shape
carat
color
clarity

Future Three stone asscher project... can I pick your brain?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori- I remembered your beauties...have you got handshots sweetie?

Kismet- I knew I saw some Gorgeous Colored Asscher with traps....I couldn''t remember who had them... Thank you for the picture!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Megeve- Thank you for the link, I remember he had a Citrine once, but I hadn''t checked anything else out yet...It''ll be a fun project but none compare to your Gorgeous Collection my dear
4.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d try typing something like "asscher gemstone" into a Google image search and see which colors I like in that shape. That will narrow down your choices and probably give you some direction. I personally prefer light tones (sometimes even pastels) in step cuts, not exclusively, but more often than not. I also most often like stones of very good clarity for such cuts, so I''d suggest you check out beryls like morganites, heliodors and aquamarines (for both, color and clarity). Asschers also need to be reasonably large, if you want to see their steps, so I think you should probably look into stones around 2 ct range. Taking that into account pretty much rules out emeralds, cause it''s not easy to find one with a decent color and 2 cts in size for 1000$ (unless heavily treated). BTW, how do you feel about treatments? You could also browse youtube to see some step cut (not necessarily asscher) stones in various color, so that you see how differently they handle light. That might rule some colors out too. Or maybe just go with some color that you love, but which you don''t have much of in your jewellery.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
D&T, I checked out Bespoke and he has two nice ones (I skipped a blue topaz, for some reason thought you wouldn't be into it). They're both big though (4.5 carats for the beryl and 5.5, I think). He says the pink is a cranberry color, and I think its just above your budget.

ETA: the beryl is $400.

bespokeberyl.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
And the tourmaline.

bespoketourmpink.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Mr.Ma Rae- I appreciate your insight and I agree with you that I actually find myself drawn to the lighter tone as well when it comes to asscher modify cuts I''ll check on the specimen that you mentioned and also see if I can pull up some videos of how they perform. What a great Idea!

Novel- Aww Thank you sweetie for taking the time to look for gems for me
1.gif
you are a sweetheart!!! I did just now looked through Bespoke, and for some reasont the pattern of his asscher doesn''t quite sing to me albeit lovely btw- I just committed to working with Gary on his asscher. So for now, I''ll wait to see what he comes up for me.

Thank you all for your expertise and your lovely comments. I''m soo thrilled to know you all
36.gif
... sooo stay tuned
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said you want durable? That rules out a lot of stones mentioned above. However, Chrysoberyl, Sapphire and Rubies would be options. I doubt if you''ll get a Ruby Asscher (unless you have one cut) but you could certainly find a gorgeous blue sapphire. Chrysoberyls can either be a glittery yellow or green and they perform beautifully. With diamonds they look sensational.

I''ve got a 1ct diamond Asscher with traps on either side and I adore it. I love the clean lines. I would definitely go with traps but bullets will give slightly more finger coverage (which you may or may not need depending on the size of your central stone).

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 12:23:01 PM
Author: D&T
Thank you Mr.Ma Rae- I appreciate your insight and I agree with you that I actually find myself drawn to the lighter tone as well when it comes to asscher modify cuts I''ll check on the specimen that you mentioned and also see if I can pull up some videos of how they perform. What a great Idea!

Novel- Aww Thank you sweetie for taking the time to look for gems for me
1.gif
you are a sweetheart!!! I did just now looked through Bespoke, and for some reasont the pattern of his asscher doesn''t quite sing to me albeit lovely btw- I just committed to working with Gary on his asscher. So for now, I''ll wait to see what he comes up for me.

Thank you all for your expertise and your lovely comments. I''m soo thrilled to know you all
36.gif
... sooo stay tuned
2.gif
No problem! I was bored over here. And yay, yay, YAY! for committing to Gary! His asschers are amazing!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 12:28:05 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
You said you want durable? That rules out a lot of stones mentioned above. However, Chrysoberyl, Sapphire and Rubies would be options. I doubt if you'll get a Ruby Asscher (unless you have one cut) but you could certainly find a gorgeous blue sapphire. Chrysoberyls can either be a glittery yellow or green and they perform beautifully. With diamonds they look sensational.

I've got a 1ct diamond Asscher with traps on either side and I adore it. I love the clean lines. I would definitely go with traps but bullets will give slightly more finger coverage (which you may or may not need depending on the size of your central stone).
Hi LD!!! those two you mentioned are top on my list, and with a blue sapphire, I'm looking lighter color anyways, so the price will drop a bit plus I don't mind heat treatment. I don't have any chrysoberyl and maybe this will be my chance
31.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
D&T-I love asscher cuts! I would recommend either asscher sides if the center is smaller and the need for more finger coverage is there. If the center is larger then I''d go for traps or bullets. What a great project!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here is my spess cut by Dan. It sparkles beautifully and I can see all the lovely facets even with the tone of the stone.

Octo-spess5.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 12:58:00 PM
Author: stepcutnut
Here is my spess cut by Dan. It sparkles beautifully and I can see all the lovely facets even with the tone of the stone.
This is Gorgeous! do you have a thread on this ring?

ETA: oh my word that baguette halo is something out of this world
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results