shape
carat
color
clarity

help me find a rock online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwings

Rough_Rock
Guys, heres my budget, 18500 on a round diamond. looking for a 1.75-2k ring. Please link me to your best bets! I ill strongly consider.

Thanks!

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
come on, you gotta do some of the work too!!!
you might actually end up liking it
26.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2006 11:22:35 PM
Author: Jelly
A Cut Above Superideal 2.162ct

Weird, I just tried to post this one, but got an error message. This would probably be my pick and with the money left over, you could get a really nice setting.

pwings

Rough_Rock
you think those are too yellow?

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Not at all. I have an I and Jelly has a K and they are both very white. I absolutely love my stone and would recommend anyone buy a lower color is the cut is ideal.

ETA if you are worried about color, you'll probably have to go lower in size to get a higher color for the same price.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Too small? Definitely not! I think 1.5 ct is a great size, especially if its a H&A. They are so close in everything, it would have to come down to personal preference or price. There really won''t be much different, especially to the naked eye, between E and F in color or VS1 and VS2.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 12:20:32 AM
Author: pwings
what do u think of these two:

https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2167519.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1911782.htm

Which you think is better and why? Plus you think that is too small?

Only you can answer whether these are too small. You need to decide what your priorities are: size, color, clarity, cut? You'll find that most people here prize cut over all else. After that, it's a personal choice. The stones you linked are high in both color and clarity which means you'll have to sacrifice size. You can get a much larger stone if you go down in color and clarity. Many people here have gone down to H-J color and SI (eyeclean) clarity with stunning results. I would recommend you go to a local jewelry store to see what your sensitivity is to color. Be sure you're looking at ideal cut stones though. A well cut stone will mask color up to 2 grades (face up, that is).

pwings

Rough_Rock
Do you think H&A is necessary. or should i drop the H&A and go bigger? I really want this ring to stand out. BLING BLING!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are both great stones. Can''t go wrong with either of them. And no they aren''t too small. I like the second one myself if I had to choose. But they are so close so it''s a tough call. I would call them tomorrow and have them pull them out for you and let them tell you which one they like best. People do that all the time. Good luck!!
1.gif

pwings

Rough_Rock
Demelza, what do you think I should get with my budget?

janf

Rough_Rock
I think you wouldn''t go wrong with either one. :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were J/SI2 and F/VS1 above... H&A and close.

My pic would be D-G / SI
31.gif
because color and clarity are independent matters and IMO, clarity is meaningful as ''eye clean'' or not... beyond which (either better or worse) I start to wonder what''s the good in that.

I would not insist so much on the H&A part, if there were many diamonds with ideal proportions and so-so optical symmetry (=H&A) out there, but apparently is either both or none. ''Guess that AGS0 ''Ideal'' cut rounds are not always H&A - but there is hardly any price difference to speak of... Sure enough, you just need one exception to the rule
31.gif
Those optimized proportions I''d still keep in mind. And between the dozen ''systems'' in use, the little dinghy ''Cut Adviser'' (''HCA'') toy under ''Tools'' on top of this page happens to be my darling.

My 2c

Btw. the above mostly agrees with the advice dispensed sparingly on this forum by Garry ''Cut Nut'' Holloway - the gray eminence behind the HCA. With whatever experience I have, couldn''t find much of a reason to disagree.

Not that J/Si2 isn''t a good choice... and there is H... and I between those. And D/SI2 is quite great if your sample happens to look clean.

All in all, the lowest bearable clarity and highest affordable color in any sample would get my vote. And this is what happened here.

38.gif
Btw. Does it have to be round ?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw. E - SI1 ?

The same is listed by two shops: Good Old Gold and James Allen (often referred to by their other shop name 'Dirt Cheap Diamonds - can you guess why they changed
2.gif
). The diamond seems to be the largest (by diameter... and weight) in the above mentioned range and below 2 cts.

There is a picture down the link above showing very discrete inclusions at 30X or so.

There remains the question of the setting. What do you have in mind? Since it enters the budget... it makes a difference here. Although I'd still keep the D-G/SI vote even around 1.5 cts while the setting gains terrain, so to speak.

... just an opinion... I am not an expert and writing this a 0$ hobby (taken as seriously as I can) not 18k expense
32.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Personally, if I''m spending that much money, I''m getting *at least* an H or better--but then I am really picky about color in stones when I''ve gone to look at them.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 12:47:31 AM
Demelza, what do you think I should get with my budget?

Well, personally, I am someone who loves a big diamond. I had a 1.53 ct G, VS2 Ideal cut H&A and recently upgraded to a 2.35 ct I, VS2 ideal cut H&A. I never noticed any color in my G color diamond from the top or side. I do occasionally notice a slight tint from the side of my I color diamond, but never from the top. I sometimes wished I had stayed with an H color or above, but that would have meant getting a smaller stone. For me, I see no reason to get a colorless stone as I couldn't see any color in my G and you pay a really high premium to stay in the D-F range. My personal sweet spot is G-H, VS2. But I also would really want to get as close to a 2ct as possible. It's really a balancing act and only you can decide what your priorities are. Hope this helps!! Can't wait to see what you get!

ETA You're definitely on the right track getting the best cut diamond possible!!! That will ensure it's a beautiful stone regardless of color or clarity. You have a great budget and I'm sure whatever you end up with will be fabulous!

paulc8125

Rough_Rock
Your "budget" is $18,500. That is funny in itself.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
pwings, you''ve got a wonderful budget to work with. We had the same dilemma re what color and clarity to go for. In the end we went for a D color stone, but only because we were color sensitive when looking at a G (most people can''t and they are lucky!). We chose to stick to D-F for this reason but if you are not color sensitive, then go down in color, you will save a lot of money and also be able to go up in size. Take yourself allong to a store and check out the different colors and see what you are comfortable with. The VS2 and eye clean SI1 clarity range is a safe bet - IMO anything higher is overkill, anything lower is more likely to show inclusions.

The 1.75ct to 2ct range is a great size. Your girlfriend is going to be a lucky lady!

pwings

Rough_Rock
First of all, you guys are the best! You guys have been very helpful thus far. Thank you for the help and support. This site is awesome and its not only helping me get closer to purchasing, but educating me on the value for this huge investment.

The stone will be round set on a plain platinum band.

Thus far, I feel that most of you agree that I should only be lookin at diamonds that present H&A. That is fine.
Or am I mistaken?

Also, I just recently learned that a stone can be AGS 0 and not have h&a present. Should this be a consideration.
Do all certifications on AGS and GIA state that H@A are present?

Do you think I can find a 2k H&A G color vs2? in my budget?

Whats up with D and F colors with blue fluorescence, should those even be considered?

Keep sending those links with what you think is best!!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I have an E color with medium blue fluorescence, and I love the way it looks, but I would probably stay away from stronger fluorescence. The E SI1 from www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com (aka James Allen) gets my vote.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2006 12:29:16 AM

Also, I just recently learned that a stone can be AGS 0 and not have h&a present. Should this be a consideration.
neither ags nor gia state whether or not h&a are present because optical symmetry is not graded. if you want h&a, you will have to get a branded h&a that guarantees optical symmetry or make sure you get h&a images for the diamond.

you have been given some great links. you can also search using the ''pricescope your diamond'' feature above to find h&a diamonds in any and all sizes/color/clarity. if you use the ''cut quality'' search, you can also get hca scores on all of the contenders as well
36.gif

Whats up with D and F colors with blue fluorescence, should those even be considered?
blue fluorecsence will be more readily detectable in the completely colorless stones. i happen to like the effect of fluor, but not everyone does. if it doesn''t bother you, then go for it. everything should be considered at this point. diamonds in the size you are looking for are not that plentiful.

best of luck!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Just to clarify: I almost NEVER see the blue tint in my medium blue fluorescence E color - only a faint hint in direct and bright sunlight. The rest of the time, it just looks totally white.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Incidentally, that same E SI1 from GOG and DCD is also available on www.uniondiamond.com for a little less money. Might be worth having them call it in and check if it''s eye clean, plus get all the angles for you. It could really be a winner!

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
You''ll probably find that most, if not all ideally cut diamonds (at least those offered by PS vendors) will have a H&A pattern. But as you say you''ve learned, it is possible to have one without the other, since cut grade does not directly consider optical symmetry (only meet point symmetry as well as the other items - polish, light performance, etc.)

Actually, certs do NOT state whether a stone has H&A at all. If the cert says H&A in the "Girdle inscription" area or similar, it just means that that text is etched onto the girdle, it doesn''t mean that the stone actually has H&A patterning. The labs simply print whatever has been inscribed on the girdle, which could be anything.

Try using the Search by Cut tool here on PS. I ran it for 2c, G VS2, excellent cut and it looks like they run from $24,000 to $30,000. Relax it to H SI1 and there''s a 2.11c for $21,000. Try playing around with the search tool.

This is to an extent a personal preference, I believe GIA ran a study and only found about 2% of stones with fluo. that appeared oily or milky. You should be pretty safe and many here will actively seek it out.

HTH,
Mark

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
The bluenile one doesn''t look too bad at all. They are usually more expensive, wonder if they reduced prices a bit. Here''s a few others I found:

1.725 G VS1 Ideal $17.929

1.790 E SI1 Ideal $17,234

My personal favorite is the one listed above. I think even though it''s SI2 the inclusions wouldn''t be visible. If you call Whiteflash they will tell you the truth whether they''re eye visible or not and it''s a bigger stone. It''s better to have scattered inclusions in an SI2 because that usually means the stone is more eye clean. I like this diamond!! The idealscope looks fabulous too!

2.103 F SI2 Ideal $18,250

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
LOL, we posted at the same time, same stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2006 12:53:31 AM

Guys, what do you think of this? Hows the proportions, any bling in this one?

Dunno about the H&A part because GIA certs don't tell that...probably not.

There is a catch with the proportions reported on the new GIA lab reports: they are rounded up to .2 degrees... which makes a bit of a mess when trying to 'read' into them.

That pavilion angle over 41 degress is kind'a deep, IMO. It helped this stone keep weight up without helping brilliance, according to this bit of reserach I picked up... for the simple reason that unlike the big lab 'black box' grading, the HCA guys have disclosed most of the innards of their diamond research. As much or as little as I could follow, I tend to trust better transparent research
5.gif
Diamonds maybe an arcane, secretive topic - math ain't
38.gif
So... GIA's rounding makes that the HCA score of this stone falls somewhere in range. Which is a bit of a problem with 'borderline' cases. However, this was no 'borderline' - no matter where the real measurements turned up, it would still not be such a cherry.

Sorry for the LONG theory... There weren't many new GIA cut gradees discussed around here. You may find the 'technical' discussion behind my doodle in a recent thread about 'GIA rounding' - 8 or ten pages of it, refferences excluded

38.gif

I hope they will adapt the HCA (or make some other version) to allow a quick evaluation of these reports
11.gif
because GIA's cut grades are rather... more lenient than the usual AGS & H&A 'ideal' thing.

All in all, D-E/SI1 sounds allot better to me than G/VS2. But that's a different story. Your call.

About the proportions in this case... I can't possibly attach a picture. It will get here when the server recovers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results