shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my PP stuff....not entirely sure about some of it

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, here is the blue akoya strand. What do you think? Does the blue look a bit fake? Would I be better off with a single blue pearl to match my existing blue akoya studs?

gedc3237.jpg

gedc3242.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input, everyone! :wavey: And thanks for the info about size! I'm leaning towards returning the white metallics and getting the next size up next time they have a sale.

I guess I'm not crazy about the Tahitian pearl. The colour is just a bit dull. This is a bit annoying as it means I won't have anything to wear the black studs with.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1387147754|3574892 said:
My 8-8.5mm strand looks visibly larger on my neck than my 7-8mm Freshadama strand.

Don't forget it's not just diameter-- it's volume. An 8mm pearl is about 14% wider in diameter than a 7mm pearl, but its volume is 49% greater. Simple math.

Pearls take quite a jump in price when you go up to the 8mm size, yes-- but you can save money by waiting until there is a 15% or 20% discount code.

Pearlsngems - thank you for pointing that out to me, about the visual size difference. I'm a math dunce, myself! :lol:

Yes, with a 20% sale and with taking half an inch off the length, the cost of the 8-8.5mm metallics would probably end up being about $580. Not so bad.

Earlier up the thread you asked if a SSP strand was in my budget. Sadly not for the round ones, and I think the baroque ones are just too large and baroque for me. My blue akoya baroque strand looks almost round because I kept the size small. (I don't like very large baroque pearls.)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
=)
As a result of your thread, I decided to calculate the volume differences for various size pearls and started a thread about it on the other pearl forum.

Basically here it is:

16mm pearl: 2144 cubic mm (21% larger than 15mm pearls, and over 3 times as large as 11mm pearls.)
15mm pearl: 1766 cubic mm (23% larger than 14mm pearls)
14mm pearl: 1436 cubic mm (25% larger than 13mm) (twice as large as 11mm, and over 5x as large as 8mm pearls)
13mm pearl: 1150 cubic mm (27% larger than 12mm)
12mm pearl: 904 cubic mm (30% larger than 11mm and 73% larger than 10mm; over 3 times as large as 8mm)
11mm pearl: 697 cubic mm (33% larger than 10mm)
10mm pearl: 523 cubic mm (37% larger than 9mm, 95% larger than 8mm)
9mm pearl: 382 cubic mm (43% larger than 8mm; 2 times as large as 7mm pearls)
8mm pearl: 268 cubic mm (49% larger than 7mm)
7mm pearl: 180 cubic mm (59% larger than 6mm)
6mm pearl: 113 cubic mm (74% larger than 5mm pearls)
5mm pearl: 65 cubic mm

Note: An increase of one millimeter makes more of a difference when the pearls are small than when they are large.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, pearlsngems! :appl: That is very useful for the math-blind, like me. But where is the other pearl forum? (You say thatyou are going to start a thread about it on the other pearl forum.)

What do you think of the Tahitian pearl pendant? And, if you were not in the know but just happened to see someone wearing a strand like my blue akoyas, would you think they were fake/dyed?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we're not allowed to provide links to it. If you Google the words "pearl information forum", it's the second one that comes up.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, you asked about your other pearls.

The silver blue akoyas will be recognized as such by those "in the know." People who don't know these pearls come in natural colors may assume they are dyed. I have a watermelon tourmaline slice pendant made for my by my husband-- I was once complimented on my "stained glass" pendant. Clearly that was someone who didn't know about watermelon tourmaline slices! :lol:

The Tahitian, I think your photos are not bringing out the colors. It's hard to capture the colors of pearls!!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, pearlsngems! :wavey:

You know, I actually thought you meant another forum about pearls here on PS! I see what you mean now.

Re. my Tahitian, that's actually what it looks like. Dark greyish and not that colourful. :(

Smith1942|1387158174|3574985 said:
Thanks, pearlsngems! :appl: That is very useful for the math-blind, like me. But where is the other pearl forum? (You say thatyou are going to start a thread about it on the other pearl forum.)

What do you think of the Tahitian pearl pendant? And, if you were not in the know but just happened to see someone wearing a strand like my blue akoyas, would you think they were fake/dyed?

I have a blue akoya strand that are my absolute favorite. F A V O R I T E. I get compliments on them a lot. When I mention they are natural blue people look at me like.... :shock: :confused: :shock: LOL and it's ok. I know they are natural and awesome. Who cares if people think they are fake? My husband always says that if people think it's fake I'm less likely to get robbed :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1387154253|3574939 said:
Thanks for the input, everyone! :wavey: And thanks for the info about size! I'm leaning towards returning the white metallics and getting the next size up next time they have a sale.

I guess I'm not crazy about the Tahitian pearl. The colour is just a bit dull. This is a bit annoying as it means I won't have anything to wear the black studs with.
How do you feel about the blue akoyas? Are you going to return those as well? Are they a good match for your studs?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I think they're beautiful, but I do wonder if I might get more wear out of a solitaire pearl pendant. Although I know that they're not dyed, it bothers me a little that they probably look dyed to most people. The pearls have quite a rose overtone which is gorgeous, but my earrings have no overtone. Still, you'd have to hold them right next to each other to see any difference - when worn, they all look like silvery-blue pearls.

This strand was a custom order since I asked for 15.5 inches and it was also 20% off, so if I were to return it and then re-buy it in the future (say if I were to get fed up with wearing just a single blue pearl) it probably wouldn't be such a good price. Seems a shame to return it when it was strung for me, you know? And even if some might think they're dyed, they look really, really pretty.

You know, I think I might keep these blue akoyas! I'm reasonably clear about sending back the metallics and getting the larger size next time there's a sale, because they look so similar to my white akoyas, which are the same size.

I'm really not sure what to do about the black set. I'm really not in love with the Tahitian pearl, it just looks dark grey-silver whereas I thought it would be the glorious green of the earrings in my link at the beginning of the thread. And if I send back the Tahitian, I might as well send back the black freshwater studs since I wouldn't have anything to wear them with.

I really am disappointed in that Tahitian. I mean, when you select green, you expect it to be a bit more definitely green. Of course, I'm not experienced with Tahitians and I thought "green overtone" meant it would be like the linked studs.

Although I'm not in love with the Tahitian pearl, I have to admit that the pearl and the studs together do look like a very tasteful set, in my opinion. Argh. Don't know what to do!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
bean|1387167179|3575075 said:
Smith1942|1387158174|3574985 said:

I have a blue akoya strand that are my absolute favorite. F A V O R I T E. I get compliments on them a lot. When I mention they are natural blue people look at me like.... :shock: :confused: :shock: LOL and it's ok. I know they are natural and awesome. Who cares if people think they are fake? My husband always says that if people think it's fake I'm less likely to get robbed :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Thanks for the thoughts! Yes, the blue akoyas are really pretty. I think I might just keep them!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1387177873|3575119 said:
I think they're beautiful, but I do wonder if I might get more wear out of a solitaire pearl pendant. Although I know that they're not dyed, it bothers me a little that they probably look dyed to most people. The pearls have quite a rose overtone which is gorgeous, but my earrings have no overtone. Still, you'd have to hold them right next to each other to see any difference - when worn, they all look like silvery-blue pearls.

This strand was a custom order since I asked for 15.5 inches and it was also 20% off, so if I were to return it and then re-buy it in the future (say if I were to get fed up with wearing just a single blue pearl) it probably wouldn't be such a good price. Seems a shame to return it when it was strung for me, you know? And even if some might think they're dyed, they look really, really pretty.

You know, I think I might keep these blue akoyas! I'm reasonably clear about sending back the metallics and getting the larger size next time there's a sale, because they look so similar to my white akoyas, which are the same size.

I'm really not sure what to do about the black set. I'm really not in love with the Tahitian pearl, it just looks dark grey-silver whereas I thought it would be the glorious green of the earrings in my link at the beginning of the thread. And if I send back the Tahitian, I might as well send back the black freshwater studs since I wouldn't have anything to wear them with.

I really am disappointed in that Tahitian. I mean, when you select green, you expect it to be a bit more definitely green. Of course, I'm not experienced with Tahitians and I thought "green overtone" meant it would be like the linked studs.

Although I'm not in love with the Tahitian pearl, I have to admit that the pearl and the studs together do look like a very tasteful set, in my opinion. Argh. Don't know what to do!
I know what you mean about the Tahitians. If you're really after a pendant like the one that you linked, you could try sending PP an email with the picture and see if they can find one like that for you. If you don't love what you have, you should send it back.

I've been pinning a bunch of PP stuff to my Pinterest page, so I'm hoping that PP will have another sale soon too! I know that they have another big one around Mother's Day.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Figuring out what to keep and what to return is a process. For me, it becomes clearer as the days/weeks go by. Suddenly, one day, I know I'm going to the post office! (Sometimes I am clear the moment I open the package.) The great thing about PP is they have a no-questions-asked, very friendly return policy. If you continue to buy pearls, you will become familiar with what to expect from pictures, what size mm you really want with each particular purchase, and what questions to ask before buying. You're in the learning phase. This should be fun, not worrisome. Enjoy the process!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I really am disappointed in that Tahitian. I mean, when you select green, you expect it to be a bit more definitely green. Of course, I'm not experienced with Tahitians and I thought "green overtone" meant it would be like the linked studs.!

Green overtone and green body are two very different things. I think you are looking for a green body. Your Tahitian has a dark grey/silver body and the green overtone is what you should see around the edge when you turn it. Definitely email PP a photo of what you are looking for if you decide to exchange it.

If you love the black earrings I would keep them, as you may not find another pair you like as well in the future. They are a great basic! I would wear those just on their own or even mixed with your white akoya strand.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my 2 cents (and that's over priced). Since you love the blue Akoyas I'm glad to hear you're keeping them. I have a strand and love wearing them. No one has asked me if they're dyed (I don't think there are too many pearl addicts around here) but if they did and say they're natural blue and very rare!!!

As for the metallics I agree with what you're planning on doing - sending them back in order to get a bigger mm size in the future. I've found that I really prefer larger pearls these days and that would be a stunning piece.

Now for the Tahitian. If you don't love it after a couple of days then definitely send it back. Let PP know why you're sending it back - that you want a really really green one and have them put it on your "wish list" so they can let you know when they get one. For the studs if you love them keep them. Some of us like to occasionally mix up what we're wearing so it's not always matchy matchy. And they could be a staple in your jewelry wardrobe to wear with anything!

Just my thoughts. Have a great Monday!!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
My 2 cents too.... Does that make 4? :lol:
Question, Why did you choose to buy dyed freshwater pearl earrings to wear with a Tahitian pearl pendant. Wouldn't it be prudent to have PP select all the pearls to match? Tahitians can be purchased in small MM sizes.

As for the baby blue baroque akoyas, I have two strands and some mixed in a Vietnamese akoya multi color necklace. No one as ever asked,"Are they dyed?" Most admire and ask just what they are. Here is the two cents part, if you are worried what people think on this strand, why did you buy dyed freshwater earrings? Most people have NO idea what black pearls are and they would stand out as suspect before light blue pearls would as fake.

I personally have had numerous people say " Nice Beads" when looking at my multi color Tahitian strand. I just correct them and tell them they are Naturally colored Tahitian pearls, that really messes with their minds. Pearls in most minds are white and anything other than that are fake or beads. Like others have said, they are the safest items for the amount of money you pay to wear. No one knows what they are worth and if they are real. There is little to no pawn value so robbing you is not worth their while.

As for waiting for freshadama grade metallic pearls, more than likely the pearls will look similar except perhaps the freshadama will be round, Jeremy is pretty picky when buying these so the look of the pearl will be similar to what you already have.
There is a difference in my white and cream metallics with the white having a much more noticeable green undertone. Do you notice that on your strand? I guess there could be different looks in the white.

I hope you end up with just what you're looking for. If you have a photo of the colors to show them what you have in mind, that may help.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your post was so interesting, NacreLover. I think people in our area (Connecticut) are more aware of Tahitians and what they are, though. They are not uncommon items in jewelry stores.

renwea

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942, I've been reading your post with interest. I have a Tahitian baroque pearl from PP that I had made into a pendant . It is quite green to look at. Is this more what you are looking for? You need to be happy with your purchase. I'm sure they have just what you are looking for.
One picture is under lights and the other is taken by a window.

_12728.jpg

_12729.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
renwea|1387206427|3575249 said:
Smith1942, I've been reading your post with interest. I have a Tahitian baroque pearl from PP that I had made into a pendant . It is quite green to look at. Is this more what you are looking for? You need to be happy with your purchase. I'm sure they have just what you are looking for.
One picture is under lights and the other is taken by a window.

Renwea, yes that's more what I was expecting. Thanks! Is it a green body pearl or green overtone?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1387201506|3575199 said:
I really am disappointed in that Tahitian. I mean, when you select green, you expect it to be a bit more definitely green. Of course, I'm not experienced with Tahitians and I thought "green overtone" meant it would be like the linked studs.!

Green overtone and green body are two very different things. I think you are looking for a green body. Your Tahitian has a dark grey/silver body and the green overtone is what you should see around the edge when you turn it. Definitely email PP a photo of what you are looking for if you decide to exchange it.

If you love the black earrings I would keep them, as you may not find another pair you like as well in the future. They are a great basic! I would wear those just on their own or even mixed with your white akoya strand.

Thank you for clearing that up! Interesting idea about mixing the black and white pearls....

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1387203542|3575222 said:
My 2 cents too.... Does that make 4? :lol:
Question, Why did you choose to buy dyed freshwater pearl earrings to wear with a Tahitian pearl pendant. Wouldn't it be prudent to have PP select all the pearls to match? Tahitians can be purchased in small MM sizes.

As for the baby blue baroque akoyas, I have two strands and some mixed in a Vietnamese akoya multi color necklace. No one as ever asked,"Are they dyed?" Most admire and ask just what they are. Here is the two cents part, if you are worried what people think on this strand, why did you buy dyed freshwater earrings? Most people have NO idea what black pearls are and they would stand out as suspect before light blue pearls would as fake.

I personally have had numerous people say " Nice Beads" when looking at my multi color Tahitian strand. I just correct them and tell them they are Naturally colored Tahitian pearls, that really messes with their minds. Pearls in most minds are white and anything other than that are fake or beads. Like others have said, they are the safest items for the amount of money you pay to wear. No one knows what they are worth and if they are real. There is little to no pawn value so robbing you is not worth their while.

As for waiting for freshadama grade metallic pearls, more than likely the pearls will look similar except perhaps the freshadama will be round, Jeremy is pretty picky when buying these so the look of the pearl will be similar to what you already have.
There is a difference in my white and cream metallics with the white having a much more noticeable green undertone. Do you notice that on your strand? I guess there could be different looks in the white.

I hope you end up with just what you're looking for. If you have a photo of the colors to show them what you have in mind, that may help.

Thanks for your long reply! :wavey:

Question 1: I looked for Tahitian studs in smaller sizes and could only find them in 8mm smallest. Smaller ones suit my ears and face better. Also, I couldn't really afford Tahitian studs right now in addition to the other items and my Black Friday BGD pendant! I love the tasteful look of all "black" pearls and the black freshwaters didn't look dyed - i.e. not matte black - they looked as if they shimmered with different colours, so I thought I'd give them a chance. I think Tahitian studs don't come in size 6.5-7mm? Anyway, to me - and to most people, I imagine - the dyed blacks really look like Tahitians! I thought it would be an inexpensive way of getting a very classy look - i.e. black pearl studs and pendant. Also, since many people have seen Tahitians, even if they're not familiar with their ins and outs, I think they look less "fake" than blue akoyas because - well,you never see blue pearls anywhere except the fake pearl counter in stores like Macy's, whereas many people know that Tahitian pearls/dark/black pearls do exist.

To get technical for a minute, they're not completely natural, anyway, are they? Blue pearls don't occur in nature. I think the oyster has something inserted?

Yes, the metallic freshadama won't be much different, I agree, but I'm going to get a larger size of the metallic freshwaters, I think, so it's different from my akoya strand.

Thanks again for your help! :wavey:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
pkinnew|1387202224|3575207 said:
Here's my 2 cents (and that's over priced). Since you love the blue Akoyas I'm glad to hear you're keeping them. I have a strand and love wearing them. No one has asked me if they're dyed (I don't think there are too many pearl addicts around here) but if they did and say they're natural blue and very rare!!!

As for the metallics I agree with what you're planning on doing - sending them back in order to get a bigger mm size in the future. I've found that I really prefer larger pearls these days and that would be a stunning piece.

Now for the Tahitian. If you don't love it after a couple of days then definitely send it back. Let PP know why you're sending it back - that you want a really really green one and have them put it on your "wish list" so they can let you know when they get one. For the studs if you love them keep them. Some of us like to occasionally mix up what we're wearing so it's not always matchy matchy. And they could be a staple in your jewelry wardrobe to wear with anything!

Just my thoughts. Have a great Monday!!

Thanks!! I am having trouble making my decisions so this is very helpful!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1387179615|3575123 said:

I know what you mean about the Tahitians. If you're really after a pendant like the one that you linked, you could try sending PP an email with the picture and see if they can find one like that for you. If you don't love what you have, you should send it back.

I've been pinning a bunch of PP stuff to my Pinterest page, so I'm hoping that PP will have another sale soon too! I know that they have another big one around Mother's Day.

Thanks for the tip-off about Mother's Day!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1387195960|3575164 said:
Also it's good to be aware of their return policy on customized or special order items:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/t-custom_order_policy.aspx

Thanks! Yeah, I know there's a $20 restringing fee for custom strands. They told me that when I ordered my custom-length blue akoyas. I think $20 is a fair fee.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1387192986|3575151 said:
Figuring out what to keep and what to return is a process. For me, it becomes clearer as the days/weeks go by. Suddenly, one day, I know I'm going to the post office! (Sometimes I am clear the moment I open the package.) The great thing about PP is they have a no-questions-asked, very friendly return policy. If you continue to buy pearls, you will become familiar with what to expect from pictures, what size mm you really want with each particular purchase, and what questions to ask before buying. You're in the learning phase. This should be fun, not worrisome. Enjoy the process!

Thanks for the positive thoughts! Yeah, this is definitely a process! I so wish I could visit PP and see all the loot, but I live in Boston.

Well here are my 2 cents as well... And just remember this is just my opinion and ultimately you need to do what you feel is right.

I do not like dyed pearls. They seem cheap to me and I don't think they fool anyone. This is coming from me- my first pearl purchase being 10mm dyed black fw for over $200. I like them... They're ok but they DO NOT come close to real Tahitians. Not at all. I haven't worn them in years. I wouldn't wear a fake diamond and I don't like fake colored pearls. Just me though.

I have a squealing baby sitting here so I'm losing track of what I'm trying to say.

Basically, do what makes you happy! not others ::)

Smith1942|1387210879|3575307 said:
bsomlo|1387192986|3575151 said:

Thanks for the positive thoughts! Yeah, this is definitely a process! I so wish I could visit PP and see all the loot, but I live in Boston.

Me too!, I'm in the Midwest and I'd loooove to go to PP!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm enjoying this thread and I find the comments on your Tahitian pendant interesting.

I live near a couple of great high end designers, and the sorts of Tahitians they select for their custom pieces tend to look just like your Tahitian. Smooth and grey. These are very fine pearls, and look outstanding in their jewelry. But, I'm more of a color and baroque sort of gal, and I prefer more interesting looking pearls.

I think that your expectations were higher than what was being promised. Those Tahitian studs have exceptionally fine color, and you can tell from the comments in that thread that such color is not the norm. This is one reason that I have availed myself of 4Ranch Girl's offer to select pearls in person for us on her shopping trips to PP. You can be more sure that you will get what you are looking for, at least if it is available at that time. I have sometimes been disappointed that the sale items do not look like hand-selected pearls. I no longer expect this of sale pieces. I do find it useful to have some lower quality pieces that I use for travel. I would not weep buckets if they should go missing. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results