shape
carat
color
clarity

?? for spess owners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
What do you prefer...white or yellow gold? Maybe green?

Which color metal would keep the yellow under tone down and bring out the orange?

Thanks!
21.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2009 9:15:00 PM
Author:mochi
What do you prefer...white or yellow gold? Maybe green?

Which color metal would keep the yellow under tone down and bring out the orange?

Thanks!
21.gif
It depends on the intensity of the orange of the spessartite and the lack of brown or yellow modifier. If it's an intense orange, I would do white gold to give more contrast. If the orange needs "help" because it's too yellow or too brown, I would probably do yellow gold.

I recently returned a spessartite that was too yellow for my liking. I didn't like it in white gold that much. It made the stone look duller.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, the bright saturated orange looks awesome in WG. Less intense spess looks great in YG. I love Spessartite.

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
I think white tends to down play brown overtones, but I''m not sure which would be best to downplay yellow tones. I have a spess thats on the redder side and I was planning to bezel it in rose gold with a white gold band.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yellow gold and the higher the carat the better. minimal 18k but prefer higher. i went with 22k.

mz

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I alternate between liking white gold and yellow gold with mine - which really isn''t so good for getting it set!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard that very high karat gold will downplay any yellow and bring out the orange of a spessartite. By the same token, I wonder of rose gold might do the same for a spessartite? I’m thinking that white gold might bring out any trace of brown or yellow in a spessartite.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This is the spess that I''m questioning about...

ps pictures 001.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Next to green gold

ps pictures 002.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

ps pictures 003.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This picture represents the color that I mostly see in this spess...

ps pictures 004.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi,
Can you place it next to both yellow and rose gold? It looks like a white metal is out. Green isn’t good either.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
18k yellow gold and spess

ps pictures 005.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
white gold and spess

ps pictures 006.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
rose gold and spess

ps pictures 007.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
green gold and spess

ps pictures 008.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
pictures of all the different color golds together

ps pictures 009.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

ps pictures 010.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
For me, to get the right color metal is the most hardest aspect of setting a colored stone...that can be why I have so many of them just in a box ant not in a setting..
40.gif

ps pictures 011.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi,
Can you take some photos without your hand cupped over the stone, because in most instances, you won't be walking around with such a deep shadow on the stone. It's difficult, at least for me, to surmise the true colors of the gem against the metal that way.

That looks exactly the color of the spess I recently had in my possession, and it looked abysmal in white gold when I placed it on top of my empty mounting.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, I wondered who got that stone - it''s beautiful mochi!! I too have a hard time deciding metal color (which is why I''m always posting annoying questions here), and when I saw your spess, I wondered the same thing. I will be following your decision with great interest. Of course, none of that was any help whatsoever......sorry.
20.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I cannot help, but everyone told me YG for mine and now I am not so sure. I am soaking up your thread for my own learning.

So far, I like it best with WG based on the pics so far

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The yellow spessartites tend to look more neon in the shade, so to see the true color, it would be best to see it out of the shade (at least that's my experience). If it looks like the color of the hand shot above, then I would stay away from white gold. I would do high carat yellow gold, as MZ suggested. With rose gold, you do have to be careful because some alloys can be a bit too coppery, and it might clash or bring out some brown in the stone.

It's still a very bright and pretty stone, but it needs the right metal color to enhance it's best aspects.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the yellow gold with your spess so far. Very pretty mochi! Did that spess come from Gene?

I have a spess with reddish brown undertones, so comparing it to yours would be like comparing apples and oranges but, it went totally blah in white gold. It looked ok beside the white gold but when I perched it in the setting it got muddy and lost it''s "fire". It really took me by surprise. It looks pretty good in rose gold but it appears way more red than normal and it looks very nice in yellow gold so I''m going yellow gold for that one, eventually.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a stone has too much brown, grey or yellow as a secondary modifier, white gold could be the "kiss of death." I prefer white gold only for the most vivid of stones, or colorless stones. That''s just me though.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
These are inside shots

ps pictures 016.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

ps pictures 017.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

ps pictures 018.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

ps pictures 019.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

ps pictures 020.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results