shape
carat
color
clarity

girls, do your male friends curse in front of ya?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
yes, they do, but that''s b/c I''m just as bad.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 3:14:38 AM
Author: kenny
Some things can only be accurately expressed with naughty words.
You mean "Flippin'' heck" and "Oh sugar!" right?

I''ll tell you a funny story. My dear friend Shirley GRHS, had a propensity for bad language. Always called a spade a spade and not a flippin'' shovel did our Shirl. Once her granddaughter arrived, Shirley decided she had better clean up her act, espcially when Chloe started school.

Now Chloe, right from an early age was a chip off the old block and one day whilst struggling with an art project, was overheard by her teacher exclaiming, "Holy Moly, Scoli Picoli!". Astounded by the vehemence eminating from such a small child, the teacher says to Chloe, "Chloe what on earth does that mean?"

Chloe responds, "Oh I don''t know, but it''s what my Nana says instead of Jesus Christ!"

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 3:12:43 AM
Author: Samantha Red
My Mother In Law is probably the worst person I know for swearing. It is particularly hilarious as she is frightfully well spoken, she sounds like the Queen Mother, but uses the most profane language. My DH used to swear a lot until I told him it was indicative of a poor vocabulary. If I am really really angry a few choice words might slip in
My MIL is the absolute epitomy of Catherine Tate''s Nan character

Yes they do. And I do. And all other females I know.... But, in certain cases, like say, DURING MY WEDDING and around other people that find it offensive, I don''t care for it. THere is a time and place for everything- cussing around little old ladies and children isn''t one of them :D

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Sure. They might curse more when I''m not around, but they don''t seem to be holding back just for me. But I tend to be "one of the guys" so I think they''re more free with me than with other girls. If one of the guys brought a new girlfriend around or something, they would be on better behavior.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
lots of cussing women on PS.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 1:06:08 AM
Author: jewelerman
It is just as impolite to use foul language in front of men as it is women.Using foul language shows lack of respect reguardless of the gender of who is within hearing range.
Jewelerman, you need to steer clear of my foul-mouthed self.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 1:06:08 AM
Author: jewelerman
It is just as impolite to use foul language in front of men as it is women.Using foul language shows lack of respect reguardless of the gender of who is within hearing range.

I disagree.
Context is everything.
If you and the person you are talking to (regardless of the gender of either of you) uses the same naughty language then it is not impolite.
Women are not weak or inferior and don't need special protection.

I am a man and if I speak with a man I will not use naughty words until I feel he speaks "French" too.
I do not go along with gender inequality but I am socially sensitive and will not offend anyone if I feel naughty words make them uncomfortable.
Both men and women deserve this courtesy and respect.

Also key is the situation.
Job interviews, in religious buildings are a couple times when I think we should all avoid these words.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
My male friends use the same language around me that they''d use around anyone else, whether it involves cursing or not.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a curser, so don''t really like to hear it..but a random f/s-bomb here and there isn''t going to offend me if it suits the context. Don''t have too many male friends anymore, but when I did....if it was just me being spoken with, very rarely heard cursing. Even at work, sometimes will hear one fly and they always look at me and apologize. I really don''t mind, I''m not of weak sensibilities by any means, but I love being treated with respect even if it''s old fashioned.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Amongst friends, we all curse like sailors and it gets worse after a few drinks but it''s all good as long as the cussing is in general and not in specific against one individual, KWIM?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Funny, as we got older the guys & the gals stopped using profanity. Perhaps it was to set an example for our kids. Now I just make up other words instead, like "numbnuts" for a-hole, etc.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Nope... nothing to do with gender
27.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
No one in our circle curses very much, but most of us have occasionally dropped one here or there, depending on the context and the conversation. Nobody apologizes to anyone else -- there''s really no need for that, it''s all among friends.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts exactly. Profanity allows you express different levels. A jerk is simply a jerk, but if you inform others that he is in fact an a$$hole they understand that this fellow is more than a nuisance.

I only use the f word in extreme situations or when it seems needed. When you drop something on your foot yelling "Fiddlesticfks" doesn't give the same satisfaction as another choice word would.

I curse, my husband curses, his family and my family and all my coworkers. None of us sound like idiots. I find it especially fun to use a curse word and $5 word in the same sentence.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I curse like a f*ing sailor. Usually worse than DH and my male friends.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
No one seems to hold back on cursing in front of me, but I kind of wish they would (how old-fashioned is that?). I try to use as little bad language as I can manage, but now and then a four-letter word sneaks out. People in my office are really big on using swear words, and while they think it makes them seem anti-establishment and cool, I think it makes them appear unprofessional. I don''t cover my ears or run away screaming, but I do internally cringe when I hear someone use the F word ten times a minute.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DancingFire & Jewlerman, I wish there were more people IRL (male & female) who think like you.

Jewlerman got it right on. Doesn''t matter if it is men or women or old or young. You should never speak in a way to offend them.

I do not use this sort of language. The only time you will hear it come out of my mouth is if I really need to quote someone.
(and when I dropped something on my foot -- broke a couple of toes -- I let out a squeeeeeeeeeel & then said "Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Get in here please. Ow.")

I''m not offended by the usual words. B was in the Navy for 4 years and talks like it.

Of course his language is mild compared to what I heard from my grandmother one day.
Picture this skinny white haired lady. Diamonds, nails all done, hair carefully set. Really classy and sweet looking.
All of the sudden she let out about 5 minutes worth of words including a bunch of creative ones I had never (and have never since) heard. I wish I could remember some of them (they really were rather creative combinations and provided some great images). I was just so shocked.
She was angry at something my grandfather had done and was talking about it to her sister.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Ummmm.... Yep. But, I have to say that I have the worst mouth out of all of us!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 9:10:07 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 10/20/2009 11:20:39 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
IMO...it would be very impolite to use profane language when ladies are present.
DF, that''s because you''re a gentleman!
16.gif

And yes, most of my male friends don''t think twice about cursing, no matter who might be present. But it really doesn''t bother me!
5.gif
IG
no surprise there since you own a horse name ....... Lucky "F"
9.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 3:26:09 PM
Author: TooPatient
... his language is mild compared to what I heard from my grandmother one day.

Picture this skinny white haired lady. Diamonds, nails all done, hair carefully set. Really classy and sweet looking.

All of the sudden she let out about 5 minutes worth of words including a bunch of creative ones I had never (and have never since) heard. I wish I could remember some of them (they really were rather creative combinations and provided some great images). I was just so shocked.

She was angry at something my grandfather had done and was talking about it to her sister.

ROTFL! Is she a Southerner? Southerners cuss better than Yankees. Really, they do. It must be the British mastery of language or something.
9.gif

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 11:18:18 AM
Author: Gailey

You mean 'Flippin' heck' and 'Oh sugar!' right?

I'll tell you a funny story. My dear friend Shirley GRHS, had a propensity for bad language. Always called a spade a spade and not a flippin' shovel did our Shirl. Once her granddaughter arrived, Shirley decided she had better clean up her act, espcially when Chloe started school.

Now Chloe, right from an early age was a chip off the old block and one day whilst struggling with an art project, was overheard by her teacher exclaiming, 'Holy Moly, Scoli Picoli!'. Astounded by the vehemence eminating from such a small child, the teacher says to Chloe, 'Chloe what on earth does that mean?'

Chloe responds, 'Oh I don't know, but it's what my Nana says instead of Jesus Christ!'
I love this!!!! Thanks for the laugh!
5.gif

Now that I think about it, my male friends don't curse in front of me. Now that we're all older, everyone's gotten used to monitoring their language due to kids, jobs etc. I guess back in our college days they did, but not too much. I curse occasionally when I'm upset or angry, but try to watch it for the most part. It makes me a little uncomfortable when people use alot of curses in everyday conversation.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, but I curse in front of them
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 9:57:52 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
No, but I curse in front of them
3.gif
rockon2.gif
thum12.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup they do.

I curse more in written speech here in PS - it works for emphasis for certain situations. But IRL I don''t tend to curse all that much because like a few others on this thread, I prefer more creative, funny words. I used to swear like a sailor, but somehow, that just mellowed with age. Probably because I realized it sounded bad.

I rarely curse in an argument. Someone told me once that profanity is the weapon of the witless, and I tend to agree. Nothing sounds dumber to me where every other word is f''this and f''that. Just go on Jerry Springer and out of my earshot already. I can''t remember the last time I told someone to f''off or f''you. I use "sh*t" mainly to demonstrate surprise, as in "Holy sh*t!"

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 3:06:56 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 10/20/2009 11:36:35 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Yup, and I join them!

ditto - I''m quite casual with the swearing, and Fi and I swear quite a bit (casually, not usually at each other!) without it being an issue.
Same with other guy friends, although I do tone it down in public and don''t do it at work.

I think its generally more excepted in Australia though - I don''t think some of our TV shows etc would last very long in the US!
True, every Australian I''ve met swears...and somehow it manages to sound civilized. Darndest thing.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 1:01:05 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 10/21/2009 3:06:56 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 10/20/2009 11:36:35 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Yup, and I join them!

ditto - I''m quite casual with the swearing, and Fi and I swear quite a bit (casually, not usually at each other!) without it being an issue.
Same with other guy friends, although I do tone it down in public and don''t do it at work.

I think its generally more excepted in Australia though - I don''t think some of our TV shows etc would last very long in the US!
True, every Australian I''ve met swears...and somehow it manages to sound civilized. Darndest thing.
Actually, I think I figured it out. This applies to the English too. It''s because the intonation rises...like a question. In the US we EXCLAIM a lot. For instance, we might say:

"DUDE! That''s F*CKED UP!"

An Australian might say,

"That''s a bit f*cked up, isn''t it?" (Or in the case of the English, innit?)

Maybe it sounds so polite because they''re always asking?
41.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Oh Tgal...you kill me.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Most don't. I quickly disregard the ones that do, I think it's awfully rude. I curse, and so does FI, but he didn't curse in front of me for years, and only after I started cursing in front of him. (terrible habit, I should stop) He doesn't curse in front of other women, children or in front of his parents.
16.gif

My friends don't really curse, and my sister is the WORST person about cursing, but she makes it sound so funny! FI and I really curse to be funny, or to punctuate a comment, or if we stub a toe, but not at other people, and not out of anger. And def no B-words or F-words!
12.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely, and I would hate it if they held back. I work in a dance studio/preschool, and to me, it helps seperate the week from the weekend and work from adult time. It''s just fun!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results