shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone consigned a diamond with Jewels by Grace?

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
I am thinking about using Jewels by Grace to consign my 4.23 carat Old mine cut diamond. Has anyone used her before? What was your experience? I also noted that her consignment rate went up from 15% to 18% recently.

cardinalsfan

Rough_Rock
I have, and I would never work with her again. Poor communication and customer service - constantly had to follow up and there would always be reasons why things weren't done. Throughout the experience I felt I was the lowest priority for her. There was a previous thread about consigning with Grace.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I never consigned with her, but I did buy a stone from her I later sold and inquired about another consignment.

While I was reaching out to Grace, I had the terrible experience of reaching out to 10+ vendors to compare, some of whom gave me eye wateringly lowball offers on a diamond that Grace offered to trade in for the equivalent of the full purchase value from a year prior. I’m talking a delta of 40%-80% for the trade in value of stone compared to anything other vendors offered.

I didn’t end up trading it in with her because she didn’t have anything I wanted, but so many other vendors left such a bad taste in my mouth I vowed to never do business with them. I realize that these are for profit businesses and they are entitled to offer whatever they want, but some of the responses were borderline predatory and it felt like they were hoping I didn’t realize what I had. The whole thing made me feel very differently about Grace’s approach, which is extremely generous comparatively and I actually think her consignment fees are quite fair. I haven’t found anything better, so if I consign in the future she’s the first one I’d call

In my experience she’s hard to reach sometimes, but given the size of your stone it may be worth at least trying

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
I have, and I would never work with her again. Poor communication and customer service - constantly had to follow up and there would always be reasons why things weren't done. Throughout the experience I felt I was the lowest priority for her. There was a previous thread about consigning with Grace.

Thank you so much for that link to the previous thread. I had searched, but for some reason that thread did not come up in the results. That post is very informative and helpful.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have done multiple pieces with her. Her fees did go up recently. With the size of your stone, I feel like you need to have a vendor sell it for you.

She has pros and cons, just like any vendor. Sometimes it is difficult to reach her, but I do think that she has hired some new customer service as of late, that has been better with email.

I would inquire with her and see what you might be looking at, but also check other vendors. Her consignment fees actually are not bad compared to many other stores.

I will say she is not the only option though, so if you'd like other options I'm sure people can suggest them.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consigned a ring with her, it didn’t end up selling so on top of my out of pocket when I bought the ring, I also had to pay to get it out of consignment which stunk. IMO you have to really keep on top of whatever you are consigning, if she has a sale you have to opt in for example. It would have been helpful to send an email out to let people know there was a sale coming up so they could be informed.

I was just not impressed, communication was meh, I had to wait and wait to get my ring back because there were multiple shows etc. I wasn’t in a rush but to be told that she would get back to me Tuesday and then not hear for a week….very annoying.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I did (it was a diamond with the ring optionally included) and it didn't sell. I also had to pay a hefty fee to get out of consignment. I did not think the ring or diamond was well shown, so it was not a positive experience. There was no communication, and no promotion of my item.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, what @fel said sums up my experience.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
I am really reconsidering using Jewels by Grace due to the experience that was shared here. Does anyone have any thoughts about other options I should look into?

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
I have both bought and sold thru Grace with no trouble. Sometimes it may take a day or two to hear back but she sold three pieces for me with no issues and fair prices.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am really reconsidering using Jewels by Grace due to the experience that was shared here. Does anyone have any thoughts about other options I should look into?

You can try Platt Boutique, Lang, Sako of Cicada will also sell stones at times, and Gilded Lane also does consignment. I would also ask Old World Diamonds if they can help or recommend someone as well.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I have both bought and sold thru Grace with no trouble. Sometimes it may take a day or two to hear back but she sold three pieces for me with no issues and fair prices.

I think when it works out and the item sells all is great. The issues is the penalty fee to get out of the consignment. Owing to that penalty fee, the company makes a profit regardless as to whether the item sells. Therefore, they may accept some items that are unlikely to sell, and then consider them a lost cause and not do anything with them. My item languished for 3 years and was only promoted once at the very beginning.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think when it works out and the item sells all is great. The issues is the penalty fee to get out of the consignment. Owing to that penalty fee, the company makes a profit regardless as to whether the item sells. Therefore, they may accept some items that are unlikely to sell, and then consider them a lost cause and not do anything with them. My item languished for 3 years and was only promoted once at the very beginning.

So, in other words, if your item doesn’t sell, even after a certain amount of time, you still have to pay to get it out? I thought the way consignment normally worked was you had to leave it for a minimum, but I didn’t realize that you had to pay to get it out of consignment, no matter how much time have elapsed. What is the fee for getting it out?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assumed you signed a contract for a certain amount of time. If it didn't sell within that period you could get it back or
relist it. I didnt realize there was a "get out of jail fee" after the contract was up. Maybe I don't know how consignment
works??? Ditto @Mreader ... what's the fee to get your item back?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s listed on her site FYI

While our experience is that most pieces sell within 6-8 months, some pieces may take longer than that. If we are not able to sell your item after 18 months, you may choose to cancel the agreement by simply paying the end-of-term fee of $250/item. Return shipping costs will be added to this.

If I change my mind, may I get my item(s) back?

Of course! You may choose to cancel the agreement AT ANY TIME. The minimum consignment fee of $525 will be due, as well as return shipping costs.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve bought and sold a number of items with Grace. For consignment because some of them were higher dollar ring items I felt it was safer for me to consign. Items of lesser value I’ve sold myself. But I try to deal with just PSers If I am selling.

I find close to jewelry holidays she’s crazy busy. It may take an extra day to get back to me. I’ve been fortunate and sold everything I’ve consigned.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I consigned my 4.11 OEC with Grace in September. Sale is now in process.

I found Grace responsive. Sometimes I needed to ping her twice before I heard back, but I always got a response.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I've sold two rings with Grace, and I'd consign with her again. My experience was positive. Both rings sold for more than I paid for them (one of them for considerably more, which pleased me to no end); I came out ahead even after the consignment fees. She responded promptly to my emails, and the rings sold within six months.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I've utilized her to sell my 4 carat antique cushion, 2.56 carat old euro, and 3.02 carat antique cushion. Everything sold quickly except for the 4 carat - that took about 3 months. It really depends on the stone.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I also wanted to indicate- my old euro and my cushion sold either the day it was released on the site or the next day. So, to me it really depends on the piece as not in everyone's taste.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
as everything is not in everyone's taste.* oh my god, talk to text really sucks.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one item sell and one item not sell, so I've been on both sides. We've also bought several items from Grace. She has been great in all instances and I will not hesitate to use her or buy from her again.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would use her again for medium to large stones and significant jewelry. Serious old cut buyers trust her eye. My 3 carat OEC sold in one or two days. You may need to reach out a couple of times.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
OP I'm reviving this thread because I'm curious as to what you ended up doing? I'm considering consigning with Grace but getting cold feet

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
OP I'm reviving this thread because I'm curious as to what you ended up doing? I'm considering consigning with Grace but getting cold feet

Since I couldn't make a decision, I just keep putting it off.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

I just successfully closed out my consignment with Grace!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a loose diamond on consignment with Grace now that was listed in December. It took a little over a couple of months for the listing to go up since she sent it to GIA for a report. There were times where I reached out to the [email protected] email address if I hadn’t received a reply from Grace in over a week, and I always received a reply quickly from that email. So far I haven’t sold it or heard of any offers since it was listed, but am hopeful it will sell during the consignment period. I’d much rather have it for sale with Grace than sitting in a safe indefinitely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results