shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Today, Le Labo Baie Rose 26
I am a sucker for rose scents and I think this is one of my favorites!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes Francis makes amazing fumes! I also love love love Le Labo. Roses, I have been wanting a rose forever, not too straight yet a rose, have not been able to find the one. Now I really love Terry de Gunzburg Rouge Nocturne, a deep, dark rose, powdery, bit sweet like vanilla, ambery, not too much rose yet enough. Also, I did not like Frederic Malle's Portrait of a Lady before but now I find it mesmerizing, it has a lot more rose to me than Rouge Nocturne, it is sharper and more incense but definitely more of a rose -. I have never tried Baie Rose I used to own Rose 31 though I find it a bit more on the masculine side than on the feminine. Le Labo does make truly stunning scents.

I wish I could visit some of the cities where they sell their exclusives. I am still holding myself back on fume purchases as I still own so many and tons more samples from the pre-exclusions days when we could share fumes back and forth with people in the US. I almost got Rouge Nocturne though and may still later on as Portait of a Lady is a little high priced even for me and as gorgeous as it is, just dunno if that gorgeous. For a Le Labo exclusive, I may be willing to pay that price. Hmm, maybe in the spring.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1419781303|3808714 said:

I am the same way!! Can't pass up a good rose or tuberose. Enjoy your roses today--I just might wear Le Labo Rose 31!

cheers--Sharon

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1419786240|3808756 said:

I am the same way!! Can't pass up a good rose or tuberose. Enjoy your roses today--I just might wear Le Labo Rose 31!

cheers--Sharon

I haven't experienced that one, how do you like it?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

cheers--Sharon

Have you tried Bvlgari's rose perfume, that is another favorite.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1419790230|3808776 said:

cheers--Sharon

I like it--I think I posted my feelings about it up thread. The body crème is simply divine. :appl:

And no, I have not tried the Bvlgari Rose product. Yet! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Fracas, by Robert Piguet. I have worn this almost every day for the last 10 years. I sometimes force myself to wear something else as I become too accustomed to it to smell it but I soon come scurrying back begging for forgiveness.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1419794026|3808797 said:
ckrickett|1419790230|3808776 said:

cheers--Sharon

I like it--I think I posted my feelings about it up thread. The body crème is simply divine. :appl:

And no, I have not tried the Bvlgari Rose product. Yet! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Oh you MUST!!! It's my favorite rose scent!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have Bulgari's Rose Essentielle EdP. Distinctly rose, very elegant. Easy to wear, slightly sweet. All around lovely and smells expensive, though I don't reach for it that often since I rarely wear florals.

Fragrance today: Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber. I read that it was similar to Flowerbomb, but I'm not getting that. Unfortunately, I must not like amber very much.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Another 2 amazing Rose scents are by Armani

Armani/Prive Rose D'Arabie and Rose Alexandrie

D'Arabie features the Damask Rose, and Alexandrie is slightly lighter and sweeter.

I Think these are only available at NM

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Montale has very nice roses, especially the oud one but they are pretty straight roses. I love Annick Goutal and they have some very nice roses. My vote for a unique rose is still Le Labo and for the most beautiful roses is still Frederic Malle, some do prefer Lipstick Rose, to me Portrait of a Lady is the most beautiful rose I have ever smelled. As I said though Terry De Gunzburg has great ones, I really love the depth of Rouge Nocturne but though never smelled it Rose Infernale is really beautiful as well, cannot comment on that one yet. I am trying to think of others... rose is in most perfumes but depends on how straight a rose you like. I generally prefer one that is less obvious, either with incense or oud, amber too or different like Le Labo.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1419811029|3808891 said:
Montale has very nice roses, especially the oud one but they are pretty straight roses. I love Annick Goutal and they have some very nice roses. My vote for a unique rose is still Le Labo and for the most beautiful roses is still Frederic Malle, some do prefer Lipstick Rose, to me Portrait of a Lady is the most beautiful rose I have ever smelled. As I said though Terry De Gunzburg has great ones, I really love the depth of Rouge Nocturne but though never smelled it Rose Infernale is really beautiful as well, cannot comment on that one yet. I am trying to think of others... rose is in most perfumes but depends on how straight a rose you like. I generally prefer one that is less obvious, either with incense or oud, amber too or different like Le Labo.

A rose by any other name.... :bigsmile:

It is interesting how scents draw us in and mesmerize us in ways our gems do--yet unique in the way we can and do wear them. If there is one thing we realize is that one size/scent does not fit all. Like rose gold on skin tone.

It was not an instant love affair between Le Labo Rose 31 and myself. It was nurtured! ;)) I was patient. And rewarded.

But some love affairs are unrequited. For a many years, a friend admired Carnal Flower every time I wore it, and finally bought herself a bottle. While she loved it on herself her DH could not tolerate it on her. She stayed, Carnal Flower was gone.

My olfactory loves are rose and tuberose. And all colors of gold. Blessed with a tolerant DH? :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wore Le Labo Bergamote 22 today. Most refreshing among my Le Labo scents. I'm not a perfume connoisseur nor do I have very sensitive nose, but I'd like to share my perception of the few Le Labo scents that I have worn.

I've only wore a few their scents but my experience is that most of those that I've used are more for personal enjoyment. It's like ladies saying they like OEC vs MRB as the flash is more subtle, more for personal enjoyment. My nose is not sensitive in distinguishing smell but is sensitive in that I sneeze easily. I like Le Labo as most of those that I've are mild, meaning I doubt it's strong to people passing by me, but I can smell it on myself, hence the personal enjoyment comment. It suits me fine as they're mostly non sneeze inducing.

Bergamote 22: refreshing, good for warm climate, non sneeze inducing if only one dab per wrist, personal enjoyment (mild), one my my favorites

Neroli 36: bitter orange smell upon application, personal enjoyment/non sneeze inducing with one dab per wrist

Ylang 49: sharp and strong, people around you can definitely smell it, lasts long

Lys 41: another favorite, warm smell as compared to Bergamote 22, slightly stronger than Bergamote 22

Santa 33: I only tried this once when deciding on what to get so my memory might not be too accurate, woody, not so suitable for ladies (or at least me) upon application, becomes more subtle after 3 hours and I like it then, lasts long, milder than Ylang 49 but stronger smell than the rest I've worn

Rose 31: rose with

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rose 31: rose with powder smell to it, a mild hint of spice, its lasting hours is in between Bergamote (shorter) and Ylang (longest), use it depending on mood (not like Bergamote which is more frequent)

Iris: warm like Lys, pleasant, lasts as long as Rose 31 (actually I didn't really time them, just the general impression), depends on mood too

Oranger 37: only tried once so memory isn't fresh, fruity smell even after hours has passed, doesn't settle into musky/woody/powdery like many of my Le Labo scents

Jasmine 17: tried only once, will get it after I used up some perfumes, light/mild/personal enjoyment, lasting hours more like Bergamote's

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Actually, while I like rose (if a bit darker and more complicated), I cannot stand tuberose and gardenia, both are way too heady for me and many guys have agreed, so not surprised someone told their wife to get rid of Carnal Flower.:))) They are beautiful flowers, they are just not for everyone I guess.

I am not a huge fan of flowers by themselves in general. I prefer animalic scents with vanilla and some flower but generally darker ones, violet, carnation, some rose, a little neroli is ok and iris is my fave by far. My favorite iris scent by far and my favorite Le Labo is Iris 39, a dirty, earthy, animalic iris. That is the one I always keep on hand.

I have tons of fumes from those perfumista times but my all time fave by far is Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles vintage EDT, the fume with supposedly the most notes in a perfume ever created, very complicated and very very sexy, very civety and vanilla, amber and other sweet and dark notes dominate with little flowers but they are there to take off the edge especially neroli. Never liked a fume as much and probably none will ever come close. Really cannot use it a lot as I have no clue where I would replenish my supply once gone. In the US you can get it on the bay at great prices but true vintage may be harder to find. IMHO, only the vintage EDT and EDC are awesome, the modern version is not good at all, very synthetic and masculine, all the sweetness and smoothness and understated seduction is gone.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I HAD to wear Bvlgari Rose Essentielle today!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1419870559|3809107 said:
I HAD to wear Bvlgari Rose Essentielle today!

And I TF Rose Café!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1419857337|3809044 said:
Actually, while I like rose (if a bit darker and more complicated), I cannot stand tuberose and gardenia, both are way too heady for me and many guys have agreed, so not surprised someone told their wife to get rid of Carnal Flower.:))) They are beautiful flowers, they are just not for everyone I guess.

I am not a huge fan of flowers by themselves in general. I prefer animalic scents with vanilla and some flower but generally darker ones, violet, carnation, some rose, a little neroli is ok and iris is my fave by far. My favorite iris scent by far and my favorite Le Labo is Iris 39, a dirty, earthy, animalic iris. That is the one I always keep on hand.

I have tons of fumes from those perfumista times but my all time fave by far is Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles vintage EDT, the fume with supposedly the most notes in a perfume ever created, very complicated and very very sexy, very civety and vanilla, amber and other sweet and dark notes dominate with little flowers but they are there to take off the edge especially neroli. Never liked a fume as much and probably none will ever come close. Really cannot use it a lot as I have no clue where I would replenish my supply once gone. In the US you can get it on the bay at great prices but true vintage may be harder to find. IMHO, only the vintage EDT and EDC are awesome, the modern version is not good at all, very synthetic and masculine, all the sweetness and smoothness and understated seduction is gone.

And for ME, Carnal Flower is one fragrance to rule them all. :bigsmile: Vive la difference!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes and don't misunderstand me Carnal Flower is insanely beautiful but we are each unique, tuberose is not me for sure and many will say they cannot stand my favorite BAV as it is very civety, dirty animalic. Carnal Flower definitely has that too and I love it as a perfume but I feel that I cannot wear tuberose as I get a headache from it and I have no idea why because normally only synthetics give me headaches. I gave my mom my sample of Amouage Honour Woman, a stunning tuberose, loved it but again not me. I still think Carnal Flower is probably the best tuberose. Watch it, maybe I come here a month later telling you that now I cannot live without it.:))) It often happens that not quite understanding people loving a certain fume I go out trying to test it yet again and unexpectedly fall for it. In this case I understand it too as it is really a wonderfully crafted, very high quality fume.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1419877667|3809183 said:
Yes and don't misunderstand me Carnal Flower is insanely beautiful but we are each unique, tuberose is not me for sure and many will say they cannot stand my favorite BAV as it is very civety, dirty animalic. Carnal Flower definitely has that too and I love it as a perfume but I feel that I cannot wear tuberose as I get a headache from it and I have no idea why because normally only synthetics give me headaches. I gave my mom my sample of Amouage Honour Woman, a stunning tuberose, loved it but again not me. I still think Carnal Flower is probably the best tuberose. Watch it, maybe I come here a month later telling you that now I cannot live without it.:))) It often happens that not quite understanding people loving a certain fume I go out trying to test it yet again and unexpectedly fall for it. In this case I understand it too as it is really a wonderfully crafted, very high quality fume.

No misunderstanding at all! We all like what we like!

I was a little disappointed with the TF--I couldn't smell it much after the 2 hour mark....but I seem to have that problem regardless of what I wear. Then again, I was baking and the smell of vanilla and butter tarts pervaded the kitchen so I guess that filled my senses!

cheers--Sharon

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Another Le Labo Today, Vanille 44
Such an elegant Vanilla scent, most I smell make me smell like cupcakes :???: ,
not this one!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Crickett, you are sooo lucky to own Vanille 44! I sure wish, maybe one day. I know what you mean about vanilla, most straight ones are not as good on me but I love vanilla in combos, lots of it too. I did like Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille but must try it more. I have been on the hunt for new fume but taking my time, most disappoint or I like them but do not love them. I am not a big Serge fan as many of his fumes smell like camphor to me, there is that Serge base like many of the good houses have but I liked this one a lot.

I am wearing Amouage Dia today, actually really like this, did not expect to but do, not sure I would buy it but it is very nice.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
OVincze|1420226585|3810963 said:
Crickett, you are sooo lucky to own Vanille 44! I sure wish, maybe one day. I know what you mean about vanilla, most straight ones are not as good on me but I love vanilla in combos, lots of it too. I did like Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille but must try it more. I have been on the hunt for new fume but taking my time, most disappoint or I like them but do not love them. I am not a big Serge fan as many of his fumes smell like camphor to me, there is that Serge base like many of the good houses have but I liked this one a lot.

I am wearing Amouage Dia today, actually really like this, did not expect to but do, not sure I would buy it but it is very nice.

Thanks! I bought it back in September and have been very happy with it!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1420224990|3810946 said:

No CK, I do not...do you?

I need a whole day to experience Le Labo's selections.....I love vanilla but don't always find the "right" combo...and I am often underwhelmed by them...

ETA: we are ensconced in cold weather and since I cannot make that go away, I can only make it better: today FOTD is Kilian Good Girl Gone Bad

cheers--Sharon

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1420228598|3810982 said:

I need a whole day to experience Le Labo's selections.....I love vanilla but don't always find the "right" combo...and I am often underwhelmed by them...

cheers--Sharon

No I haven't, I ordered a ton of samples from lucky scent because I am looking for a few new spring scents. I ordered a sample of this so I will let you know.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1420229314|3810992 said:
canuk-gal|1420228598|3810982 said:

cheers--Sharon

No I haven't, I ordered a ton of samples from lucky scent because I am looking for a few new spring scents. I ordered a sample of this so I will let you know.

I look forward to your review.

I was foolish not to visit Le Labo in Paris (Marais where we stayed) two years ago. Good news is my pal will be in NYC end of the month and I've asked her to obtain a sample of their signature Tubereuse 40 for me. If we visit London and Paris again this year....I will be sure, this time, not to forget!

cheers--Sharon

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I too love vanilla but like you said I am most often underwhelmed and use many fumes that are heavy on vanilla but have other notes too. I wish I could have tested Vanille 44, I never had the opportunity to try the exclusives and now that my basenotes days are pretty much over, well, they are over because we can no longer do swaps between Europe and the US, I have no chance to test them unless I visit one of the cities. So many perfumes I got that way, loved being a crazy perfumista, it was tons of fun and the great people I met who often surprised me with packages containing 8 extra perfumes, rarities to boot. The most exciting thing and blind sniff was tons of fun, my favorite game.

Le Labo and by Kilian are among my favorites houses. I also love Annick Goutal. Amouage I have been testing recently, the one nice thing about Vienna is that it is amazing when it comes to perfumes and I have been getting so many wonderful samples. I do find Honour Woman to be a gorgeous tuberose, have you girls tried it? I even wore it a couple days before I gifted it to my mom and I find Dia beautiful though definitely Chanelesque.

I am so glad that this thread was resurrected. Hope we will have conversations about some great fumes. I love scent almost as much as bling.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While this might come as a surprise, I don't think my fragrance wardrobe has every been without a bottle. Don't use it much, but always have it on hand. Best product they no longer make was the bath oil and bubble bath.

FOTD: Youth Dew, Estee Lauder.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1419807459|3808864 said:
I have Bulgari's Rose Essentielle EdP. Distinctly rose, very elegant. Easy to wear, slightly sweet. All around lovely and smells expensive, though I don't reach for it that often since I rarely wear florals.

Fragrance today: Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber. I read that it was similar to Flowerbomb, but I'm not getting that. Unfortunately, I must not like amber very much.

JulieN--what do you wear/prefer? Spice?

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results