shape
carat
color
clarity

gemburionline/odysseygem 4 ct CC spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Look what arrived today from Thailand. Sadly, no pictures in daylight as it was pretty dark and it was raining and cloudy today. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunnier.

Vendor Stats: 4.14ct cushion, VVS1, 9.7 x 8.5 x 6.4 mm

dr_ccSpinel031001.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Still getting the hang of photographing gems:

dr_ccSpinel031005.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to try for better CC pics tomorrow when I get sunlight photos. This is a terrible pic, but you can kind of guess what the color change is like:

dr_ccSpinel031006.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
And the vendor pics to finish it up for tonight:

dr_ccSpinel_vendor01.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big WOW!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a huge spinel!! I saw that one in his listings. Very pretty.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks quite similar to his pictures. It''s pretty uncommon to have such a large cc spinel and I''m looking forward to more pictures.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great colour and the colour change is amazing.

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
OH what a lovely stone! That color is just... amazing! What a lovely choice you made
1.gif

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. Here's a daylight pic, although it's a little finicky in daylight:

dr_ccSpinel031007s.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Makes the gray undertones a bit more apparent in person, although it's not quite as dark as this picture makes it out to be:

dr_ccSpinel031008s.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Color change 1 (had some issues getting the light source to cooperate):

dr_ccSpinel031009a.jpg

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
And finally last pic. It's not nearly so extinct in person, just haven't figured out the lighting:

dr_ccSpinel031010.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty pretty!
36.gif

-A

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Yummy colors!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Yep..I saw this stone and there and it''s freaking sweet..sucker is big and nice and good colored..wasn''t the cheapest stone by any strech of the imagination..good buy

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Its of a nice blue:) can I know if its well-cut? with meeting facet points? polished girdle? is it free of scratches and pits when view under a loupe? TIA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chictomato,
I can tell you that it has a small window which is apparent from both the vendor’s and OP’s pictures.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I browsed through their website today. Some of their stones are nice and inexpensive, some, especially CC garnets, are way more expensive than the one I got from Gary. Tsavorites are nice, and I am thinking of getting a cheaper sapphire for one of my projects, but in general, I had no time to make an opinion about their store. I wonder what other people''s experience will be. I suspect their prices will go up as more and more PS-ers buy from them.

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Yup, there is a small window but it doesn''t really bother me. I figured when I ordering that it''s big enough to recut if the window was annoying in person.

I just ordered a loupe earlier this week, so I''ll let you know how the spinel holds up when the loupe arrives.

Now the question is how to set it, but that''s going to be a little more challenging since I''m a guy.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/17/2010 11:58:25 AM
Author: Chrono
Chictomato,

I can tell you that it has a small window which is apparent from both the vendor’s and OP’s pictures.

Hi Chrono tks for the reply, if you remembered my very first purchase was a cc sapphire early last year. But I gave up the purchase as the stone is cut terribly shallow (luckily I have experienced Pser and gem-cutter to turn to for advises) I am kinda surprise to see another purchase from this vendor and is just as curious on the cut they deliver:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 12:16:14 PM
Author: chictomato
Hi Chrono tks for the reply, if you remembered my very first purchase was a cc sapphire early last year. But I gave up the purchase as the stone is cut terribly shallow (luckily I have experienced Pser and gem-cutter to turn to for advises) I am kinda surprise to see another purchase from this vendor and is just as curious on the cut they deliver:)
I’ve seen some very well cut stones from this vendor per his pictures (no windowing, good meet points and acceptable polish) but you have to look for these. Some are badly cut while some appear to be extremely well cut, and this varies from stone to stone.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/17/2010 12:25:12 PM

I’ve seen some very well cut stones from this vendor per his pictures (no windowing, good meet points and acceptable polish) but you have to look for these. Some are badly cut while some appear to be extremely well cut, and this varies from stone to stone.

YES I did notice that too:)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 12:15:44 PM
Author: delayedreaction
Yup, there is a small window but it doesn''t really bother me. I figured when I ordering that it''s big enough to recut if the window was annoying in person.

I just ordered a loupe earlier this week, so I''ll let you know how the spinel holds up when the loupe arrives.

Now the question is how to set it, but that''s going to be a little more challenging since I''m a guy.
Doesen''t have to be, cause we at least don''t have THAT many options to choose from, and lately here on CS we can see how that can sometimes be a good thing. Post some specs like your finger size, or even better a shot of the stone resting on your hand so that some of us could (hopefully) get some ideas. Do you have some prefered styles? Some inspiration pics?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 12:04:18 PM
Author: crasru
I browsed through their website today. Some of their stones are nice and inexpensive, some, especially CC garnets, are way more expensive than the one I got from Gary. Tsavorites are nice, and I am thinking of getting a cheaper sapphire for one of my projects, but in general, I had no time to make an opinion about their store. I wonder what other people''s experience will be. I suspect their prices will go up as more and more PS-ers buy from them.
Without comparing the two CC garnets, it''s hard to say. The degree of color change, the size, and other factors really play a role in detemining the prices on those. I''ve seen some very affordable CC garnets on his site, but I''ve been avoiding them becauase CC garnets appear to be too dark toned for me. I''m not a fan of dark toned gems. At least Tan is another source with a wide selection of CC garnets if anyone is interested. You should see how much Gem Shopping Network wants for these gems, and I''m talking the ones that turn from blue/green to pink/red, not the color shift ones that turn from brown to yellow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 12:32:23 PM

Date: 3/17/2010 12:25:12 PM

YES I did notice that too:)
Tan told me that he has a cutting factory, and I suspect some of the workers are more skilled than others. I have a tsavorite from him with excellent Portuguese cutting on it, and a few spinels with the same skilled cutting. He told me that his factory recently purchased a concave faceting machine so they''re selling those too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results