shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold Filled Jewelry

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always thought gold filled jewelry was junk and not even worth looking at. Then one day I was digging through a jewelry armoire at this local vintage shop and found a signet ring with my DH initial. Didn't fit his pinky but it fit mine so I've been wearing it since. It's 10K gold filled. I've also picked up some vintage bracelets lately that are 12K over sterling, tonight I found a white gold band, really pretty that is very art deco in design and stamped 1/30 14K Gold shell.

Anyone else have some gold filled jewelry and if so do you wear it often? How has it held up over the years?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m learning that it’s definitely not junk! I just purchased an antique chain that was advertised as 15ct gold filled and it wasn’t inexpensive. Here’s what a seller sent me when I was asking about the differences in filled, rolled, plating, etc:

Gold-filled describes a gold "sandwich" that has been produced by mechanically bonding a thin layer of gold to both sides of a thick base metal (usually brass) core. The sandwich of gold/brass/gold is rolled under very high pressure until bonded and to the desired thickness. Law requires that the gold content be no less than 1/20th (by weight) of the total metal content in order to be called gold-filled. Roughly 80-120 microns thick on items such as watch cases.

Rolled Gold Plate (R.G.P.) is similar to gold-filled, but with a thinner layer of gold required. Gold sandwiches less than 1/20th gold by weight that are produced by mechanical (pressing) means will generally be called rolled gold-plate. Generally 20-40 microns thick gold layer.

Gold plated (plaque) items contain the least amount of gold. It differs from rolled gold plate because of the means of depositing or bonding the gold to the core base metal. Gold plate tends to refer to a thin layer of gold (usually less than 10-20 microns thick) applied through electrical/chemical deposition.

Gold "flash" or gilt finishes are a type of very thin gold plating usually less than 5 microns thick.

So, I imagine it’ll hold up the best, short of having solid gold.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i've been thinking about doing any chains i buy going forward as gold-filled...i've only had one, it was very thin and a link broke eventually but i didn't have any issues with tarnishing and wore it in the shower etc. i also recently purchased a couple of 10k solid gold chains which were very reasonable in price compared to 14/18, i just keep watch on my pendant to make sure the 10k isn't eating away at it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold filled jewellery is actually 1/10th or 1/ 20th real “whatever carat” gold, not just a “gold wash or a plating a few micros thick like modern stuff, so it is definitely worth having or collecting.
It will wear well enough with care, but often the edges show the metal underneath. If it’s a beautiful piece (and many were well made) you can always have it replated, but the areas of wear to me are part of the charm.
And seeing as people don’t hesitate to “melt for gold value” such pieces are rare and hard to come by.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stonewell, thanks for that post, very informative, would love to see a pic of your antique chain if you don't mind sharing!

@bludiva, I like the idea of using the lower karat gold for necklaces and such, then if it falls off or breaks it's not breaking the bank quite as much. If I can get the look of gold without the price tag and have it hold up relatively well, it's a no brainer.

@Bron357, I'm with you, a little imperfection doesn't bother me, give it a little character plus the designs on some of these older gold filled pieces are very appealing.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@stonewell, thanks for that post, very informative, would love to see a pic of your antique chain if you don't mind sharing!

@bludiva, I like the idea of using the lower karat gold for necklaces and such, then if it falls off or breaks it's not breaking the bank quite as much. If I can get the look of gold without the price tag and have it hold up relatively well, it's a no brainer.

@Bron357, I'm with you, a little imperfection doesn't bother me, give it a little character plus the designs on some of these older gold filled pieces are very appealing.

Sure! I just posted it on my other thread here

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ds-and-amazing-treasures.240331/#post-4333020

When it arrives, I’ll do a proper photo shoot to share more =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse the lighting and my puffy fingers but here is a quick snap of the signet ring, you can see it's a little chewed up on the underside but I think I paid $1 for it so can't go wrong there.

IMG_6431.JPG IMG_6433.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stonewell I did see that earlier! What a pretty chain and you can do so much with it! Great find.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excuse the lighting and my puffy fingers but here is a quick snap of the signet ring, you can see it's a little chewed up on the underside but I think I paid $1 for it so can't go wrong there.

IMG_6431.JPG IMG_6433.JPG

I love this! Many signets I’ve come upon are worn down or don’t show the engraving with that level of detail. And for a dollar, I think you got a killer deal. :twisted2: The underside is relatively easy fix - or leave it as is if it isn’t rubbing or uncomfortable.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this on Ruby Lane for less than a tank of gas! I drive an SUV for reference but still. On the inside 1/30 14K gold shell, looks like it was never worn.

IMG_6469.JPG IMG_6470.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I don't think I can say much since it's a moissy but it's a Harro old European cut in rose gold. I freakin adore it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl, you been holdin' out on us!!
Lovely!! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Ahhh, maybe a little bit, I could post in the fabulous fashion forum but I don't think of moissanite as "fashion jewelry" especially the rings some of the gals have posted over there. I'll just keep it to myself until they make a moissanite forum or allow it in the SMTB forum :twisted2:

Thank you for your lovely compliments! It would be great to see some more gold filled jewelry so don't be shy!

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I always thought gold filled jewelry was junk and not even worth looking at. Then one day I was digging through a jewelry armoire at this local vintage shop and found a signet ring with my DH initial. Didn't fit his pinky but it fit mine so I've been wearing it since. It's 10K gold filled. I've also picked up some vintage bracelets lately that are 12K over sterling, tonight I found a white gold band, really pretty that is very art deco in design and stamped 1/30 14K Gold shell.

Anyone else have some gold filled jewelry and if so do you wear it often? How has it held up over the years?
Gold filled Victorian bracelets are often very pricey, if you see them cheap .. buy them !!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Can I resurrect this thread? I've been thinking about buying some gold filled jewelry for myself but not antique, there are sellers making new gold filled jewelry. One I'm considering right now is on Etsy called CastawayJewelryCo. Any opinions on the quality of new gold filled jewelry vs antique? I'd want to treat it the way I treat my solid gold jewelry, wearing 24/7, showering/swimming with it etcz knowing it will not last forever but will last several years hopefully?

Screenshot_20200613-052147.png

Also I've seen conflicting answers, can gold filled rings be resized? Is it around the same price as solid gold or more/less?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results