shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me chose which halo for my 3.15 marquise!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1441598328|3924510 said:
Just because I know you are all curious, here was the wax mold of the previous design. Unwieldily. Amy's willingness to make changes never ceases to amaze me. I love that she is dedicated to making it exactly how I want it to be. I am *hoping* it should be made this week so maybe I will have it by the end of the week? Fingers crossed! And then brace yourself for crazy show and tell photos :dance:
OMG, that's huge!

I love that youre doing brushed metal!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know, when I saw it I just laughed at the size of it, as gorgeous as I know it would be.

I am really excited about satin finish. I think it will be perfect.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hi :) OMGosh to tour fab ring!! I like it as is but...

#2 was first gut. Then read and the cocktail comment was made (yah...)

Then thought #4. The contrast may be really cool and it is more your typical halo. Of course, a ring that size and shape is not your typical halo anyway ;-) GL!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you! 7-10 long days until the big reveal!!!!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited and its not even my ring you must be so giddy I hope it fulfills your remit to perfection and then you can enjoy it for many years to come.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot wait to see your finished ring!! Yay!!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My ring is being set and will be mailed Monday or Tuesday! But I have a tough decision to make....

Originally I planned to have milgrain on either edge of the shank just like MsMadelise's glorious sapphire, as well as around the inside of the bezel on the marquise. My wedding band is an antique channel set 7 stone ring with milgrain around the channel. The marquise will eclipse the band though so the milgrain won't be visible.

So...... I was originally drawn to the rustic romantic feel of Rebecca Overmanns work and am wondering if milgrain will look out of place? The ring will be 18k yellow gold satin finish.

Thanks all! I can't wait to show you glamour shots when Amy sends them Monday. Eeekkkkk!!!!

Edit to add Amy can send me a pic without milgrain on Monday and then we can decide to add it or not but I want your opinions too.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting! ! Post pics!

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
Hi! i've been following your thread and can't wait to see your beautiful halo'ed marquise! Wanted to chime in to say that I would go with no milgrain if you are second guessing it. Milgrain can always be added afterwards, but I've heard that it's hard to remove completely once it's been applied. I have a wedding band with milgrain, and sometimes I wonder how it would look without it- I wish I'd gone without milgrain to begin with. Also I think smooth lines would better complement a satiny finish. I bet your ring will be stunning either way! :)

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's funny, I had them add milgrain to my wedding band after it originally didn't have it. But it really spruced up the look. My original rings are old and were looking.....loved. here is the only pic of the milgrain on my band. Edit to say that this pic may be too low res to see the milgrain at all lol

p_20150723_074503.jpg

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Can you believe that thing is Y color?!

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
I think I just like to err on the safe side of things because I am fickle lol. I probably would have eventually gotten milgrain added to my wedding band, but I am just very curious about how it would have looked without it!

Hard to believe that white, white stone is a Y color!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you. Yay!!!
It's great that you can first review a pic without the milgrain. You must be so excited about seeing the pics on Monday. Happy waiting.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
I just noticed that you said you will be getting a picture of the ring on Monday, so you can decide on the milgrain at that point. That is great and so exciting!! I hope you post the picture here. :bigsmile:

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rough casting pics!!!!!!!!!! :love: :appl: the halo stones aren't set but this will hopefully help me decide whether or not to do milgrain on either side of the shank and around the inside of the marquise. What do you think I should do? I think I may like it as is with the satin finish...

20150919_074737.jpg

20150919_074745.jpg

20150919_074810.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! The ring looks gorgeous. I would not add milgrain.

It will look beautiful with the stones set, but it also looks stunning as is with the warm gold and satin finish.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You know? I had te exact same thought about the burnished single cut stones. I had my heart set on them lije the Rebecca halo and now am really second guessing them. Ah! They will be spaced out but will they be so small that they wont sparkle?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
No milgrain - the band is way to thick its taking away from the diamonds presence - if you don't add the diamonds you need to slim and maybe angle the bezel - its a shame you had to re-design it makes the diamond appear a lot smaller or at least it seems to in the picture maybe IRL its a differant story - not loving the satin finish looks very unfinished - just my tuppence worth as you asked for opinions.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh this looks absolutely incredible!! I think it will be stunning once the diamonds are set in the halo. I'd agree no milgrain although you could consider something like this sholt band for the shank?? Whatever you decide it will be amazing and I can not wait to see the finished ring

Edited to add, I think milgrain on the shank could look amazing, on the otter edges and one line in the middle (if I'm making sense). I think once the diamonds are set in the bezel it will be easier for you to decide if you want to go for milgrain. I'd leave the bezel/halo free and only add to shank.

_34479.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having to choose between delicious and gorgeous is a tough choice and in your position I would be absolutely torn. The good thing is that it will be beautiful no matter what.
If I were in your position I would consider to leave it as is and not change a thing. It's such a sophisticated and elegant look. Very chique and a look that will not bore you. It's fresh and updated, yet classic. And your stone truly takes center stage.
Happy decision making and go with your gut feel.

Perhaps if someone could phoyoshop the spaced out diamonds, it could be helpful for you.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene|1442650858|3929435 said:
* * * not loving the satin finish looks very unfinished.
:rolleyes: Scarcely surprising the ring looks unfinished since these are, as rainbowradish told us, photos of the ring in its rough casting stage.

I'm another vote for no millegrain on this particular ring, rainbow, and like Acinom, I'm leaning toward no diamonds in the surrounding bezel... and hoping that someone (sorry I can't help out) can photoshop diamonds into the pics so you can have that as a visual aid.

P.S. I really like the satin finish, it's more distinctive than the usual, highly polished shanks -- and because of the contrast between it and the cut & sparkle of the stone, underscores/accentuates the diamond itself.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At most I'd hammer the metal. I would not millgrian. If you didn't hammer it I'd still do the matte finish I think that's very lux

The cast is great

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's going to look incredible! I love the undercarriage such detail. I think you can't go wrong whether you use no grain or hammering. A jeweler told me if you do a milgrain and you polish, it will remove it the first time. I know with a hammering eventually the same thing would happen. Not sure you even care to polish si ce patina may be beautiful. Just trying out some information. I really think the ring is beautiful wedding you keep it plain. No cream or decide to do a hammer lock. I personally am a huge fan of hammer.

Thank you for sharing it's going to be gorgeous! Very excited to see the final pictures

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Not that you would agree with my taste or even matters. I think I would choose hammer first, the satin (heavy brushed) look 2nd, 3rd plain gold, last milgrain.

I had a crossover ring that I had heavily brushed and it scraped/wore off a bit with heavy use. That's something to consider. the other part of the ring I had hammered. So it was half brushed have hammered. The hammered section has kept up just fine and look lovely! Reflects the light.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1442636622|3929409 said:
Rough casting pics!!!!!!!!!! :love: :appl: the halo stones aren't set but this will hopefully help me decide whether or not to do milgrain on either side of the shank and around the inside of the marquise. What do you think I should do? I think I may like it as is with the satin finish...

I love everything. I totally get the large shank, the halo looks great I think will be lovely with the scattered diamonds. Will the enges of the halo be rounded off a little?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd still say maybe consider this to the shank if its not too much, matte finish like you like, and it gives a bit of edge to the shank to mimmix what you're doing with the halo.

However, the undercarriage is soft, so not like the shank is out of place.

It looks so comfy and wearable which is shocking for a 3ct marquise halo. Lol.

screenshot_2015-08-02-11-16-42_0.jpg

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sphene, the ring is in rough casting so the diamond is not even set, just laid on top. The band is thicker to help keep the huge stone from spinning and to be more comfortable. I am happy with the wider band :) Amy has slightly smaller fing

Niel, I adore those RO shanks! I think I may tire of them over time though. My wedding band is smooth and rounded so I want them to match. I hope it is as comfortable as it looks. This has been a long journey and I don't want to give up my marquise!!

I do largely agree with all of you about no milgrain. I don't want to loose the rustic and romantic feel of the ring. Thank you!!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And yes the halo will be rounded off :) they have to do that after setting the stones I presume

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Would burnished stones spaced out down either edge of the band be nice or overkill? I don't want to detract from the halo....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results