shape
carat
color
clarity

Have recent Current Events changed how you feel about some people?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I feel like Covid- and some other unmentionable etceteras- have exposed the character, morals and sense of a couple of people to me. It's made it clear to me that they're really not the sort of people I care to associate with any further. Anyone else? And if so, did this surprise you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh, TBH I never held many people in high regard. :wink2:
I prefer animals over most people and there's a valid reason for that. Not all people, just many.

So if anything the actions many have taken during pandemic just revealed more of their true colors and I did not find out anything surprising. Disappointing yes, surprising no.

i-prefer-the-f2db32c581.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like Covid- and some other unmentionable etceteras- have exposed the character, morals and sense of a couple of people to me. It's made it clear to me that they're really not the sort of people I care to associate with any further. Anyone else? And if so, did this surprise you?

Not surprising but super disappointing to see how selfish or callous some people have behaved these last few months/years. On a local level as well as people in the public eye. :/

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Covid has widened the social class divide. I know people who are resentful bc society utilizes them to make the rest of us comfortable. Their lives have been deemed expendable so that the rest of us can have chicken, produce, electricity, toilet paper —etc. If I had to expose myself daily to Covid in order to put food on the table—I would rationalize that I can also enjoy other activities. Subconsciously, I would adapt so that I wouldn’t torture myself after every shift. So when I see people posting on their soc media their outings or gatherings, who am I to judge from the comfort of my stay at home job? I just hope they wear a mask. So to answer your question. No.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Covid has widened the social class divide. I know people who are resentful bc society utilizes them to make the rest of us comfortable. Their lives have been deemed expendable so that the rest of us can have chicken, produce, electricity, toilet paper —etc. If I had to expose myself daily to Covid in order to put food on the table—I would rationalize that I can also enjoy other activities. Subconsciously, I would adapt so that I wouldn’t torture myself after every shift. So when I see people posting on their soc media their outings or gatherings, who am I to judge from the comfort of my stay at home job? I just hope they wear a mask. So to answer your question. No.
Thank you. I needed this perspective.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i can see that logic, it's not something i've heard around here but i wouldn't be surprised if some people do feel that way. it's the people who expect others to make themselves expendable for their comfort and can't be bothered to take precautions for their sakes that i find really gross...plus those who bigger picture are in a position to help and plain don't care.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can see that logic, it's not something i've heard around here but i wouldn't be surprised if some people do feel that way. it's the people who expect others to make themselves expendable for their comfort and can't be bothered to take precautions for their sakes that i find really gross...plus those who bigger picture are in a position to help and plain don't care.

I know quite few “essentials” who have adapted to the risks of Covid of necessity. They have actually expressed this to me.
Also, I am aware of this sentiment as a teacher. I teach high school but I know elementary school teachers who have been told by parents that they don’t deserve to get paid at full compensation because we are teaching from home. Parents who have sacrificed their income to supervise their children and yet teachers get paid while parents teach their kids for free. So yeah.
ETA: I hear you on the selfish ones but sometimes I have to wonder if thanks to those who insist on traveling or getting their hair did or nails did or hiring contractors, etc, if we should also appreciate that they are keeping the economy going since our government doesn’t care to subsidize the small businesses. Meanwhile, you would think Covid is not spread at Costco or target or Walmart with the gobs of people who shop there. So there’s that.

Last edited:

Mekp

Shiny_Rock

I think that's a really important and empathetic perspective.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People should take the vaccine themselves and let the rest of the people go about their own business. You can only control yourself and not others.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.
Both of my next door neighbors continue to have indoor parties and socialize with visitors very often. :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have unfollowed peeps on FB so that I don't have to read about their sh!t.

DK :))

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Without a doubt it has changed how I feel about people. In general I am a very "live and let live" kind of person. But the calculus of that changes when someone else's life choices threaten my health, my life, the health and lives of my loved ones, and my livelihood. I have watched this country's leader imply that the reason we were running out of masks was that doctors and nurses were stealing them, and suggest that doctors were diagnosing COVID for money (when many people actually took huge pay cuts).

I don't really care if you want to go to the bar and get COVID. But when you then walk into my emergency department and create chaos with your critical illness, acquired through your own poor choices that puts myself and the other staff at risk, I am uneasy. Every time I have to sedate and intubate a COVID patient, I put my own health and that of everyone in the room at risk. I have lost two colleagues to COVID and both of them acquired it at work.

Recently, I was early pregnant (unfortunately I miscarried) and I arrived at work to find that one of my colleagues was taking care of a COVID patient and had put them on positive pressure ventilation. My colleague went home and the patient became mine. Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation is particularly dangerous for the healthcare workers who have to enter the room, because if the mask around the patient's face leaks at all, the virus is sprayed everywhere around the room. There was not a critical care bed for the patient within an hour of my hospital, so it was my patient all shift. Every time I had to go into that room to check on the patient, I just prayed that I wouldn't catch COVID from all the aerosol particles and lose the pregnancy as a result.

Last edited:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @wildcat03, in that I am generally a live and let live type of person, but the selfishness of many people has simply astounded me.. I find many humans fairly exasperating! So many acquaintances of mine who I thought were fairly intelligent, caring people spent a lot of time disregarding the guidelines for socialization.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
few people have access to the vaccine right now

Then these people should stay home and wait for their vaccination instead of complaining about other people's choice. Staying home is the best to avoid the virus.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You conveniently ignore those of us who have no choice...no surprise, it has become clear that society regards us as expendable.

My DD is a RN and she have no choice either, but it is her job.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You conveniently ignore those of us who have no choice...no surprise, it has become clear that society regards us as expendable.
I would hope no one would say anyone is "expendable". What I do think is that people should do their best not to contract or spread the virus so that people who do have to go to work outside of their home, or choose to (because some do) have limited exposure. But there are people out there who won't do the simple things to reduce the risk to others and that truly angers me. I find it the epitome of selfishness. And those are the people I want nothing more to do with.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I get the point about healthcare workers not having a choice about going to work- and having to take care of everyone no matter how reckless their choices. We’ve always taken care of people no matter what nonsense they engaged in. The thing is, with the pandemic a persons personal choices put other people at risk as well, including caregivers. I’m tired of working harder than ever taking care of people who have not taken precautions seriously, or claimed COVID was a hoax, etc. and it feels like people don’t care that they are putting me and my family at risk. I’ve also had people refuse to isolate when positive and disregard every recommendation, and then all the people who are refusing the vaccine based on nothing other than “it’s too new”... it’s going to be a long year here in the US.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Then these people should stay home and wait for their vaccination instead of complaining about other people's choice. Staying home is the best to avoid the virus.

Telling people to 'stay home' is like telling people to eat cake.
Not everyone is upper middle class or above, or has the option to stay home.
People working in service professions don't have that choice, although some (healthcare workers, teachers) will be able to get vaccines sooner. Like your daughter, who will be front of line for the vaccine.

According to your logic--you should be able to roam freely, spreading the virus to vulnerable people, and the rest of us should stay home. That is extremely flawed logic.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, so our jobs make us expendable. Good to know
No life is expendable. Your like the fireman complaining about going into a burning building putting out the fire.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
No life is expendable. Your like the fireman complaining about going into a burning building putting out the fire.

No one sends a fireman into the heart of a wildfire, they call them to retreat.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Telling people to 'stay home' is like telling people to eat cake.
Not everyone is upper middle class or above, or has the option to stay home.
Exactly!. That's why I don't agree with our Governor shutting down all the small businesses here in Ca. Two of my friends went out of business because of this shut down.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to your logic--you should be able to roam freely, spreading the virus to vulnerable people, and the rest of us should stay home. That is extremely flawed logic.
These vulnerable people should stay home period!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! More like I am the firefighter willing to run into the burning building at my own peril - even though the only person to be saved is the arsonist.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if, instead of my colleague, it was your daughter who died on Dec 23 of COVID she caught at work, leaving a husband and two kids behind (she was not a vulnerable person and was young).

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation is particularly dangerous for the healthcare workers who have to enter the room, because if the mask around the patient's face leaks at all, the virus is sprayed everywhere around the room.

I am so sorry for your loss I really have no words.

I have a bi-pap in the age of covid story.
I have bad copd as well as sleep apnia.
I had a copd exacerbation and put off going to the er almost to long. co2 was sky high.
Luckily my pulmonologist was on duty that night.
He put me in a suitable room on bi-pap even before the covid test came back negative because I would have not made it off a vent in his opinion which is what the other doc wanted to do. I knew that and that is why I avoided going in so long because the news was reporting no one was allowed bipap they were putting everyone on vents.
Another doc came on duty and had a fit about the bi-pap, I was groggy but I could hear him yelling ranting and raving about it.
Some time later the test came back negative so they moved me out of icu up one level with the bipap.

A few weeks later had another episode but not nearly as bad as I wnt in earlier so they just did o2 treatment until the test results in and I used the bi-pap all night.

Thank you for your service!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results