shape
carat
color
clarity

Have recent Current Events changed how you feel about some people?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is shocking considering people are contagious before they have symptoms. This can be a source of outbreaks. From what you describe, there are no good solutions.
[/QUOTE/]

I can tell you that I know personally 5 “ essentials” in the private sector who have been exposed, notified their company, and have been told to report to work if they have no symptoms. All are Covid-free, Thank God, but I agree that’s how Covid spreads. Lots of greedy companies that don’t really care.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is shocking considering people are contagious before they have symptoms. This can be a source of outbreaks. From what you describe, there are no good solutions.

I agree. I think What shocks me the most is that my co-workers who tested positive for Covid are told they don’t need to retest prior to coming back to work.
I was really shocked to find that out. I feel if you were positive you should be retested before going back to work but I found out it’s not required. You self quarantine for the 14 days and as long as you are symptomless you are cleared to return.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is what every doctor I've spoken to confirmed for me re: my son who has Covid (do not get him re-tested). Each said many people continue to test positive after 14 days, but after that time they are not contagious.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know anyone who isn't taking covid seriously, and other things have not changed the way I see people. But I know that at least one person has changed toward ME, so it's the other way round from the OP's take:

In a local election, I didn't vote the way that one friend thought I should, and she's been distinctly frosty to me ever since - 18-24 months later! The candidate she liked was very anti-Semitic and their politics were also at an extreme end of the spectrum, and she thought I should have voted for that person, like her. There's no way I was going to vote for an anti-Semite, and I don't hold extreme political views, either. I actually didn't have any clue how extreme she is, until she reacted that way to my vote - otherwise I wouldn't have told her!! It's such a pity that extreme politics had to color an otherwise nice friendship. But perhaps it's not such a huge loss. I find people at extreme ends of the political spectrum to be tiresome because their views color absolutely everything. Once, at work, I made a mild remark about how pretty the Christmas decorations were, and I got an atheist rant in response - and the decs weren't even religious, they were things like snowflakes, owls, and deer!

So no, I haven't changed toward others, but I've had the opposite experience!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know anyone who isn't taking covid seriously, and other things have not changed the way I see people. But I know that at least one person has changed toward ME, so it's the other way round from the OP's take:

In a local election, I didn't vote the way that one friend thought I should, and she's been distinctly frosty to me ever since - 18-24 months later! The candidate she liked was very anti-Semitic and their politics were also at an extreme end of the spectrum, and she thought I should have voted for that person, like her. There's no way I was going to vote for an anti-Semite, and I don't hold extreme political views, either. I actually didn't have any clue how extreme she is, until she reacted that way to my vote - otherwise I wouldn't have told her!! It's such a pity that extreme politics had to color an otherwise nice friendship. But perhaps it's not such a huge loss. I find people at extreme ends of the political spectrum to be tiresome because their views color absolutely everything. Once, at work, I made a mild remark about how pretty the Christmas decorations were, and I got an atheist rant in response - and the decs weren't even religious, they were things like snowflakes, owls, and deer!

So no, I haven't changed toward others, but I've had the opposite experience!

I‘m sorry @Jambalaya...I’ve always refused to talk politics even with my own family. I don’t even tell my husband who I’m voting for. He knows because he knows me but I don’t come out and say it.. I’ve seen some ugly things go down when people start discussing politics. I have a friend who has become absolutely crazy vowing to disown anyone who votes for someone other than who she votes for. As it was I voted for the same person but I still kept it a secret. She’s disowned many friends over this...She professes to be a religious person...I’m not...but she is filled with hate...and then quotes scripture...It so ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I refuse to get in any kind of political discussion. I will shut my mouth and wait until they stop asking me..and go on as usual..I get the fish eye but I can live with that.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I will never see my “friends” the same way, who said: Covid is just flu, people died everyday, none make fuss out of it why people are fussing about Covid? 50thousands American died from flu every year, why Covid such a big deal?
Yeap... I decided to not make a comment about their statement, but yea...

some of my friends in other part of the world also said “we just have to accept to live along side Covid”. As the whole country doesn’t give a d*mn about Covid. Cafes are full, no social distancing, my other friend posted in her social media a picture of couple bottles of wine and mentioning about “Quarantine life” which from the same person, I saw her posts going around town, hopping restaurants, her DH went travel to the States and they went to see movie couple days later, I really want to say “What quarantine life are you talking about?” But I just keep my mouth shouts.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I‘m sorry @Jambalaya...I’ve always refused to talk politics even with my own family. I don’t even tell my husband who I’m voting for. He knows because he knows me but I don’t come out and say it.. I’ve seen some ugly things go down when people start discussing politics. I have a friend who has become absolutely crazy vowing to disown anyone who votes for someone other than who she votes for. As it was I voted for the same person but I still kept it a secret. She’s disowned many friends over this...She professes to be a religious person...I’m not...but she is filled with hate...and then quotes scripture...It so ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I refuse to get in any kind of political discussion. I will shut my mouth and wait until they stop asking me..and go on as usual..I get the fish eye but I can live with that.

Thanks, MamaBee. I've definitely learned my lesson. This friend seemed like a mild person, and I had NO idea that she held such extreme views. None whatsoever! Makes you wonder who else around you is hiding extreme political views. Your stance about never discussing politics is such a wise one, and I'm going to do that too, from now on.

Like in your example above, I think this friend is someone who disowns someone who votes differently from her, too, and who needs that? I pointed out the anti-Semitism, and she still felt that the political dogma of her extreme position trumped all, which I'll never agree with. I'm just more moderate than that.

So if a close friend or family member asks you who you voted for, what do you say? I imagine it's more difficult to decline to discuss it with a person you're otherwise close to than if some random stranger asked you.

ETA: At work, there are people who will make a political remark to see how you react, I guess, without actually asking you something direct. I need to ignore that more. I've also had two people make remarks pertaining to religion, and I happened to find the nature of those remarks really offensive, although of course I didn't say anything. They assumed my stance was the same as theirs, and it wasn't. I don't know why people can't just stay off the subjects of politics and religion at work, like they're supposed to!

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
This is the current recommendation and follows CDC guidelines. A subset of folks continue to shed virus particles for weeks or months after infection even though there virus is dead and the person is not infectious. Actually not recommended to retest within 90 days unless in specific situations (reinfection risk is very low in the first few months as well)

This is what every doctor I've spoken to confirmed for me re: my son who has Covid (do not get him re-tested). Each said many people continue to test positive after 14 days, but after that time they are not contagious.

You work in a medical setting and you will get into trouble for staying home if you’ve been exposed??

It depends, if the exposure occurs at work and we have been wearing appropriate PPE we do not stay home and isolate. The CDC has separate exposure guidelines for medical staff. The expectation is that we are careful in our off time- if exposed outside of work when not in medical PPE one should isolate of course but some workplaces are better about this than others with regard to pressure/judgement.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, MamaBee. I've definitely learned my lesson. This friend seemed like a mild person, and I had NO idea that she held such extreme views. None whatsoever! Makes you wonder who else around you is hiding extreme political views. Your stance about never discussing politics is such a wise one, and I'm going to do that too, from now on.

Like in your example above, I think this friend is someone who disowns someone who votes differently from her, too, and who needs that? I pointed out the anti-Semitism, and she still felt that the political dogma of her extreme position trumped all, which I'll never agree with. I'm just more moderate than that.

So if a close friend or family member asks you who you voted for, what do you say? I imagine it's more difficult to decline to discuss it with a person you're otherwise close to than if some random stranger asked you.

ETA: At work, there are people who will make a political remark to see how you react, I guess, without actually asking you something direct. I need to ignore that more. I've also had two people make remarks pertaining to religion, and I happened to find the nature of those remarks really offensive, although of course I didn't say anything. They assumed my stance was the same as theirs, and it wasn't. I don't know why people can't just stay off the subjects of politics and religion at work, like they're supposed to!

@Jambalaya They just know...I’m such a talkative person that if I shut up you know it’s off limits. I sometimes will have to say to clueless people...that I don’t discuss politics at all. They try to bait me..but my mouth clamps shut like a vault.
I won’t confront people other than family and friends either if they say something offensive. I won’t engage. I’ll usually walk away...Silence can be very loud. It works for me.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I think What shocks me the most is that my co-workers who tested positive for Covid are told they don’t need to retest prior to coming back to work.
I was really shocked to find that out. I feel if you were positive you should be retested before going back to work but I found out it’s not required. You self quarantine for the 14 days and as long as you are symptomless you are cleared to return.

This is actually reasonable. Studies have attempted to isolate replication-competent (infectious) virus in patients have not been able to do so after day 9 of infection. Small sequences of (dead) viral DNA can actually persist for months, but have not been demonstrated to cause infection.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
@wildcat03 or @FL_runner ... may I ask your advice? Tomorrow is day 10 day since my son tested positive. He's been in isolation since Christmas Day when his result came in. Any guidance on when isolation should end? I see 14 days and 10 days from test date. He is symptom free.

I am just looking for re-assurance on the date and am really nervous about exposing the rest in my home, but also understand he is going batty and is now symptom free. Any advice?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. If I have no symptoms. If I have symptoms then that’s different. As I said I am exposed to patients all the time. If I stay home every time I am exposed without symptoms and don’t test positive for Covid, that 30 times I called out of work.
What job would keep anyone who called out that many times? Especially when they don’t have symptoms.

So basically if I call and say my daughter went to school and the teacher was positive a few days ago, I just found out now. My daughter and I have no symptoms but I am staying at home because I was exposed.
I will be told to come to work and if I don’t I will get into trouble.

There is only so much paid time off we accrue as well. Everytime we call out we use it. We don’t have unlimited sick time. So if I was exposed to 30 patients and called out every time I was exposed, I honestly would not be able to survive. I only work two to three days a week. Covid results take two days to come back normally. So if I was exposed today, got tested the next day and had to wait two days for my results, I have now been out of work for the whole week. Multiply that by each exposure and you have no pto to cover you.

This. I am exposed to 10-20 positives EVERY SINGLE DAY I WORK. Literally every day. If everyone just stayed home from exposure (although no symptoms), we'd have zero people in the health care field. Good grief.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since one can test positive for up to 90 days after initial test, it doesn't make sense to keep testing after the 10 days "contagious period" is over. However, some employers require it. We see several patients who test positive week after week after week. We know they're not contagious, but they can't go back to work per their employers. Our corporate policy is quarantine/no work for 10 days after the last day of symptoms.

Last edited:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
@wildcat03 or @FL_runner ... may I ask your advice? Tomorrow is day 10 day since my son tested positive. He's been in isolation since Christmas Day when his result came in. Any guidance on when isolation should end? I see 14 days and 10 days from test date. He is symptom free.

I am just looking for re-assurance on the date and am really nervous about exposing the rest in my home, but also understand he is going batty and is now symptom free. Any advice?

I use CDC guidelines. 10 days from test (or from symptoms start), no fever x24 hours without any fever reducing medications, all symptoms improving.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I'm addressing your statement, "he is symptom free."

When we simply breath we all project tiny droplets of saliva into the air.
Singing projects more droplets, coughing and sneezing even more.
Some droplets are so small and light that they do not fall to the ground.
They linger and float in the air long enough for others to breath them in.

The droplets from people who are positive for COVID (even the "symptom-free" ones) contain the COVID virus.
This is why I see "symptom-free" as irrelevant in decision making.

I'd search for, "When is someone who had Covid no longer contagious?"

If CDC says that after recovery a person who is symptom free is no longer contagious, that's good enough for me.
I say this because I've read:
1. people who get it but never develop symptoms are still contagious and can spread it to others.
2. People who get it, but don't yet have symptoms, can still spread it to others.

For folks who are asymptomatic and never have symptoms CDC recommends 10 days after the test as the time when it can be assumed the person is no longer infectious. It’s based off knowledge of the average COVID virus life cycle. But the guidelines should always be interpreted in the context of the individual case.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For folks who are asymptomatic and never have symptoms CDC recommends 10 days after the test as the time when it can be assumed the person is no longer infectious. It’s based off knowledge of the average COVID virus life cycle. But the guidelines should always be interpreted in the context of the individual case.

Thanks.
After I posted :doh: I noticed the link to CDC guidelines had already been posted, so I deleted the post you quoted.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW here's a NIH study that I think looks at how contagious people are during their various stages of being symptomatic.
It's over my head.

Would someone smarter, or better edjumacated, than I please summarize this for us?
TIA.

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks.
After I posted :doh: I noticed the link to CDC guidelines had already been posted, so I deleted the post you quoted.
Sorry! Everything with COVID is confusing with different numbers and I end up talking through it every day with people :)

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW here's a NIH study that I think looks at how contagious people are during their various stages of being symptomatic.
It's over my head.

Would someone smarter, or better edjumacated, than I please summarize this for us?
TIA.

It doesn't actually quantify how contagious people are, just essentially uses modeling to show that even with excellent isolation of symptomatic cases, we would still be at risk for large outbreaks. Presymptomatic and asymptomatic people need to be identified through contact tracing and isolate in order to reduce infections to an acceptable level.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry! Everything with COVID is confusing with different numbers and I end up talking through it every day with people :)

Yeah, I understand.
With this subject though I'd ask everyone stop talking and refer to whatever the CDC says.
I'd also add that since the CDC is science-based what they publish will change over time as better information is discovered/uncovered/developed/proven.
It's not like religions.
That makes it better, not worse.
We need some facepalms now ... :doh::doh::doh:

Then I'd encourage everyone I converse with to do the same and then I'd change the topic.
If that doesn't work I'd bow out of the conversation, and keep in mind what kind of people I made the mistake of conversing with on such subjects so I can remember to only talk about the weather with them next time.

It's easy to spread rumors and faux news by discussing whatever garbage flies around on the Internet, or the local rumor mill. :nono:
I'd take the high road, especially with people who poopoo you for doing so.
My priority is not to kiss the @sses of people I come in contact.
My priority is to pursue and accept what is as true as currently possible.
Those who do otherwise are the stupid ones, not you.
Yes I'm judging ... damn right ... a very wise thing to do, and BTW a thing everyone does.

Last edited:
P

Petalouda

I work in the medical field. I have been exposed several times to patients who tested positive after I already came in contact with them. Actually two days ago this happened to me again when I was in the ED. I do not get Covid tested every time this happens.

Are you sure their child was maskless? I thought everyone was wearing a mask, especially in daycare/school settings? If this child was old enough to ride a bike, then they should be old enough to know how to wear a mask. I would imagine since they work in a pediatric urgent care they would also have been more adamant about teaching their child about wearing a mask?
Also even if the teacher had Covid, was she wearing a mask? Did they socially distance in the classroom? Did they all wash their hands, etc.

How can you be certain that this parent didn’t ask what they should do? I imagine working in a pediatric office they have access to doctors and nurses and could ask them what to do. I always ask my nurse manager what I should do if I think I was exposed. I even call employee health and ask them. Maybe the family member did ask and was told they could work.

I understand not wanting to get Covid tested until you show symptoms. That’s what we are told as well. Stay home if you have Covid symptoms and get Covid tested. But I can’t afford to stay home if I don’t have symptoms. My husband hasn’t been working since March. I’m the only breadwinner right now. We have four kids. Who would pay my bills if I stay home every time I have a potential exposure (I’ve been in contact with at least 30 Covid positive patients).

I don’t get paid every time I stay at home. They won’t pay me to stay home if I have no symptoms unless I lie. Plus I’ll get in trouble from work for calling out so much. Imagine if I called out for this reason? Why are you calling out? Well I don’t have symptoms and neither does my child, but she went to school maskless and her teacher was positive a few days ago. So I think I need to get tested prior to coming back to be on the safe side.
Especially calling out around the holidays. Even before Covid it’s been my experience if one calls out during the holidays you better be dying. I’ve had friends written up BC they called out during Christmas or New Years.
It’s sad but true.

Anyway, just trying to give you a perspective from their side.

First, thank you for your service and perspective. I do value hearing different points of view.

Their child is 2 and doesn’t wear a mask at daycare. That I’m certain of. Is there a difference between a Covid positive masked person coming into contact with another masked person versus a Covid positive masked positive person coming into contact with an unmasked person? I know there’s a risk when you come into contact with a Covid positive patient and thankfully both of you are masked when that happens. My in-laws asked them to call their pediatrician to get an opinion and they refused.

I can tell you if someone in my sons class tested positive I would absolutely test him and everyone else in my household even if we aren’t presenting symptoms. This is what officials have been saying to do to prevent any spread.

I feel running errands that aren’t urgent can wait until after the 10 day quarantine period. These protocols seem to be what the CDC and state officials recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Petalouda

It doesn't actually quantify how contagious people are, just essentially uses modeling to show that even with excellent isolation of symptomatic cases, we would still be at risk for large outbreaks. Presymptomatic and asymptomatic people need to be identified through contact tracing and isolate in order to reduce infections to an acceptable level.
This is exactly what I’m under the impression of in my original post. If someone has had a known exposure, shouldn’t they get tested to identify a potential presymptomatic or asymptomatic person?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Covid has widened the social class divide. I know people who are resentful bc society utilizes them to make the rest of us comfortable. Their lives have been deemed expendable so that the rest of us can have chicken, produce, electricity, toilet paper —etc. If I had to expose myself daily to Covid in order to put food on the table—I would rationalize that I can also enjoy other activities. Subconsciously, I would adapt so that I wouldn’t torture myself after every shift. So when I see people posting on their soc media their outings or gatherings, who am I to judge from the comfort of my stay at home job? I just hope they wear a mask. So to answer your question. No.

This, this, this.
1,000x this.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
This is exactly what I’m under the impression of in my original post. If someone has had a known exposure, shouldn’t they get tested to identify a potential presymptomatic or asymptomatic person?

Testing is of limited utility. It captures a moment in time and the test itself is imperfect. If someone has an exposure they need to quarantine. Testing does not change the need to quarantine
EDIT: testing might be beneficial early on to clarify whether the exposed person is already infected and contact trace from there. Unfortunately contact tracing is almost nonexistent.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results