shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart broken and disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

minis1021

Rough_Rock
First of all, hello everybody~ I''ve been lurking here forEVER and I finally show my face
5.gif

So this was my vision--for my something blue I wanted a cushion cut sapphire on a halo setting. And if that was too expensive, a sapphire on a super thin half-eternity band. After seeing Jeff White''s AMAZING sapphires I knew I just had to have it
30.gif
. After finding out how much it was going to cost, my heart was literally broken!! I think I actually heard it crack.
I obsessed about having a sapphire for MONTHS, and after many, many hours of eye-pain inducing research, it''s a terrible feeling to find out it just can''t happen! I guess it''s my fault to even think that my tiny budget can even fit into Jeff White''s crazy-fabulous stones. It''s gonna take some time to heal, my heart was so set on it.
Thanks for listening.....

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
There are many other sapphire vendors that are out there, and I am certain that you''ll be able to find one within your budget, whatever it may be! You might have to sacrifice on size, or on color to some extent, but there are cushion cut heat only sapphires for $100 or so on Simply Sapphires and Mastercutgems. What''s your budget? What kind of color are you looking for?

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about getting something now and upgrading later? Dan Stair and Bob Kast seem to be very budget friendly, and Barry is not outrageously priced either. My FI and I bought my ering with a full intention of upgrading someday. We''re young students and couldn''t/can''t justify spending a lot of money on something like this. You could also consider something like a richly colored blue spinel instead. I hate to hear that your heart is broken. My FI and I looked for 6 mos before we found "the ring" and I got to that point several times. A week before we bought my ring, I had given up and resigned myself to a simple band, but then luck changed. I''m sorry this post was all over the place, but it''s because I totally feel for you!

Good Luck!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you. Keep looking and maybe get something smaller to start with then upgrade later.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''s your budget? JW tends to be very high compared to other vendors...think retail pricing instead of wholesale, which is usually about the price of a Barry or Dan stone.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hoooo Minis.... don''t be sad...

I listen when you talk about tiny budget. I''m always on tiny budget for jewels but don''t stop to search. You can have your dream ring!

It take me many years to find my OEC diamond ring but I finaly got it! Ladies and gentleman here could help you to find your treasure!

DON''T STOP TO DREAM, DON''T STOP TO SEARCH! YOU WILL FIND IT FOR SURE!

It''s true to say there are many very expensive beauties here but there are plenty of splendid modest ring too!

You deserve this dream ring and you could have it!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 2:07:43 AM
Author: FrekeChild
What's your budget? JW tends to be very high compared to other vendors...think retail pricing instead of wholesale, which is usually about the price of a Barry or Dan stone.
Thank you for saying that Freke, I completely agree, but was afraid to say it.

Ebay seller gemburionline/odysseygem sells regular heated and unheated sapphires for very reasonable prices. You can also obtain an AIGS report for any of his sapphires by requesting it, and ask for a memo that requests the type of treatment. Just ask lots of questions about color and hue. Many sapphires tend to have a lot of grey undertones or tend to go very dark, so you want to ask about that as well. Most of his sapphires do come from Africa, but at least going that route, it does help you save a bit of $$$. Some sapphires coming out of Africa can rival Ceylon sapphires, but are less expensive.

I know people don't care for ebay sellers, but I have found this one to be very reputable and I have purchased some amazing stones from him, certified, and at great wholesale pricing.

If you want any recut, I highly suggest the lapidary that recently cut my tourmaline, Jerry Newman. Very reasonable pricing too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t give up! Many of us have bought many beautiful blue stones on tiny budgets. I know gene has some sapphire rough and his prices are very reasonable. Barry is planning on cutting a color change sapphire too so that''s something else to maybe keep an eye on.

And if you are ok with some minor inclusions you might find a good deal. My avatar tanzanite cushion has an inclusion that I rarely notice but because of it I was able to afford it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minis,
I’m so sorry to hear that. On the bright side, you have many options:
1. You can still get precision cut blue sapphires from other less expensive vendors (Barry, Gary, Gene, etc).
2. You can wait for an anniversary or other special occasion to get the Jeff White sapphire which you may not be as restricted budget wise in the future
3. You can get very well native cut blue sapphires from other vendors

You also have several options to maximize your budget:
1. Select a heated stone
2. Go with something non-precision cut but still very well cut
3. Select another blue stone (topaz, aquamarine, etc) for now
4. Sacrifice one of the C’s (clarity, carat or colour)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I so hear you. Many of us started out with very little money. My first e-ring was a tiny 0.18 ct diamond solitaire. I didn''t upgrade for 25 years. It takes time, and if you are fortunate, you will be able to afford lovely jewels when times are better. I think one reason I love my pretty stones so much is that I am making up for lost time. And, even though we are much better off than we used to be, a big blingy blue sapphire isn''t in my immediate future either. They are very expensive.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't mind sharing your budget, that would be helpful. I have a JW sapphire and while it was not inexpensive it was actually slightly less than a native cut oval I was looking at with another vendor. My stone is heated so that helps to bring the price down. I too, was unable to afford what I have now in an unheated. I did check the price on it and it was double what my heated cost me!

You've been given some good names. Gene may still have a sapphire just a hair darker than MTG's that is unheated and is much less than what I paid for mine. I haven't seen it go up on his site and I was talking to him about having it cut for me before I commissioned the JW.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to the world of color: and, yes, it can be disappointing to find that one''s budget just isn''t in line with one''s eye and/or desire for a particular stone.

in life there are always tradeoffs....and with patience and a lot of hunting you will find something that will make your heart sing....maybe not the way the other stone did but time does heal all wounds and you will find a stone compatible with your budget. and while you''re hunting, you''ll be saving more $ towards your purchase, developing your eye re what tradeoffs you''re willing to make and in the end perhaps be even happier.

don''t give up! look at this as a bump in the road that will allow you to learn more!

mz

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 7:02:08 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 3/12/2010 2:07:43 AM
Author: FrekeChild
What''s your budget? JW tends to be very high compared to other vendors...think retail pricing instead of wholesale, which is usually about the price of a Barry or Dan stone.
Thank you for saying that Freke, I completely agree, but was afraid to say it.
2.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don''t be so broken hearted minis. When I read what you wrote, I felt so incredibly sad! If you''re willing to share what you''d like to spend on your stone, we can all look around for something that would fit in with your plan. While there''s a half dozen vendors that we all hear about (and buy from) all the time, collectively we have dozens of vendors between all of us saved in our favorites. Chin up! We''ll find something for you. We just need something to go on.

Hey, Jeff has a stone that I would l
30.gif
ve to own, but it''s just not in my budget for right now. But that''s OK. I can wait. I''ll find just the right "pink" when I''m ready.

minis1021

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you so much for the overwhelming support. I already feel a lot better! I guess I was a tad bit
20.gif
emotional after finding out the cost of a JW sapphire which was a little over $2000. My dream sapphire would be 7 to 8 mm cushion cut in a lighter medium blue. I don''t mind if its heated either.
Even though it would be nice idea to start off with something smaller to warm my fingers in the meantime, I''m willing to wait a bit more and save up (with the help of my darling fiance
31.gif
) and get the ring of my dreams! Thanks again for all the kind and helpful words. { virtual hug }

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen Dan Stair''s site? He''s got several beautiful sapphires posted now. None are cushion, but there''s a few really pretty emerald cuts, and his prices are very reasonable. customgemstones.com.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I'm sorry you're so upset - glad you are feeling better now. I love Jeff's sapphires too (though he is a bit more expensive) and I hope to own one like AJ's someday
1.gif

In the meantime, this may be too dark for what you're looking for but it's the right shape and size-ish and much cheaper. Maybe as a placeholder stone while you're saving up? At least you wouldn't be sacrificing on size with this placeholder.

Gemrite sapphire

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
don''t be hopeless yet! I''m sure you could find something that would fit your budget

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, I posted my response and it disappeared.

Bottom line is, you probably are looking for Jeff White''s stone because many girls here posted his stones. Someone recently posted a sapphire cut by Richard Homer - stunning, but I bet your heart will shatter if you decided to go this way. Everyone has a budget of his own, and very few started with rings they are wearing now.

I remember MaRe''s advise (he is very clever!). Cabochons usually cost less and if you are not absolutely sold on precision-cut sapphire you can get a stunning color sapphire cab. for less $$. And if you are not against it - just look at James Meyer''s website. I just came back from browsing it. It has STUNNING, one-of-a-kind jewelry, which EVERYONE will notice. He sounds like a kind man, I bet he''ll find a nice sapphire cabochon and you may have the whole ring for under or a little bit above 1K - now when you talk about the budget you are thinking of the budget for the whole ring in mind.

I remember Amythyste''s posting - she is usually on another forum but has GORGEOUS lemon-colored diamond ring. I like her idea - she was saving for it for many years, $ 100 here and there, and she ended up with an amazing stone. Rings are always upgradable, but if you have James ring, you''ll never have to keep it in a box even when you upgrade your E-ring. Just wear on the other hand.

brightblue

Rough_Rock
You sapphire girls seem to have a lot of experience. I have picked out James Meyer 1345 which I saw in another thread and I want to put in an amazing sapphire. I, too, was looking at Jeff White and Homer. OUch. JM has a stone he can use but it seemed high to me as well. Why is there such a HUGE price difference between vendors -agsgems, acstones.... I also went to a Gem Show today and looked at sapphires. Can these shows be trusted? In a bezel setting, should the blue be a bit lighter?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stones do tend to darken a bit when bezeled (depending on the type of bezel as well).

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Minis, I would take a look at Richard Homer''s stones too. He has some gorgeous sapphires. His stones are concave cut, however, and some people prefer traditional faceting, whereas some love concaves. Worth looking into. Richard''s stones are generally expensive too but I would e-mail and see if he has anything in your budget. I did that a couple years ago and ended up with this stone for about $600 (it''s a 6.9 x 5.5 mm heated cushion).

PB300022.jpg

brightblue

Rough_Rock
Here is a very inexpensive sapphire. I can't comment on the quality, but check it out!

http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-253335.php

(how do you make a link?)

Would you all just have JM select the stone? Analysis Paralysis

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 12:44:15 AM
Author:minis1021
First of all, hello everybody~ I''ve been lurking here forEVER and I finally show my face
5.gif

So this was my vision--for my something blue I wanted a cushion cut sapphire on a halo setting. And if that was too expensive, a sapphire on a super thin half-eternity band. After seeing Jeff White''s AMAZING sapphires I knew I just had to have it
30.gif
. After finding out how much it was going to cost, my heart was literally broken!! I think I actually heard it crack.
I obsessed about having a sapphire for MONTHS, and after many, many hours of eye-pain inducing research, it''s a terrible feeling to find out it just can''t happen! I guess it''s my fault to even think that my tiny budget can even fit into Jeff White''s crazy-fabulous stones. It''s gonna take some time to heal, my heart was so set on it.
im so sorry about your situation!It brought me back to the first years i was in the jewelry trade and so badly wanted good jewelry(what 12 year old asks his parents for a one carat burmese ruby?...me)I felt like everyone else had the goods except me!But i saved ....and saved ...and studied....and saved and shopped...( not that im gem obsessed)and within time i found the gems that i could afford and that did my heart good!Keep going...you will eventually get a sappire that is in your budget and worth the wait!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
don''t be discouraged!!

If your heart is truly set on a JW gem, or from anyone for that matter, then save up. I searched and searched, and saved, then saved some more, until finally I was able to get a gem that was perfect for me (and my modest budget) That was in July after a good year and a half of lurking/research/correspondence with vendors etc. I''m just now getting it set (after doing even more saving!) I guess what I''m getting at, is that a good idea would be to really think about what it is you truly desire- is it a lovely cushion sapphire? or a lovely cushion sapphire from a particular vendor? there is nothing wrong with either of them, but just keep in mind that although Jeff has done many ''crazy-fabulous'' gems, other vendors have as well and searching through the pages of this forum will definitely show you that.

good luck
1.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So, I am someone who bought an expensive sapphire as my first gemstone, and I wish I hand't.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful stone. But there are some things I don't like about it, and I didn't realize it until I had the stone on my had for about three weeks. I saw things about the stone that I would have never even thought to look at in the evaluation period. I call it my expensive learning stone. If I had it to do over again, I would have started with a less expensive stone. That way I could learn what I really want in a stone, what flaws I could live with, and what I don't like. Than with that information I could go spend the money and get exactly what I want.

My advice, get a lower priced stone and a low cost setting to give you something to wear, and than save for the sapphire you want.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 12:44:15 AM
Author:minis1021
First of all, hello everybody~ I've been lurking here forEVER and I finally show my face
5.gif

So this was my vision--for my something blue I wanted a cushion cut sapphire on a halo setting. And if that was too expensive, a sapphire on a super thin half-eternity band. After seeing Jeff White's AMAZING sapphires I knew I just had to have it
30.gif
I obsessed about having a sapphire for MONTHS, and after many, many hours of eye-pain inducing research, it's a terrible feeling to find out it just can't happen! I guess it's my fault to even think that my tiny budget can even fit into Jeff White's crazy-fabulous stones. It's gonna take some time to heal, my heart was so set on it.
Minis:

I'm so sorry you are disappointed. But perhaps this is just a first step into educating yourself about what kind of stone you want. Use the information you've got so far to move yourself forward in the purchase process.

Sapphires can run $100 per carat to $1000s per carat. There are many variables that dictate the pricing. If your heart is truly set on a JW stone, sort out your budget first. Then, talk to him about it.

For example, if your budget is $500, it's not likely you'll get a JW sapphire of any substantial size. Not that he's more expensive than other cutters, but perhaps his product (quality of rough/precision cutting/colour/saturation, etc) is a higher end item compared to someone else.

When I initially contacted him about mine, he gave me a budget guidline, that lighter coloured sapphires would start at around $1300-$1600 carat. The more premium colours would cost more per carat. The stone I ended up with ran about 25% higher than my initial maximum budget. But it was a case of love at first sight. And now that some time has passed, I don't begrudge the extra $ one bit. In fact, I would be disappointed in myself if I had settled for the less expensive stone he and I were initially considering.

He is well within the ranges of the other PS vendors here, but be sure you are comparing apples to apples. And Sapphires to Sapphires, not Sapphires to another blue stone that could be had for less $ but may have different properties than what you want.

I guess what I'm trying to say without sounding disparaging about any one else's choices, is that you usually get what you pay for. IF it's a JW stone you have your
emlove.gif
set on, then figure out your budget. The focus of his business is creating heirloom, one of a kind stones. And he does a lot of custom cutting, which can be costlier than other vendors who may be cutting for large scale website sales.

Keep in mind that you may never be satisfied if you buy something cheaper...and then your $$ will have gone into a stone you aren't happy with.

Or, sometimes we shop too high end for our circumstances (analogy:I can't afford a Harry Winston or Cartier, but could probably fit a Brian Gavin or Whiteflash in my budget). I wouldn't put Jeff White into an 'upper end retail category' by any means. But he's not a Walmart either!!
31.gif

Good luck in your search! And keep us posted as to how things are going.

LS

ETA: I just saw your subsequent post where you indicated your budget is $2000, and you want a 7-8mm cushion cut which would likely be over 2 carats. Hmmm, that puts you at probably less than $1000 per carat, so you're a bit low. But definitely within saving distance!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 8:55:42 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
So, I am someone who bought an expensive sapphire as my first gemstone, and I wish I hand''t.

Don''t get me wrong, it is a beautiful stone. But there are some things I don''t like about it, and I didn''t realize it until I had the stone on my had for about three weeks. I saw things about the stone that I would have never even thought to look at in the evaluation period. I call it my expensive learning stone. If I had it to do over again, I would have started with a less expensive stone. That way I could learn what I really want in a stone, what flaws I could live with, and what I don''t like. Than with that information I could go spend the money and get exactly what I want.

My advice, get a lower priced stone and a low cost setting to give you something to wear, and than save for the sapphire you want.
Would you mind sharing with us some of the things you learned? I''d really appreciate it since sapphires are among my favorite gems.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Ebay seller gemburionline/odysseygem sells regular heated and unheated sapphires for very reasonable prices. You can also obtain an AIGS report for any of his sapphires by requesting it, and ask for a memo that requests the type of treatment. Just ask lots of questions about color and hue. Many sapphires tend to have a lot of grey undertones or tend to go very dark, so you want to ask about that as well. Most of his sapphires do come from Africa, but at least going that route, it does help you save a bit of $$$. Some sapphires coming out of Africa can rival Ceylon sapphires, but are less expensive.

I know people don''t care for ebay sellers, but I have found this one to be very reputable and I have purchased some amazing stones from him, certified, and at great wholesale pricing.
I have also purchased from them numerous times. I have a beautiful Tsavorite from them - great color - that I got for really cheap.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2010 3:26:20 AM
Author: CharmyPoo

I know people don''t care for ebay sellers, but I have found this one to be very reputable and I have purchased some amazing stones from him, certified, and at great wholesale pricing.
I have also purchased from them numerous times. I have a beautiful Tsavorite from them - great color - that I got for really cheap.
I helped a friend pick out a 6mm cornflower blue sapphire from them. It''s currently being certified at AIGS, and is HT treated only. Although I haven''t personally purchased a sapphire from them, for people on a budget, they''re worth looking at. I would just caution people to ask lots of questions about color, saturation, tone, extinction, and greyish modifier whenever purchasing a sapphire from them or anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results