shape
carat
color
clarity

help from the color savvy....please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so all this talk about paint and new homes has my head spinning! Dh and I built 2 years ago and we are just getting to thinking about decorating. I painted the kids bathroom yellow, I loke that. i painted the MBath green, I like that.............I painted our Mbedroom............orange!!!! Uh I like it I think!! I did it right befor I got pregnant and now I am not in the pos. to repaint so I have to work with it, so I need some advice. What color bedding would you do in a room this color (see pic) I wanted to go with the indian look, but I am stuck, I can''t find bedding I like for under $300.00, which DH would kill me if I spent that on bedding. I am thinking about changing my whole scheme. Do any of you think one of these Duvets from PotteryBarn would work??

Thank you SO much for any help!

DSC01385_1.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
pottery barn duvets

img65m.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking the green would work because of the bathroom being green but it is a totally different green, oh what have I done!!!!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
would this be horrible???

2e_2.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
or this???

36_2.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
here''s the green paisley........

8c_2.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
hmmmmmmm, anyone???

06_1_b.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if it was me, I wouuld go for a very light colour bedding, maybe the green paisley or a pale cream as the walls are quite dark, but I always tend to go for pale and neutral myself.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
You obviously are not afraid of color and that's really refreshing. You mentioned that you were going for the Indian look. I think you should go bold with your bedding too. I think if you try to go with a light neutral colored bed covering it is going to make your orange walls stand out even more. I could see one combining the orange/green and maybe some brown, yellow and eggplant purple?

I had a couple of ideas:

1. What about buying saris on ebay and sewing them into a comforter cover? Many saris have a lot of different colors. They're also not real expensive. On the comforter cover you would just have to buy enough saris to cover one side. The other could be a solid. I could see a solid velvet--maybe a rich brown? I see texture playing a big roll in this--the softness of a velvet, the smoothness of silk, maybe some beading on your accents?

2. Here's an option from Anthropologie with orange and green and brown.

AnthropologieOrange.JPG

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Or if you want to go lighter how about this one from Pottery Barn Teen?

PBTeenOrange.JPG

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
So funny you mention the saris Island dream, If you look at the pic of my room closely you can kind of tell that my swagged curtain is a sari!!! I bought about eight of them, green and orange I love them as curtains and there is oneas my bed skirt but they are herd to sew because they are so thin.
I LOVE THE PIC YOU POSTED..............off to check that out!!! Thank you

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
well the antropology one doesn''t come in a king...
39.gif

these caught my eye

69103_ora_frt.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I like the orange one you found but the oranges would need to coordinate. It would definitely be a very orange room then.

Not crazy about the last one--it looks like a hotel bedspread to me.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I see where you''re going & I think, when going for an Indian color theme using orange as the wall color, that turquoise can be a really nice complement. Or you could stick with colors on either side of orange on the color wheel (reds & yellows/golds).

I''ve found that Overstock.com has an interesting assortment of bedding from other countries. I didn''t see anything today in turquoise... but there are a few things that might work:

From Pakistan:

P404577.jpg

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Same as above but in blue:

P404569.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
less busy is better with that wall color. that first one in green from PB would be beautiful i think with the color on the walls, you could even incorporate in some chocolate browns in terms of if you get a new dresser or nightstands or similar...with such strong wall color i would keep the rest of the room a bit solid, the patterns in the first PB ones are very pale and light so they would complement rather than detract...

also can you put in some gauzy curtains in creme or something to kind of break up that orange? just thinking out loud. i love the use of strong color in a room but then visually you can't have other things that compete with the color. so i'd keep the rest of the room fairly simple and neutral.

also check ebay for PB bedding, they have GREAT deals on there, i have gotten most of my PB bedding on there for 1/3 of the cost typically. i would also check for their shams etc. did you ever see those chocolate brown faux fur shams from PB? we have those and they really look great with room colors, that would be beautiful.

another idea for the bed is to keep it really neutral by doing something like a creme quilt, maybe one of the silk ones from PB? with texture for some visual but no real color..then the focus can be on the orange of the walls, and here is where the mahogany/chocolate in terms of furniture or shams would be eye-popping, cream, orange and chocolate is a lovely combination for me.

lastly get some artwork on those walls!! part of why that room seems like it's so strong is because you have all this wall space on either side of the bed...good luck!!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Adding artwork like Mara suggested is a great idea to even out a strong wall color - try ebay for that as well as bedding. I don''t mind patterned bedding even with a strong wall color - however, if it were me, I would probably try to eventually do a colorwash with a more muted color over your current orange - you''ll still see the bold orange, but it will be a little less overpowering. Although, it may be my monitor making the color appear brighter than it really is.

I know what you''re going through with this color scheme - I wanted a similar "Indian" or "Morroccan" aura for the dining room in my old house and focused on a great antique piece from India that I found at an auction for a steal, but it was a room that I really struggled with in finding all the right components and pieces... Some suggestions from my experience in that room: I found some great accessories from Pier One that had just the right flavor (carved wooden mirror, mosaic vase, wall accents, and sconces); the room had white crown moulding, chair rail, and base boards that were all wrong for my "theme" so I painted them and the french doors a dark chocolate brown which really really made a huge difference; I used a bright orangey-yellow above the chair rail and used a colorwash painting technique, then used a burnt orange below the chair rail and I maintained this color scheme throughout the room in all accessories (like place mats and chair cushions, although I didn''t have bedding to deal with); a jute rug brought the color scheme down to earth and helped maintain a slightly rustic but not rugged personality; and the large painting absolutely made the room.

So, this is the finished product - but when I was painting... I know for a fact everyone that saw the colors thought I was out of my mind with the walls - I knew what I wanted to achieve and could visualize it, but until I got it totally put together, no one else could see it. So don''t get discouraged!!

47b5dc07b3127cce90201a7be9a900000016108Act2bVm3ct4

You can see the colorwash better in this photo (although the trim looks black, it''s not) - the base color is quite dark, more yellow than your walls I think, but still very bold, but the lighter shade colorwashed over the darker toned it down and made it more visually appealing IMO.

47b5dc07b3127cce9020fde2a9db00000016108Act2bVm3ct4

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Ah you guys are so helpful!! Mara, funny you should mention 2 things, one checking ebay for bedding and such, all of the pics I posted above are from ebay!!! And second chocolate brown being a good color with orange.......pic to follow let me know what you think.
Teebee, oh you are inspiring!!! Your room looks awesome. I am really limited time and budget wise, how hard is it to color wash. I just don''t know if I want the indian theme anymore or if I want something lighter and more "airy"?? Not sure which direction to go.
Here is what I did today. The duvet is choc. brown, I got brown curtains and I thought i could get accent pillows. I love the idea of turq. with orange hadn''t thought of that. The bedskirt isn''t the same brown. Maybe it would look alright with the green paisley from PB.
I know I need art big time. We have one painting, yup ONE painting hanging and it is in our bedroom. It is Dechecko roots, I love it and it inspired the orange. We just raided FIL house for art ( he is an appraiser/dealer!!) and DH and I are going to hang some tomorrow.

DSC01744_1.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
forgot to add ......the reason my bed isn''t centered on that window is because the babies crib is in our room too!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
minga- do you have a home goods by you? Fabulous designer stuff. i never buy full price (well, almost never. I fell absolutely head over heals for a pattern I saw at home goods. Got a very expensive duvet for $30 bucks...and other pieces....I also got one full price as a back up...but it's really the only place I go...

i like the brown very much. You need some pillows with greens and oranges and browns and yellows and reds to pull it together I think...

Also, while we are on the subject....Have you thought about putting an iron rod above the window...and expend it past the window...and then you can hang a straigh panel on each side STARTING where the window ends on the sides (the trick makes the window look large and will focus on the great focal point)...i think that would really work too...and you can get a double rod...to layer a sheer and a striking color to tie it all together that way too!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
MMM, yes we do have a Home Goods although I have never been,it sounds like my kind of place I think I will be making a trip there very soon (tomorrow???) I put a burnt orange sari over the orange skirt and I think it breaks it up nicely (baby is still sleeping I will get a pic when he wakes) And you are right, I need some pillows in the colors you mentioned. The only thing I am concerned about is how dark my room is becoming, while it is "romantic" I am not sure I like it. No I do like it but I will probably change it within a year, DH is going to kill me!!!!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I 2nd the idea on a color wash. You will most likely only need a quart of paint and a gallon of glaze. I did mine by mixing the paint & glaze together then rolling it on the wall. Then I stuck dry cleaning bags over the wet paint glaze mix--rubbed my hands over them to smoosh it around. Then pulled off the dry cleaning bag. It left a really nice texture. You have to use a new clean dry cleaning bag for each section.

I almost think you need some brown curtains to give more visual weight to your windows. The orange sari could be a swag over the brown curtains. But the brown curtains would give more contrast from the walls. MMM's idea of extending the rod out past the windows is a great idea.

Let us see your progress!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I"m into the color wash too! SOunds like a great idea and great look!
If you want a more airy look, a bedspread with whites and your other colors in it will def. help without having to do the walls...
So many great options! :) I still feel that the drapery is a bit skimpy on the sides...but just my 2 cents
41.gif
You hit it right on the head Island, they need more visual weight....I think that is what is missing...and then everything falls into place.

OH, GET YOURSELF TO HOME GOODS. YOU CRAZY WOMAN!!! NEVER BEEN THERE? Be prepared to drool.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh, here is Monica...they do have discontinued chandler items at Home Goods and tons and tons of other stuff! YOu are bound to find something!

monica.jpg

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Minga ~ I really like the brown duvet cover and adding brown curtains w/ the sari swag would look nice I think - like ID & MMM suggested, an iron curtain rod (you can probably find one with a decorative end in an amber glass or beaded to kind of maintain your theme).

I''m running out the door and can''t post for a couple of days but I think it''s taking shape ~ it is hard to decide if you want to commit to this "look" & I second guessed myself a lot doing that dining room - kept thinking maybe I just should have a nice normal room? I think you''ll love it once you''re done... but that can be a process for sure!!!

Hang in there!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
minga,
is there another place in your room for the bed? i love the colors, i think you can really do some nice things with what you have....but the bed under the window with no headboard is really taking away from any kind of rich, ''grounded'' look you may want to acheive. it''s really going to be hard to pull together a look other than college dorm chic with the bed where it is now sans headboard.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results