shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunshinegirl77

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if anyone on here has chosen to go with a gemstone e-ring instead of the traditional diamond?

My BF finally opened up to me
36.gif
and told me he wanted to propose (see other thread Need Major Advice), but wanted to do it the "right" way. He said right now with 2 house payments and other expenses he could not afford a ring. My reply was that a ring is just a piece of metal and it is the commitment behind the ring. I explained to him that i didn''t need a diamond, that I would be just as happy with a gemstone ring. I like to be different and told him almost everyone wears a diamond and I would like something more unique to me. I then showed him this ring online that I have had my eye on for years. It holds 2 stones. I told him I wanted that ring with our birthstones, so whenever I looked down and see it, I would be seeing us. At first he didn''t seem to understand until I told him how much personal meaning the ring would have. Due to the shape of the ring I would need to have a custom band made for it. I figure then, if I wanted, I could get something made that would be a little more elaborate.

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
Check out the "Colored Stones" thread- you will find lots of them!

There are quite a few people on this board with gorgeous gemstone engagement rings- some of which prefer them to diamonds, so it''s not always a cost issue. I think gemstone engagement rings are lovely- so unique and pretty!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Please come and look in Colored Stones! There are a LOT of us over there with gemstone rings (and we wouldn''t trade ''em for nuthin''!!).

My ER is my avatar pic.

LS

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
the ring sounds lovely, do you have a picture of it?

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i like the birthstone idea
1.gif
your ring would definitely be unique, and you''d have such a wonderful story to go with it

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 11:36:34 AM
Author: Squirrly
i like the birthstone idea
1.gif
your ring would definitely be unique, and you''d have such a wonderful story to go with it
I agree!

b.anna

Shiny_Rock
sunshine, congrats on the future engagement! i think your idea for a ring is SUPER sweet, it''ll be such a beautiful symbol of your love! what are your birthstones? like everyone said, the colored stones area of the forum has GORGEOUS rings. i''m sure you can also get in touch with the women who have these rings. best of luck!

Sunshinegirl77

Rough_Rock
Here is a pic of the ring. For some odd reason it is not showing the actual stones that are being chosen. One stone is the created alexandrite (pictured). It is being used as the june birthstone, since a pearl just doesn''t fit. The second stone is a natural peridot (august).

birthstone engagement.jpg

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Thats a vey pretty ring!!! Very unique
9.gif
, Congratulations for your future engagment
3.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 7:26:40 PM
Author: Sunshinegirl77
Here is a pic of the ring. For some odd reason it is not showing the actual stones that are being chosen. One stone is the created alexandrite (pictured). It is being used as the june birthstone, since a pearl just doesn''t fit. The second stone is a natural peridot (august).

Love that ring Sunshine! It is very unique and I think the colors would look very nice together! Hope this will work for the both of you!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a beautiful ring! keep in mind that you aren''t "settling" when you go with a gemstone ring. Diamonds may be a girls best friend, but that''s not exclusive to other gemstones. It''s all about your personal taste! Myself, I am rather traditional and I LOVE the look of a sparkly rb diamond and don''t think I''d be able to properly "rock" the colored gemstone look, but go to colored stones and you will find girls who feel the exact opposite.

If you want, you can always combine the two, a white gemstone? Sapphires, Topaz, CZ (gasp! lol). That way you get the best of both worlds!

btw, my brother bought his gf a promise ring for their two year anniversary. It has a trillion cut peridot and trillion cut blue topaz, which are their birthstones (along with some little diamonds). It''s a beautiful ring and she gets a lot of compliments on it. Wish I had a pic.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, man made stones are not to be talked about on PS. Also, if you are planning on using peridot, you should note that this stone should not be worn all of the time because of the hardness. If you were to wear it every day it WILL show wear and tear after a relatively short time. It's ok if you want to replace stones periodically, but other than that, I wouldn't recommend it.

I spent over a year thinking about my engagement ring (First went shopping for a diamond in Feb 2007, and finally got engaged December 19, 2008) and how I didn't want a diamond, although I looked into man made diamonds for the social responsibility part of it. I ended up with a 1.2ct blue spinel, that's somewhere in colored stones, in a custom setting. that's after looking at topaz, zircon, sapphires and finally spinels (although sapphires were never discounted completely).

I would recommend that you come hang out in colored stones and do some research before making any final decisions. We love helping people, especially with erings!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 2:50:14 AM
Author: FrekeChild
FYI, man made stones are not to be talked about on PS. Also, if you are planning on using peridot, you should note that this stone should not be worn all of the time because of the hardness. If you were to wear it every day it WILL show wear and tear after a relatively short time. It''s ok if you want to replace stones periodically, but other than that, I wouldn''t recommend it.

I spent over a year thinking about my engagement ring (First went shopping for a diamond in Feb 2007, and finally got engaged December 19, 2008) and how I didn''t want a diamond, although I looked into man made diamonds for the social responsibility part of it. I ended up with a 1.2ct blue spinel, that''s somewhere in colored stones, in a custom setting. that''s after looking at topaz, zircon, sapphires and finally spinels (although sapphires were never discounted completely).

I would recommend that you come hang out in colored stones and do some research before making any final decisions. We love helping people, especially with erings!
Freke, I hope I didn''t upset anyone by mentioning CZ. The only reason I added that one is because when I searched for "white gemstones" on pricescope, this topic came up https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clear-white-gems.32373/ and in it, CZ was mentioned by a few posters.

And correct me if I''m wrong (I''m not too, too knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff) but isn''t there a difference between "man made" diamonds and synthetic ones (like a CZ). I thought that PS had a whole forum dedicated to man made diamonds?

Sorry if I caused any problems
15.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 1:48:35 PM
Author: jaylex
Freke, I hope I didn''t upset anyone by mentioning CZ. The only reason I added that one is because when I searched for ''white gemstones'' on pricescope, this topic came up https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clear-white-gems.32373/ and in it, CZ was mentioned by a few posters.

And correct me if I''m wrong (I''m not too, too knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff) but isn''t there a difference between ''man made'' diamonds and synthetic ones (like a CZ). I thought that PS had a whole forum dedicated to man made diamonds?

Sorry if I caused any problems
15.gif
No problems here! Just a reminder.

I was actually referring to the man-made alexandrite. As for the PS rules, it''s the discussion on where to buy said stones that''s the problem I believe (it''s been a couple months since I read the rules), not just the general mentioning of them.

As for the discussion of man-made diamonds, that is confined pretty much completely to it''s own sub-forum. As for synthetics, those are not allowed to be talked about on PS. Those would include CZ''s, moissanite, etc.

And I don''t get it either.
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I have a lovely diamond e-ring, but if I had it to over again I would definitely consider going with a color stone instead. I loooove them
30.gif

Bex215

Rough_Rock
I have one! I''m with Freke on the social responsibility thing, so I was specifically looking for a sapphire. For me, other stones were pretty much out, b/c I tend to be a little hard on my jewelry. I kind of stumbled upon these stones, they aren''t what I would have originally thought I wanted (especially since it has diamond side stones-what can I say? I''m a sucker for sparkle..)

I LOOVE the 2 birthstone idea! Its very symbolic and that''s really what an ER is about, the symbol of your commitment, in my opinion.

I get a lot of compliments on my ring, though. Because people are so used to seeing diamonds, it kind of catches people''s eyes. And although it was still kind of pricey, its nicer and bigger than any diamond we would have been able to afford. I''ll see if I can attach a picture. Warning: it might be crappy!

Bex215

Rough_Rock
I''m technologically challenged, so I''m not sure if this will work..

myring2151536.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Sunshinegirl- the ring you pictured is so sweet, sentimental and special!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring will be beautiful. And the sentiment behind it will make it extra special.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results