shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo Help for 2.09 OMC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi there!

I'm in the process of acquiring a stunning 2.09 carat L, VS2 OMC. The diamond will be arriving at my local appraiser today or tomorrow so, pending appraisal, it will be mine within the next 48 hours!

I need your help to design a ring for it. I definitely want a pave/micropave halo, with the halo in a square cushion shape to emphasize the squarish shape of the OMC, rather than a round shape to disguise it. I'd like a very thin halo with some sort of really cool detailing in the basket and the entire thing should feel very antique.

I've already contacted a few jewelers like Singlestone, Wink Jones, Leon Mege, Maytal (not heard back yet). Here are some things that I kind of like.

Can you help me??? I'd love recommendations of jewelers, pics of ring ideas, etc. Would be great to keep the price of the ring around $3k (in platinum).

I like these rings, off the top of my head:

Vatche Alexa ring (see pic below).

GOG setting, love the look of the shank - 2 sided pave combined with engraving. See below for pic.

Any other suggestions? I'm new here, still figuring out how to do pics properly, so please be gentle with me!

167.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Erica, congrats on almost becoming the proud owner of an OMC! Cant wait to see it. Ask you appraiser if s/he can take some photos for you during the appraisal and email them to you so you can post them here...

I really like the first one - the Vatche - a LOT! What a pretty setting. It's got vintage elements but it doesn't scream vintage in a cloying way. I dont care for the GOG setting, just too much going on to distract from the center stone. If your center is a good quality, maybe you dont want so much distraction? The Vatche seems very unique as well. My only concern with that one is how a wedding band will fit with it. I'm one of those who doesn't care for matchy matchy bands and I rather like a little space between my ering and wband and I think that's what you'd have with that Vatche setting...Have you asked Vatche if the make a coordinating wband for that ering? I'd be interested in seeing it.

As for Leon, he's a master, but if you love the Vatche, it's already made up and faster to get if that's important to you. Leon has one very vintagy set on his site (it says it was made for a celebrity) and it's very nice but I honestly think I might like this Vatche better...you get your squared off halo, but with a vintage flavor and very unique! Another thing I like about the Vatche is that the halo/accent stones are a proportionate size to the center, not too big...and, they seem to really POP out to your eye, in a good way. Sometimes halos look to my eye like they're all prong and no stone, but this setting lets the little stones really shine without taking away from the center...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Check out the picture gallery here on PS. Recently, Pearlman''s posted some designs from an artist, Bridget Durnell. Some lovely designs--halo''s included!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I hope it checks out for you! I bet it will. Wonderful sounding stone. I can''t wait to see the photos of the stone itself!

The posters above gave you wonderful setting ideas have fun picking one.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2007 12:18:02 PM
Author: ericad
Lorelei, talk about halo OVERLOAD! Thanks for the link! This one jumped out at me immediately!
Hehehe....!!
11.gif
That is one GORGEOUS setting isn''t it??? I knew you would find plenty of inspiration from that thread!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks surfgirl! I prefer a more eclectic look, with either a band that doesn''t really match perfectly (with a small gap) or even no band at all. I''ve been married 10 years, so non-conformity is fine by me!

I agree that the GOG setting may have too much going on. My expectation (from the video clips and pics I''ve seen of the OMC) is that the stone will be a show stopper. It is L color but seems to have that sandy/apricot glow. I want to emphasize and enhance its beauty without detracting from it.

I will say that I like the way halo settings seem to protect the girdle more than a traditional solitaire, which is especially important for these antique stones. I have a slight preference for a prong setting inside the halo (with the stone seated as low as possible) over a bezel, but I would consider a bezel too.

The appraiser will photograph the diamond for me, so I''ll post those pics ASAP!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I have that Vatche! I love it! I wear it with a 2mm plain band. I also really like the non matchy with a gap kinda look
9.gif

I can hardly wait to see the beautiful stone!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jayrenay! I have looked at your Vatche thread about a million times! It''s your thread that got me thinking about the ring in the first place, so thank you :)

I saw the pics you posted pairing it with the ruby band and loved the look of a dainty wedding band with some color. Not sure if my finger has enough square footage to pull it off (shorty cocktail weenie fingers) but a ring like that would be fine on its own too.

I got a quote from Wink on that one in platinum and it''s just a hair over my budget, which is fine. And that would be to customize it for my stone size. My only concern is the depth of the OMC (7.73 x 7.48 x 5.08) but seems to me the Vatche setting has enough depth to seat the stone. It''s really important to me that the girdle be nearly flush with the halo - just a hair above is ok. Got to protect it, as there''s already a very tiny chip in the OMC''s girdle (not uncommon for antique diamonds) which I probably will have polished out unless I set it in a bezel (any advice on that)?

Here is a pic of the diamond from the seller.

449326-OMC_Hand_closeup2.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh erica, it looks like a lovely stone so far. I cant wait to see more photos! And I''m glad you like the Vatche too! Such a pretty setting for an old cut.

jayrenay, where''s your thread?!?

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Erica, I took a picture so you could see how it looks with a plain band...

100_1804.jpg

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Although I just noticed that the band was sort of under the ring -- it doesn''t normally do that so there is typically more of a space.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ACK! What a terrific picture! Thank you SO much! I love the look of it with a plain thin band - my stumpy finger can handle that, I think ;-)

Remind me - what is the size of your center? 1.75? Do you know the spread? About 7.75mm-8mm? The OMC is deep so it probably faces up about the same size as a typical 1.75 carat RB.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
*SWOON*

Gorgeous!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMIGOSH!!!! That stone is just stunning Erica!!
30.gif
30.gif
Love the Vatche setting too!!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m so excited to see the stone in person, I could just puke! (classy, I know) Just waiting for the appraiser to call me to say she received it...ring phone, ring!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2007 1:25:14 PM
ACK! What a terrific picture! Thank you SO much! I love the look of it with a plain thin band - my stumpy finger can handle that, I think ;-)

Remind me - what is the size of your center? 1.75? Do you know the spread? About 7.75mm-8mm? The OMC is deep so it probably faces up about the same size as a typical 1.75 carat RB.
I don''t have the cert in front of me, but from memory, it''s about 7.85mm.

You''d be surprised at how thin the Vatche really is, you''ll definitely be handle a band with it! Will you have the opportunity to see the Vatche in person before buying?

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Any word from your appraiser??

I think I recognize that stone! If it''s the one I''m thinking of, the seller has a beautiful collection!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2007 3:01:42 PM
I''m so excited to see the stone in person, I could just puke! (classy, I know) Just waiting for the appraiser to call me to say she received it...ring phone, ring!
I would be going NUTSO if that fabulous stone was waiting for *ME*

running.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, she certainly does! I feel like this one just fell out of the sky the very moment I began thinking about getting a diamond - poof, there it was! In the past I have tried high fakes, but none of them were right for me, even though I never thought I'd be the type to get a diamond. And now I may be getting a 2+ carat honker! I've lost my mind, but couldn't be happier about it.

I guess part of me wants something of value to pass along to my daughter one day, something that will last forever and, to be honest, I just feel every woman needs at least one good diamond in her lifetime :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results