shape
carat
color
clarity

Gary H (cut nut)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duriofont

Rough_Rock

I''ve been researching my diamond purchase for the last two months and have yet to make up my mind. As I’ve said before, this forum is invaluable for novices like me who come in not knowing much about diamonds; I am still amazed at how much is in play. My concerns seem to be the same as many others; how to get the most bang for my buck. You mention diamonds that you say others toss out, and that people accuse you of favoring shallower cut diamonds. This is encouraging to me because maybe those diamonds would be excellent cut, larger, and less expensive stones. I’m clear that the price of perfection will cost me in size when trying to stay within a certain price range. Thus my thinking that there has got to be some middle ground for those of us who don’t demand perfection yet still want a beautiful, high quality diamond.

Here is what I''m thinking I should consider and would appreciate your (and anyone else''s) input:

Go with an Excellent versus Ideal cut, H or I, SI1 stone. I think I prefer fire to brilliance (assuming fire is the colored sparkles and brilliance is the white sparkles) and don''t think I''d mind slight fluorescence. Am I headed in the right direction and what budget am I in if I want between 1. and 1.4 carats? What else should I consider?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a link to an old thread where Garry talks about what to look for to find a Firey cut diamond:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fic-proportions.9305/

Hope that helps!
1.gif

Erik638

Rough_Rock
"don''t think I''d mind slight fluorescence"

I am far from an expert but if you are considering an H or I color stone you might want to consider moderate fluorescence b/c it could potentially make your stone look more colorless.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cajun you can do searches for e-vendors for the a cost guide and lowest prices and local jewellers and by HCA to get an idea of those prices (by hCA are the very best cuts as a rule).

There are however no agreed Ecxeelent and ideal standards - the whole thing is opinion and arbitray at present.

I personally like strong blues in all colors - and given they cost less - go with it!!!

Good luck - if you find something and want opinions on ideal-scope images we will help out.

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Gary, I''m still not clear on why you are accused of prefering a shallower cut. Is this the same as strong blue flourescense? Better value yet still a beautiful diamond. Earlier on in my search I plugged in the proportions of a diamond I was considering that didn''t have much difference between the depth and table numbers yet scored 1.5 on the HCA. Is this what is meant by shallower stones?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2005 10
6.gif
6.gif
2 PM
Author: Cajunrock

proportions of a diamond I was considering that didn''t have much difference between the depth and table numbers yet scored 1.5 on the HCA. Is this what is meant by shallower stones?
Don''t think so, but I hope Garry answer this for all ages:

What are those "shallow" rounds? Is it about total depth or an optical property that makes head obstruction more severe ?

There are more questions about this opened right now
34.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
i do not have time to answer this question every time
might do a thread in FAQ''s I think.

they look better when dirty and have a bigger spread
make the best earrings and pendants

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results