shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Just wanna say I love your gals' wedding budgets...makes me feel that it is all very doable!!!! That's all I have to contribute at this moment! ::)

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1357176156|3345924 said:
Just wanna say I love your gals' wedding budgets...makes me feel that it is all very doable!!!! That's all I have to contribute at this moment! ::)
:))

audball

Ideal_Rock
We have an appointment to see our favorite (on paper) venue! We'll be going in a few weeks time when I just happened to have a day off work. We're so excited!! I really hope we love this place.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
That is awesome! I hope you love it in person and they give you a great deal! :appl:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

You can definitely do it! Our total wedding costs will prob come in at around $6k or so, not including wedding bands or honeymoon.

We got our photog for $1200, which is way cheaper than he usually charges because I emailed him and told him what I was comfortable spending and asked what he could offer me for that price. It worked!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1357240729|3346501 said:
We have an appointment to see our favorite (on paper) venue! We'll be going in a few weeks time when I just happened to have a day off work. We're so excited!! I really hope we love this place.

Dust!! Hope it works out for you!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1357244830|3346574 said:

You can definitely do it! Our total wedding costs will prob come in at around $6k or so, not including wedding bands or honeymoon.

We got our photog for $1200, which is way cheaper than he usually charges because I emailed him and told him what I was comfortable spending and asked what he could offer me for that price. It worked!

That's a great strategy. I'll have to keep that in mind! Did you use the same photog for your engagement photos?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1357253051|3346704 said:

That's a great strategy. I'll have to keep that in mind! Did you use the same photog for your engagement photos?

ALWAYS ask for a discount! It never hurts and they will probably budge, even if just a small amount. As for me, I did my engagement and wedding pictures with the same photographer.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

Nope. Originally we weren't even going to do engagement photos (it was a cost that I couldn't justify to myself), but then my SIL's sister offered to shoot them for us as a gift (she's an amateur photographer in her spare time) so we took her up on that offer. I'm glad we did because I love how they turned out, but I probably still would have been fine if we didn't do engagement photos at all.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to a great etsy find by Ms. audball, today I ordered part of my guestbook! I had been looking for an alternative to the traditional guestbook because that just doesn't fit "us" and our wedding, but I hadn't come up with anything yet. Then aud linked to this cool idea she found for HER guestbook, and from there I found mine!

It's one of the those tree sketches where your guests leave their fingerprint as the leaves, and then sign their name. This fits great because a whole lot of my decor is going to involve branches, as do our invitations and cake! I was thinking that some of our guests (parents, close family) might be a little sad if they couldn't impart some words of wisdom or support to us in a traditional manner, so next to the fingerprint tree I'm going to lay out some note cards and envelopes in pretty paper, with a big glass jar for people to drop the notes into. This way, those who want to write something to us have that option, and everyone can participate with the tree!

I also like this idea because we're more inclined to frame a piece of "art" like this and hang it in our home to enjoy on a daily basis than we would be to just have a guestbook sitting out. Also, with the note cards, I can incorporate those into a wedding album or scrapbook.

I love it when things come together like this! :appl:

Here's the link to the drawing I ordered. http://www.etsy.com/listing/111010886/the-original-hand-drawn-guest-book?ref=usr_faveitems

I plan on finding gold and dusty rose ink pads for the leaves!

audball

Ideal_Rock
SO HAPPY I helped!! Squee! :appl:

I love it. Completely LOVE it. Can't wait to see it!!!! :)) :)) :)) :))

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1357304912|3347034 said:

ALWAYS ask for a discount! It never hurts and they will probably budge, even if just a small amount. As for me, I did my engagement and wedding pictures with the same photographer.

This seriously is a great idea-- you'd be surprised at how well it tends to work!

We asked friends on facebook if they knew any semi/pro photographers that weren't too expensive in the area, and we got a few hits. One of them was a big favorite of ours, but didn't have prices posted on her website, so my fiance emailed her to ask about it, and she was waaaay out of budget but she was really great about negotiating down a lot for us.

When we finally met her in person (in December) she said that she always included an engagement or pre-wedding shoot (which shocked me, because she was already getting way less than half her normal rate, but maybe she liked us? Or she just wants the opportunity to see how we photograph before the wedding?), so we're doing an engagement shoot in a week which I wasn't planning on doing at all, due to the cost. Hopefully we'll have some good photographs to display at the wedding now (we don't have any pro photos, or any good photos of all with both of us). :p
Of course, now I'm trying to figure out what to wear to the engagement shoot (it's cold, and we're shooting outdoors, blech), so I'm looking for clothing ideas on here. I don't want to buy anything new, of course.

For reference, she normally STARTS at $2100, and is doing it for $900 (only one photographer, for instance, and normally it's two, etc).

Thanks for the replies, guys (especially audball-- man, do I feel where you are. I've been there too). I'm feeling better about it/ the wedding/ the costs today (I was feeling pretty low that day-- much lower than normal).

55 days and counting. Wow.

I'm sure everyone here has signed up already for theknot.com, but they do have a budget planner that I find helpful (for actual costs).

What else for budget tips? I didn't know ANYONE that could make stuff cheaper, seriously. For the caterer, I filled out a listing on thumbtack.com and ended up finding a really nice local place that would do it for $11 a person (lets ignore the 11% tax for now). For DJs (if you need one for the reception), I filled out a thing on GigMasters.com and got several quotes within a day, one of which was $200 (which I don't think is too bad-- the venue I don't think has a good sound system for that, so I decided it was worth it to not have to worry about it).

Do a lot of searches for cheap wedding venues, and ask people you know if they have any ideas/ suggestions. The place we got doesn't have a website (seriously!) or even an email address, but the price was great, it looks nice, and we could fit a ton of people! I found out about it on a blog for someone's budget wedding in our area. :p The venue also lets us do our own alcohol, so that'll save a lot, and we're going to do wine, beer, and one "signature" drink to keep costs down (+ soda etc). Still need to figure out the signature drink though, argh!

If you have any friends that are already married, see if they'll let you borrow some of their stuff-- I'm borrowing a very nice veil and a very nice crinoline from a good friend, which saves quite a bit (much nicer items than I would have purchased for myself). I did some searching online and got my shoes for $25 (Borns, too)! A lot of tux rental places will give you a deal on the groom's attire (my fiance's tux will be free, we had a coupon we got mailed thanks to the Knot-- that saves about $200).

A lot of the things that helped us keep costs lower is our parents, though (just to be honest). Fiance's mom volunteered to cover some particular expenses (invitations and postage, table centerpieces, the shower, rehearsal dinner, wedding favors, flowers, and the officiant. I'm still trying to keep the costs low for her, though). Like I mentioned, my parents said they would help with costs and gave us a flat amount (though I would have eloped or done a very, very, very small wedding otherwise, perhaps at a courthouse).

I am happy to see some of the new brides making progress, I hope it all goes well and smoother than you hoped! :wavey:

audball

Ideal_Rock
So soon chloe! Yeah!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
25 days left on the countdown, and I'm not really stressing about anything. But I feel like I'm *supposed* to be? Lol, I dunno. That does not mean that everything is figured out and/or decided, because it absolutely isn't. I just can't bring myself to care beyond general indifference. Is something wrong with me?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
star sparkle|1357662889|3350305 said:
25 days left on the countdown, and I'm not really stressing about anything. But I feel like I'm *supposed* to be? Lol, I dunno. That does not mean that everything is figured out and/or decided, because it absolutely isn't. I just can't bring myself to care beyond general indifference. Is something wrong with me?

Nope! This was me the closer we got to the wedding. Three days before the wedding we were still deciding on songs to have the wedding party walk in to (the tent, not down the aisle) and what to cut the cake too (this NEVER crossed my mind lol), so I just delegated this to the dj (one of the groomsmen). The close you get, the less you're going to be worried about the little stuff!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1357665699|3350322 said:

Nope! This was me the closer we got to the wedding. Three days before the wedding we were still deciding on songs to have the wedding party walk in to (the tent, not down the aisle) and what to cut the cake too (this NEVER crossed my mind lol), so I just delegated this to the dj (one of the groomsmen). The close you get, the less you're going to be worried about the little stuff!

Yeah, I feel like since I've got a dress (or at least, I WILL after my final fitting on Saturday!), a venue, an officiant, a photographer, wedding bands, and a menu, nothing else REALLY matters beyond that. Sure, I'm excited about the harpist and decor and guestbook, but if my song list isn't completely ready or the decor doesn't come out as I envision or my guestbook tree thing doesn't arrive in time, who really cares? I'm still getting married that day, no matter what else happens!

OK, I lied..we still have to go get our marriage license, otherwise we WON'T be getting married. LOL! But that's scheduled for later this week, so I'm not stressed about that either.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that's crazy, I think that's healthy! Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all great to have all these little details, but in the end they are so unimportant.

I have been a bridesmaid 5 times and have been to countless weddings. When beginning my mental "what's important to us" list for our own idea of a wedding, I tried to really think back and remember specific things from weddings I've attended. You know what I remember for any wedding that has been more than a year ago? Not much. I remember the venue, I remember vague details about how the bride/groom looked, and not much else. I couldn't remember the food served for most weddings. I couldn't remember what kind of centerpieces or flowers people had. I have vague recollections of "wedding colors" (but it probably helps that 3 out of the 5 weddings I was IN used red/white...).

All in all - get that marriage license and go get married. That's the most important part.

audball

Ideal_Rock
How's everyone doing?! Star - your day is approaching quickly! Squee!

Our venue appointment is about a week! We're getting excited to see it in person.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait to hear how your venue visit goes!

It's been a busy couple of day for me - moved this weekend, had my final dress fitting, and today we got our marriage license! :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1358204893|3355558 said:
Can't wait to hear how your venue visit goes!

It's been a busy couple of day for me - moved this weekend, had my final dress fitting, and today we got our marriage license! :appl:
I'm so nervous and excited about it! I hope it's as lovely and charming in person as it is in photos.

You had a busy weekend! Yay for getting everything together! So...what's left on your to-do list this last few weeks!?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1358205325|3355564 said:
I'm so nervous and excited about it! I hope it's as lovely and charming in person as it is in photos.

I hope so too!

You had a busy weekend! Yay for getting everything together! So...what's left on your to-do list this last few weeks!?

Hmm, that's a good question, lol. I put my mom in charge of creating welcome bags for our OOT guests (we only need 5 bags, so not a big deal), so that was a huge weight off my shoulders. We also just figured out what we're going to do the night before the wedding, which had been something we'd been struggling with for a long time until my mom came up with a great idea - a beach bonfire! We're super excited about that, and it should be pretty easy to pull off logistically.

I have various odds and ends I still need to pick up at Michael's/Target/JaAnn/wherever, but nothing major. I'm still waiting for my veil to arrive, and our favors should be here soon. My friend is coming down next weekend to help me figure out the whole clip-in hair extension thing, so that'll be another checked off.

Umm...I really think that's it? Oh, I need to put together my song choices for the harpist, but that's easy because it's already figured out and I just need to type it up and email it to her.

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1358265413|3356007 said:
Hmm, that's a good question, lol. I put my mom in charge of creating welcome bags for our OOT guests (we only need 5 bags, so not a big deal), so that was a huge weight off my shoulders. We also just figured out what we're going to do the night before the wedding, which had been something we'd been struggling with for a long time until my mom came up with a great idea - a beach bonfire! We're super excited about that, and it should be pretty easy to pull off logistically.

I have various odds and ends I still need to pick up at Michael's/Target/JaAnn/wherever, but nothing major. I'm still waiting for my veil to arrive, and our favors should be here soon. My friend is coming down next weekend to help me figure out the whole clip-in hair extension thing, so that'll be another checked off.

Umm...I really think that's it? Oh, I need to put together my song choices for the harpist, but that's easy because it's already figured out and I just need to type it up and email it to her.
That doesn't sound bad at all! 18 days to go!!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
My guestbook tree shipped today, woot!! I found a gold ink pad locally, but still haven't found a satisfactory pink. Ooof!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I can't wait to see it!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, so excited!!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
yay!! I can't wait to see the bare tree :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Star! You are getting married in ONE WEEK! SQUEE!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :errrr: :errrr: :naughty: :errrr: :appl: :appl: :appl: :naughty:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Star Sparkle, LOVE the fingerprint tree idea! I'd try to remember to put a box of babywipes or something near it so people can wipe the ink off their fingers post-fingerprinting.

I think for our guestbook we're going to try to get some polaroid cameras and film (lots of film) and then people will have their picture taken and slapped in the guestbook and they can write something underneath (and they can get an extra pic to take home as well). I kind of wanted a guestbook since they're traditional but at the same time knew I would NEVER look at it, but my MOH suggested this.

I feel the same way and have also been wondering if something is wrong! The way I see it, we have a venue, caterer, bar service, an officiant (not settled yet but since I work in politics and know a lot of judges that part is easy - I've already run it by a few people and just have to choose who I want), I have a dress (accessories for the dress has been the part I'm most excited about because, like, stuff I care about like jewelry, you know?), we ordered bridesmaid dresses... if worst comes to worst and we get NOTHING ELSE DONE, we can hook up an ipod to the soundsystem and still have a rockin' party at which everyone will be adequately fed.

StacylikesSparkles|1357665699|3350322 said:
Three days before the wedding we were still deciding on songs to have the wedding party walk in to (the tent, not down the aisle) and what to cut the cake too (this NEVER crossed my mind lol)

SONG TO CUT THE CAKE TO!?!?!? THAT IS A THING!?!?!??!???!????? OMGGGGGG TO THE ITUNES!

My fiance always complains that rather than settling what he thinks are the "big details," I focus on nitpicky things. I love picking out my accessories, choosing the music (we went to a friend's wedding where they chose every single song that played during the wedding (they had a list of several hundred acceptable ones that they gave the dj, plus some number of must-plays), and it was the BEST EVER because it was so personal to them, and I plan on trying to do the same if I can find a DJ who will let me), and choosing gifts for the wedding party and everyone else who has helped out (I loooooooooove picking gifts! My bridespeople are just expecting pendants/cufflinks and maybe an "emergency kit" but they are going to be drowned in stuff because I am stress-shopping for them).

audball

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like things are coming together, distracts! I can't wait to see pictures of your big day!

We have our first venue visit tomorrow and we are SO EXCITED!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1358636953|3359939 said:
Star! You are getting married in ONE WEEK! SQUEE!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :errrr: :errrr: :naughty: :errrr: :appl: :appl: :appl: :naughty:

Haha, almost a week! It was two weeks from yesterday. :naughty:

Can't believe it's so soon! Tomorrow's endeavor will be to try and find clip-in hair extensions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results