shape
carat
color
clarity

Googie needs help picking a setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

googie

Rough_Rock
Ok guys,

I''ve picked the rock:

Round, 1.86, H, VS2, ideal cut, HCA score: 1.5, Price: $15,620 (before pricescope discount), AGS http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1087032.asp

Now I need some help picking the setting. I like the tiffany lucida. It''s cross over design looks good, its a very natural looking design. Can this design be used with a round diamond? Does it need to have 4 prongs or 6? I read somewhere that anything over 1.2 in size needs 6 prongs. White gold or platinum?
Where do I go to get a setting like the tiffany lucida (that is if it works for a round stone).

Any suggestions for settings? Keep in mind I do not want to spend too much on this considering how much the stone is. Keep it under $500.

Thanks everyone for your help
21.gif

ring setting547sw.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with the X-Prong. Ellen has a GORGEOUS round stone in it. It is a PS favorite ring and has a very similar look...

I'll find pictures. Be right back.

EDIT: Ooops...just noticed that you want to keep it under $500... Can't help you there, there isn't anything too interesting in that price range unfortunately. If you can splurge AT ALL, I would up that budget a bit for such a gorgeous stone...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I agree with neatfreak the vatche x-prong is BEAUTIFUL and is very similar to the lucinda :)it was exactly what I was going to suggest.

apart from that I can''t think of anything sorry

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''ll be lucky to find anything other than a basic tiffany style stock setting in platinum for less than $500. really lucky.
actually, you''ll be lucky to find anything much different or more intritcate than the basic tiffany style stock setting in wg for less than $500.

hopefully you will find something that you love!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
If you are buying the diamond from James Allen, they seem to have quite a few settings in or under your price range. Will they not throw in the setting for free? When I bought my diamond, I made sure to ask if the price they quoted me included a plain gold cathedral setting and she said "Yes, we can''t justify making you pay for the gold, the diamond is what''s costing you".

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 9:47:46 PM
Author:googie
Any suggestions for settings? Keep in mind I do not want to spend too much on this considering how much the stone is. Keep it under $500.

21.gif
Because of this, and the size, I wouldn''t skimp on the setting.
2.gif
I know you just spent a lot on the diamond, but in the big scheme of things, 700-800 dollars for the setting really isn''t that much. You want a well made "home" for that beauty, I''d be careful what you pick. This is a once in a lifetime purchase, you want to get it right!
5.gif

And I would have suggested my setting (in WG), but neatfreak already so kindly did. (Thank you mam!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 7:38:37 AM
Author: beau13
If you are buying the diamond from James Allen, they seem to have quite a few settings in or under your price range. Will they not throw in the setting for free? When I bought my diamond, I made sure to ask if the price they quoted me included a plain gold cathedral setting and she said ''Yes, we can''t justify making you pay for the gold, the diamond is what''s costing you''.
beau, I know local retailers will often do this (with simple settings), but I''ve never heard of an online site doing it, because they''re already selling the stone at a substantial savings.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 7:59:56 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/13/2007 9:47:46 PM
Author:googie

21.gif
Because of this, and the size, I wouldn''t skimp on the setting.
2.gif
I know you just spent a lot on the diamond, but in the big scheme of things, 700-800 dollars for the setting really isn''t that much. You want a well made ''home'' for that beauty, I''d be careful what you pick. This is a once in a lifetime purchase, you want to get it right!
5.gif

And I would have suggested my setting (in WG), but neatfreak already so kindly did. (Thank you mam!)
hehehe....i was going to point that out too ellen. last night i was seriously thinking ''you want to spend LESS THAN $500 for the holder of your 16k diamond?''
33.gif

maybe googie is approaching it more like a challenge. tall order!

googie

Rough_Rock
Good advice guys. I can go higher in price, I suppose I didn''t think I would need to but it looks like I will need to spend the money to get something nice. I just didn''t realize how expensive the settings were. I think I will just get the diamond delivered and then go somewhere locally and have it set. Is this a good idea and if so whats a good retailer to go to? Ellen I saw the pics of yours it looks great, what size is the stone if you don''t mind me asking? I am not totally set on this setting either so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
21.gif

googie

Rough_Rock
The picture I submitted at the start of this thread is a picture from James Allen of what they have. I know the stone is incorrect but they told me they could do this setting for a round stone also. I am not sure on the price.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 8:58:16 AM
Author: googie
Good advice guys. I can go higher in price, I suppose I didn''t think I would need to but it looks like I will need to spend the money to get something nice. I just didn''t realize how expensive the settings were. I think I will just get the diamond delivered and then go somewhere locally and have it set. Is this a good idea and if so whats a good retailer to go to? Ellen I saw the pics of yours it looks great, what size is the stone if you don''t mind me asking? I am not totally set on this setting either so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
21.gif
sticker shock hits hard sometimes! btw...you will likely find settings to be MUCH higher priced locally. i did anyway. i wouldn''t recommend having the diamond set locally (even though i have had it done). your best bet is to have the vendor you buy the stone from set it because they usually take responsibility for any damage done during setting. the local guys won''t. did ja have any settings that looked good to you?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 8:58:16 AM
Author: googie

Thanks,
21.gif
It''s a fine idea, if you find one willing to set a stone they didn''t sell you. Some will, some won''t, you just need to ask around. It''s a great way to establish a relationship with someone who can clean and work on your ring in the future. As for who, I wouldn''t know, as I don''t know your area. However, I would target privately owned shops, not chain or mall stores.

My stone is a 1.40, 7.25 diameter.

I really like the idea of a simple setting to showcase the stone. Obviously.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Typing while belle was. She does raise a point about responsibility of setting, but I''d still ask around. You may find one willing....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 9:09:11 AM
Author: Ellen
Typing while belle was. She does raise a point about responsibility of setting, but I''d still ask around. You may find one willing....
yes, if you find one that will take the responsibility OR if you are willing to take the risk, go local. absolutely nothing wrong with that.

googie

Rough_Rock
Would any of the less expensive Solitaire Settings on the James Allen site work? They don''t look too bad for the price. It would be good to have them set it so I wouldn''t have to worry about doing it locally but I I wouldn''t be able to see it first.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it true that you should set anything over 1.2 in 6 prongs?
33.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 9:25:44 AM
Author: Maisie
33.gif
No, where did you hear that Maise?

Googie, yes, it would be nice if you could find one at JA. I don''t know a lot about their settings and the quality, to be honest. Maybe do a search on here and see what you find.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Googie said it in the first post.....
1.gif

I only ask as I have just chosen my new diamond and its bigger than 1.2 and I am keeping my original 4 prong setting
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 9:42:51 AM
Googie said it in the first post.....
1.gif
oops
lol.gif
missed that.
emembarrassed.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

googie

Rough_Rock
I may be wrong, I just remember reading that somewhere.
34.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi There,
I agree with the other posters, you probably would want to increase your setting budget a tad higher. Unless of course, you want to change it out sooner rather than later. But $800 is probably a starting point for Platinum. Gold will be less expensive.

I know that Solomon Brothers (solomonbrothers.com) has a decent clearance section & you may find something there.

Mavilo.com is a good site too. Most rings are quoted for gold. Seems a lot of online vendors use this company so might be another option.

Have fun! You have a lovely stone, show it off.
31.gif
36.gif

Judy
:)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
googie, I just thought of this. If you went with the D''Vatche, the stone gets sent to them (the company), they set their stones. Just a heads up.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds good, but I''d call them and enquire about this situation, just to be sure.
28.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 9:25:44 AM
33.gif
Yes, I am wondering why this is? Mine is almost 2 carats, and set into 4 heavy prongs...it''s not going anywhere...I''ve seen stones in the 3 carat size or greater set in 4 prong settings.

googie

Rough_Rock
Just got the stone by FedEx and holy moly it is nice!!
23.gif
36.gif

I will post pics when I get it set.

What do you guys think the best solitaire setting is for showing off this stone.

All suggestions are welcome.

It sounds like $500 aint gonna cut it for the setting so lets say $1000

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif
36.gif

Are you still wanting a simple style with no pave/diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results