shape
carat
color
clarity

Great Grandmother''s E-Ring Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Originally, this setting housed a .75ct OEC diamond and 22 diamond chips, but it was emptied into a cocktail ring my grandmother had made. After my grandmother passed away, the empty setting went to my mother. Since I have next to nothing from her side of the family, she surprised me with the setting by adding 22 diamonds (not chips) along with an amethyst. She chose an amethyst because my favorite color is purple, but told me I could replace it with whatever I wanted in the future. Currently, I am thinking of replacing it with a nice aquamarine, so I have started a separate thread in the colored stones section, where there are a couple of more pictures. I am not certain as to what style this ring fits, it seems to have deco qualities about it, but I am not sure.

Sorry for not being able to provide a sharper picture, but my camera is not very new, so I did the best I could with the macro setting.

Antique Ring.1.12JPG.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, what a lovely surprise! Interesting timing as well--I have been taking photos of my great-grandmother''s engagement ring that was just passed on to me last week. Congratulations on having such a wonderful family keepsake in your possession!
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Looks wonderful--how ''bout a hand shot???
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Gwendolyn - I hope to see pictures of your great-grandmother''s ring soon, what great timing indeed!

Canuk-gal - You ask so much! I was lucky to get a clear shot with the ring resting on my beaded purse! I will have to ask my boyfriend to take a couple of handshots tonight, maybe he will be able to hold the camera still.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2007 2:04:51 PM
Author: omieluv
Gwendolyn - I hope to see pictures of your great-grandmother''s ring soon, what great timing indeed!

Canuk-gal - You ask so much! I was lucky to get a clear shot with the ring resting on my beaded purse! I will have to ask my boyfriend to take a couple of handshots tonight, maybe he will be able to hold the camera still.
I don''t know if it will help, but I''ve had trouble getting the camera still to take photos too, but sitting the camera on a flat surface like a windowsill or table has helped me get better (not great, but better!) photos! I have taken a few dozen photos of my great-grandmother''s ring, but it''s been nothing but cloudy lately and the photos don''t show the sparkle of the ring very well, so I''m waiting for the sun to come out before I post my pics.

I DEFINITELY second the motion for handshots! That ring is fabulous, and I''d love to see it in action!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
How beautiful!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is truely a gorgeous piece of jewelry!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Gwendolyn - I will do my best to get a clear hand shot with the ring on me. I did not want to admit this, but out of frustration, I placed it on my one of my toes and actually got a clear shot of it, but did not want to subject PS to a vile picture *my toes are not too pretty).

Skippy - thanks so much for your comment!

Diamond*Dana - Thanks to you as well. When I first saw the setting it was empty and the metal was very dull, but I loved it anyway. My mother was actually shocked that I would like such an "old" ring, but was also touched too.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Okay, as promised...here are a few hand shots. Please forgive me as they are not nearly as nice I would have liked them to have been. My finger size is normally a size on my right hand, but due to Winter, my fingers are a bit smaller than normal.

OmieAmeHand1.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

OmieAmeHand2.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Last one...

OmieAmeHand3.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Here are more pictures I took last night:

Geod1.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Peacock5.JPG

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring and those last shots are so creative!
36.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Angel7...here are a few more...

Geod2.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Geod3.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Geod4.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Peacock2.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Peacock3.2JPG.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
This one is not as crisp as I would have liked it to be, but I still think it looks interesting

Peacock4.1.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous setting. It really is a treasure, and so nice that your mom had stones put in it for you!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 1:38:18 PM
Author: FireGoddess
What a gorgeous setting. It really is a treasure, and so nice that your mom had stones put in it for you!
Thank you! My mom surprised me by adding the stones. At first, I thought she was just going to take the setting to be polished, and then when I opened the box, I saw it filled with stones. My initial reaction was that the shop gave her the wrong ring, then I after I looked closer, I recognized the setting.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
what a beautiful ring. I agree it looks art deco. It looks wonderful on your hand.

papillon

Rough_Rock
Oh mine! Your ring is gorgeous! Personally I think a white diamond in the center would make the ring look fantastic!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Diamondsrock - Thank you so much! I am not an expert, but I did notice some Deco qualities of the ring and have not seen anything like it.

papillon - I agree, a diamond would look best, however, I want my mom to enjoy the original diamond in a pendant for a while. The original diamond was graded as F-G by the appraiser & the small diamonds are E-F color.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A diamond would be nice but I love the Royal Deep Purple the Amethyst presents. I would keep it as is. A stunner in every way.

Lisa

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
i love it! very pretty! i love jewelry with a story!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
omieluv

that is beautiful :) It definitely looks art deco to me as well

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the peacock feather shots! It really is a beautiful ring and it looks really great on your hand.
36.gif
36.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
LisaRN - Thanks! The stone photographed better than it looks IRL. In photos with the peacock feather, I had turned the television on to provide a light source to enhance the color of the peacock feather. As a result, the light from the TV enhanced the color of the amethyst, however, on the hand it looks much like how it looks in the Geode pictures.

DeeLight - Perhaps I should take the ring to an antique dealer specializing in jewlery to learn more about its style. My guess is that it is a mix of Deco and styles of an earlier era.

Mintve
- Thanks to you as well. My favorite pieces of jewelry have stories behind them and/or are sentimental.

Catmom - I looooove the peacock feather shots too!! If I had a better camera, they would have come out more dramatic. BTW, I am getting closer to finding an aquamarine. I am working with 2 vendors who claim to have aqua rough with great deep blue color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results