carat
color
clarity

Gender neutral baby nurseries?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 8:39:40 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
My kids (a boy and girl) share a room right now, and it''s in a Safari theme with neutral greens, tans, and brown. I know there are a ton of gender-neutral themes and colors out there. I just did a search to find my kids'' theme...it might be a little outdated so I didn''t find their bedding, but a ton of others popped up when I was searching.
I found a picture of a close match to what my kids used to have. They now have a bunk bed with similar decor and colors.

nursery.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
We didn't decorate at all until after he was here, and then some. We knew that the nursery decoration was more for us than for him at first and there was a strong possibility that we would move, and so we decided it wasn't worth it to go through the trouble and expense.

We've since moved. His space right now is very simple and not terribly gendered. Neutral color on the walls (meaning a kind of taupe color), white crib, white sheets, colorful quilt (red/green/blue/yellow), colorful changing table. We have robot artwork on the walls above the crib, from this Etsy shop. The artwork's the main "boy" thing that he has.

I've seen a fair number of gender-neutral nurseries and shared sibling rooms on Ohdeedoh, if you want additional inspiration:
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/home-tours

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I love all the nursery pics you girls found! So cute!!

DH thinks we should just do a Winnie the Pooh theme, like this one from BRU, since it's easy and cutesy. I'm not sure I want an overload of Winnie the Pooh stuff everywhere though, since I'd get sick of looking at it. Plus it seems so babyish. I mean, I KNOW it's a baby's room and all, but...I don't know, wouldn't a toddler or little kid outgrow it fast? What do you think?

BRUPoohbearneutral.jpg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila, what if you do the winnie art but keep your bedding and other more "permanent" decor to basic colors? That way, you can just change out the artwork if you get sick of the theme. There are a few websites out there with some really nice solid colored baby bedding. This one was my favorites (Solid Baby Bedding). We were *this close* to ordering solid bedding until I fell in love with the dots.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am personally not a fan of general kiddie theme stuff... I tried to keep the room not too ''baby'' so that he could grow into it and we could change small things without having to change the whole look or get all new stuff for the room as he grew too.

I like the artwork, but agree to maybe get a more solid or something more generic for the bedding.

BRU has a lot of cute themes if you wanted to go that route, and not all of them are boy or girl specific. I remember liking a monkey one they had in brown and green that could be girl or boy.

Flickr has a lot of really cute nursery images if you search for cute nursery tags... I loved getting some inspiration from there!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora -- I LOVE the set you''re getting for Daisy! It''s so adorable!

I''m also not a huge fan of really cutesy things, so I imagine that if we do ever have kids, we''ll go with something that can the baby can grow into, if that makes sense. We''ll probably do something gender-neutral too.

My two favorite colors, like Mara, are green and blue (and then off-white or white mixed in). I also love the combination of orange, blue, and white. I love crisp looks, and it''s fun to look through blogs and decorating sites and dream.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of this? NoJo Jungle Babies from BRU:

DH thinks this is too boyish though, but I think it could work for both.

NoJo Jungle Babies.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 8:25:28 PM
Author: Laila619
What do you think of this? NoJo Jungle Babies from BRU:

DH thinks this is too boyish though, but I think it could work for both.
I think it''s super cute because I like those colors! Here''s another gender neutral theme "Frogs/pond" and style that my friend had for her boy/girl twins. THe colors are a little softer, maybe more what your dh may consider appropriate for boys and girls.

nursery 2.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jayson's mom, I LOVE the frog pond one, and also the jungle one you posted on the first page. Where did you find them?? Thanks!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Laila, they are both from Bergstroms.com. I don''t know where you live, but there are 2 in So Cal where I''m from. Hope it''s nationwide, or that you can order online.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I found it was easier to pull a loose 'theme' together without a bedding set. After going through about a million different sets, I decided to buy some pale green crib sheets from Baby Gap, a pale blue breathable bumper, and I was free to do whatever on the walls without being limited to art/decor that matched the bedding.

One of my favorite neutral bedding sets that would be easy to decorate around was the Skip Hop- Mod Dot that puppmom chose. If we had gone with a set, it would have been that one.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''m probably and exception: I don''t like themed nurseries. We left our daughter''s room the warm grey colour it was painted by the previous owner. Got plain white sheets for the white crib, and hung a couple pieces of art on the wall. She''s 2.5 months now and has only spent time in there to be changed. I''d like to get one big painting to put in there at some point.

Burk

Ideal_Rock

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 9:57:09 PM
Author: E B
I found it was easier to pull a loose ''theme'' together without a bedding set. After going through about a million different sets, I decided to buy some pale green crib sheets from Baby Gap, a pale blue breathable bumper, and I was free to do whatever on the walls without being limited to art/decor that matched the bedding.

One of my favorite neutral bedding sets that would be easy to decorate around was the Skip Hop- Mod Dot that puppmom chose. If we had gone with a set, it would have been that one.

EB, just have to say that yours is one of my favorites. I LOVE the fabric canvasses!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 3:28:25 AM
Author: drk
I''m probably and exception: I don''t like themed nurseries. We left our daughter''s room the warm grey colour it was painted by the previous owner. Got plain white sheets for the white crib, and hung a couple pieces of art on the wall. She''s 2.5 months now and has only spent time in there to be changed. I''d like to get one big painting to put in there at some point.

I think i''m on this train as well as I start to look at ideas. The soup to nuts theme doesn''t do it for me. I''d rather go for a "look".

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 4:36:29 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
Date: 5/26/2010 9:57:09 PM

Author: E B

I found it was easier to pull a loose ''theme'' together without a bedding set. After going through about a million different sets, I decided to buy some pale green crib sheets from Baby Gap, a pale blue breathable bumper, and I was free to do whatever on the walls without being limited to art/decor that matched the bedding.

EB, just have to say that yours is one of my favorites. I LOVE the fabric canvasses!

Aww- thank you so much!
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
This Bunny Meadow pattern from BRU is my favorite. I really wanted to redo my nursery in this theme, but since I already had the nursery done up from my first boy, I couldn''t justify the cost of redecorating for another boy.

I love this brown & sage theme, though - so soothing!

I can''t get the picture to upload, so here''s a link:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3341350

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I LOVE that bunny bedding! How cute!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Did you guys get/are you getting bumpers for the crib? I think they are so cute, but keep reading bad things about them...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got an adorable bumper from PBK which I had to remove when J was 3 months because he kept sleeping up against them.

So we got the hideous breathable bumpers ..and now he can stuff his little face against the slats all he wants. But funny now that there''s no real padding there he doesn''t like it hahaa.

Anyway once we deswaddle him for nights and he''s doing well with it, and I feel like he''s out of the super dangerous SIDS zone, I will prob put the PBK bumper back.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
We found out that we are having a little girl. But, when getting the nursery ready, since we were told that there is a chance that *she* could be a *he*, I made some fairly neutral choices both in terms of gender and age. Meaning that hopefully, the room will be able to grow with the kid beyond just his/her baby stages.

Not so sure what we''d do about all the pink dresses people have gifted us
3.gif

also, laine - the bedding that I picked did come with a bumper, but I''ve attached it to the crib as a bed skirt . . .

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2010 1:13:21 PM
Author: Lanie
Did you guys get/are you getting bumpers for the crib? I think they are so cute, but keep reading bad things about them...
I''m not getting a bumper. I''ve read they increase the risk of SIDS.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 9:09:26 AM
Author: Laila619

I''m not getting a bumper. I''ve read they increase the risk of SIDS.
I''ve noticed a LOT of people selling bumpers only (not with the rest of a set) on Craigslist, but never understood why. Huh. Guess this explains it.

I also notice a LOT of people selling used car seats, but apparently you should not purchase them used because they do age with use . . .

Getting any closer to design decisions, Laila? Here''s a blankie, which happens to be gender-neutral, that I must have!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sophia has had a bumper in her crib since she moved in to her room at 8 weeks.

Bedding is kind of a waste of money IMHO. We received a set as a gift from my brother. But the comforter is in the trunk of my car and we use it when we go to the park. If you aren''t going to do a bumper, I would probably get some cute fitted sheets and a nice skirt and call it a day. Etsy sellers make really great bedding.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 8:47:34 AM
Author: lovelylulu
We found out that we are having a little girl. But, when getting the nursery ready, since we were told that there is a chance that *she* could be a *he*, I made some fairly neutral choices both in terms of gender and age. Meaning that hopefully, the room will be able to grow with the kid beyond just his/her baby stages.

Not so sure what we''d do about all the pink dresses people have gifted us
3.gif

also, laine - the bedding that I picked did come with a bumper, but I''ve attached it to the crib as a bed skirt . . .
Holy crap! I had no idea!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Pupp - ha! We haven''t had an ultrasound since week 20 and while those medical professionals were fairly certain that our babe is a girl, we were told it''s a lot more certain to confirm the presence rather than the absence of something. we also know two IRL couples that thought they were having girls only to have boys. so, we shall see
31.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We used a bumper for JT. We lived in a very big old house and it was really cold that winter. The bumper held in some heat so we kept it on. We never had any issues with it but JT wasn''t a big mover in the crib. He stayed exactly where he was laid.

For this baby, I have one that came with the set (which I got for $35--crib bedding really isn''t a great investment so I couldn''t bring myself to spend $200 again!) We''ll see how the bumper goes and remove it if necessary.

lulu''s bumper as a skirt is really cute for any of you who don''t want to use it as a bumper.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 10:12:21 AM
Author: fiery

Sophia has had a bumper in her crib since she moved in to her room at 8 weeks.

Bedding is kind of a waste of money IMHO. We received a set as a gift from my brother. But the comforter is in the trunk of my car and we use it when we go to the park. If you aren''t going to do a bumper, I would probably get some cute fitted sheets and a nice skirt and call it a day. Etsy sellers make really great bedding.
Thank you, fiery!!! Wow! I had no idea there would be bedding on Etsy. Crazy cute stuff!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results