shape
carat
color
clarity

help from the color savvy....please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I agree Ms. Belle....My room is oddly shaped and I couldn''t find a bed I liked with just a head board style I like (hubby demanded that he be able to sit at the foot of the bed...big baby LOL)..... and it looked so bare...So I found 4 awesome plaster style square pieces of "architectural" art...you know, the ivory and brown aged look....and I spaced them evenly over the bed and it created an immediate focal point ... I also raised the bed high...looks good... I think that''s what I was getting at with the full drapes on each side....it will kind of give the illusion of something going on where a headboard would otherwise fill that void...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually i third pulling the bed away from the window...that window for me is really distracting.

for inspiration on bed placement and focal points above the bed look at PB or similar catalogs, even if you don''t like what colors and things they use, you can at least get a feel for how and where to put the bed, the artwork, the furniture etc.

also i really think that you need a headboard OR to use lots of big euro pillows against the wall (once you pull the bed away) in leiu of a headboard to kind of anchor the bed to the room/wall etc. we don''t have a headboard in our room because part of the bed overlaps a small side window but i do plan to do the 4 pieces of strong artwork in an square over the bed but right now we just do large euro pillows stacked against the wall along the line of the bed to give the illusion of something like a headboard.

another idea is to use something like a large wall grate/iron plaque like the one i posted in the orchids thread (that we have hanging in the doorway) behind the bed (or two of them to span a king) as a headboard instead of a real headboard..kind of fun and different. would go with your theme and look fab with the orange wall (iron color).

decorating is lots of fun but you have to have $$$ or be really creative and be able to make things yourself etc.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Hi all thank you for all the great advice. I did get brown curtains to put under the saris and I think it looks good although all of this needs perfecting!! I go up there to do something and before you know it one of the kids is crying!! It is frustrating but that is the way it goes. As far as putting the bed somewhere other than in front of the window, that will be tough. My DH likes waking up and being able to look out the window although he doesn''t even selep with me, he sleeps in the spare room (He snores I am nursing!) But anyway I think the bed stays here atleast for now till the baby crib goes in his own room. I am not sure where else I would put the bed because there is a window on the other wall too! I am trying to post a pic but I get booted off everytime so I will get it on later. I am heading to home goods tomorrow and I might change the whole look of this room depending on what I find!!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You are going to have a fab time at home goods...

And I just wanted to post a pic of what I was thinking. I actually like the window in back of the bed...

Picture this in NOT this fabric...just the GENERAL look...and you would have the top valance higher than the window and it would end just where it starts and the same on the sides...Expose all of the window and make it look like it continues beyond the drapes...the window will look huge and create the look of a "headboard" focal point...Home Goods has so many of those Rodeo Home faux and real silk draperies ....

In any event...happy hunting!

window.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
I hope this works. I know it looks sloppy, i need some time to myself to perfect it. What do you think?? Should I go for another look or continue on this path?

DSC01754_1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is different?

part of what i don't like (honesty here, please don't be offended!) is that your bedspread looks thin and unkempt. it's not working on the bed at all for me.

i know you want to change that out so im trying not to focus too much on it, but what is it made of? i think that something like a feather duvet comforter adds instant class to a room due to the puffiness of it and it adds more depth to the bed too. also do you have a bedskirt can't tell?

lastly, the rug to me doesn't go with the room but that's probably because i'm skittish around too many colors and patterns in one room, i'm a neutral girl with accent colors!

the window looks better? was something added?

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
oh Mara I totally appreciate honesty, I am looking for honest opinions!!!

Well you nailed my bedspread, believe it or not there is a down comforter inside of that brown duvet, hard to believe I know. For some reason this Duvet cover is huge! My comforter doesn''t really fit in there, not sure if the duvet is oversized or if mt comforter is the wrong size.

I added a brown curtain under the sari, and there is a skirt and a sari. the more I look ar it the more i don''t like it. it just isn''t right. Maybe tomorrow i will find something at home goods.. If I see a slate blue coforter I am buying it and going with blue and brown, I''ll repaint!!!!![ :rolleyes:]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the duvet may be a CA king and the duvet a regular king? sometimes that totally gives me extra material on mine too, i hate it!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
My problem is still with the window drapery. Much too flimsy for the scale of the window and bed...It makes the window look too small in proportion with the bed...but I'll stop about the drapes already LOL...I have a twin duvet that I use for myself to sleep (I don't share)....and I put a full down blanket in there to make it look full....My king duvet must not be that oversized b/c the fit is good...The rug is not my style but I think it works very well...I also really like the color of the drapes..you can always buy some cheap dupioni and make something yourself. Rod pockets are so easy...even without a sewing machine if you use stitch witchery...Happy hunting!!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there desperately needs to be a well anchored focal point. right now the focal point is the window, but i agree with mmm, it is much too light. you need to build up the window and the bed. the colors are fine, but you need to anchor it all. also, try turning the rug horizontally. as it is now, you have the window..the bed..and the rug all running in a line down the middle of the room. it''s just not a balanced look. ...it''s a lined up look.. not a balanced one.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2006 7:26:38 PM
Author: mingagreen
oh Mara I totally appreciate honesty, I am looking for honest opinions!!!

Well you nailed my bedspread, believe it or not there is a down comforter inside of that brown duvet, hard to believe I know. For some reason this Duvet cover is huge! My comforter doesn''t really fit in there, not sure if the duvet is oversized or if mt comforter is the wrong size.

I added a brown curtain under the sari, and there is a skirt and a sari. the more I look ar it the more i don''t like it. it just isn''t right. Maybe tomorrow i will find something at home goods.. If I see a slate blue coforter I am buying it and going with blue and brown, I''ll repaint!!!!![ :rolleyes:]

I think the rug goes well. Does it have orange in it? It looks like it does, or maybe that''s red. Anyways, in the photo is looks good to me! And I think your room is really starting to come together. I like the brown curtains and pillows. Very creative!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock

You're getting there girl!

I agree with belle--turn that rug!

On the curtains, the new brown you added under is good. But you still need brown curtains that go down the sides. The curtains need to be wider. Closer to the width of your bed to balance.

Mara's right. The comforter is too flat looking. You can easily fix your duvet cover being too big. Turn it inside out and sew seams several inches in from the current seams. The will make the area where the comforter goes smaller. You probably won't even need to cut...just sew then turn back right side out. Also, tuck in your blanket so you see the comforter fluffing out over your skirt.

I think you need a picture on the left side of your window to balance out the mirror on the right. I'd find a picture that is similar in size to the mirror. Same frame thickness. The actual picture needs to be somewhat bold with colors from your room. Make sure it is a vertical picture so the top of the picture is the same as the top of the mirror. You could use 2 pictures and stack them if you want but one would be better. Don't worry about the artwork too much. What matters here is the frame filling out the space. You could fold up some of your saris and frame those or do an abstract painting yourself until you find artwork that you like.

I tried to illustrate in paint for you. I'm not the best at it so this is just to get the idea.

Minga1.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Island!!! I tried to do the same thing with the drapes last night but I'm 'tarded :) That looks awesome!!!! That makes the whole thing come together...there's that anchor we're talkin about! Me, you and Belle should open up a
41.gif
decorating shop and you can be in charge of the computer presentation
41.gif
Heck, we'll all form one...everyone has great ideas!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
We need Ana and her super photoshop skills!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done island! i think minga will really get an idea of what we were talking about now. that looks much better!

can you paint a bigger pile of pillows and add a fluffier comforter on the bed that fits just below the top of the mattress? oh..and turn the rug around?
20.gif
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
And while you''re at it, how about Luke Wilson and a box of Godiva while you''re at it...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 10:57:45 AM
Author: moremoremore
And while you''re at it, how about Luke Wilson and a box of Godiva while you''re at it...
some people are so demanding!
11.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
forget the godiva!
18.gif

drool.......JPG

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I tried to use paint a bit more. I tried to shorten the comforter. Not sure what the color of your bedskirt is so I just picked something. I think you should consider putting a throw in your colors at the end of your bed. I just copied your sari curtains and plucked them down there.

Also, on the rug, is there room next to the bed on the side with the nightstand? I just think a rug at the end of the bed will look a bit odd no matter how you turn it. Usually people put rugs on the side of the bed so they step on it when they get out of bed.

Just some thoughts.

Minga2.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh baby! What a cutie!
And that looks great Island! You are too cute!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that last pic looks awesome ID!!! the rug is just totally not working for me where it is and with the colors, it''s distracting.

i love the ideas ID put out there and think a throw at the end of the bed would be great too, something with texture. and yes sewing seams into the duvet is a great idea to make it seem more puffy. flat beds are a pet peeve of mine, i love fluff fluff fluffffff!!!!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
so do you girls accept Visa? You do amazing work and I would hire you in an instant.
Well I went to home goods and................Nada for my room, but lots for the rest of the house. tha place is awesome but a bit skimpy on the bedding dept, at least the one I went to was. I saw an awesome Duvet but of course it was a queen size. I really like what has been photoshopped and I will get rid of the rug, it was sitting in the basement and needed a home but I guess not in my room! The dresser w/ the mirror next to my bed is there because of the crib. Maybe I should wait to do anything till Zeke goes into his own room (soon I hope) then I will have my space back.
I think I might repaint.....................I am stressing over this to the point of my head hurting! I got into homegoods and walked in circles, couldn''t think. I need to find bedding BIG FLUFFY BEDDING!!!!! And then go from there.

I do love hearing all your ideas though, thank you all so much.

If you could start fresh what would you do?
I was thinking brown and slate blue, since I have brown stuff already, I really don''t like the duvet I have though..........

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well here is a shameless plug for our bedroom colors but i just love the calming feel you get from blue. our bedroom is all blue with a white high ceiling, and we have white blinds (we are getting plantation shutters for the room this year because it looks SO cool with the way our windows are (can't really see in this picture but the left wall is 2 large windows then one in my closet and shutters look amazing on them), and then our furniture is a super dark mahogany in kind of a plantation look (love it and it wasn't expensive but looks like it, which is even better) and we have chocolate brown pillows on the bed and white accent lamps, silver picture frames on the dressers. The one thing I have yet to add which is missing (glaring in this picture) is artwork but I want to do super dark mahogany frames with some 'negative' artwork over the bed in either 4 or 6 (2 or 3 rows of 2). I just have to decide on what the artwork is going to be but I love Steven Meyers negative flower prints, in some super dark wide wood frames:

http://www.art.com/asp/search/ProductSearch-asp/_/search_String--steven+meyers/posters.htm?

i just love chocolate brown and very soft blues, mixed with cool whites. even in the heat of summer, our bedroom feels very cool and relaxing and when the sun streams in it looks beautiful. anyway just thought i'd throw that in here since you mentioned blue and chocolate as an option and that is one of my fave combos.

if you wanted to keep the color you do have i would colorwash it or something to lighten it up or give it some texture. maybe a less bright orange with texture like a Ralph Lauren linen or something would soften it up.

ourbedroom.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Mara, your room looks awesome and it feels cool just looking at the pic. I have liked the blue and brown look for a while now but I still don''t know, I REALLY can''t repaint my room so I think I have to work with this orange but I am not liking the heavy look I am achieving. I think I want light and airy (it''s almost spring) my room is lke being stuck inside a pumpkin with dead leaves!!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Pumpkin with dead leaves. If you want it light and airy, get rid of the dark rug. Get a mostly white duvet like the ones posted above. Get a white bedskirt. Hang some artwork in white frames.The drapes will depend on the bedding. Or do some white faux wood blinds which are cheap. I happen to have light blues and beiges and ivory...but can make something work with the orange!

Sorry home goods was a bedding bust. The one by me is full of bedding. Hope they stock up.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 10:19:27 PM
Author: moremoremore
LOL Pumpkin with dead leaves. If you want it light and airy, get rid of the dark rug. Get a mostly white duvet like the ones posted above. Get a white bedskirt. Hang some artwork in white frames.The drapes will depend on the bedding. Or do some white faux wood blinds which are cheap. I happen to have light blues and beiges and ivory...but can make something work with the orange!

Sorry home goods was a bedding bust. The one by me is full of bedding. Hope they stock up.
yep white does wonders for making a room pop and feel more light....

if you did even just a plain white striped sateen duvet they are beautiful (i do that sometimes when im bored with my duvet cover), and white linen drapes from PB or similar...the gauzy ones...you could even do silver picture frames rather than white (i wouldn''t overload too much on the white) and add chocolate browns in with pillows or similar.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
yes...I got some expensive looking large dull silver frames from Target with very large white matting, and I took wonderful prints from an antiques magazine and framed it. Looks great. I love the large white matting with a colored or silver frame....

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2006 3:37:07 PM
Author: mingagreen
As far as putting the bed somewhere other than in front of the window, that will be tough... because there is a window on the other wall too!
Could you put the bed on an angle between the two windows and still have room for furniture? Then put something behind the bed in the empty triangle space like a tree/ plant on a small stand? Then the window wouldn't look 'lacking' in balance.

ps - orange is my favorite color and I love what you're doing so far. I agree with Island's artwork suggestion in which case you'd probably have to lose the rug.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results