shape
carat
color
clarity

Gift for the Groom

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Tigarlily1|1302314144|2891653 said:
This is the watch that he likes. I don't want to get a $60 watch because he already has several of those. I haven't heard anything actually bad about Movado only that some people don't like it and that its not considered a high end watch because its not 5k. If not a watch, the other part of my OP was what other gifts have people given to their grooms on their wedding. I only have 1k at most to spend.
images_0.jpg

I'm going to search around for you. Does he have any idea that you are planning on getting a watch or no?

Honestly, I think 1k is moooooooooore than enough and again please please don't think a 1k watch isn't high-end...because what other posters already said, if thats high end to him then thats all that matters (my 1k watches are high end for me too!)

Give me a few days to see what I can come up with (studying for finals all weekend).

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
Autumnovember said:
This is the watch that he likes. I don't want to get a $60 watch because he already has several of those. I haven't heard anything actually bad about Movado only that some people don't like it and that its not considered a high end watch because its not 5k. If not a watch, the other part of my OP was what other gifts have people given to their grooms on their wedding. I only have 1k at most to spend.
images_0.jpg

I'm going to search around for you. Does he have any idea that you are planning on getting a watch or no?

Honestly, I think 1k is moooooooooore than enough and again please please don't think a 1k watch isn't high-end...because what other posters already said, if thats high end to him then thats all that matters (my 1k watches are high end for me too!)

Give me a few days to see what I can come up with (studying for finals all weekend).

Ok thank you. No, he has absolutely no idea that I am planning to get him a watch. So I cannot ask him any questions about watches, I want it to be a total surprise. I want something that is dressy that will work for wearing to work and to formal occasions like the wedding. Not like a utility or sporting watch... he has those already. Thanks for your help!

I'm still not sure WHY a Movado is bad. Is it made poorly? Do they not last? What is it that makes another brand better than this one?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Tigarlily1|1302315916|2891679 said:
Autumnovember said:
images_0.jpg

Ok thank you. No, he has absolutely no idea that I am planning to get him a watch. So I cannot ask him any questions about watches, I want it to be a total surprise. I want something that is dressy that will work for wearing to work and to formal occasions like the wedding. Not like a utility or sporting watch... he has those already. Thanks for your help!

I'm still not sure WHY a Movado is bad. Is it made poorly? Do they not last? What is it that makes another brand better than this one?

I don't think they are bad necessarily, I just think there are better watches for the money.

Don't kill me. I was under the impression that he knew what your gift would be aka why I suggested you guys could go to a jeweler so he can show you the watches and better explain why one brand is better over the other. However, since that is clearly not the case...and he likes Movado, then maybe just get the Movado. Just make sure it comes with a warranty. I have had a lot of people that I know (my guys friends) that have had Movado's break moreso than the ones that had other watch brands--which is why I was partial to them. I can still look at other watches with a similar design of the Movado but I don't want you giving him the gift and him being disappointed because its not a Movado and then having to explain to him why you got watch X over the Movado, know what I mean?

If you wrote in your original post that he doesn't know about the gift you're getting him then I apologize to you, Sillyberry and Meresal....in which case, I agree with them.

LadyJ77

Rough_Rock
I personally think that $1K for a watch is too expensive for any groom gift. But, it really depends on how much your man likes watches. If he digs them, then he would probably love the gift.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My aunt has that watch, she says she never wears it because it's too hard to tell time.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
If you buy the watch at an authorized Movado dealer it will come with a warranty. I have owned several Movados and never had a problem with them. I think that your idea for a gift is sweet and thoughtful. The engraving also sounds perfect. If HE thinks its a "made it" watch, then for HIM it is a PERFECT gift!! Movados are nice watches. If you find a 'better buy' for your price, what good would it be if you have to explain to your SO that his idea or taste in watches was "wrong"? I dont even like to say that though because Movados ARE NOT bad watches. Are there more "luxurious" watches?? Of course!! But Movado is not "junk".

You will only marry him once (hopefully). Spend the money and get what HE admired! Plus, what a great story to tell your kids!. It sounds like you saved $ and thought it was a great idea until someone else's views (or a bad review) made you second guess yourself. You were right about having the rest of your lives to buy gifts but a wedding present means something. $1000 IS NOT TOO MUCH to spend. Its not like you are putting it on a credit card. You did it right and saved the $$$. I honestly hope you decide to get the Movado bc the thought of him opening the gift (knowing what he had said about Movado's ) makes me kind of sappy--and I am usually not such a sentimental person.

And to add, I am at the point in my life where I can easily afford a more expensive watch and am looking at watches---which is how I found this thread-- in the $5000 range for my x-mas present next year BUT I still LOVE my Movados. When I graduated college I bought my 1st Movado. It was the 1st "more expensive" watch I had ever noticed. Something about that circle that all Movados have make it recognizable. Everyone knows its a Movado. Just be careful about ebay and deals too good to be true because there are ALOT of counterfeit Movados out there (because they are so recognizable). Movado is a commonly illegally copied watch (like a fake Rolex).

Your fiance is lucky to have such a thoughtful girl in his life. Lots of luck to you in your upcoming marriage!!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should get the Movado. I stongly disagree with Autum. This is not about a better watch, this is about what he wants. It's like if a told my DH that I would love a FENDI purse for X-mas, then he goes to the purse forum and they tell him that FENDI is not a good brand and he should buy me a GUCCI, because there are better made, bla bla bla. So, X-mas arrive and I get my present and it's a Gucci bag. I would be very upset that he did not listen to my wishes and bought me something different b/c someone else said it is a better purse. This is not about what is better, it is about what he likes. If he likes movado watches, buy him a movado.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results