shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my PP stuff....not entirely sure about some of it

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I got my blue baroque akoya pearl necklace, my metallic freshwater white strand, my dyed black freshwater studs, and my Tahitian pearl pendant, all from PP.

They are all very nice, but I'm not convinced that they're necessarily right for me.

The blue pearls - the shape is OK, but there are quite a few pearls which have large holes in the nacre. The necklace is still very nice, but I think I might prefer a single blue round pearl pendant to match my blue akoya earrings.

The metallic white freshwater strand isn't quite as metallic as I thought, and I might actually send this back and wait until PP gets the white metallic freshadamas in again, which should be March.

The dyed black freshwater pearls and the Tahitian pearl pendant: I asked for green tones but neither are as green as I thought, but more dark silver-grey with a hint of green. I was expecting them to look like the green in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-pp-hanadama-tahitian-studs.190539/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-pp-hanadama-tahitian-studs.190539/[/URL]

Like the Tahitian pearls in this thread, I asked for green tones and paid for AAA quality, and although the quality seems fine the pendant just isn't the beautiful green of the studs in this thread.

Regarding the dyed black freshwater studs, I'm seriously impressed. Although they don't have quite the tone I wanted, they totally have the Tahitian look (except they're smaller than real Tahitians) but they shimmer with different tones and I don't think anyone would ever know that they are dyed.

I'll take some pictures.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you are disappointed in your purchases :(( You may want to keep them for a few days and see if you warm up to them or not.

The studs you are looking at are actually blue-green not green. I know you were hoping to match your pendant to your fw studs, but I am fairly certain black freshwaters don't come in that color :confused: Since you love your black fw earrings, maybe you could get a black fw pendant made up instead to go with those and then look into getting a set of the blue-green Tahitians too? A girl can never have too many pearls :lol:

If you don't love the baroque akoyas I think your idea for a round blue akoya pendant is a great one! I love my wSS pendant and definitely wear it more than my strands. I hope to add some more pendants to my collection soon :naughty:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
So sorry that the PP stuff didn't meet your expectations! I had the same feelings that you did when I received my grandmother's Tahitians - the colors weren't nearly as vibrant in real-life as they are in the pictures I received from Jeremy. However, they looked so good when worn (so grey and shiny) that I loved them anyway.

I'm not entirely sure that the Freshadama metallics will be more metallic than the ones that you have. They may just end up being more round. How do you feel about the shape of your metallics though?

I do want to see pictures of the loot though!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to insult PP's stuff - it's all really nice, the pearls are all gorgeous, I'm just not sure that some of it is quite right for me, right now. For example, I do already have a strand of 6mm white freshwaters, not great quality, from Lord and Taylor. I'll compare the two in a minute. I might prefer to go up in size as I do also have a 7-7.5mm white akoya strand. I like 9-10mm so I might save up for those instead of the strand I just got.

With the black freshwater studs, there is actually a choice of overtone on the website, and since I chose green, I thought they'd look more like the studs in the link.

I've got a few things to do and then I'll post some photos. I'd be very interested to know what people think of the Tahitian pearl colour considering I chose green overtone. I'm not very familiar with Tahitian pearls so maybe it looks like it's supposed to!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to pictures.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I didn't think you were insulting anything..it's just when you buy from the internet photos it's always difficult when the item arrives and seems different. This is especially true with coloured pearls imo. Do post some photos please..be interesting for everyone to take a look I'm sure. Don't be discouraged...there are just the right pearls out there for you..we can all get a bit crazy during a sale !!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never been disappointed with any of my purchases from PP, perhaps I had been lucky or too easily pleased!

Re: trying to match dyed CFWP/Akoyas to match natural Tahitians, although I am sure it can be done, however, I am not so sure if it can be done that easily. It is not exactly comparing like with like, with one being artificial while the other is natural.

It would be more sensible to select pearls from the same dyed lot for making into jewellery items in order to be certain that the pearls are of the same colour and tone.

This is based on what my mum has taught me with regard to the need to buy knitting yarn with the same dye lot number for use on a garment, as very subtle colour/tone difference can be very obvious in the finished garment.

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearls, being made by nature and not a factory, are sometimes hard to match, and hard to find in exactly the tone we want. Those green Tahitan pearls in your link are greener than any others I've seen-- I'd say they are exceptional.

The white metallics...I have to agree that the Freshadama grade will be rounder primarily but you may find that Freshadamas are slightly more lustrous as well. I say "may" because I have one pair of AAA white metallic studs that are every bit as lustrous as my Freshadama white metallic studs, and another pair that are a little less lustrous. But with any strand you should expect to find some variability from one pearl to another. My AAA stand has some pearls that are more lustrous, and others that are rounder. Overall however, the strand is AAA.

In short, it may be worth your while to try buying a Freshadama grade metallic and see if it works out better for you, but you may find it was not different enough from the AAA to suit you.

Have you considered getting a high end akoya strand instead?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1387121599|3574667 said:
Pearls, being made by nature and not a factory, are sometimes hard to match, and hard to find in exactly the tone we want. Those green Tahitan pearls in your link are greener than any others I've seen-- I'd say they are exceptional.

The white metallics...I have to agree that the Freshadama grade will be rounder primarily but you may find that Freshadamas are slightly more lustrous as well. I say "may" because I have one pair of AAA white metallic studs that are every bit as lustrous as my Freshadama white metallic studs, and another pair that are a little less lustrous. But with any strand you should expect to find some variability from one pearl to another. My AAA stand has some pearls that are more lustrous, and others that are rounder. Overall however, the strand is AAA.

In short, it may be worth your while to try buying a Freshadama grade metallic and see if it works out better for you, but you may find it was not different enough from the AAA to suit you.

Have you considered getting a high end akoya strand instead?

Thanks, Pearlsandgems! :wavey: I do actually have a high-end akoya strand, which was about 1k in a sale from Blue Nile. Then, I have the low-grade $60 white freshwaters from Lord & Taylor. My idea in getting a top-quality freshwater strand was to be able to wear it every day for many years because it has solid nacre, while looking more like akoyas than my low-quality current freshwaters. I don't want to expose my delicate akoyas to that kind of wear, you see.

I'm not a pearl maven so don't need everything to match exactly. Disappointed to hear that the green in the link is exceptional - I really like it! I was expecting my Tahitian pearl to look more like that because I selected green overtone, but it's more grey-silver. I am going to post pics later today.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1387104330|3574586 said:
I have never been disappointed with any of my purchases from PP, perhaps I had been lucky or too easily pleased!

Re: trying to match dyed CFWP/Akoyas to match natural Tahitians, although I am sure it can be done, however, I am not so sure if it can be done that easily. It is not exactly comparing like with like, with one being artificial while the other is natural.

It would be more sensible to select pearls from the same dyed lot for making into jewellery items in order to be certain that the pearls are of the same colour and tone.

This is based on what my mum has taught me with regard to the need to buy knitting yarn with the same dye lot number for use on a garment, as very subtle colour/tone difference can be very obvious in the finished garment.

Thanks, DK! :wavey: You know, I'm not that fussy about the pearls matching exactly. I tried the dyed black studs and the Tahitian pearl on last night and they're definitely similar enough for me in tone. It's just that neither are as green as I expected, because I selected green overtones.

With the dyed black studs, you can select an overtone, but you can't do that with the dyed black strands. Not sure why not. Anyway, I'll post some pics in a couple of hours.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1387092042|3574557 said:
I didn't think you were insulting anything..it's just when you buy from the internet photos it's always difficult when the item arrives and seems different. This is especially true with coloured pearls imo. Do post some photos please..be interesting for everyone to take a look I'm sure. Don't be discouraged...there are just the right pearls out there for you..we can all get a bit crazy during a sale !!

Thank you so much for the kind words! Yes, I did get a bit crazy in the sale, but you've made me feel better about it now!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1387086111|3574540 said:
Looking forward to pictures.

I'm on it!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Smith1942|1387128991|3574725 said:
Thanks, Pearlsandgems! :wavey: I do actually have a high-end akoya strand, which was about 1k in a sale from Blue Nile. Then, I have the low-grade $60 white freshwaters from Lord & Taylor. My idea in getting a top-quality freshwater strand was to be able to wear it every day for many years because it has solid nacre, while looking more like akoyas than my low-quality current freshwaters. I don't want to expose my delicate akoyas to that kind of wear, you see.

When I first started looking at white strand last month I initially wanted to find a Natural White Hanadama strand to wear with my studs...they are just SO pretty :love: When I spoke with PP I was told that a strand like that shouldn't be an everyday strand because it is delicate. It is still on my "someday" wish list, but I decided to look at freshwater strands for the reason you mentioned above. I have a white freshadama strand and a metallic white strand on their way to me, so I can look at both side by side to choose. Have your tried your metallic white strand on again? Do you still dislike it? Looking forward to your photos!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1387130171|3574734 said:
Smith1942|1387128991|3574725 said:

When I first started looking at white strand last month I initially wanted to find a Natural White Hanadama strand to wear with my studs...they are just SO pretty :love: When I spoke with PP I was told that a strand like that shouldn't be an everyday strand because it is delicate. It is still on my "someday" wish list, but I decided to look at freshwater strands for the reason you mentioned above. I have a white freshadama strand and a metallic white strand on their way to me, so I can look at both side by side to choose. Have your tried your metallic white strand on again? Do you still dislike it? Looking forward to your photos!

Oh, I don't dislike it - it's beautiful! It looks like a high-quality akoya strand. However it looks TOO similar to my akoya strand, I think, because both are about the same size, 7.5mm-ish.

I once tried on a 10mm strand and that size really suited me, so that's why I thought I might save up for a metallic PP strand in a larger size, and it would also have the advantage of being something a bit different from the akoyas.

Just got a few things to do and will then be taking photos!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10mm metallic round strand is hard to come by. I have 9-10mm metallic studs and asked PP a few times for a full strand but they never had it.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: larger sizes in the white metallics, I think it was on the video from the PP visit on Oct. 24 that Jeremy said it woud be a few years until they might get in 9mm or larger white metallic strands. (I'm guessing the pearls need more time in the water to get larger?)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Babymonster and Pearlsnadgems, thank you so much for correcting me. I looked at the website and it was the freshadamas in sizes up to 10.5mm that I had seen, not the metallics. I was getting mixed up. I'm glad you sorted me out because this may be a factor in whether I keep or return my new metallics.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get you now! Yes, it's easy to confuse regular Freshadama with metallic white Freshadama. I have not seen the Freshadama grade white metallics listed on the PP website in any size larger than 7.5-8mm, whether earrings or strands.

I don't think the metallic whites are being cultivated specifically-- they seem to be culled from among other freshwaters. That's probably why they are so few.

Might white SSP be in your budget? That would be a way to get a larger, lustrous white strand that would have thick nacre and be able to be worn a lot. (Round SSP are not in my budget-- when I want to wear white round 10mm pearls, I reach for my Majorica imitation pearls. =) )

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Metallic white Freshadamas in 7.5-8mm that I am lusting after, I have just noticed they are now out of stock, and am tempted to contact Jeremy to ask if I could put my name down on the waiting list to get some when they are back in stock for my two-strand pearl clasp that I already have. :bigsmile:

However, I decided against it as I really must save some money in order to carry out some much needed external maintenance on my house next year.

Not sure if I would go for strand of 9-10mm metallic white Freshadamas when they become available in future, as I already have a strand of POJ's gorgeous Presidential Line in that size. I may change my mind when I see them in person if PP have them in stock when I visit them in 2016, of course.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
dk - my white metallics are 7-8mm. Even if I send them back, though, it won't help you since they are not freshadama!

Here are some pics. I'm particularly interested to hear what people think of the Tahitian pendant. It's AAA quality, green overtone. The chain is my own, not from PP.

First image is 15.5 inch blue akoya baroque strand, 7-7.5mm
Second strand in this image is the white metallic freshwater strand, 7-8mm. Note they are freshwater metallic and NOT freshadama metallic.

Second image is, top to bottom:
Blue akoyas as drescribed above.
Classic akoya 7-7.5mm 16-inch strand from Blue Nile with rose overtones, cost about 1k.
Below that are the white PP metallics described above.
The last strand is my low-quality freshwaters from lord and Taylor, 6-6.5mm, cost only $60.

Third image:
Necklaces are as above, but close-up and so the Lord and Taylor strand is omitted.

Fourth image:
Tahitian pearl in box, 9-10mm, AAA quality, and I selected green overtone. I know very little about Tahitians. Does it look as though it matches those specs? I'm not sure it's anything special.

More to come, including neck shots and black dyed freshwater studs.

gedc3221.jpg

gedc3226.jpg

gedc3228.jpg

gedc3206.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Here is a shot of the dyed black freshwater studs, and then some shots of them worn together with the Tahitian pendant. What do you think? I think they match quite well, but I'm not sure if the Tahitian is the best I can do. Would appreciate some feedback. The Tahitian was only about $100.

gedc3208.jpg

gedc3209.jpg

gedc3211.jpg

gedc3213.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
One more.

Off to get some neck shots of the blue akoyas and the white metallics.

gedc3215.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The white metallic fwp are quite similar to your akoyas-- they are equally lustrous (although the overtones are different) and the size is very close. I also note that your metallic white fwp are really quite round!

So I could see why you might feel that they are somewhat redundant (although, the fwp, being all nacre, could be worn daily without wearing out, unlike the akoyas.)

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I can't comment on the Tahitians as I don't know much about them, but I would like to say that the metallics look way more lustrous than your Lord & Taylor strand. I think you should keep it! ;-)

The earrings and the pendant seem to work quite well together in the picture. I can't tell that they're not a matched set.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, here are the metallics and the akoyas. Too similar? The first strand is the akoyas.

akoyas.jpg

freshwater_metallics.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1387145392|3574877 said:
I can't comment on the Tahitians as I don't know much about them, but I would like to say that the metallics look way more lustrous than your Lord & Taylor strand. I think you should keep it! ;-)

The earrings and the pendant seem to work quite well together in the picture. I can't tell that they're not a matched set.

Yeah, I'm impressed by those freshwater studs!

I agree that the Lord and Taylor strand isn't very lustrous. It was my first strand and I really just included it for interest, to show up how much more lustrous the more expensive pearls are!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1387145358|3574876 said:
The white metallic fwp are quite similar to your akoyas-- they are equally lustrous (although the overtones are different) and the size is very close. I also note that your metallic white fwp are really quite round!

So I could see why you might feel that they are somewhat redundant (although, the fwp, being all nacre, could be worn daily without wearing out, unlike the akoyas.)

Pearlsngems, yes, I'm torn. The two necklaces do look very similar but there is a durability issue. I COULD get a larger strand of metallics. These are 7-8mm, and there is a larger strand at 8-8.5mm. I'd love to have that made at 15.5-inches; I think that would look very chic. There is a cost difference though: these were $316 and the larger strand would be $750. Do you think I'd notice the difference in size very much, for that amount of money?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1387146781|3574887 said:
pearlsngems|1387145358|3574876 said:

Pearlsngems, yes, I'm torn. The two necklaces do look very similar but there is a durability issue. I COULD get a larger strand of metallics. These are 7-8mm, and there is a larger strand at 8-8.5mm. I'd love to have that made at 15.5-inches; I think that would look very chic. There is a cost difference though: these were $316 and the larger strand would be $750. Do you think I'd notice the difference in size very much, for that amount of money?
I think you will see the difference. You can always ask PP for a side-by-side photo comparison of the two different sized strands. I really like your metallics. They look round on your neck. And they're way more suitable for frequent wear than your Akoyas.

I also asked Jeremy about larger metallics a few weeks ago (9-9.5mm same as my Freshadamas) and he said that it would be very difficult to come by. He's going to Asia in March so if you want him to keep a lookout for you, you should contact him around then. The metallic whites in the larger sizes are usually drop-shaped. Because of the rarity of the round metallic whites, I'm going to keep my Freshadamas. I'm very happy with them!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 8-8.5mm strand looks visibly larger on my neck than my 7-8mm Freshadama strand.

Don't forget it's not just diameter-- it's volume. An 8mm pearl is about 14% wider in diameter than a 7mm pearl, but its volume is 49% greater. Simple math.

Pearls take quite a jump in price when you go up to the 8mm size, yes-- but you can save money by waiting until there is a 15% or 20% discount code.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see green in the pendant in the neck shots, however, I cannot see green in the studs.

The studs look good on their own though.

I have yet to wear pearl earrings and necklace together, not even if they are different colour. Therefore, it would not have bothered me if the studs and pendant do not match, as they will not be worn together.

As for the white Akoyas and PP metallics, I too believe they are too similar to justify having both.

However, a woman can never have too many jewellery, regardless of whether they are diamonds, CSs, or pearls. Otherwise sites like PS will not exist for long! :naughty:

I believe "mind clean" also applies to pearls, in that I know what I am wearing, even if they are just pearls to the untrained eyes.

Mind you, I mix imitation pearl stud earrings (only one pair of imitation Tahitian Majorca pearls in 11mm) and CZ jewellery with real ones, and am quite happy to point out the fake ones to peeps and tell them where I sourced them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results