shape
carat
color
clarity

Full Eternity or 5 larger stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amsmeq

Rough_Rock

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m obviously really biased...but I really love my five stone band!!
30.gif

Pros:
More bling appearance for the money.
It''s in your budget and will look *substantial*.
It''s hard to tell that it''s not an eternity from the top view.
I actually like that I can grab something and not worry about the diamonds underneath.
It can be sized.
It''s more comfortable than an eternity ring.
It doesn''t get as dirty as an eternity ring.

Cons:
You can''t see diamonds on the palm of my finger
39.gif
LOL.
I love the general flow of eternity bands
very continuous and pleasing design

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to whatever kcoursolle said! I have a phobia of my diamonds getting knocked up, so 5 stone definitely gets my vote!! I also don''t love how an eternity band feels kinda scratchy and thick between the fingers...

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto KC.............lets hear it for the 5-stone!!!!

The best way to make up your mind is try on different bands and see which you prefer. I kinda always wanted the 5-stone from the start cos I just knew that if I went for the full eternity, I''d lose a few diamonds (marbles - my DH has just said) plus I didn''t like the feeling of the stones inbetween my fingers.

Fewer stones, larger stones in my opinion.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a 5 stone ring and I have a prong set full eternity band. I must say that my eternity band isn''t one of the most comfortable rings to wear. Especially if you are washing your hands with the ring on, the ring just scratches the other hand and it hurts!

NYPrincess

Rough_Rock
I vote for the five stone ring as well! I am looking into purchasing an EC five stone ring similar to Po''s. I have an antique, platinum eternity band (bead set) from the 1920''s and as much as I love it, I''ve lost three stones out of the back from wearing it for only six months. I love the look of them but they are difficult to clean and require more maintenance. If you are hard on jewelry, the back of the ring will get banged up too. Noone sees the stones in back so I think it''s a waste.

I would get the largest, best quality stones you can and show them all off in the front!

9.gif

NY

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
love love kcoursolle''s ring
30.gif
showed it to my bf and he loves it too. i might be getting something similar
6.gif

5 stone band is def. easier to wear than eternity when you have to carry and grab things. The eternity squeezes against the other fingers and digs into the back of the ring finger.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
I love kcoursolle''s 5 stone band.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

If you want more bling for your buck I would opt for the 5 stone.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
5 stone!

Eternity bands can''t be resized. In the summer your fingers might swell, making your ring too tight, in the winter the ring will be too loose.

Plus 5 stone rings are gorgeous!!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
For all of the reasons listed above, go with a 5-stone. They are BEAUTIFUL!

I prefer eternity rings, however. I like the design. Yet, this is only for channel set eternity rings....as they are easier to wear.

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
Go for the 5 stone. I too LOVE LOVE kcoursolle''s band. I am having a rose gold one done and actually mimicked the scallop-y U-shape profile of hers. It''ll be my engagement ring tho (stones are .40 each). Talk about finger-coverage!
30.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think either one would be lovely, but I have to cast another vote for the five stone band. You get more bling for the money where it can actually be seen, the ring is more durable and can be sized, and it is more comfortable for regular wear. KC's ring is drop dead gorgeous!

Happilyeverafter I LOVE your idea of using a five stone ring with 40 pointers for an engagement ring!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful designs, but I would have to go with the eternity. I have a channel set eternity band that is very comfortable, not sure that I would like the shared prong as much. I just cannot stand when my rings spin and are not lined up...I love the continuity of the eternity band.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 12:06:03 PM
Author: happilyeverafter
Go for the 5 stone. I too LOVE LOVE kcoursolle''s band. I am having a rose gold one done and actually mimicked the scallop-y U-shape profile of hers. It''ll be my engagement ring tho (stones are .40 each). Talk about finger-coverage!
30.gif
You gals are so sweet saying all these nice things about my ring! I really do love it though, it''s a great band that is simple and classic!

Happilyeverafter, I can''t waid to see how your band turns out!!! It''s going to be gorgeous and I always thought this style works really well as a stand alone ring. It''s going to be a fantastic e-ring with 40 pointers!!!

Someday I want to get a similar ring made in yellow gold with fancy intense yellow diamonds yummy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d far rather have the 5 stone for a RHR. I like eternity rings only for wedding rings.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have a 5 stone and I love the extra bling
30.gif
I also have a problem with the sizing on my rings, which have made several trips to the jeweler. I don't dare have a ring that can't easily be resized!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2007 12:23:05 PM
Author: Sundial
I think either one would be lovely, but I have to cast another vote for the five stone band. You get more bling for the money where it can actually be seen, the ring is more durable and can be sized, and it is more comfortable for regular wear. KC''s ring is drop dead gorgeous!

Happilyeverafter I LOVE your idea of using a five stone ring with 40 pointers for an engagement ring!!!
HI:

Lot-o-ditto''s here........ When I was working in public health, there was a gal who came in reguarily to have her BP checked and had a 5 stone ring--with very large stones (? maybe .75''s each); it was a stunner all right......every time I saw her she was an inspiration for getting one of my own.......
3.gif
but never did.....

That said, I have had two full eternity rings (round and asscher) and love(d) them.

cheers--Sharon

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
See, for some reason, for a rhr, I like the idea of a full-eternity versus a 5-stone with larger diamonds. This is just my preference though. The reason is, I like small delicate eternity rings for a more understated rhr instead of a more blingy, heavy/larger rhr with the 5-stone.....Not sure if this makes sense...then again, either way it is bling....so you can''t go too wrong, can you?

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 1:19:07 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 7/4/2007 12:06:03 PM
30.gif
You gals are so sweet saying all these nice things about my ring! I really do love it though, it''s a great band that is simple and classic!

Happilyeverafter, I can''t waid to see how your band turns out!!! It''s going to be gorgeous and I always thought this style works really well as a stand alone ring. It''s going to be a fantastic e-ring with 40 pointers!!!

Someday I want to get a similar ring made in yellow gold with fancy intense yellow diamonds yummy!
Stop KC, you''re giving me ideas!!
31.gif
I''m already planning wedding bands and rhr''s that would go with it lol

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 1:52:46 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Author: Sundial
I think either one would be lovely, but I have to cast another vote for the five stone band. You get more bling for the money where it can actually be seen, the ring is more durable and can be sized, and it is more comfortable for regular wear. KC''s ring is drop dead gorgeous!

HI:

Lot-o-ditto''s here........ When I was working in public health, there was a gal who came in reguarily to have her BP checked and had a 5 stone ring--with very large stones (? maybe .75''s each); it was a stunner all right......every time I saw her she was an inspiration for getting one of my own.......
3.gif
but never did.....

That said, I have had two full eternity rings (round and asscher) and love(d) them.

cheers--Sharon
OH MY GOODNESS, how did she ever fit it all on her finger? We had to square out the curve in mine to accomodate almost 25mm of diamonds so they wouldn''t cut into my fingers! Then again i''m a 4.75, but still! WOW!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Both are gorgeous so this is a hard choice! I've actually been thinking about what I'd buy for a RHR too. IF I ever bought one. I'm just dreaming of one right now. I love KC's 5 stone ring. I also love the look of a substantial eternity band, like KristyDarling's 3.2 ctw ACA Whiteflash eternity band. Yummy!

For those of you with 5 stone bands, does spin often? That would bug me if it's not lined up correctly.

Just for fun, I looked at what you could possibly get in your price range (size 5.5):

Platinum Shared-Prong Band, 5 Round Brilliant Diamonds, 1.32ct. tw., about .26cts each. $3800

Platinum Shared-Prong Eternity Band, 20 Round Brilliant Diamonds, 1.91ct. tw., about .10cts each. $3300

Definitely more bling from the top view for your money. Personally, because of that reason and I have a 3 pointer eternity as my wedding band, I'd go with the 5 stone.

Have you tried on these types of rings in person? I would go do that because what matters most is which style you love more on your hand.

ML2014

Rough_Rock
I had a full eternity (shared prong) that was about 3.5 carats- loved the look but it was not comfortable for me at all, and it always tilted on my finger, which drove me crazy. I lost weight after I received it and had to have it sized (they put in sizing beads) and a few years later, was looking at having to have it resized again. Rather than do that, I decided to upgrade to a 3 stone ring. (I would have gone with a 5 stone but having 3 stones held more personal meaning to me). It is so much more comfortable, and while I occassionally miss seeing diamonds on my palm , I am very happy I made the switch.

joker382

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at rings myself and I do love the eternity band and so does my girlfriend, BUT I was talking to a jeweler the other day and he advised against it. I actually liked that because it was more expensive that the 3/4, but he said in his experience he has had more people come in to replace missing stones in an eternity band than any other piece of jewelery. He told me that it is always on the bottom (palm side) and he said (just like everyone else) wear and tear will knock them out. He also said that women like to wear jewelery (THAT WAS A COMPLETE SHOCK TO ME - I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT) but he said this is a problem because when they clap their hands, they bang their other rings against it and it will easily knock diamonds lose. Just some food for thought!!! I just wanted to share my experience and give you a little insight - hope it helped a bit.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wooo, I am debating something very similar... I have worn a prong set eternity band for a short time and thought it was very uncomfortable.. I think the channel set is ver comfortable... However, have to say that I for a RHR I would go with bigger stones...5 and use the eternity for my wedding band...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the fiver just like kcoursolle''s, myself! And happilyeverafter, I can''t wait to see your rose gold version of kcoursolle''s! I''m drooling just thinking about it...I love rose gold!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an eternity band already and I''m shoping for stones to build myself a shared prong five stone band for my tenth wedding anniversary next year. I have a size 6 1/4 finger and .30 pt. stones look very nice but I''m thinking I may look for five .35 or .40s. now that I found that finding five certified stones that match are not all that hard. In any case, I''m sure I''ll wear my five stone band more because I''m always worried about the diamonds in my eternity band, even though it''s channel set and in platinum.

My vote goes to the five stoner. I''m going to enjoy seeing those nice big stones up front and center. I can''t wait for people''s reaction.

Go for the five stones.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m really hard on the underside of my rings so I''d vote for a five stone. I love the look of 5 large stones.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
For myself, I am thinking of going with a 5-stone ring for a variety of reasons, which have already been mentioned. I can be rough on jewlery & I will be ablet to get larger diamonds going this route. Also, I like the idea of having the option to resize the ring if needed.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2007 3:26:07 PM

Date: 7/4/2007 1:52:46 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Author:
HI:

3.gif
but never did.....

cheers--Sharon
OH MY GOODNESS, how did she ever fit it all on her finger? We had to square out the curve in mine to accomodate almost 25mm of diamonds so they wouldn''t cut into my fingers! Then again i''m a 4.75, but still! WOW!
HI:

Well, the stones were set very high; and this ladies finger was larger than mine, I''d say at the minimum, a size 7. It was stunning and she could pull it off!

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 2:33:41 AM
Author: gladyskristen
Ditto to whatever kcoursolle said! I have a phobia of my diamonds getting knocked up, so 5 stone definitely gets my vote!! I also don''t love how an eternity band feels kinda scratchy and thick between the fingers...
And what would be so bad about a bunch of melee (baby diamonds)??!
9.gif
25.gif

I vote 5 stone as well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results