shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts and arrows grading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

turismo

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Given that only the Japanese labs have actual grading systems for H&A diamonds, how do you experts out there recommend that I decide on an H&A diamond? All the information here on Pricescope is qualitative. For example, make sure that the arrows are perfectly formed, or that the hearts are perfectly formed. It''s not quantitative, it''s almost subjective. So what is the best way to determine if the hearts and arrows that I buy is actually a hearts and arrows? I certainly can pick out the obvious flaws, such as irregular shapes or split hearts, but what about the more minor things? Are the arrows ever perfectly symmetrical? For example, what do you all think about the following image-- is it a true hearts and arrows? (Actually, I only have the arrows image here.) Would love to hear the expert comments on this. Then I can post the questions I have about this image.

Looking forward to your responses!

-Turismo

hearts_and_arrow.jpg

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
turismo,

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody''s there....never mind.

If you want to know what makes a true H&A just ask the people that make them. Whiteflash is a great start.

Is this diamond H&A? If the hearts are as precise as the arrows then I vote yes. 99 out of 100 other folks would probably agree. There will always be that one guy way out in right field with his engineering degree and geeky devotion to minutia who disagrees. You just need to figure out where you stand. You might also want to consider whether or not "she" cares...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If thats an ACA then its very very likely true h&a.
All you can tell from that pic is that it has nice arrows and great light return.
Heart pictures are needed to call it a h&a.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Yep... it does look like a WF taken IS image...

With their ACA line... i think you can be pritty much certain that your getting a true H&A - Brain, the cutter by all accounts is a very picky man. - see if you can spot the flaws in a stone in the ES line... when compared to their ACAs.

i know i''m very happy with my ACA
1.gif

turismo

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

So, that''s a good idea. I looked at some of the ES cuts and sometimes I can see the problems and sometimes I cannot. I''m hoping the reason I sometimes can''t see the problem is that it would be an issue with the hearts. I wonder why they don''t post hearts pictures? Anyone know?

-Turismo

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
beacuse they aint marketing them as ''H&A'' so they wont show something they know is flawed.. and risk someone getting the wrong end of the stick and thinking they are something they are not... and comparing them against a H&A... thinking the ES is a H&A too...

have a search around... i think you''ll find plenty of similar questions.

here is good for an explination

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2005 5:20:40 AM
Author: turismo

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

So, that's a good idea. I looked at some of the ES cuts and sometimes I can see the problems and sometimes I cannot. I'm hoping the reason I sometimes can't see the problem is that it would be an issue with the hearts. I wonder why they don't post hearts pictures? Anyone know?

-Turismo
Jim, Strm & LS - thanks for the kind words.

Here is some info on what muss pass muster with the diamonds we have in order to consider them true H&A (see standards).

As noted, some Expert Selection rounds are ACA candidates which didn't quite make the grade for our purposes - perhaps the patterning was not true, it didn't meet our proportions requirements or perhaps something as simple as not making ideal sym or polish.

It is important to clarify that there are many ES stones selected just because we like the way they look... Not all ES rounds were ACA that didn't "make it" - the whole point of ES is "best value for the money in a diamond's particular class and category." You can find ES which are far from having H&A pattening, and may be outside of AGS0. Brian Gavin selected them by hand to appear in the inventory because of their beautiful appearance - and they are priced accordingly relative to "pedigree."

If you decide to go the ACA route there is an ironclad guarantee that everything is right with the diamond: Ideal and proven proportions, ideal polish/sym, true H&A patterning and prescribed tolerances Brian has established for the most visual balance over a broad range of lighting. We don't yet have hearts photos up for each ACA, but you can see examples here - they are of guaranteed consistency - and if you decide this is a route you'd like to go we can send you actual H&A of your selection before we ship.

Appreciate you asking.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results