shape
carat
color
clarity

First Try Gem Photo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xlent

Rough_Rock
First Try photographing a stone. This is a diamond. Any suggestions or tips on better photography?

icexy.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not bad at all. The tip link LS provided is excellent and a must read.

xlent

Rough_Rock
Lost Sapphire
Your photos are beautiful! I admire them very much, especially the one with the sapphire in the snow. I read the tips but the primary problem I am seeing now that the photo posted is what I think is called "diffused lighting." The lighting is harsh toward the bottom of the stone, the pave is unlit under the stone and the light is uneven on the prongs. Getting the light into every nook and cranny..that is the challenge..
Chrono..Your photos are really crisp..good even lighting..I admire that suddenly ..I have a new appreciation of techniques..and the difficulty of photography shiny, sparkling objects

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 10:14:37 PM
Author: xlent
Lost Sapphire
Your photos are beautiful! I admire them very much, especially the one with the sapphire in the snow. I read the tips but the primary problem I am seeing now that the photo posted is what I think is called 'diffused lighting.' The lighting is harsh toward the bottom of the stone, the pave is unlit under the stone and the light is uneven on the prongs. Getting the light into every nook and cranny..that is the challenge..
Chrono..Your photos are really crisp..good even lighting..I admire that suddenly ..I have a new appreciation of techniques..and the difficulty of photography shiny sparking objects
Thank you Xlent.
There are so many amazing photographers here on PS. If I've learned anything, is to take LOTS AND LOTS of photos. The sapphire in the snow photo was one of over 100 that I took on a bright sunny day. It is really hard to get it right!

I think diamonds are a bit easier. Just keep practicing!

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2010 10:27:27 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Thank you Xlent.
There are so many amazing photographers here on PS. If I''ve learned anything, is to take LOTS AND LOTS of photos. The sapphire in the snow photo was one of over 100 that I took on a bright sunny day. It is really hard to get it right!

I think diamonds are a bit easier. Just keep practicing!

LS
Ditto. And thank you Xlent. Cellentani takes the most amazing coloured stone pictures that rivals a professionals. And I agree that diamonds are easier to photograph as well.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good job on your first photo. The tips are great and it''s good to just keep trying different lighting and settings on your camera.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
camera and lighting like the others said..if you can nail one of the other you are halfway there

xlent

Rough_Rock
OK..On another thread..I hesitated to name a jeweler without his permission but I asked and he said yes..So I will post it here for anyone who was chatting on the other thread..
The name of the jeweler is Mark Sherwood, Sherwood Jewelers in Cottonwood AZ
Town Jeweler, making and selling jewelry to his friends and neighbors for many years. Excellent workmanship and Absolute Honesty..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results