shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Asscher diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tjm

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a square emerald cut, H, VVS2, GIA certified diamond online through a retail dealer mentioned often on this site.
It''s specs are:
Measurements: 5.56 x 5.56 x3.86
Weight:1.01
Depth: 69.4
Table: 63
Girdle: M
Polish: EX
Sym: VG
Flor: None

I paid $4300. Did I get a good deal?
TJM

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have some pictures?
The price is in line with others.

tjm

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response. No, unfortunately, I don''t have any pictures. Under the microscope it looks great and nearly identical to the other asschers you and others have described and shown pictured in the different threads.

How would I know if this is really "my diamond" though. I have the GIA grading report, and it looks legitimate. But I have heard those horror stories of "mosainite" diamonds sent with forged documents. As I have looked for a setting I have shown it to 2 or 3 different jewelers and none has said "I think you got ripped off." All have said "that''s a nice stone," or "you got a great deal." Any suggestions other than an appraisal? I would think that most jewelers would be happy to tell me I''d been had if I had been, but mosts also were prickly about my online purchase, and none offered to appraise it for me (at any fee).

Since I have the GIA report, and since the retailer appears to have an exceptional record (staff were very helpful) can I be fairly assured that it is legitimately my diamond and not some moisanite (or other) fake?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2005 9:48:26 AM
Author: tjm

Since I have the GIA report, and since the retailer appears to have an exceptional record (staff were very helpful) can I be fairly assured that it is legitimately my diamond and not some moisanite (or other) fake?
I would be.

Other than an appraiser or jeweler... i is not clear who could reassure you. Perhaps someone else could identify that the stone is "a diamond" but might not be able to swear that it is the same as the stone mentioned in the GIA cert.

Even buying from a shop nextdoor there''s really no better way to tell if what you get is for real, unless you become an expert yourself. Can you immagine what it could have been like without lab reports !
2.gif

tjm

Rough_Rock
Thank you...
I am hoping to arrange to have the stone set this week. Should I ask to have the jeweler who sets it do a formal appraisal then for a fee? Since I have the GIA lab report, do I need a formal appraisal for insurance purposes?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2005 10:4:15 AM
Author: tjm

Since I have the GIA lab report, do I need a formal appraisal for insurance purposes?
I would think so. Just because there is no value mentioned on the GIA report. I am not sure if you can obtain effective insurance for the stone before it is set. The jeweler's insurance covers his risk of damaging your stone ... if he has such insurance.

Usually rings are insured, not loose stones.

Check THIS out
2.gif

tjm

Rough_Rock
Thanks again!
How long should such an appraisal take?

Can I drop the diamond off and then return later that day typically?

It sounds like any reputable jeweler should have liability insurance that covers any damage when they set the stone; do I just ask "what is your policy? Do you have liability insurance in the event that the stone is damaged during mounting?"

Not to be excessivley paranoid, but how can I know that they haven''t switched my diamond for another when it''s is set?

Since I bought the diamond from an online retailer I have ten days to have it appraised. That gives me until this upcoming Friday. Can most jewelers schedule an appraisal within a week for a fee?
When I drop the diamond off for appraisal or mounting do I get a receipt of some kind that states the rights and responsibilities?

Thanks again for all your help!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't appraisal done on the spot ?

No jeweler I ever met would trade their business for a single diamond... if they steel one (= "switch") that effectively what happens. Aparently shit happens, but this is one particularly rare kind
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results