shape
carat
color
clarity

Gift for the Groom

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone! I'm wondering if you can help me out with this decision. I want to get a gift for my Groom on our wedding day. For months and months (since we got engaged) I have been planning to buy him a Movado watch. He works in a bank and one time mentioned that a Movado watch is what you get when you make it because it makes you look like you are somebody or something because you have a very expensive watch. They are like $800 - $1000. So I have saved up and I now have the money. I had planned to buy the watch and have it engraved something like "For All Time" or "Until the End of Time" and our wedding date or something like that.

But, now I have cold feet. I'm worried that $1000 is just waay too much to pay for a watch. On one hand, he surely spent much more than that on my engagement ring, but on the other hand we are paying for the wedding and beginning out new lives together and it seems like having that $1000 or even $500 would help us start off right. Plus, I have no idea if Movado watches are still popular. Is it something that he will keep forever. Is there another brand that has just as much recognition with a smaller price tag?

I still would love to get him a watch so that I can do my engraving thing and so that he will have some more nice jewelry to wear at the wedding but I'm just not sure. Could you please tell me if you have ever bought any "luxury" watches for your SO or if you know what they would like if you did? Also, do you think thats too much for a Groom's gift? Are you giving a gift? And if so, what are you planning to give? Thanks for your help!!

Allison

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Tigarlily1|1302132778|2889644 said:
Hey Everyone! I'm wondering if you can help me out with this decision. I want to get a gift for my Groom on our wedding day. For months and months (since we got engaged) I have been planning to buy him a Movado watch. He works in a bank and one time mentioned that a Movado watch is what you get when you make it because it makes you look like you are somebody or something because you have a very expensive watch. They are like $800 - $1000. So I have saved up and I now have the money. I had planned to buy the watch and have it engraved something like "For All Time" or "Until the End of Time" and our wedding date or something like that.

But, now I have cold feet. I'm worried that $1000 is just waay too much to pay for a watch. On one hand, he surely spent much more than that on my engagement ring, but on the other hand we are paying for the wedding and beginning out new lives together and it seems like having that $1000 or even $500 would help us start off right. Plus, I have no idea if Movado watches are still popular. Is it something that he will keep forever. Is there another brand that has just as much recognition with a smaller price tag?

I still would love to get him a watch so that I can do my engraving thing and so that he will have some more nice jewelry to wear at the wedding but I'm just not sure. Could you please tell me if you have ever bought any "luxury" watches for your SO or if you know what they would like if you did? Also, do you think thats too much for a Groom's gift? Are you giving a gift? And if so, what are you planning to give? Thanks for your help!!

Allison

Ok, I'm going to be completely honest here.

For some people, 1K for a watch is too much. For others, it is pocket change. It is a matter of perspective. I have 3 watches that are each around 1500, and I can say that I would never spend more on a watch than that. They all work wonderfully and I have never had any issues and they have been worth my money. There are lots of others out there who have perfectly functioning and nice looking watches for A LOT less. There are people out there who will spend 40-100K or more on a watch because that is their hobby. Again, preference.

I don't think it is too much for a gift but that is all subjective for each couple.

If I could go with one suggestion: don't go with Movado. There are better brands for 1K in my opinion.

We aren't giving gifts---God knows he has done more than enough for me. I'm completing my second degree so right now, there is no extra money for that. I'll gift him later =]

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
I agree wtih the PP. Spending 1K on a watch could be considered peanuts or big bucks depending on who is doing the spending. If you really want to get a gift, spend what you are comfortable with. If you think that $1000 is way too much for a watch, then for *you* likely it is too much to spend.

As for Movado...meh. I've never heard that a Movado symbolizes that you've made it in the world. I don't even agree with such a sterotype in general but I think that Movados are just meh.

My FH and I are not exchanging wedding gifts. We don't really see the point. We just buy ourselves or each other stuff whenever we want it. And we'd much rather put that money towards our home or our honeymoon to Borneo :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
sirbenson|1302137786|2889708 said:
Movados are just meh.

This.

I'm hoping nobody gets offended reading any of this as it could become a touchy subject.

Making it is also really subjective. Someone might consider a Movado as someone who has made it, another person would consider a 20,000$ Rolex as making it, another a 40,000$ watch as making it. A Kia as making it, a Mercedes, etc. You see where I'm going with this.

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
Yeah I understand that this is a really subjective question. I have the money for this and am willing to spend it but if Movado is just meh or there are other watches out there that are better for $1000 bucks what are they. I can spend the money but I don't want to just waste it.

I read a website that said in their opinion Movado was overpriced for what you get... so I got nervous.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Tigarlily1|1302142195|2889792 said:
Yeah I understand that this is a really subjective question. I have the money for this and am willing to spend it but if Movado is just meh or there are other watches out there that are better for $1000 bucks what are they. I can spend the money but I don't want to just waste it.

I read a website that said in their opinion Movado was overpriced for what you get... so I got nervous.

Could you show me a pic of the watch he wants or something similar to it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMO...there are no quartz watch worth $1000.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok, if he really likes Movado...then I think it would be a nice gift. Check out World of Watches online, they have some great deals.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My fiance really wanted a nice watch. He has a rolex but wanted something not quite so nice that he could wear every day. He found the exact watch he wanted on ebay. It's an Invicta and it's really, really nice. I ended up buying it as a surprise and gave it to him the day after I got my ring :)

When we received it, the price tag was still on it (It was over $2k) and I spent WAY less than that. It's a model that's a few years old, but he loves it. Not sure if you're comfortable with ebay, but it's an option.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
What you have to remember is that this is a gift for him and should reflect what he likes, what he wants, etc. You not liking it or someone else not liking it doesn't change the fact that he made the comment about how favorably he feels about Movado.

I purchased a diamond watch for my husband that cost approximately $600. He bought me a Cartier trinity ring (mini size) for around the same. We could've done more but we're planning to buy a house. If it's not going to break you, do it. You only get to give this gift to him once.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
turboflgrl|1302201042|2890335 said:
What you have to remember is that this is a gift for him and should reflect what he likes, what he wants, etc. You not liking it or someone else not liking it doesn't change the fact that he made the comment about how favorably he feels about Movado.I purchased a diamond watch for my husband that cost approximately $600. He bought me a Cartier trinity ring (mini size) for around the same. We could've done more but we're planning to buy a house. If it's not going to break you, do it. You only get to give this gift to him once.

True.

How long ago did he make the comment?
Is there any way you can get a feel for if that is THE watch for him or if he only made the comment meaning a really nice watch? (or if he's changed his feelings about it?)

If you search the Hangout area, there is a thread from the last few months where DF posted pictures of his collection. They are absolutely stunning! Maybe you could find that thread and use that as a way to get some info out of your FI?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1302150346|2889927 said:

DF!

When I saw the title, I was going to suggest she head over to Hangout and ask you for some help here!

Do you have any watches you can suggest as being high quality and nice in the $800-1000 range?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Tigar, this is the example I was referring to. DF is really into watches and has some nice one himself which are definitely over 1000$. Again, subjective. You have to know who you're asking, if you know what I mean. My FI is into watches too and would never buy a 1000$ watch but instead is like DF and likes the high-high-high end.

To me, I couldn't imagine spending more than that on the watch but thats just ME. Its some peoples hobby/collection thing they have goin on.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
turboflgrl|1302201042|2890335 said:
What you have to remember is that this is a gift for him and should reflect what he likes, what he wants, etc. You not liking it or someone else not liking it doesn't change the fact that he made the comment about how favorably he feels about Movado.

I purchased a diamond watch for my husband that cost approximately $600. He bought me a Cartier trinity ring (mini size) for around the same. We could've done more but we're planning to buy a house. If it's not going to break you, do it. You only get to give this gift to him once.

I'm going to kindly disagree.

My next question to OP is: how educated is he about watches?

IF he walked into a watch store with a jeweler that wasn't out to get his money but really did want to educate him, I'm willing to bet he would walk out of there with a completely different watch in mind.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Autumn - I'm just assuming that the OP's FI has done his research. I'm not discrediting him as uneducated on the subject. But hey, I'd rather make my hubby happy than get him something else because someone else told me it was better. Just my opinion.

And PS - I reread and it sounded like I was being aggressive but I truly didn't mean to. I hate the Internet sometimes..lol

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone who has replied! Honestly, I don't think that my DF is very educated about watches at all... golf clubs he knows, computers - yes, watches- no. I think that he just likes the look of a Movado and up to this point in our lives a Movado looks better and costs a whole lot more than a $65 fossil watch. I think I am just going to go with the Movado because I really don't know what other watches in this price range or less that would pop out to him and "wow" him. A Movado he will recognize.

I have the whole rest of my life to buy gifts for this man. So if he gets into watches and wants to trade up and up and up we will do that. But for now... I think the Movado will look great on him on the wedding day.

Mostly, I want to thank you all for putting it in perspective. It's also humbling to think that a big purchase for me is pocket change for someone else. I mean rationally I know that... but in my life I don't see it very often.

Thanks!

I'm certainly no watch expert, but have you looked at Tissot? They make very nice watches in your price range.

I would also be careful about buying an expensive watch off of ebay or some other site. It voids the warranty and the watch likely can't be serviced by the company if anything every happens to it.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
turboflgrl|1302204312|2890385 said:
Autumn - I'm just assuming that the OP's FI has done his research. I'm not discrediting him as uneducated on the subject. But hey, I'd rather make my hubby happy than get him something else because someone else told me it was better. Just my opinion.

And PS - I reread and it sounded like I was being aggressive but I truly didn't mean to. I hate the Internet sometimes..lol

I didn't think you sounded aggressive :)

I also wasn't assuming that you thought he was uneducated. Its kind of like when you walk into a dealership...if you haven't done your research on something, you're not going to know which care is best to get, know what I mean? :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tigarlily1|1302204998|2890395 said:
Thank you to everyone who has replied! Honestly, I don't think that my DF is very educated about watches at all... golf clubs he knows, computers - yes, watches- no. I think that he just likes the look of a Movado and up to this point in our lives a Movado looks better and costs a whole lot more than a $65 fossil watch. I think I am just going to go with the Movado because I really don't know what other watches in this price range or less that would pop out to him and "wow" him. A Movado he will recognize.

I have the whole rest of my life to buy gifts for this man. So if he gets into watches and wants to trade up and up and up we will do that. But for now... I think the Movado will look great on him on the wedding day.

Mostly, I want to thank you all for putting it in perspective. It's also humbling to think that a big purchase for me is pocket change for someone else. I mean rationally I know that... but in my life I don't see it very often.

Thanks!
if you have decided on a Movado then check your local Costco they may carry the model he likes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1302202203|2890354 said:

DF!

When I saw the title, I was going to suggest she head over to Hangout and ask you for some help here!

Do you have any watches you can suggest as being high quality and nice in the $800-1000 range?
sorry,i have no suggestion for $1000,cuz a high end watch starts at about $5k.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I got my husband a $2k TAG, for about $1600. I know they have some less expensive models too.

He has never been given a nice watch, and treasures the one I gave him. It may not be a Rolex, but it is the best I was willing to pay for at this time. My husband loves when he wears it.
A Movado may not mean that you have made it in the world to everyone, but it will make your husband feel like "he" has made it, and that is all that matters.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
meresal|1302226543|2890730 said:
I got my husband a $2k TAG, for about $1600. I know they have some less expensive models too.

He has never been given a nice watch, and treasures the one I gave him. It may not be a Rolex, but it is the best I was willing to pay for at this time. My husband loves when he wears it.
A Movado may not mean that you have made it in the world to everyone, but it will make your husband feel like "he" has made it, and that is all that matters.
I agree with this 100%. Tigerlily, I couldn't tell a high-end watch if it jumped up and bit me in the butt, but if my FI told me he wanted a certain watch, and I could afford it, hells yeah I would buy it for him.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Sillyberry--this question is for you as well....

If someone asked you if they should buy a crappy diamond, would you buy it for them anyway just because it made them happy? Or would you try to educate the person about diamonds in general so that they could make a better purchase?

Considering 1k is NOT pocket change for most people, why wouldn't you want to get a watch that is not only going to make him super happy but is also going to last?

Even though for DF, 1k watch isn't what he considers high-end...a lot of people do and 1k watches DO last.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Well, DF said that there wasn't anything worth buying at $1000...and that's pretty much what I was responding to.

I don't think it's a matter of buying a crappy diamond. It sounds more like someone wanting to buy a small diamond and being told it isn't worth it because it isn't bigger (I almost posted that in my original reply, actually). I haven't really seen any suggestions on this thread for better options at her price range. If I had, perhaps my answer would have been different.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1302236526|2890864 said:
Well, DF said that there wasn't anything worth buying at $1000...and that's pretty much what I was responding to.
$1000 is a tough range for picking a gent's watch,not enough for a high end and too expensive for a low end.

here's my $80 Invicta.

DSCN3071.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1302231569|2890806 said:

Even though for DF, 1k watch isn't what he considers high-end...a lot of people do and 1k watches DO last.
so does my $80 Invicta pictured above... ;))

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1302236526|2890864 said:

I don't think it's a matter of buying a crappy diamond. It sounds more like someone wanting to buy a small diamond and being told it isn't worth it because it isn't bigger (I almost posted that in my original reply, actually). I haven't really seen any suggestions on this thread for better options at her price range. If I had, perhaps my answer would have been different.

I disagree. There ARE good 1k watches. There are not-so good 1k watches. There are beautiful small diamonds and there are crap small diamonds.

There ARE better options.

I asked her to please post a picture of what the Movado looks like that he likes so that I *could* be of more help in showing her the better options yet staying within the scope of what he likes.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1302238075|2890881 said:
Autumnovember|1302231569|2890806 said:

so does my $80 Invicta pictured above... ;))

You're proving my own point.

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
This is the watch that he likes. I don't want to get a $60 watch because he already has several of those. I haven't heard anything actually bad about Movado only that some people don't like it and that its not considered a high end watch because its not 5k. If not a watch, the other part of my OP was what other gifts have people given to their grooms on their wedding. I only have 1k at most to spend.
images_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results