shape
carat
color
clarity

gemburionline/odysseygem 4 ct CC spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Whats nice is he has some control over quality of cut..instead of outsourcing the rough to cutting factories like 80% of the thai sellers do and taking whatever they give you he has more controil over the quality of finished product..but like any person cutting a stone some will be better than others..

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 12:15:44 PM
Author: delayedreaction
little more challenging since I''m a guy.

=) would be nice if we can share ideas
i am also looking for men ring setting ideas
this gem stone is pretty huge for a guy though...
almost 10x9mm
huge

beautiful colour !=)

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Here are some pics of the stone on my hand. I don't find it that large, probably because smaller stones seem out of proportion to me. My hands (mostly palms) are a little big for how average sized I am. Ring sizes are either 7 for pinky or 9.5ish for ring finger.

dr_ccSpinel031012.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
I''d probably go with an east-west setting.

dr_ccSpinel031011.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the sampling of rings I liked (mens and womens) that I put together for the setting for the Asscher in my avatar.

asscherExamples.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
And one of one of the rings I actually have (this obviously is the vendor pic). The onyx is 14x10mm. I think this spinel is actually the smallest stone I have in my tiny collection. Everything else is at least 5 carats.

artOnyx.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
I should also mention that I'm half contemplating a recut just to get all my learning out of the way upfront. On the other hand, I'm actually pretty okay with this spinel as is.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure you didn''t post a photo of my hand?
9.gif
Mine look very simiilar, I also have a wide palm and long, thin fingers (which I wish I could change somehow, but it''s not gonna happen...). I agree that an E/W orientation would probably be best, so that you balance the width of the palm with the finger size. Maybe some sort of a semi bezel would look nice, and with E/W set cushions I like to see a tapering shank, maybe with some small diamond accents flush set in it.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 1:07:12 AM
9.5ish for ring finger.
you will need at least a 10mm wide ring and for a 9.5 ring size, that is going to be alot of gold ie $$$$

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
That''s a beautiful spinel!

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Maevie, it looks way better in person, although I think I will have the pavilion recut if I don't lose too much over 20% carat weight.

I've been contemplating palladium, oxidized silver and platinum (although the only designer I know of that might do this would be Leon), or oxidized silver and 18k gold (which I'm doing for my asscher plus a few cognac diamonds). I've heard of a palladium shell over silver but I don't think my budget is _that_ tight, but we'll see what the quotes come in at.

I find that rose gold works best with my skintone but I don't really care for the idea with the color shift to purple. (It's a pretty combination, but it's a little too precious for me to wear.) I would totally go for a non-shifting blue or other colors aside from purple and rose gold though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the blue is wonderful. I have not seen a pic of the purple on your hand so it is hard to tell. If you decide to recut it, who do you plan to use?

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
For the possible recut, I've sent out some contact emails to Tony Lloyd-Rees, Dan Stair and Gary Braun, so hopefully in the next few days I'll hear back.

Attached is a color change hand shot.

dr_ccSpinel031013.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 11:47:23 AM
Author: chictomato
Its of a nice blue:) can I know if its well-cut? with meeting facet points? polished girdle? is it free of scratches and pits when view under a loupe? TIA

My loupe arrived today, and it''s free of scratches and pits. Also didn''t mention this before the cut is okay, and no polished girdle.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
O-M-G, that''s one huge & stunning CC spinel! *yum*
25.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 4:04:37 PM
For the possible recut, I''ve sent out some contact emails to Tony Lloyd-Rees, Dan Stair and Gary Braun, so hopefully in the next few days I''ll hear back.

Why are you having it recut??? I think it''s a very nice native cut, and any small window it has would close up in a setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 8:55:43 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/21/2010 4:04:37 PM
For the possible recut, I''ve sent out some contact emails to Tony Lloyd-Rees, Dan Stair and Gary Braun, so hopefully in the next few days I''ll hear back.

Why are you having it recut??? I think it''s a very nice native cut, and any small window it has would close up in a setting.
Agreed. The cutting does not look terribly bad for the risk involved, not to mention loss of size and ct weight.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
did you decide on a setting for this cushion spinel yet?

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
I probably won't have it recut since I've been told that it will most likely be possible to retain the face up size if the setting doesn't correct the window.

That said, I am undecided on the setting. Contemplating three ways: knocking off Kenny's partner's octavia setting (except in a fake tension in platinum), going with two smaller side stones (tsavorites, cognac diamonds, or black sapphire/spinel/diamond), or scrapping east-west and doing a signet style with a halo (probably cognac or black somethings).

I'm least likely to do #3 because I have a red burma spinel oval that I'm more likely to set that way (red/black/gold).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
When it comes to setting color changers I usually think that less is more, but it''s your call so make yourself happy
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results