shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart broken and disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know...I was obsessed with spessartines for a while. And spent a lot of money buying from many places, starting with Thai dealers (most of them I have given as gifts to the kids I see in my practice...no big loss, though!) and ending with stones from high-end vendors. I had one color in mind and none of mine could even compare with it. I came in contact with dealers in Europe who offered me a gorgeous stone from the same location I was after at approximately $ 10 K. I thought it outrageous and dropped the idea. Then I purchased a spess. from Marc Sarosi (Africagems), of exactly the same color that I wanted. It was included but the cut totally masked the inclusions. I put it in a pendant which I wear daily because I love the color.

Bottom line: you have to sacrifice on something. It can be the cut (not every stone has to be precision cut although many of use here favor it), or the size (easy!) or the inclusions (like I did). But never on the color! So I would not necessarily chase Jeff White's sapphire. MakingTheGrade bought a beautiful sapphire from Gene Flanigan (if I am not mistaken). It is very small and has a huge inclusion but the color is gorgeous! Do not get "stuck" on a stone from only one vendor. Call around; send e-mails to the vendors that have been mentioned here more often. They may have no material to cut now but get some in a month or so. They can have "remaining" material and cut you a small stone of your own. Even Jeff may have a small piece of the same material. Like Gene cut a small (0.8 ct) Barringo ruby for me and and the price was probably within your budget. Just email them and ask your question. But first browse these postings and see which names are mentioned more often. Even if they do not have material now, mention your thread - I am sure their hearts will be moved and they will keep you in mind.

I can not push any vendors, but I think recently people have been mentioning Gene Flanigan, Gary Brown, Peter Torraca, Jeff White, Lisa Elsner, Gary Dutton, Dana from Mastercut...who else? Just look. Maybe even Richard Homer has some material left. Edward Bristol has stones of different sizes although I never bought from him personally but he can help you out, too.

Another thing: read all the postings especially the one where Chrono gave me advices about the tone/saturation. (Sorry I can not paste the link on my old crappy computer). But she and Lost Sapphire gave me a lot of advices...this is what you have to ask for. I did and got a very nice stone. I have another craziness so I had to pay more (mine was unheated) but it was up to me.

When you find what you want or even have something in mine - ask your questions here. Our gurus give so many free advices and are happy to use their time to help us rookies!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:29:10 PM
Author: winternight
Date: 3/13/2010 8:55:42 PM

Author: LtlFirecracker

So, I am someone who bought an expensive sapphire as my first gemstone, and I wish I hand't.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful stone. But there are some things I don't like about it, and I didn't realize it until I had the stone on my had for about three weeks. I saw things about the stone that I would have never even thought to look at in the evaluation period. I call it my expensive learning stone. If I had it to do over again, I would have started with a less expensive stone. That way I could learn what I really want in a stone, what flaws I could live with, and what I don't like. Than with that information I could go spend the money and get exactly what I want.

My advice, get a lower priced stone and a low cost setting to give you something to wear, and than save for the sapphire you want.

Would you mind sharing with us some of the things you learned? I'd really appreciate it since sapphires are among my favorite gems.

What I learned is that the flaws of a sapphire come out in direct sunlight. Of course that kind of lighting is not in a jewelry store. My sapphire has a large cloud which in most lightings is not visible, but I noticed it in direct sunlight. If I had taken a pin light and shined it in the back of the sapphire, I would have noticed it in the jewelry store.

But I also learned inclusions can be masked. I had it reset about 6 months ago, and it was done in east-west (I was north south the first year I had it). Now I never see the cloud!!! And that inclusion allowed be to afford a larger size than I had initially planned to get.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God knows why I am so moved by your posting...Maybe remembering how during my first year in this country, a piece of my wardrobe got ruined and I absolutely had to replace it...and the cheapest one was sold at an incredibly high price of $ 18.00 at Lord and Taylor?

One thing, many people are asking you about the budget and you don''t answer...as if being ashamed that the budget is low? Don''t be; just tell us how much you have and we''ll be able to help you out more. Everyone started from a scratch; that''s OK. Otherwise we are all giving you advices and they may not suit your situation. If PS-ers knew how much you plan to spend, it would be easier.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 7:15:14 PM

Date: 3/13/2010 10:29:10 PM
Author: winternight

Date: 3/13/2010 8:55:42 PM

So, I am someone who bought an expensive sapphire as my first gemstone, and I wish I hand''t.

Don''t get me wrong, it is a beautiful stone. But there are some things I don''t like about it, and I didn''t realize it until I had the stone on my had for about three weeks. I saw things about the stone that I would have never even thought to look at in the evaluation period. I call it my expensive learning stone. If I had it to do over again, I would have started with a less expensive stone. That way I could learn what I really want in a stone, what flaws I could live with, and what I don''t like. Than with that information I could go spend the money and get exactly what I want.

My advice, get a lower priced stone and a low cost setting to give you something to wear, and than save for the sapphire you want.

Would you mind sharing with us some of the things you learned? I''d really appreciate it since sapphires are among my favorite gems.

What I learned is that the flaws of a sapphire come out in direct sunlight. Of course that kind of lighting is not in a jewelry store. My sapphire has a large cloud which in most lightings is not visible, but I noticed it in direct sunlight. If I had taken a pin light and shined it in the back of the sapphire, I would have noticed it in the jewelry store.

But I also learned inclusions can be masked. I had it reset about 6 months ago, and it was done in east-west (I was north south the first year I had it). Now I never see the cloud!!! And that inclusion allowed be to afford a larger size than I had initially planned to get.
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results