shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Windston doesn''t mind windows!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sal from Cal

Rough_Rock
Trade

Richard,

While we may not agree entirely on the subject I believe that we agree on most aspects and I love the fact you are so passionate about the art and the artist whether it be a gem or a piece of jewelry that encompasses a gem.

Sal

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
TL, out of interest, when did you buy your first LOGR?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 6:13:28 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 1/24/2010 9:31:50 AM
Author: ma re
Don''t want to drag this into a completely other direction, but I have to adress one point made by TL, that she would do a lot of browsing and careful picking if she''d be filthy rich - that may or may not be. If you''d have piles of money TL, don''t you think you would care a bit less (and worry a bit less) about how much you spend and what you spend it on - as long as it''s something people from your social circles know about?
9.gif
Dear fellow PS-ers, you may be wrong here. Many years ago I happened to work for a very well-known company. Well, the owner flied coach and bought a moderately expensive car which had been (mildly) used by his vice-president. (I am positive he won''t mind the disclosure because it was imentioned n many articles about him). I mean, REALLY rich people may not buy this stone because every dollar they make they pump back into their business to make more dollars. I think these stones are more for people who think they are rich and, as you said, have joined certain social circles. Like Nicholas Cage who bought a dinosaur''s skull for $ 200,000.00 and is now claiming bankrupcy. (Actually, I love his acting and hope he''ll get better financially - but these baubles are for people like him. Their resale value is not high either).
This thread has become interesting. I have certain things I want in a stone. Color and cut are both important, even if I have 100K to spend color and cut are still important.

My social circle only knows what I tell them about gemstones, not much interest in the details, so I''m not trying to keep up with anyone or impress anyone. I think that makes my life easier.

Now if I lived next door to Harriet or Chrono well then I''d be impressed by their purchases and trying to figure out how to move to their level. Well maybe PS pushes us that way. The PS social circle is very different than the Nicholas Cage social circle.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 12:05:19 PM
Author: Michael_E

Date: 1/28/2010 11:44:00 AM

And I am looking for top-class jewellers all the time, but they are either too costly, or not my style at all.

This is pretty funny from my perspective. I live on the edge of the Columbia Basin, (a nice way of saying desert), in Central Washington State. This is kind of a backwater area, but even then I can count 9 really top notch jewelers living and working within 30 miles of me. One works in his garage exclusively for a high end retailer in San Francisco and is probably the best that I''ve seen. Others work in local touristy areas or downtown, (always trying to sweet talk the local crowd into buying nicer stuff). The main reason that I find this funny is that if my experience is any indicator there are probably 10,000 really good jewelers in the U.S., double or triple that if you include Canada and Mexico. I think that most of these are craftspeople and they''re hiding under rocks somewhere trying to eke out a living doing low end stuff just to survive...kind of the starving artist deal.
Michael,

I am afraid of driving through Stevens Pass, but I am willing to take a flight to (whatever) place in Central Washington to meet a top-notch jeweller. I need a goldsmith for a unique project, or to talk me out of it. I have been obsessed with this idea, ever since I saw this thing (it is actually part of a certain architectural structure), but I need a combination of red/greenish gold and a person who can work with textured gold. I am going to contact you via your website if it is user-friendly.

Or maybe these people sometimes travel to Seattle area. Someone told me of a good jeweller in Spokane...

I think it is not against the rules to ask where you live?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 11:39:04 AM
Author: Sal from Cal

Richard,

I totally understand your point of view as someone who takes pride in what they do. I don''t think anyone is disrespecting the cutters work by placing his/her gem in a setting that may not be as it possibly could be with unlimited funds however we as consumers have to make choices. In my humble opinion I believe that many will spend more time and money on the gem to get the best one possible as this is the most important to them. I know in my case that it is what I am in the processing of doing ( I purchased a wonderful gem from Gene) and while the setting may not be exactly what I would like at least in time if I come across more funds I can always upgrade to setting that is perhaps more fitting of the stone.

However in the end it becomes what the end user believes is best for their particular case.

Sal
I kind of feel this way. I don''t really have as much money to spend on gems and settings as I would like -- maybe I never will!!
38.gif
So the gem becomes my focus and then a setting that will fit the gem. And I do feel that I can always uprade the setting later. That said I have alot of loose gems that I haven''t found the right setting for.

I do see Richard''s point though. If we are against "mass produced gems" and view them as icky then why put our Precision Cut gem into a "mass produced" setting. Why aren''t those settings icky?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 12:49:36 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Don''t want to drag this into a completely other direction, but I have to adress one point made by TL, that she would do a lot of browsing and careful picking if she''d be filthy rich - that may or may not be. If you''d have piles of money TL, don''t you think you would care a bit less (and worry a bit less) about how much you spend and what you spend it on - as long as it''s something people from your social circles know about?
9.gif
Dear fellow PS-ers, you may be wrong here. Many years ago I happened to work for a very well-known company. Well, the owner flied coach and bought a moderately expensive car which had been (mildly) used by his vice-president. (I am positive he won''t mind the disclosure because it was imentioned n many articles about him). I mean, REALLY rich people may not buy this stone because every dollar they make they pump back into their business to make more dollars. I think these stones are more for people who think they are rich and, as you said, have joined certain social circles. Like Nicholas Cage who bought a dinosaur''s skull for $ 200,000.00 and is now claiming bankrupcy. (Actually, I love his acting and hope he''ll get better financially - but these baubles are for people like him. Their resale value is not high either).
This thread has become interesting. I have certain things I want in a stone. Color and cut are both important, even if I have 100K to spend color and cut are still important.

My social circle only knows what I tell them about gemstones, not much interest in the details, so I''m not trying to keep up with anyone or impress anyone. I think that makes my life easier.

Now if I lived next door to Harriet or Chrono well then I''d be impressed by their purchases and trying to figure out how to move to their level. Well maybe PS pushes us that way. The PS social circle is very different than the Nicholas Cage social circle.
Actually, another forum on PS (was it "rocky-talky"? or "family and home"?) started a thread about PS members and who they are. It was very interesting to read. I''d like to know more about PS members, it would be nice if more people contribute. I have no idea about PS-ers social circle (I think these are still social circles). I''d also like to know who inherited some gemstones and who started totally fresh. It would be nice to know how family history cultivates tastes (I believe it does, and very much so).

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2010 12:59:40 PM
I am afraid of driving through Stevens Pass, but I am willing to take a flight to (whatever) place in Central Washington to meet a top-notch jeweller. I need a goldsmith for a unique project, or to talk me out of it. I have been obsessed with this idea, ever since I saw this thing (it is actually part of a certain architectural structure), but I need a combination of red/greenish gold and a person who can work with textured gold. I am going to contact you via your website if it is user-friendly. ...

I think it is not against the rules to ask where you live?

I do everything on the 'net now. I used to have a small shop in Cashmere, but that went bye-bye when all the big box stores showed up in Wenatchee in one year. (Lots of silly stories around that whole fiasco). Now I live in Wenatchee and work out of a small studio attached to my house. I do some work for local jewelers, cutting and repairing stones, metal work and gem setting. One of my favorite local jewelers is in Leavenworth and they'd be a perfect place to inquire about this project. I do their CAD work for them, since she's a an "old school" artist and will only do hand carving of waxes. They are husband and wife team with her having a long history and education in art and him being a blacksmith turned jeweler, (she made him see the light). Margaret kind of runs the show and would be the person to talk to about the design part of something like this. Their shop is their names: Ostling and Brooks

Leavenworth is a neat place and they've even got an Amtrak station now, so you can get there by train if you're looking for an adventure. If you do decide to go over there, let me know and I'll wander up that way !

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 1:11:32 PM
Actually, another forum on PS (was it ''rocky-talky''? or ''family and home''?) started a thread about PS members and who they are. It was very interesting to read. I''d like to know more about PS members, it would be nice if more people contribute. I have no idea about PS-ers social circle (I think these are still social circles). I''d also like to know who inherited some gemstones and who started totally fresh. It would be nice to know how family history cultivates tastes (I believe it does, and very much so).
Crasru,
There is also a who’s who sub-forum section in PS where this is done although not everyone participates. Oh BTW, there is a high karat gold section in Jewellery pieces where your new cross will be greatly admired.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-35

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2010 1:07:19 PM

I do see Richard's point though. If we are against 'mass produced gems' and view them as icky then why put our Precision Cut gem into a 'mass produced' setting. Why aren't those settings icky?

They aren't icky, they are made to minimize material use and generally have a lower quality of design, and finish. There is much more here than pieces that are either at the bottom or the top of the quality range. It is definitely a range with many steps and ways to approach getting something that is the right blend of quality and cost. I doubt if anyone here would look at WalMart pieces as being something exceptionally desirable or of high quality and yet many people will never be able to justify buying a piece done by a major artist/jeweler as the cost is just too high for them. So, you end up with the middle ground with LOGR and other mass produced pieces being on the lower end, and moderately priced bench jewelers being in the middle and upper middle of that range. Forget about "Icky", it's too subjective...pick the price/quality range that you find satisfying and be happy with something pretty.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 1:11:32 PM

Date: 1/28/2010 12:49:36 PM

9.gif

Actually, another forum on PS (was it ''rocky-talky''? or ''family and home''?) started a thread about PS members and who they are. It was very interesting to read. I''d like to know more about PS members, it would be nice if more people contribute. I have no idea about PS-ers social circle (I think these are still social circles). I''d also like to know who inherited some gemstones and who started totally fresh. It would be nice to know how family history cultivates tastes (I believe it does, and very much so).
I do think that PS is a social circle. For me it is a more valid circle than Hollywood or Country Club because PSers really do know their stones/jewelry. But I don''t think that the car that Harriet or Chrono or another PSer drives would matter to me, just their opinion on jewelry. I wonder...

Maybe I''ll look for that thread, sounds very interesting.

Family history -- parents had a total lack of interest in buying jewelry considered it too expensive. BUT my Father worked in a jewelry store at one time. Thought the markup and lies told to customers were terrible.

I have some inherited items (from other family) and would never pull them apart and redo them, they remind me of the person they belonged to.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 1:40:39 PM

Date: 1/28/2010 1:07:19 PM

I do see Richard''s point though. If we are against ''mass produced gems'' and view them as icky then why put our Precision Cut gem into a ''mass produced'' setting. Why aren''t those settings icky?

They aren''t icky, they are made to minimize material use and generally have a lower quality of design, and finish. There is much more here than pieces that are either at the bottom or the top of the quality range. It is definitely a range with many steps and ways to approach getting something that is the right blend of quality and cost. I doubt if anyone here would look at WalMart pieces as being something exceptionally desirable or of high quality and yet many people will never be able to justify buying a piece done by a major artist/jeweler as the cost is just too high for them. So, you end up with the middle ground with LOGR and other mass produced pieces being on the lower end, and moderately priced bench jewelers being in the middle and upper middle of that range. Forget about ''Icky'', it''s too subjective...pick the price/quality range that you find satisfying and be happy with something pretty.
I think I''ve been misunderstood. I did not mean to say that mass produced settings are icky. I meant to say that if we view mass produced gems as icky shouldn''t it follow that mass produced settings are too. It seems that Gem cutting is not given a middle ground. Guess I needed the winking smilie to convey tone of voice since playful word choice was not enough.

I personally own a Stuller setting -- fits the stone and the budget. And would be more than pleased to have some mid level settings from bench jewelers.
21.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crasru,
A thread on people''s collecting history would be interesting. Do start one. :)

This thread appears to be displaying an assumption that all custom cut gems are good. Even if it were the case (and enough has been said about them), please don''t discount non-custom cut ones. Gems are a gift from nature. You can''t always order one that fits your specifications perfectly.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 10:12:37 AM
Someone could write an essay for a psychology or sociology class from this thread
9.gif
Seriously, seems like men care more into the whole picture, while women are more into individual parts - who''d believe, right?
9.gif

Jokes aside, ditto to what Harriet said above. Also, LD, while I agree with some things you stated I have to write a bit about some other. When you say that you have stones that are not worthy to be each individually set in a custom setting I believe you, and I agree that not all of them are destined to be centerpieces of custom made solitaire rings. But what I''d like to point out, is that there are pieces of jewellery other than center stone rings. In my opinion, only the best stones (i.e. those that you really LOVE) should be set in such rings. For okay/so-so stones there are other uses. You can get another one and make a nice pair of earrings, get several and make a semi-eternity ring, a bracelet, or a necklace (not to mention use them as accents to other stones, or as side stones, or as parts of a multi-gem pendant etc.). That way, the cost of setting could be devided into several stones used and it doesen''t seem like that much. I also believe that some ''lesser quality stones'' could, eventhough they''re not the best candidates for a center stone ring, help create a wonderful piece like a creatively thought out brooch, where emphasis isn''t so much only on the stone itself, but on the overall scene that it creates (like, for instance, those tiny emeralds used for eyes in Cartier''s panthere rings - not the most amazing stones you''ll ever see, but they''re creatively used and serve their purpose very well). Of course, you can always choose to not set the so-so stones at all, saving money for projects that you''ll love and enjoy much more.

You also say that we can''t wear fancy jewellery for daily activities, which I agree with. However, I personally think that precious stones and precious metals should only be worn to dress-up for special occasions (just my personal point of view) and that there are fakes and fashion/costume jewellery to serve the purpose of everday adornments. But to all it''s own.

So basically, I think that every stone has a chance to shine in a custom setting, and that such a setting doesen''t have to cost a fortune (by the use of silver instead of platinum for instance, assuming that structural integrity is assured, like in Etsy pieces we see quite often here). It also doesen''t have to contain a zillion of diamonds - some gems just crave for a simplistic setting like a solitaire, but differences between a setting intended for a particular stone and premade ones can be seen even in such a simple design. In fact, that makes them even more obvious (if you know how to look), while ornated settings tend to hide flaws and ''sparkle the eye away from them''. But of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all have different tastes and personal preferences. Some of us (jewellery lovers) think that gems are integral parts of jewellery, where stones and settings compliment and complete eachother, while other (gem lovers) have a standpoint that gemstone should always take the center stage - both are right in some way, depends how you look at it
1.gif
If I don''t want to put a gemstone in a piece of jewellery - be it a centre stone or a side stone - I won''t. It''s my choice. You''ve made an assumption that I only look at gemstones as centre stones - I don''t.

I have never said that fancy jewellery isn''t for every day activity. For some, the more ostentatious the better. For others it''s the opposite. Look at my avatar. It''s hardly plain and I wear that routinely!

Mr Ma Re have you actually had anything made? Even if you set something in silver and use multi coloured gemstones it can still mount up! If you buy gemstones routinely you make a choice on (a) what you''ll wear (b) what you''ll get most enjoyment out of (c) whether you want the piece to be an everyday or an occasion piece. It''s not just about economics.

Let me ask you .......... if you had several hundreds of loose gemstones and several hundreds of pieces of jewellery, would you want to set it all?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I''m amazed that this thread appears to have divided people into what is being perceived as 2 camps:

1. Those who will only set gemstones into cheap settings and/or cheaper than the gemstone
2. Those who will only set gemstones into expensive settings.

I personally fall into both camps. It depends on the gemstone. Not all cheap settings are good or bad and certainly I''ve seen some high end designer pieces that I wouldn''t have paid LOGR prices for. Tiffany has been mentioned previously and some of their quality is ludicrous! Also, I would never work with Leon Mege - undoubtedly he can produce wonderful settings - but I don''t want to work with a designer who tells me what I should have. I want to be part of the process - that''s the enjoyment.

There''s absolutely no right or wrong here despite what people may say because it comes down to personal choice.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Put me in both those camps! Even though most of my jewelry is custom made, I won''t say never to a LOGR and if I could figure out as well as some of you do what calibrations can be squeezed into what settings I would have already pulled the trigger on one by now.

For those of you who have not been to Leavenworth, Washington, it is a beautifully done Bavarian village in Washington. If I could drop some stones off to be set with the jeweler that Micheal E refers to (or with Michael E, assuming he would be interested) I would look forward to a trip there.

Could be a Pricescope Meet/Create.

This could be a past thread already, but I''m surprised with the steady stream of biz coming from us all that there are not a couple of PS jewelers whom we know do quality work and give us a discount considering volume we send, not to mention the great stones we have.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
The Ultimate PS Meet:

Tucson Gem & Mineral Show/Julia Kay Taylor.

You cannot beat that combo.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t tempt me. I''m still on the fence.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 12:15:32 PM
Date: 1/28/2010 11:47:22 AM

Author: arjunajane

Personally, it is a decision I am very happy with and I hope will end up creating a piece that will be treasured - both for it''s lovely gems and design / craftsmanship.

If you want a piece to be treasured after you''ve had your time with it, I would suggest making sure that you find someone to give or sell it to who will treasure it as well. In the past I have had several people approach me about tearing apart what were obviously true works of art so that they could use the pieces to make earrings for their bratty kids. In every case I mentioned that it would be to their advantage to sell the pieces at auction and use the proceeds to buy earrings. I also refused to tear these things apart, just because it really bugged me to see the cavalier way they were treating something which was truly fine and nearly impossible to replicate now. I think that''s why a lot of the pieces that Richard talks about are getting very high prices...some ding-a-ling melted down most of the works by those original artists. Kind of like using a Rembrandt to start a fire, IMO.

Hey Michael,
Thankyou for your reply - all I can say about those stories is
6.gif
Like you, I don''t believe I would be able to bring myself to butcher the pieces - what a shame!

Fortunately I am in my 20''s, hence have many years ahead to enjoy my pieces. But you make a valid point - I do hope my kids-to-be don''t grow up to be silly bratty adults
9.gif
; perhaps I will be fortunate to have a daughter that will enjoy sharing my passion and hobby with me.
5.gif

re. your last point, Julia Taylor certainly is not a "name brand" or "fine house" (except maybe around these parts, ha ha) - but I do believe the originality, integrity and quality of her pieces will keep them in good standing for a long time - who knows, maybe when I am 50 folks like Richard will be asking for JKT pieces to auction
2.gif

My only regret is I cannot afford to do this piece in solid gold
7.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
LD, I''m sorry if I expressed myself incorrectly, I didn''t want to make such a statement (that you only set stones as centerpieces) but it may have turned out to sound that way. I wanted to point out other possibilities, not to you, but to all those who read articles such as this one on PS, cause center stone rings are by far the most popular form of jewellery around here - but gems can be used in so many different ways so it''s worth mentioning.

Now, to answer your questions; 1) I have never custom ordered jewellery for myself but I helped others in such projects and have an idea about how much it could cost. However, where I am, the cost of labor isn''t so high (not that it''s cheap, but more affordable than it may be somewhere else) so the bulk of the cost is still in the material. Maybe that''s why I''m more of a fan of custom made pieces. 2) I wouldn''t set it all if I had hudreds of each, but I''m not sure I''d ever want to have hundreds (not into collecting either). I might be a weirdo, but I never longed for having numerous pieces of jewellery, like one for every day of the year (maybe cause I''m a guy and we''re not into dressing up that much...). But I have longed for quality pieces, so I''d always opt to have just a few, all of which I''d choose to have set in custom pieces. Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but to me, in order for something to feel special, it has to be rare. And not in a way that I''m talking rare gemstones that cost millions, but rare in a sense that I have only a few well made pieces, that I wear just for special occasions and which I''ll treasure forever. That way, jewellery keeps that romantic value in my (weird) mind, and I feel it''s more special. Cause whenever I find myself having tons of anything and as soon as it becomes an everyday item, to me it loses a lot of it''s perceived value and becomes just another object. So it all has a lot to do with emotions and "mind games". It also certainly has a lot to do with my budget and my social life. I don''t go out much and don''t have too many places to wear jewellery to (at least when talking fine jewellery). And my budget would allow me to either have 2-3 well made pieces or 4-5 of mediocre (...closer to bad) quality ones - cause cost of labor here doesen''t make custom made pieces that much more expensive than premade ones. Neither is a large number, so I opt for quality instead of slight increase in quantity. I could also have like a dozen really crappy, wonky, sorry excuses for jewellery that I''d be affraid to wear so that I wouldn''t break them - to me that would be a complete waste of money (not to mention I really don''t need that many pieces).

So there you go, call me crazy, but that''s how I feel about the subject
1.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Mr ma re, not crazy at all.

As I am poised to buy a tsav cab from Swala, assuming they can find one for me, I have asked myself how long I will buy at this rate or just how many I want or need. An interesting question.

After a long career in the public eye back when I had little in the way of jewelry, I now am a telecommuter with some pretty nice jools. But I am so happy to put on a certain piece in the morning and I smile as a keyboard away and see it flash. I have fun on the weekends selecting my clothes based on what gemstone I want to wear, LOL.

I wear my jewelry even when I wear yoga pants or PJs or a suit. I have bone china that I use everyday, same for my sterling silver flatware, it''s just how I am. I draw that line at my Waterford every day only because it cannot go in the dishwasher!!!

I have no other vices.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, this thread certainly took a slightly different course than I expected from the first page.

To answer Gailey''s question of TL, I bought my first LOGR in August 2008. I was extremely suspicious that a halo diamond setting could actually be produced for under $200, so I took a stab at an auction, and I won. In the meantime, I''ve purchased about 2 dozen more from various Ebay vendors, many of which I felt could be enhanced by my local jeweler''s hand (polishing, prong shaping, etc.). Yes, I have some that are so-so, but I have quite a few that have turned out to be my favourite pieces of jewelry (my pale spinel in the elongated Legacy, for example).

I''ve had custom EXPENSIVE work done before for a diamond or two and my scapolite, but my coloured gems seemed to be those that I was happy to put in pretty LOGR/Jewelryhoo/Jewe2004 pieces and call it a day because I could look at that particular gem daily.

That being said, I''ve just received my first JKT piece, and by the absence of a couple of people''s presence in that thread (people who are almost always in my other threads), I suspected that perhaps some felt this particular foray into custom coloured gemstone work was a dodgy endeavour. Quite the opposite, IMO. My JKT piece has a heft that my custom made WF e-ring doesn''t quite have. I''m in love with my JKT ring, and have worn it nearly daily since it arrived. This 18k YG setting cost half what WF charged my husband in 2006 for the inspiration 14k WG piece and by my eye, the construction is just as lovely.

I think my tastes are evolving, but it doesn''t keep me from finding joy in the same things I''ve found joy in when I started this crazy coloured stone journey.

I also think generalizations should be tossed on their ears.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 12:44:11 PM
Author: Gailey
TL, out of interest, when did you buy your first LOGR?
I cannot remember the exact month, but I think in late 2008. That being said, this thread is not going to change anyone''s minds about what they like. I''m sure some people are sick to death of my LOGR talk, just as I''m sick of their only "handmade pieces will do" talk. Basically we all like what we like, and I''m not sure where this thread is really going. It''s completely deviated from the original topic.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Ma Re,

I don''t think you''re crazy, and I think I mostly agree with you. I have a bad tendency to become a collector (of anything that I become interested in), but to me each piece becomes less and less special the more pieces you have. So, for my sanity, sentamentalism, and budget I''m going to try to approach gemstones more from your perspective.

As far as LOGR type settings vs. handmade - I don''t see anything wrong with either, but I tend to like custom (or semi-custom at least) because it makes the piece seem more mine if that makes sense. Although my ering is a Ritani with a pear stone subbed for the oval it was designed for, so I don''t know how that fits in.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Having followed this thread which I found quite interesting I might add. Lets bring it full circle. I think the design of the ring that started it all fits the sapphire very nicely and is a fine example of what can be done with some thoughful design.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 4:18:04 PM
Author: colormyworld
Having followed this thread which I found quite interesting I might add. Lets bring it full circle. I think the design of the ring that started it all fits the sapphire very nicely and is a fine example of what can be done with some thoughful design.
I agree - just a shame about the centre stone!
31.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 4:19:20 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

31.gif

I think the "window" influenced the ring design and in a way they enhance each other. IMO

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 4:22:33 PM

Date: 1/29/2010 4:19:20 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

31.gif

I think the ''window'' influenced the ring design and in a way they enhance each other. IMO
Ok I''m intrigued. I can see how the baguettes point to the centre of the stone, I can see how the "holes" at each side of the window between the baguettes draw your attention to the centre of the gemstone and emphasizes the window but I don''t understand why somebody would design something to draw attention to a flaw?

I can''t help but wonder why this wasn''t set to try to mask the window. So, for example, an intricate basket that may/may not have lessened if not closed it?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting thread. Some randomn thoughts.

I''m reminded of that book Deluxe, How Luxury Lost its Luster - which discusses Hermes handmade handbags as ''luxury'' and bemoans the high prices paid for Louis Vuitton and Chanel bags, among others. Sort of a craft vs. status symbol discussion in many ways, but honestly I just like how Chanel bags look better than Hermes and for the price of a Birkin I can get all the Chanel bags that I''d likely want to use for several years. Besides a Birkin is the ultimate status symbol and why can''t something mass produced have a pleasing design?

Then again I''ve been buying furniture over the past year as a newly wed and we have a mix of handmade/antique vs. mass produced in our home. My favorites are the antique/handmade, the Persian & Turkish rugs, the two chairs we won at auction and had reupolstered, a chair by a modern designer with lots of handfinishing. And I tend to prefer having other items in my home with that handmade aspect, there is something comforting and touching about having something someone made. Etsy is a great source for this. For the art on my walls over 50% is in custom framing, which adds so much to the art that the $$ price is worth it to me.

Then again there are many beautiful things out there which aren''t handmade. And many handmade things which I don''t find beautiful. I don''t know personally what I camp I fall in vs. handmade or mass produced, I suspect it will be both.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(This is something new - this posting is prompted by a recent episode). As I have mentioned, I prefer custom-made jewelry. One thing which is very common, though, (I wonder if it is part of the trade) is that the jeweler gives you one price at the beginning of the job and then in increases by 1/3 when the job is done. I am going to start getting every quota in writing! I wonder if it is my luck to run into "greedy" jewelers (I have not seen that many), if it is very common and if these people realize that they are losing a potentially long-term client if they do such a thing? Even once?
Since you pay after the job is done, it is very hard to negotiate at that moment. I already had it happen twice and, naturally, am not going to use these people again although they are sending me greeting cards and invitations (small wonder they are interested in working with me!). Not that we spend much time discussing projects - I am VERY flexible and easy to work with. Am I the unlucky one? If it continues, I shall start seriously thinking about joining the LOGR camp.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2010 5:52:56 PM
One thing which is very common, though, (I wonder if it is part of the trade) is that the jeweler gives you one price at the beginning of the job and then in increases by 1/3 when the job is done. I am going to start getting every quota in writing!

This is definitely NOT common, (or at least shouldn''t be), and I would have to say that I''ve never met a jeweler who was so lacking in common sense that they didn''t write down the quote for a job and insist that their client sign it and take a copy with them. Any changes part way through get noted and signed as well. It''s the only way to make sure that everyone is on the same page all the way through the process. This goes not just for the financial part but for the design and execution of that design. You sure don''t want things to go bad right at the end of a project when things should be at their best ! Talk to the next person you choose to do work for you and make sure that everyone gets everything in writing and signed off as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
Your experience is highly uncommon. I''ve done several custom and semi-custom pieces and have always received a quote in WRITING, complete with as detailed a description as possible, often accompanied by pictures or sketches as well. All changes are always documented in writing/emails as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results