shape
carat
color
clarity

Has Anyone Heard From Daniel M?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
My thread is pretty self explanatory, but I'm just wondering if any other customers have been getting timely responses from him as of late?

I've had a project with him for months now & we've accumulated another along the way; I haven't quite counted as I don't care to, but I believe we started it close to the first 1/3 of the year. I don't have time limits, (besides a few projects I've helped my father make for my mother) but I'm starting to feel as if he keeps pushing me to the end of the queue. To be quite honest I don't think I'd mind the time issue much if the communication is there but sadly it isn't.

For months I've had to send several emails to prompt him explaining I'm worried just to get a response and I'm just not sure what to do anymore. He will respond after a few prompts but never any work is finished and more & more time will pass as I try to wait patiently.

We've always had a great friendship and work relationship, he's brought my vision to fruition many times & I adore his work ethic and ability to so easily see my vision for a piece but the communication issue has become this giant elephant in the room.

I'm only communicating this publicly not to ridicule or hurt him or his business, but just to see if I'm the only one that is having this issue or if something is going on and many others are experiencing this as well?

I would love to hear from those who have worked with him or communicated with him as of late.
Im also hoping that any info can help to salvage this issue with communication as I've had so much pleasure working with him in the past & don't want to have to find another jeweler I love as dear.

Thank you to all future responses!

Sincerely,

A little confused, sad, & frustrated loyal customer of his

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This is not the first time I read a thread about communication issues and project delays with Daniel M although I've never used him personally. But the minute I read your post I immediately thought of this thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-going-on-with-danielm.203426/

That thread is over seven years old & while it gives us a snapshot of an issue he had which was awful, it doesn't speak entirely for the present. I read it long before I ever started working with him and decided to make the leap. He's grown so much since that ordeal and has shown everyone he's capable of great quality work, great service, design skill, etc. He has been nothing but pleasant and wonderful to work with up until this point. Which is why I'm a bit down and confused.

I'm hoping that my problem is just a one-off and that he's speaking and working with others. Although that outcome might be more hurtful for me personally, (as I really thought we had a good bond and friendship), I'd rather he be on top of it for others and churning out work than for everyone to be in my same boat.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
There are recent entries at the end of that thread (which yes did originate in 2014) that speak to similar issues. I'm glad that you were aware of that thread and were able to make an informed decision about deciding to work with him.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
There are recent entries at the end of that thread (which yes did originate in 2014) that speak to similar issues. I'm glad that you were aware of that thread and were able to make an informed decision about deciding to work with him.

The latest entries from this year don't really reflect my recent experience, it looks like most if not all are getting their projects finished within 1-2 months but I'm interested to see if there are any other people who are having the same issue recently, as the last update to that thread was in April.

Say recently one more time! Ha

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen this? (start halfway down at post 615, there's a couple more pages too - seem a few people are in the same boat)

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this? (start halfway down at post 615, there's a couple more pages too - seem a few people are in the same boat)

Wow. Thank you, that was extremely helpful as the responses are all certainly recent. I would have never thought to look on that thread for issues such as mine because I assumed it was to only boast about finished pieces or projects in the mix.

Sadly, the more I read the sadder I get. I don't know why he would do this to himself and take on more than he can chew. I've kept the issue to myself as it's a bit embarrassing but it's become incredibly frustrating. Especially because I adore his work and friendship.

I pray he hires help, is honest with customers and refunds/sends stones back & takes on less for the future or explain an accurate wait time, because unfortunately if not I'm not sure if I'll want to risk working with him any longer.

:confused::(sad:confused2:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry @LemonMoonLex :(2 I don't know if it's better or worse to know it's not just you.

I'm having similar issues with a local jeweller. I pulled out of a project with him last year because it was just radio silence until I chased, then he would promise something, then nothing again... but he did become seriously ill in the middle and there were Covid lockdowns, so I thought I'd give him another chance. Same again this time. Kicking myself for doing the same thing over again and expecting different results... :wall:

I just don't understand why people can't just politely decline to accept work when they don't have capacity to take it on, or give realistic timeframes. Or just plain communicate honestly.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having a similar experience. He has had my stones for months, and I was constantly chasing him for updates. He then supposedly posted them without sending me pictures, but the tracking status didn't change for over a month. I researched international shipping, and discovered USPS stopped shipping to Australia weeks before that. I have constantly emailed for updates, usually getting a reply to every 3rd one or so. He doesn't know where my earrings are, and says he'll chase it...but again, no follow up. He has told me twice that he will go to the post office to find out where they are, but I don't think he actually has. He said he would ship them via an alternate route at his expense, but he hasn't actually located the earrings yet. I have $1200 tied up in this, and am at the point where I would just really like to claim the money back. The poor communication has really soured this whole experience, which is such a shame, as in years gone by, I have had flawless transactions with Dan. He just isn't managing on his own.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry @LemonMoonLex :(2 I don't know if it's better or worse to know it's not just you.

I'm having similar issues with a local jeweller. I pulled out of a project with him last year because it was just radio silence until I chased, then he would promise something, then nothing again... but he did become seriously ill in the middle and there were Covid lockdowns, so I thought I'd give him another chance. Same again this time. Kicking myself for doing the same thing over again and expecting different results... :wall:

I just don't understand why people can't just politely decline to accept work when they don't have capacity to take it on, or give realistic timeframes. Or just plain communicate honestly.

Thanks for the support. It's definitely odd and confusing because in my mind it's so simple, just don't accept as much work at once. He can still fulfill everyone's custom orders, but just slower, with more realistic timeliness and honest communication. I truly don't understand why he's doing this, especially because he had that huge ordeal years ago that is starting to look eerily similar.

I truly pray it doesn't get to that point but I fear were very very close to it. It hurts because I adore him like no other. I'm one of his biggest cheerleaders...

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ugh I’m so sorry @LemonMoonLex I know @Dandi and @PinkAndBlueBling are having similar experiences. I haven’t (yet).

Just be aware that this is very, very possible. I too was one of the few that never had any issues like this despite reading about others who were or had.

Sadly you can be in the same scenario in an instant. It's all about really thinking if the prices & quality are that much worth your time & efforts in lost communication.

I hope you never have to say you're in my spot or any of the other ladies. It's a confusing place to be, esp w/a jeweler you felt you had a great friendship with.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I'm having a similar experience. He has had my stones for months, and I was constantly chasing him for updates. He then supposedly posted them without sending me pictures, but the tracking status didn't change for over a month. I researched international shipping, and discovered USPS stopped shipping to Australia weeks before that. I have constantly emailed for updates, usually getting a reply to every 3rd one or so. He doesn't know where my earrings are, and says he'll chase it...but again, no follow up. He has told me twice that he will go to the post office to find out where they are, but I don't think he actually has. He said he would ship them via an alternate route at his expense, but he hasn't actually located the earrings yet. I have $1200 tied up in this, and am at the point where I would just really like to claim the money back. The poor communication has really soured this whole experience, which is such a shame, as in years gone by, I have had flawless transactions with Dan. He just isn't managing on his own.

Gosh. I wonder if he ever actually sent the earrings and somehow they are indeed lost (which would be so awful) or if he's stretching himself so thin that he now feels as if he has to lie and hasn't shipped them. Correct me if I missed that pertant info. It's late here & I'm extremely tired. Either way I'm so sorry you're going through it as well.

I'm just so down about this change in service. To be honest I was hoping that he'd possibly see this thread and realize how big of a problem it's gotten and would either get help or be honest to his customers. I don't think I'll be replying much here anymore as it just bums me out.

I'll try to update the thread so others can make an informed choice on whether they want to work with him or not. It also hurts that I can see that he's pushing me and others who are more patient to the back of the queue and continue to do so to get newer orders done. I truly don't mind a few months of it but along with the communication issues it's just become less enjoyable.

Still just sad, confused, and a bit frustrated :/

Sorry to be a bummer to others but you all have to know that Dan was my main jeweler. He is who I'd call on to fix little issues, resize rings, help me design, and create many customs with. So this is a huge shift in how we've worked together and it's starting to become very one way. I hope he gets the help he needs to give his customers the attention and service that they deserve. He's a great jeweler but I'm afraid he's going to alienate his best customers if he keeps beating around the bush with projects.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am bummed for you. This sucks plain and simple.

I am sorry I was one of the few who starting slinging his name around here again, once he started producing new content after the last fiasco. But I’m sure I always mentioned to read that old thread first - and I do think everyone that ever commented here on him was aware of his previous situation.

It doesnt excuse what’s going on now at all, though. At all.

I do think sometimes craftspeople who are more crafty than business minded, do seem to be conflict adverse. As in they’d rather tell you what they think you want to hear, over their truth. Or just ignore the current situation.
I wonder if the current ‘denial to address the situation and kick that can down the road until next time’ comes from being afraid to limit their workload. Or to tell a prospective project ‘no’. Or to actively provide a que and stick to it, or does one slide in repeat customers before new customers in that que? Or the opposite - - sliding in new customers over repeats? Or to start taking deposits to maybe weed out some projects? Or raise prices to weed out projects? Hire help so the main person isn’t who you speak to anymore, or only sell through an outlet?
Over the years - it seems some vendors have tried some of these - and it’s usually a damned if you do, damned if you don’t type situation. Someone is unhappy with it.

But nonexistent communication or lax/incorrect communication, promise after unfulfilled promise is universally a damned situation, period. I just don’t get it, either.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That's tough. I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I am sure you are feeling rather betrayed after being such a loyal customer.

We all make concessions working with certain designers. There are plenty of them on PS that have serious pros/cons making them good or bad fits for certain clients...Leon, CVB, David Klass, etc...things people are and are not willing to tolerate to get what they want out of their hobby and a relationship with a designer.

What's tough is - you can puzzle out all of the possible reasons as to why he is choosing to conduct his business this way...and yes he is irreparably going to damage his business...but unfortunately, I don't think that will give you solace, as it won't give you greater control over the situation or remedy the trust-breaking that has already gone down. He is making his choices...and it sucks watching him shoot himself in the foot, I bet.

So instead of focusing on what he should be doing, I would focus on what you can control.

What are you hoping to remedy at this point? Do you just want your gems back? Money? Do you want to report him to Etsy?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggested that a friend - who is not on PS - reach out to him for a project that was right in DM's wheelhouse. Perfect fit sort of project.

He did apparently get my friend's project done, and friend has received tracking information, but commented that communication was starting to fall over... He figured it was the holiday getting in the way on DM's side.

I've asked my friend to confirm he received photos of the finished piece, and to check that tracking is actually updating.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That's tough. I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I am sure you are feeling rather betrayed after being such a loyal customer.

We all make concessions working with certain designers. There are plenty of them on PS that have serious pros/cons making them good or bad fits for certain clients...Leon, CVB, David Klass, etc...things people are and are not willing to tolerate to get what they want out of their hobby and a relationship with a designer.

What's tough is - you can puzzle out all of the possible reasons as to why he is choosing to conduct his business this way...and yes he is irreparably going to damage his business...but unfortunately, I don't think that will give you solace, as it won't give you greater control over the situation or remedy the trust-breaking that has already gone down. He is making his choices...and it sucks watching him shoot himself in the foot, I bet.

So instead of focusing on what he should be doing, I would focus on what you can control.

What are you hoping to remedy at this point? Do you just want your gems back? Money? Do you want to report him to Etsy?

I just sent him a message as a last ditch attempt explaining to please be honest with me and either start/complete the Two projects we have going and give me a realistic time frame of which they will take or please send me back my stones & refund me for the deposit.

Ideally I'd love to complete these two projects, but in the least I want my stones & deposit back. I'm afraid of what I will be forced to do if I don't get a response. I really adore him so taking action will be painful for me, but sadly needed.

Cross your fingers he responds and we're able to work this out!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I suggested that a friend - who is not on PS - reach out to him for a project that was right in DM's wheelhouse. Perfect fit sort of project.

He did apparently get my friend's project done, and friend has received tracking information, but commented that communication was starting to fall over... He figured it was the holiday getting in the way on DM's side.

I've asked my friend to confirm he received photos of the finished piece, and to check that tracking is actually updating.

Yes, all sellers are usually swamped around Xmas but the issues that I and others are speaking of started early this year.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Friend confirmed he received photos of the finished product. I’m so sorry to hear about your and others’ difficulties. :(sad

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
As an update I received a reply from Dan. He basically explained that it was an understanding and that he actually did reply to me, although somehow I didn't end up getting it. He has directed me to use his email if this ever happens again, which I will do so.

Whether I believe him or not is irrelevant as I truly appreciate his friendship and workmanship so I am giving him another chance, to see if these projects will indeed come to fruition and be made priority.

I'm having hope along with crossing my fingers that it all works out and that things can settle back to normal.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
How were you contacting him previously?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been contacting him via email, and was so frustrated at the lack of response, that I messaged him on Etsy. He replied, saying he had replied to my email also, but he actually didn't.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sad to read of all the heartache and aggravation (again with Daniel M) associated with what should be fun and joyous.

I don't know Daniel M so can't comment about him or his character.
I will only say I go by this philosophy in life and it has served me well.

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

It is not always easy to follow because yes, you want to give people another chance and the benefit of the doubt so I apply it on a case by case basis and not as a blanket rule. So I get why you went ahead with your projects with him @LemonMoonLex especially because you consider him a friend. Though I will say many vendors are very skilled at making one feel like they are friends but well, most of us are just their customers no matter how fun and sweet and nice they are to us.

Just my perspective. Not telling anyone else what to do or how to behave or what life philopshies to follow.
This was a lesson hard earned by me and I use it as necessary.
It has served me well.

I hope everyone gets their projects finished and home in time for the holidays.
And that it makes you swoon.
Happy ending for all.
That is my wish for you.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Wise words @missy - the situation with my jeweller is definitely a "fool me twice" situation :( I felt bad for him last time as he became unwell - but I'm remembering now that the issue was not missed deadlines as such, it was the stringing me along with empty promises and making me feel like the bad guy for "nagging". A simple "I'm sorry, I have too much on to complete this until x date / at all" is all it would take. I could have easily got someone else to make what I wanted for both special events but it's too late now.

He says he'll send CADs this weekend (he said the same last week but hey ho). If they're not here by Monday I'm calling it off and buying myself an alternative Christmas present, thanks very much.

(Sorry for threadjacking OP but I really relate to your frustration - and it's of course worse for you as you can't march it and demand your stuff back, like I can... huge sympathies).

Noooooooo. It's Groundhog's Day all over again. I'm so sorry to everyone who is going through this, especially you @LemonMoonLex because you put so much faith in him.

I get that at the the end of the day, it's a business transaction. But still, when the vendor seems so great, that they really want their customer to be happy and receive something that makes their heart sing, then they pull this on them? Personally, I can't help but feel a little betrayed.

(I apologize if I'm getting melodramatic. Or am going OTT compared to how you're feeling, @LemonMoonLex. These situations just make my eyes twitch).

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies for your inputs, & @missy you are right. My situation is very much becoming that saying I'm afraid. I don't doubt that our friendship could be a ruse but I've held onto it and still do with hope as we've both shared rather personal details before and are both Invested in eachother and our families success. So idk anymore :snore:

@MillieLou & please don't compare the pain, both are equally frustrating! I also didn't post about it for a while because overall in the greater scheme of things I know my issue is tiny compared to the suffering of others. I've tried to learn not to compare pain, as it's all so subjective/relative. I appreciate hearing your experience and I think it brings more understanding to this issue. I hope to hear a resolution, when there is one! It helps me to not be alone in this inconvenience.

& @AnastasiaBeaverhausen I'm not sure what OTT means but you getting upset on my behalf or trying to reason with this issue isn't offensive to me in the slightest! My mind has been doing the same, like an attorney the last few months arguing for both sides lol trying to rationalize it but coming up with nothing fairly good. I don't mind others seeing the issues on either side and illuminating them as it helps me to understand this.

As an update to my last update lol:

I'm still moving forward with Dan and even though I aired out all of my issues with what has (or hasn't) happened, I told him also that I'm going to treat him how I would like to be treated and give him the benefit of the doubt. Whether I believe that etsy actually did fumble messages or that he simply didn't reply doesn't matter right now. I'm giving him a full-on second chance and will be trying to put this hiccup behind us.

Now there's only two ways in which this will work out, the first is the more preferable obviously:

1. I send Dan some more pieces for repair/little fixes as we've spoken about & as he's said he will now focus on my two projects to finally get them done. He does as he says and they are finished in a timely manor consistent with his word. Or he needs slightly longer but replies promptly to me and keeps in contact as he's always done before this year. Actually working on them! (I don't mind things taking long as I've noted before as long as I'm not ignored and communication is prompt, but obviously projects shouldn't take one year, unless there's sourcing issues. With all things there comes a point where it crosses into the "ridiculous" realm & were getting there).

2. Or the second, his last communication was just like the others I received after prompting him multiple times stating I'm worried and kindly demanding a solution, and is just a way to pacify me. He intends to continue to place me behind the cue because of my kind deposition and patience and in turn ends up exploiting it whether it's conscious or not. Communication again breaks down & things take much much longer.

To make things clear, I will not be a fool twice. That I will say. I have empathy and understanding but ultimately he is providing me a business, that of which I have paid for and advertised for on here multiple times which has made him quite the popular jeweler he is. Our friendship is what has muddled everything as I really do prize that and the trust it has naturally built. Not all jeweler/customer relations can build that so I will be sad to have to walk away if that is the case but that is what I will do if needed.

For prospective customers, just know that this can happen to you. You might be just like me and for two years have wonderfully prompt communication and projects which get finished in 1-3.5 months and then suddenly out of knowhere it slips. Or you may get that treatment from the get-go or on your second project. Or possibly never at all (even though I would bet money that if you continually work with him one day, it will indeed happen.)

He is kind, he has gotten very good at what he does skill wise and has improved leaps and bounds artistry wise, & his prices almost cannot be beat for US jewelers/quality ratio but just be
aware this is a reality.

Sincerely,

A loyal customer who's hoping
For the best

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been a long time customer of Dan and got the run around from him this year. Gave him go ahead on CADS in April, received almost no communication for months on end and finally got my pieces in October! I was very frustrated and gave a less than glowing review. He admits he is a one-man-band and is overwhelmed. Suspect creativity is his strength not business management. I strongly recommend he prioritise communications with his clients to manage expectations. I was initially planning future projects with him but changed my mind & asked for all my stones back. Essentially he is talented but slow.
Note: there genuinely is issues with shipping from US to AU - not his fault.

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
Commenting here instead of the DanielM goodies thread so as to not totally hijack it.

I’ve been waiting patiently for about six months now because I wasn’t in an hurry, it’s not an expensive stone, and I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to do anyway, but I finally messaged him after three straight months of silence last weekend. He promised CADs this week, but so far nothing.

I’m more disappointed I won’t be able to use him anymore than anything. His cost to quality ratio was so good, and he would work with lab stones or moissanite or even good ol’ cz, which is helpful for my wallet.

Hate having to find a new jeweler, and nobody wants to set somebody else’s gems!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results