shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ve sent Rung a message asking about the two above stones. We''ll see if he''s more responsive than David.

Flawless clarity is not important to me, especially in my colored stones. I like a little sleepiness or indications that the stone is natural, as long as it doesn''t interfere with the performance. Hey, my ering holds an SI2 stone and to me it is completely eye clean! As for color, I''m looking for the electric reddish pink color of Art''s stone. I don''t want a dark stone, but I do want the color to be intense. That''s why it is often times confusing trying to use words to desribe what the eye sees and the heart loves. I''m hoping to find something nice in the $500-$800 range.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
....and to put the cart completely before the horse! What do you think of these two K/L omcs as potential sidestones? They each measure about 4.1x4.6mm.

whataboutsidestones.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2010 12:33:01 PM
Author: colormyworld

Date: 3/24/2010 3:03:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/24/2010 2:55:09 PM

Author:Upgradable

Chrono, TL, and anyone else with familiarity on spinels.... would you help me with these three stones. I've got them narrowed down as finalists, but one is 2x the price of the others. I see one grade difference in saturation for them, 5 vs. 4 vs. 3.

Option 1, Option 2, Option 3

Thanks so much!

I don't know, but none of them appear to be as saturated in color as the GIA gemset gives them credit for. I definitely see less saturation in Option 2 than the others, although they're all 4/5's. I suspect they're more like 3/4's. I think option one might be a 3/5.

I think optimal color is more like a 5/6, but I'm not sure you want that strong a saturation and deep a tone.

Perhaps you should check their color grades a little more closely. They are not all listed as 4/5's

My point about color grading is that unless you have been instructed on the finer points You may have some misconceptions which you may not know you have. I guess that your the expert though so disregard as necessary.
I should ask you what your qualifications are, and how you judge color, maybe put that in another thread since I don't want to hijack this one. Have you been instructed on the finer points? Do you have several letters behind your name?

At least I gave a concise explanation of why I think I believe those were not fine color as the GIA gem set suggested. If you don't agree with them, I do respect that, but that is based on my opinion after reading several books on the subject, and collecting for 20 years. Please open a new thread if you feel necessary. Any further comments to get your point across about color grading are bogging this thread down. That's all I am going to say. Snibe comments like your last one are unecessary and rather rude.

Uppy,
I apologize for the thread jack. The two diamonds above are beautiful. I have an elongated cushion Mahenge I recently obtained, and I would love some white cushions around mine as well.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uppy - for some reason David has trouble with his emails and a lot goes into spam when it shouldn''t. There are two email addresses for him [email protected] and [email protected] so if you still want to deal with mc.com try emailing both - hopefully one will get to him.

In terms of AJS, TL is correct that I bought my Mahenge from them. The photo was exactly what I see IRL. In fact their photos tend to be very good indeed. There''s only been one instance where I''ve returned something because it wasn''t as I expected - but to be fair to AJS that was more about my expectations than the info being incorrect.

I nearly bought the first Mahenge you posted above. I asked Rung about the inclusions and, if I recall, she said they weren''t very noticeable. Here''s the thread with photos of the one I bought and it includes the AJS photo so you can see what you think https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-arrived.130123/

Hope that helps.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
NOW THAT''S WHAT I''M TALKING ABOUT!!!

LD, thank you so much for your input! I took a look at your stone and that is exactly the color and glow I''m looking for! I hope you don''t mind, but I''m going to put a couple of your pictures in the "Show me your Mahenge" thread. I''m excited to hear from Rung now! I''m cocking the hammer and am ready to pull the trigger!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
I''m excited for you!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Well, I received emails last night from both David at Multicolor and Arnold at AJS. Arnold answered all of my questions, but David just suggested I try to call him during Bangkok business hours. I think I''m going to start with bring in a couple of stones from AJS. I''ll keep you posted.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m going to check out these beauties. I ordered a small stone from AJS. It''s a 1.4 carat Mahenge with some inclusions. I want to see the color and if the inclusions bother me. I can''t wait!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
yay! I''m looking forward to seeing pictures! Is this the only one from AJS you''ve got coming?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I''m trying to keep more of a cap on my obsessions and compulsions.
22.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
But that''s no fuuuuun is it??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results