shape
carat
color
clarity

Girlfriend Threw Me a Curveball

Girlfriend walked in while I was completing my last post and I didn't get to finish. Almost got caught! I am very meticulous about small details, almost a perfectionist. I would highly doubt she would ever notice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your concerned with the quality send it back have them redo it. Or send it back keep the stone and get a different setting.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Niel. It is a large purchase and while painful to go through the hassle it sounds like it will bother you. Just get it fixed and be really happy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to say, I think it is so very small that I am not sure I would bother. But I'd like to see more pictures from the top of the ring. If you can see it from the top, then send it back. I think from the bottom it is barely detectable. I can't see it in the JA photo, either.

This is about as good of a picture I could get. Its such a minor offset that I wonder if they can make it perfectly symmetrical. If you look at the bottom set of diamonds on the halo you can see how the alignment of the diamonds are not perfectly in line.

dsc01222.jpg

dsc012221.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I probably would start over with a better quality setting if you decide to redo it. You can look at Gabriel and Company, and jewelers such as Brilliantly Engaged would make a nice custom version.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliantly engaged would be out of budget for a design like that, im almost certain.

I'd contact Pearman's, they sell Beverly k. Tell them you have a stone and are looking to buy a setting and have the diamond set for 2k, and mention that you heard of them though pricescope. Ask if they can get this Beverly k (or similar) and set your stone for your budget.

I'd wager they'll be able to help
ssr1191_c_web_background__i.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore Bev K and would fully be in favor of that idea! They give a 15-20% discount on most designer settings. Be sure to tell them you found out about them from PS, as Niel said.

In this scenario, once you decide on a setting, you should insure the diamond with Jeweler's Mutual before you send it off to Pearlman's (at least I think it would be a good idea).

I've decided to send the ring back to JA. My plan is to allow them a chance to address my concerns. I really like the current setting and I think she will love it. It's pretty much everything she wants; its simple yet elegant and for me within budget! If JA cannot correct my concerns with the ring then I'll start looking at other options for settings. I did skim through the Bev K designs and I must agree they are quite beautiful! Thanks again everyone for the input!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASTROCREEP|1429660864|3865556 said:
I've decided to send the ring back to JA. My plan is to allow them a chance to address my concerns. I really like the current setting and I think she will love it. It's pretty much everything she wants; its simple yet elegant and for me within budget! If JA cannot correct my concerns with the ring then I'll start looking at other options for settings. I did skim through the Bev K designs and I must agree they are quite beautiful! Thanks again everyone for the input!
Awesome! Ive worked with JA and they seem genuinely interested in getting ot right for you so if this is the setting for her I think it's a good idea to just have them get it right.

Keep us posted !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck and we'll look forward to seeing the new ring!

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi folks,

Let me start by saying ‘congratulations’ to Astro on his purchase and that I’m hopeful we’re able to resolve whatever issue might exist with the ring referenced in the last couple pages of this thread.

As to the ring, I don’t have any specific information about Astro’s order, other than what’s been posted above. I do believe it’s on the way back to our office though, so once it arrives I’ll get a full report from our staff as to what might be the problem and how we should best proceed. With that, however, there is a decent chance that we’re going to decline to remake the ring (should that be the ‘solution’) and just offer Astro a refund.

Here’s why.

We manufacture a pretty darn good product for a very, very reasonable price. Our selection ranges from a $180 presentation solitaire all the way up to fully handmade, pulled-wire ‘studio’ pieces that start at $5,000 (center not included). All of our rings go through a very strict quality control process, although I’ll be the first to admit we’ve got our own ‘blooper reel’ of crooked prongs, broken/missing pave, and other small mistakes that [somehow] managed to ship. Everybody has a bad day once and again, but those are by FAR the exception – not the rule.

At some point, however, we find ourselves in a situation where a customer is unhappy with a design that, in our opinion, is actually okay. Maybe there is a slight asymmetry in a bezel or the very slightest wave in a line that should be straight. Many times those issues are related to the diamond shape (cushion prongs, for example, can be very difficult to set perfectly symmetrical if/when there is a variation in the shape or thickness of the corners). Sometimes it’s a very slight amount of shrinkage in the casting process. Whatever it might be, it’s a variation. And it’s in those circumstances (of which this might be one), that we have to ask ourselves: Is this ring really ‘defective’, or is what we see just an acceptable part of the process, given the handmade nature of design?

Astro – your ring looks very pretty. I’m not the first one in this thread to say so. You also deserve to get a ring that you’re proud to present and she is proud to wear. If the problem with the bezel is *really* that hard to see though, then what are we really talking about here? Could it be an artifact of the diamond? Is it something that we can address with just a touch of the polishing wheel? Maybe, and let’s hope so. But if the ring is as beautiful and well-crafted in person as it appears in your pictures and the only ‘solution’ is a complete remake, I’m going to have a tough time throwing that ring in the melt bin and starting over. I hope you understand.

chikoo

Rough_Rock
ASTROCREEP|1429477824|3864569 said:
Girlfriend walked in while I was completing my last post and I didn't get to finish. Almost got caught! I am very meticulous about small details, almost a perfectionist. I would highly doubt she would ever notice.

Astro, that is the nature of handmade jewelry. Every piece is identified by the variation it has. This is something you would not find in mass mfg products. they will all look the very same.

Thanks for the reply James. First off I have been very pleased with the service I have been provided through JA and hopefully I have not come off as a disgruntled customer trying to belittle JA in this thread. I can not agree more that this ring is absolutely stunning. As I pointed out before my only concern is that the bezel is slightly off however it is very hard to see. I would say you have to be looking for problems to even notice and then again I'm not sure everyone that was took a close look would even notice.

I'm a first time (and hopefully last time) buyer of engagement rings and have very limited knowledge/experience with jewlerly in general. I understand that hand crafted items especially something so small can be very difficult to fabricate perfectly. I'm sure like other processes there are acceptable tolerances, but as a newbie I don't know what is and is not acceptable. Like I mentioned before I am very detailed oriented, but am not afraid to admit that I am far from an expert jeweler. That's why I came to price scope and JA because I value the opinion of reputable experts rather than a sales person in the mall.

I have yet to ship the ring and I wanted to talk to someone with JA about the repair process prior to doing so. I really hoped to propose this weekend. We are going to a wedding next weekend and will be seeing a bunch of good friend we have not seen in some time. I know she would love to show off the ring!

James, thanks again for your input. I really do appreciate the honesty. Last thing I want to hear is a vendor sugar coat the details and lead me into the wrong direction.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Astro,

I've been following along your journey and I have to say….I can totally notice the "defect" you see. I too am detail oriented and I tend to notice things that others don't, but I feel it's plain to see. Now, you have to be really looking at it, but I feel most women spend time gazing and admiring their e-rings! A casual observer may not see what we see, but then again who cares about a casual observer. You care about what your girlfriend sees and the ring should really be perfect. You have spent a lot of money, thought, and time on it. Don't short change yourself b/c you want her to have it at your friend's wedding or because JA may or may not re-make it. It's her ring forever! There other vendors that Diamondseeker and Niel have mentioned that could produce a beautiful ring. I know firsthand that rings aren't always going to be perfect down to the teeniest and tiniest detail, but if it bothers you please address it now! Also, out of excitement you may be leaning towards keeping it as is, but you may not feel so great about it later.

I see that there are 2 melee that sit lower in the row between the 6 o'clock and 7 o'clock position, which is just to the right of the bottom left prong when looking at it face on. Is there a small amount of dead space above the defect and the edge of the diamond? The 2 melee sitting lower in the row would account for the edge not being level when looking at it from behind.

All the best to you Astro!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results