourmaline Lover's sole purpose was to help, there is a possible world in which kangeroos balance without tails.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet each time the Campbells name is mentioned you come fighting out of a corner like you own a piece of them! I have no idea why - nor do I wish to know. You had no intention of helping until I suggested you do so - you simply came on this thread to have a go at Stoniegirl. If you can''t take it when people answer you back, don''t dish it out.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds,

My actions stem from friendship and deep respect. My reason for posting on this thread was to clear up a misrepresentation of TsavoriteUSA. I could not think of any vendor who might have what Tsavoritegirl wanted at that time, which is why I kept my mouth shut. I will no longer entertain comments or questions from either you nor Tourmaline Lover, or this exchange will never end.

I''ve said it before, and I''ll say it again, this thread is about Tsavoritegirl''s engagement ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 5:11:31 PM
Author: Harriet

LovingDiamonds,

My actions stem from friendship and deep respect. My reason for posting on this thread was to clear up a misrepresentation of TsavoriteUSA. I could not think of any vendor who might have what Tsavoritegirl wanted at that time, which is why I kept my mouth shut. I will no longer entertain comments or questions from either you nor Tourmaline Lover, or this exchange will never end.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this thread is about Tsavoritegirl's engagement ring.

Yep - think I got that part first time round which you appear to have deleted from the post 3 above!!!!

Actually, your actions may well stem from friendship etc., but you appear to want to keep the Campbells for yourself and put off anybody/everybody who says anything about them at all. You had a go at somebody who said they had bought rough from the Campbells and the list goes on and on and on. Whether you like it or not, the Campbells are running a business and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate you jumping all over potential customers.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loving Diamonds,

Please think about what my motive would be in keeping clients away from TsavoriteUSA. So that I can buy up their inventory and monopolise the tsavorite market? Would that I had that kind of money!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Tsavgirl I am sure the right stone will come along. Sometimes these things take a little time.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Enough...
38.gif

I am sure that Bruce Bridges is perfectly capable of promoting his new business when they start up. In the meantime, lets not forget that Campbell Bridges has not been dead even a year and his murderers have still not been brought to justice and if for no other reason than Campbell''s memory, lets not start bickering over all this.

Secondly, this thread is about the OPs hunt for her engagement stone...

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Some it would seem can not see the forest for the trees. Pointing out one "having a go" while "having a go" themselves seems a little odd to me almost like a hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results