shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Chrono, TL, and anyone else with familiarity on spinels.... would you help me with these three stones. I''ve got them narrowed down as finalists, but one is 2x the price of the others. I see one grade difference in saturation for them, 5 vs. 4 vs. 3.

Option 1, Option 2, Option 3

Thanks so much!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 2:55:09 PM
Author:Upgradable

Chrono, TL, and anyone else with familiarity on spinels.... would you help me with these three stones. I've got them narrowed down as finalists, but one is 2x the price of the others. I see one grade difference in saturation for them, 5 vs. 4 vs. 3.

Thanks so much!

I don't know, but none of them appear to be as saturated in color as the GIA gemset gives them credit for. I definitely see less saturation in Option 2 than the others, although they're all 4/5's. I suspect they're more like 3/4's. I think option one might be a 3/5.

I think optimal color is more like a 5/6, but I'm not sure you want that strong a saturation and deep a tone.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I can''t really comment on these specific stones, but I''ll let you know that multicolour is more reliable than most think. I ordered two stones from there and got exactly what I expected. The cut leaves more to be desired in my oval tourm, but the color is exactly matched. I personally think you''ll have the best luck with the first one because it''s tone is much much better.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The order of my preference is option 1, option 3 followed by option 2. Here’s my reasoning:
Option 1: Shows some sleepiness but decent colour and saturation
Option 2: Too light in tone, hue doesn’t appear as pure and more sleepiness
Option 3: Although a very clear stone (so sleepiness) and the tone is good, the saturation isn’t as good.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also ask David if they have UV fluor. If they do, the color gets knocked up a notch when in the sun.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1. Not a big fan of the colors on the other two...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 3:04:02 PM
Author: kayla.tastikk
I can''t really comment on these specific stones, but I''ll let you know that multicolour is more reliable than most think. I ordered two stones from there and got exactly what I expected. The cut leaves more to be desired in my oval tourm, but the color is exactly matched. I personally think you''ll have the best luck with the first one because it''s tone is much much better.
No offense to anyone who has ordered from MC.com before, and I''m sure they''ve had wonderful deals. However, in my case, I ordered three stones from them that clearly did not match up to their GIA gem set at all. All three were returned. I like the idea that they use the GIA gem set on their site, but I wish they were more accurate about their grading.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Good info from all. So #1 really would be worth the extra cost? It was my first choice too. The color just jumps out at me!!

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2010 3:55:12 PM
Author: Upgradable
Good info from all. So #1 really would be worth the extra cost? It was my first choice too. The color just jumps out at me!!
Costs are going to be skyrocketing on spinel, I was reading an article in a trade magazine on spinel prices that states they will be going up substantially. Price is really only an exchange of money for something you want. So if you want it, buy it :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price seems reasonable; I hope it''s not going to be difficult for you to return the stone if you don''t like it in person?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The return policy is within 10 days of delivery.

I have the option of an ID report (beyond the Multicolor report, which I think is pretty comprehensive) at an additional cost. Do you think it is worth having?
Mini Gem Identification Certificate 20.00 USD
Full Gem Identification Certificate 65.00 USD
GRS Gemresearch Swisslab Gemstone Report (2 weeks) 100.00 USD
GIA Gemstone Identification Report 100.00 USD

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I prefer option #1!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word of caution - I love multicolour BUT for Mahenge Spinels, I''m not sure I''d buy from them. I spent months researching them and where to buy and found that the ones from mc.com weren''t as highly saturated as others from different vendors. I also had the opportunity to see two from there and wasn''t very impressed. Now I have to say that this is the first time I''ve ever NOT bought from mc.com. Normally I would suggest looking there as a first option.

However, if you do go ahead, then for me it would be Option 1. It''s beats the other two for colour, saturation and cut - and unfortunately that''s reflected in the price.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 5:12:41 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Just a word of caution - I love multicolour BUT for Mahenge Spinels, I''m not sure I''d buy from them. I spent months researching them and where to buy and found that the ones from mc.com weren''t as highly saturated as others from different vendors. I also had the opportunity to see two from there and wasn''t very impressed. Now I have to say that this is the first time I''ve ever NOT bought from mc.com. Normally I would suggest looking there as a first option.

However, if you do go ahead, then for me it would be Option 1. It''s beats the other two for colour, saturation and cut - and unfortunately that''s reflected in the price.
Wow. Thanks for the input. That''s two votes to avoid Multicolor for mahenge. I''ve been looking; any other suggestions for vendors?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 3:34:25 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

No offense to anyone who has ordered from MC.com before, and I''m sure they''ve had wonderful deals. However, in my case, I ordered three stones from them that clearly did not match up to their GIA gem set at all. All three were returned. I like the idea that they use the GIA gem set on their site, but I wish they were more accurate about their grading.
I forgot to note that the two out of the three stones I returned were Mahenge spinels. Not as saturated as the GIA gem set. That''s not to say they don''t have saturated material, but this material did not match the gem set color codes IMO.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Well, I was ready to pull the trigger on #1, but I cannot get a reply from Multicolor. I''ve emailed David twice, Wednesday and Friday.

On the website it says they will reply within 6 hours during regular working hours and within 12 hours if not regular working hours. Poor customer service is a reason for me NOT to do business with a company.

Has anyone else had this problem with Multicolor?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2010 10:58:09 AM
Well, I was ready to pull the trigger on #1, but I cannot get a reply from Multicolor. I''ve emailed David twice, Wednesday and Friday.

On the website it says they will reply within 6 hours during regular working hours and within 12 hours if not regular working hours. Poor customer service is a reason for me NOT to do business with a company.

Has anyone else had this problem with Multicolor?
Email him again. I''ve had this problem with MC.com before. I think David is the only one that runs the company, and does all the customer service (I could be wrong), but I''ve never talked to anyone but him. Perhaps the email didn''t get through for some reason. When I''ve emailed him a second time, I typically got a response. It could just be an email glitch.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I like # 1 the best.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 6:04:04 PM

I forgot to note that the two out of the three stones I returned were Mahenge spinels. Not as saturated as the GIA gem set. That''s not to say they don''t have saturated material, but this material did not match the gem set color codes IMO.

Of course we all have our opinions but I just have to ask. Would you please share what training you have had grading gemstones using the GIA system. From reading past posts you seem to prefer AGL reports. Why not use their format for color grading?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 3:13:21 PM
Author: Chrono
The order of my preference is option 1, option 3 followed by option 2. Here’s my reasoning:
Option 1: Shows some sleepiness but decent colour and saturation
Option 2: Too light in tone, hue doesn’t appear as pure and more sleepiness
Option 3: Although a very clear stone (so sleepiness) and the tone is good, the saturation isn’t as good.
Agree.......word for word. Chrono nailed it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Now, if I could only get him to reply to my emails!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 11:44:09 AM
Author: colormyworld

Date: 3/24/2010 6:04:04 PM

I can't really comment on these specific stones, but I'll let you know that multicolour is more reliable than most think. I ordered two stones from there and got exactly what I expected. The cut leaves more to be desired in my oval tourm, but the color is exactly matched. I personally think you'll have the best luck with the first one because it's tone is much much better.

No offense to anyone who has ordered from MC.com before, and I'm sure they've had wonderful deals. However, in my case, I ordered three stones from them that clearly did not match up to their GIA gem set at all. All three were returned. I like the idea that they use the GIA gem set on their site, but I wish they were more accurate about their grading.

I forgot to note that the two out of the three stones I returned were Mahenge spinels. Not as saturated as the GIA gem set. That's not to say they don't have saturated material, but this material did not match the gem set color codes IMO.

Of course we all have our opinions but I just have to ask. Would you please share what training you have had grading gemstones using the GIA system. From reading past posts you seem to prefer AGL reports. Why not use their format for color grading?
CMW,
a 4/5 suggests almost vivid color saturation, where a 6 is vivid. I don't think those stones are vivid. Maybe you do, but I do not. I've been collecting gems for 20 years, read umpteenth books, so I believe I have the background to decipher if a gem is vivid or has strong saturation, especially in red hues. Also, the GIA gem set tool is available via the gemewizard.com for helping to evalulate color, but the monitor must be properly calibrated. I have ordered two Mahenges from MC.com and returned both. Neither had the color saturation that I identified with strong color as denoted. I recently purchased two Mahenge spinels from other sources that had more strong saturation than those, but again, I would not call them vivid. Vivid is really designated for stones of the abolute finest color saturation.

AGL has nothing to do with this thread. That was another thread, and I would like to keep this thread on track. I wll simply say that I prefer AGL for some types of colored gems (ie emeralds, sapphires, rubies), but GIA is fine for other colored gems, and their grading system for some gems is simple and easy to understand. Comprehensive gem grading reports are better for more expensive gems with complex treatments.

Uppy,
Have you also tried ajsgems.com. They have a nice selection, and I hear Rung is very communicative.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. I''ll check them out.

And no worries about hijacking. I learn sooo much on this forum!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
New question now. How off-putting are slight inclusions if everything else is what I''m looking for? Here''s an example:

spinel-mahenge-tanzania-gemstone-spi-00354-l.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
and another:

spinel-mahenge-tanzania-gemstone-spi-00355-l.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2010 12:01:43 PM
New question now. How off-putting are slight inclusions if everything else is what I''m looking for? Here''s an example:
I really like the first one you picked (I actually was considering it myself), and the inclusions may not appear to be eye distracting, but ask Rung that. I would also ask Rung if this stone has UV fluor since I, and others I know in the trade, think that''s an important quality to a fine Mahenge spinel. I would also ask Rung if it''s a pink vs a pinkish red, which would help you to determine if it''s the tonality you want. Pink is a lighter tone than red. As for saturation, ask if it has any grey, brown or orange in it. You might not mind if a Mahenge has orange in it, but some people prefer more pink in their Mahenge spinels (it''s a matter of taste). That being said, I think it''s a nice stone for the price if the photo is accurate. I have never purchased from ajsgems myself, but LD and others have, and may be able to offer you more exact information on the photograph you posted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how eagle eyed you are. Are you able to shrink down the photo to real size? That might help somewhat in figuring out if the inclusions will bother you. The other thing to consider is that certain lighting may make the inclusions more obvious since it seems to be across the table. This is a good question to ask Rung.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 3:03:41 PM
Date: 3/24/2010 2:55:09 PM

Author:Upgradable

Chrono, TL, and anyone else with familiarity on spinels.... would you help me with these three stones. I''ve got them narrowed down as finalists, but one is 2x the price of the others. I see one grade difference in saturation for them, 5 vs. 4 vs. 3.

Thanks so much!

I don''t know, but none of them appear to be as saturated in color as the GIA gemset gives them credit for. I definitely see less saturation in Option 2 than the others, although they''re all 4/5''s. I suspect they''re more like 3/4''s. I think option one might be a 3/5.

I think optimal color is more like a 5/6, but I''m not sure you want that strong a saturation and deep a tone.

Perhaps you should check their color grades a little more closely. They are not all listed as 4/5''s

My point about color grading is that unless you have been instructed on the finer points You may have some misconceptions which you may not know you have. I guess that your the expert though so disregard as necessary.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 12:01:43 PM

A lot of times small inclusions are more apparent in photos than IRL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results