shape
carat
color
clarity

Halloween Candy Poll

Hi All, So I'm curious--How much much candy do you give for Halloween?

• One piece per kid

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Two pieces per kid

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Three per kid

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Not sure, a handful

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Depends on the age of the kid

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Hera

Ideal_Rock
So I'm curious--How much much candy do you give for Halloween to trick or treaters? :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO makes bags.
Each bag has 5 pieces or so and a toy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1320030919|3050781 said:
My SO makes bags.

Sounds like your SO really gets into it Kenny! That's nice.

I usually give two pieces, and if it looks like I'm going to have leftovers I'll start handing out more.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
None ;( We used to go through bags of candy at our old house in the country but last year, after moving into the city, we had one trick or treater. I gave the gal a full unopened bag and still had bags left. Before we gave two to three pieces depending on the size. This year we are shutting our lights off and going to dinner. Breaks my heart as I :love: Halloween

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to give out 2 or 3 snack size bars, but we get so many kids we usually go with one. People bring vans filled with kids to our
neighborhood, it gets pretty crazy.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I usually give each kid a handful--about 3-4, and I am a major candy junkie so I try to give it all out or else I'll eat it all myself. On a related topic, Snickers peanut butter are my new favorite. Yumm

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We used to live in a really nice neighborhood that bordered on a poorer neighborhood and we'd get all of the children from...heck, I felt like it was half of the city! We'd hand out candy to about 600-1,000 kids each Halloween. So needless to say, they got 1 piece each then. And it was cheaper candy.

The neighborhood kids (there were maybe like 10 of us) got king size candy bars.

Now we'd hand out a handful because in the 3 Halloweens we have spend here, we haven't gotten one trick or treater. But we have candy!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
There are tons of trick or treaters because we are just a few blocks from the community park (where they have a kid's party prior to T or T time), so we give out 3 per kid. We tried allowing them to take a handful, and we ran out of candy.

We buy the best stuff, and bought a boatload this time. If the kids start dwindling off, we'll give out more to the latecomers. It won't do to have too much leftover candy around the house . . . 'cause, like I said, we buy the good stuff. Yummmm.

Kenny, your SO is a sweetheart to make those bags for the kiddos. (He must have an inner Martha. ;)) )

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
This will be our first Halloween at our current home, but we used to get bombarded with 1500-1800 trick-o-treaters each year. So, they would get one treat each :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't get trick-or-treaters, unfortunately. So no Halloween candy for us (which is probably a good thing, actually!).

melave

Shiny_Rock
Well i had a whole 2 trick or treaters. so now i have 25 lolly bags to try and fob off at work tomorrow
:(

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
No trick or treaters for us, either, because we live in a condo community where all the buildings are keyed-entry.

My mom works for a school supply company and back when I was a kid, we use to get boxes and boxes of samples every year around March and April when stores were ordering product for their back to school sales. Well, that product (mostly notebooks, folders, and little day planners/address books) would sit around until Halloween and my mom would set up shop either on our porch, or on our steps just inside the house. When trick or treaters would come, they would get a piece of candy (2-3 if we knew the kiddos or it was getting late and we had a lot left) and their choice of a school supply. After the pattern got established, kids would start running up our driveway at full speed going "HEY! IT'S THE FOLDER LADY!!! SWEET!!!" :bigsmile: :appl: :lol: Who knew kids loved folders that much!?!?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle said:
We used to give out 2 or 3 snack size bars, but we get so many kids we usually go with one. People bring vans filled with kids to our
neighborhood, it gets pretty crazy.

Ditto. We usually give 1-2 pieces because we get a ton of kids.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since we get maybe 2 kids a year, usually a few pieces. Kids around here go to the rich neighborhoods or to a "trunk or treat" situation instead. I am hoping that because it's a weeknight that theymight stay around this year.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the beginning of the night we give out about 2 each, and then according to how the night progresses we give more or less.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1320066423|3050938 said:
Kids around here go . . . to a "trunk or treat" situation instead.

What is this?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
We only had 3 kids turn up and their mother said as they all stuck their hand in the bowl "now remember just one each!"

So now we have about 6 bags of fun size chocolates (bout 25 in each) to get through ourselves. :lickout:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
mary poppins|1320068503|3050954 said:

What is this?

Around here it is something that a specific church puts on where everybody decorates the trunks of their cars and kids trick or treat in a parking lot

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting, Sparkly Blonde. Thanks for the explanation. I've never seen or heard of that.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1320030919|3050781 said:
My SO makes bags.
so when a PriceScoper comes to your door do you give out 5 pieces of candy and a fancy colored diamond! now that's my kinda toy! :lickout:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1320070691|3050975 said:
mary poppins|1320068503|3050954 said:

What is this?

Around here it is something that a specific church puts on where everybody decorates the trunks of their cars and kids trick or treat in a parking lot
I'm actually going to a trunk or treat tonight. The trunk of your car is decorated up and the owner gives out candy,hot chocolate,or small Halloween related gifts to the kids as they stop by the car.The kids have a fun time and it gives the family's an opportunity to get to know the people and family s in the neighborhood better.Its a good way for parents with really young children to give them a fun time without having to walk around larger neighborhoods in the cold and dark.After the Trunk or Treat is over(lasts a couple of hours)sometimes people will have small gatherings to have dinner or watch a movie. In my area of Utah they have become popular in the last 10 years.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute--some of you get over 1,000 trick-or-treaters? That's crazy!

I thought our street was busy, but if I had to guess I'd say we get a couple hundred kids. We live on a street with some of the smallest homes in town, AND our street is very long and has no cross-streets, so it's safe and easy so everyone brings their kids to us. It is so much fun! Our first Halloween was really shocking to me. I looked outside and it scared me for a minute because I thought a festive mob was approaching. I'd never seen so many trick-or-treaters.

I give out one to two pieces of candy per kid. When we run out, we run out. I would never buy THOUSANDS of pieces, that is so expensive! Last year I made Halloween buttons and gave those out, as well.

I don't know which candy I'll give out yet because I have to buy it on my way home from work. I learned that lesson three years ago, as well--I bought the candy ahead of time and DH ate every.single.piece.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone ever seen the movie The Worst Witch? I used to watch it every Halloween as a child, and now I'm really wishing I had a copy to watch tonight.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1320038841|3050828 said:
Kenny, your SO is a sweetheart to make those bags for the kiddos. (He must have an inner Martha. ;)) )

Yeah he's from a huge latino family and loooooooves kids.
I'm more of a, "YOU KIDS, GET OFF MY LAWN!" grouchy old white man.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1320085683|3051138 said:
Haven, you can see your movie on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86-cUlgPvk
Great minds, Holly.

I just watched the Tim Curry scene, and I am TOTALLY going to watch the movie tonight while sitting on the driveway passing out candy.
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About two or three pieces each, and towards the end of the night, I start giving out handfuls.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to hold the bowl and let the kids take what they wanted.

Sadly now we don't get trick or treater's. All the kids have grown up. Maybe a college student or two..

The weather here and downed trees, I highly doubt anyone will be coming around our neighborhood.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1320088518|3051173 said:
About two or three pieces each, and towards the end of the night, I start giving out handfuls.

I just bought a bag of candy and this is my distribution plan.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Over the course of the last 2 weeks, I think we have bought about 10 bags of candy designated for Halloween - At first we bought like 6 and started to run out since SO and I are little piglets. We bought 4 more bags today. We just moved so its our first Halloween in this neighborhood and we don't know how many ToT'ers we'll be getting. I imagine we'll give a couple pieces and then adjust accordingly.

Off to the candy bowl for another snickers :Up_to_something:

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
We usually give a nice handful, this year we have chips and assorted gummy's to give out. We'll probably give 1 bag + a handful of candies, we'll give more for awesome costumes and towards the end of the night.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results