shape
carat
color
clarity

First diamond purchase for an engagement ring

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Gia has pa at 0.1% units? I dont remember to have seen in gia reports a 40.9 pa

40.6 pa + 35.5 ca is optimized for fire or brilliance?

Crown angle 14.5-15.5 is good?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gia has pa at 0.1% units? I dont remember to have seen in gia reports a 40.9 pa

40.6 pa + 35.5 ca is optimized for fire or brilliance?

Crown angle 14.5-15.5 is good?

You're right, GIA rounds by 0.2%.

35.5/40.6 would lean towards fire.

Crown height of 14.5-16% is good. I personally like 15% or higher to lean more towards fire.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
well, i've had a new chat with the jeweller. they said that they dont think they can find a diamond to please me, probably considering i am too picky...and they have returned the money i have paid already.

Therefore, i ve got to find a new diamond dealer.
it may take longer than expected.
sadly, 77diamonds doesnt ship to my country, gotta find other ones.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i've had a new chat with the jeweller. they said that they dont think they can find a diamond to please me, probably considering i am too picky...and they have returned the money i have paid already.

Therefore, i ve got to find a new diamond dealer.
it may take longer than expected.
sadly, 77diamonds doesnt ship to my country, gotta find other ones.

I will reiterate that I think you would have been happy with most of the diamonds you have already rejected if you had seen them in person. We in these boards can be so picky bc the marketplace is different with online vendors. I think you need to actually see more diamonds with your eyes before to keep chasing an ideal that may not actually matter to you.

Also consider what the intended wearer might like, and what her priorities might be. Some women prefer expediency over perfection in this regard.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Well, they re gone anyway so i gotta find a new jeweller.
I ll be calling some see what their quotes are like.

I see JamesAllen, bluenile and whiteflash deliver worldwide BUT there are about 25-30% of the diamond's value to be paid in taxes

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw you admire JPie’s old cut ring. Are there any antique jewelry or estate Jewelers near you? You might like an old cut if you prefer fire.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Yes, i really like her diamond!
Havent checked so far any antique jewerly stores.
I will give a try, will look around for the stores.

Not sure what to do right now, was having hopes that after widening the range i ll have a good cut diamond. I am a little surprised that they dont wanna continue the search. i ll be looking for other stores.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock

What about this one? does the video move really slow to you, like 6-7 images in the whole 360? I cant get a good sight from the cullet.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, i really like her diamond!
Havent checked so far any antique jewerly stores.
I will give a try, will look around for the stores.

Not sure what to do right now, was having hopes that after widening the range i ll have a good cut diamond. I am a little surprised that they dont wanna continue the search. i ll be looking for other stores.

They don’t want to keep searching because they believe they already offered you very well cut options and they don’t see the point of having their entire profit on the transaction eaten up by more customer service.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Well, I have initially visited a few stores and received a few quotes. However, there was one that was about 10% lower than the others so, out of curtesy, i've let the the other stores know that ive chosen another jewerly store as their price was better. Hearing this, the store that offered those diamonds also offered a 10% discount which combined with the fact that the store is very close to my job...i said fine. the price was just 20 euros below the other offer, was not about the price anyway.

As I have first mentioned, their CEO was quite disappointing but the lady was really nice on my second visit.
I may have spent in total 2 to 3 hours in the shop during my two visits. I dont find this much, especially if you want your customer to be satisfied, in the end you are in the diamonds and luxury jewelry business, they aint selling a watermelon.

besides, i was going to buy from the same place also the wedding rings and was planning to buy diamond earrings in november. Tho, i think i'll buy a set of topaz earrings + necklace instead of diamond earrings (gf born in november, her birth gemstone).

i'll get back to the other stores, i'll reach to some more, i must get it done by this week.

If i won't find anything i like, i may just have to insist with them and pick one of the diamonds above.
maybe no2: https://loupe360.com/diamond/2486409792

anyway, regardless of them having refunded the money, i'll just visit them tomorrow and bring a fancy choco box for the lady, she was really nice and i appreciate it :) which i should just do with all of you from here!!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like your new one as much as 1 and 2 on your other list. There seems to be some paddling on the edges. For similar specs, I'd choose 1 or 2 (personally 2) over it.

Aren't you coming up against a May 1 deadline, too? I really think you'd be happy with 1 or 2 given the constraints of where you live. It's worth looking at diamonds in person, not just using numbers to limit your choices. @Dreamer_D is right to say that you would have been happy with several of your choices.

Also, many jewelers have upgrades on purchases in the future.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Or maybe one of the other shops can get you #2 at a slightly better price.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
I believe you are all right, i would like them all if i would have had the chance to see them in real, im just pickier than i should be given the constraints I have and the knowledge on diamonds I posses.

Really, I just enjoy looking for stones. Discovered a new hobby.
Perhaps I should open a store, doing this all day would be wonderful :)

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,

I've got to talk to some more jewellers, they gave me more options for diamonds but none seem to have the hearts and arrows as good as no2:

https://loupe360.com/diamond/2486409792

ive also received a quote from another vendor for exactly this diamond, similar price to the one received from the first jeweller, few tens of euros higher just.

Therefore, i'll just choose one of these:

1. https://loupe360.com/diamond/1489817907

2. https://loupe360.com/diamond/2486409792

3. https://loupe360.com/diamond/1473952397

lets cast some polls on them and i ll just go with one :)

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Just left a jewelry shop, there was a lady soooooo nice, just loving her, i may be falling for her! ( Probably not the best thing to say considering this thread was opened to find my girlfriend an engagement ring.. :))))

Also brought some fancy choco for the other lady from the other shop.
Sunny hot day, took my bike for a ride, walking around luxury shops...life s so good!!

Hugs to you all!!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t thank you can go wrong with 1 or 2. Number 3 seems dark to me as you rotate. It just off-center both ways.

@DejaWiz, any thoughts on these 3? We’re working with the constraints of a European market, so after much time and effort, these are the finalists.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
This evening i went to a mall and also checked the diamonds that a pawn shop have.
Ive got sooo charmed by a diamond, tho it was smaller, 0.24-0.3 but i think it is the nicest diamond i saw so far.
So much fire, still thinking of it.

Being a pawn shop...there arent many info available and it was mounted on an ugly ring along a lot of small diamonds, summing up to 0.76carats which raised its cost by a lot...

Im just curious what proportions that diamond has.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Later Edit: This was already subjected to discussion, previously Dia no. 5. Was so happy to have found another diamond that looks fine and just rushed to write about it.

How do you feel about this one:

Video: New Dia
Certificate: Gia Raport

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The black triangles at the base are evidence of pavilion twist. It has a little more than the other 3 choices. Stick to your other 3 finalists.

IMG_7805.jpeg

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
I start to lose hope of finding a better diamond than 1 or 2.

Waiting a few more days.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I start to lose hope of finding a better diamond than 1 or 2.

Waiting a few more days.

What is it that you are looking to find? Better performance or better price? You are starting to suffer from analysis paralysis I think! Tell us exactly what you are hoping to find and we will try to help you. Just pulling random diamonds from sites is probably not going to work for you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive got back home from the jeweller.
This time, I got to talk to a woman which was super nice, taking all the time needed to search for the right diamond, we spent few hours looking at a lot of them.
She has completely erased the unpleasant experience from my previous visit so I declare myself satisfied of the encounter this time, will surely get back there but to talk only with her.

as for the diamond:
I have mainly been look for:
PA; 40.8
CA: 34-35 deg

taking into account the info from here:

The one that fits perfectly this proportion is:

PROPORTIONS​

Depth61.9%
Table57%
Crown Angle35.0°
Crown Height15.0%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length50%
Lower Half80%
GirdleMedium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
CuletNone
HCA: 1.4 Big apperance
I really like this one, considering taking it.

However, i took note that diamonds a little "fat" do have more fire and we took a look at some of them, such as:

PROPORTIONS​

Depth61.0%
Table56%
Crown Angle34.0°
Crown Height15.0%
Pavilion Angle40.6°
Pavilion Depth42.5%
Star Length50%
Lower Half75%
GirdleMedium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
CuletNone
HCA 0.5 Big appearence

Now, the second one seemed to have a little bit more fire in the 360deg video but that 360deg video does not really help, it aint like the one from whiteflash which shows in so much detail its fire and sparkle.

Out of all the diamonds I have mentioned in previous posts, I've checked 3 diamonds by the HCA and 2 of them had 1.4 HCA score ( 1489817907 and 1488569271) whilst 2486409792 has a 0.5

According to the Pricescope proportion guide,
40.8 PA and 35 CA should have lower halves 80% which the 1489817907 diamond has. 15% crown height, good table and depth.

Im kinda set to buy this one, what do you all think?

It has a feather fault inside which was clearly seen in the 360degrees video and it was reflected a lot inside of it and few pinpoints. being VVS2 i dont think it matters anyway, also colour D.

I took your advice and looked for other colours (E,F) as well and also for a VS2 clarity for 0.5 carats. the price would go up by 250 dollars given that i may pick one of the cheapest diamonds, not one that has these perfect proportions therefore, given that i have D/VVS2 being budgeted I said i'll keep it that way, dont care that much that I could save some money.
Just helps me to think that the diamond is close to perfect tho :)

Later edit: 77Diamonds do not ship to the country I live in therefore its out of discussion...

Hi there, @Vladovici -

I prefer a lower half % of 75 - I think it makes the arrows more obvious and I like the way that affects the look of the diamond.

Your stats don't need to all be exact; there is an acceptable margin for stats.

Table: 55-57
Depth: 60.7 - 62.2 (I agree, tho - 61.2 - 61.8 gives you the most bang for your buck)
Crown angle: 34-35
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

If I could build my ideal diamond, it would be -

Table: 56-57
Depth: 61.2-61.7
Crown angle: 34.5
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Lower facet: 75-76

Keep in mind, GIA round their numbers, so a 75 lower facet might actually be anything from 73 (too fat, in my opinion) to 77.

For the size diamond you're looking at, I'd still stay in the VS or above range. While you might not be able to see black inclusions at that size, you definitely can still pick up the dullness that a cloud would bring (try to stay away from clouds). For color, it won't hugely affect the price, so why not go colorless, right? F or above, tho G would work perfectly well also.

To that end, I like the .55ct diamond you posted earlier:
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6234202536

I just don't see the reasoning in getting a much smaller D VVS stone, which won't display as a better diamond - just a smaller one. But to each their own. Keep in mind, you won't be the one wearing it, and if your fiancee says she *specifically* wants tiny - then fine. But so many girls say "Small is great!" because they don't want to be demanding or problematic, but in reality, they'd prefer something a little larger. And if a man was EVER going to go above and beyond, this is the time - surely? Anyway, your choice, but I like the .55 G VS2. Nice stone. Would make a nice engagement stone.

ETA Ok - I just saw there was two more pages on this thread. So if someone has already voiced my opinion, my apologies to that person for repeating their work.

Btw, Vlad, which country do you come from? (I didnt read all three pages, so if that's been stated above as well, again, my apologies.)

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

Thank you for the help!!

Sadly, that 0.55 stone is out of my reach.
The only ones I can reach are those below:

https://loupe360.com/diamond/1489817907

https://loupe360.com/diamond/2486409792

https://loupe360.com/diamond/1473952397

Working under the constraints that ordering a diamond from the USA to be delivered in Europe is kind of difficult and I want to avoid the hassle so therefore I am stuck with the European/Romanian market

Ok. So have you looked at diamonds outside the D/E color and VVS clarity? And - can I ask your budget pls? In euros, pls.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Also looked for F color besides D and E.

Have not looked below VVS2.

About 1300 euros for the diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From blue Nile in Euros

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
What about that fluorescence? When does it become a problem?

I have seen few diamonds with some sort of fluorescence, one of them being strong blue and I have not liked them.
Also, one of the diamonds I have seen and really like had no fluorescence and I started picking them only without fluoresence, none.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about that fluorescence? When does it become a problem?

I have seen few diamonds with some sort of fluorescence, one of them being strong blue and I have not liked them.
Also, one of the diamonds I have seen and really like had no fluorescence and I started picking them only without fluoresence, none.

It's almost never an issue unless the diamond is milky/cloudy/or has low clarity.

PS. strong and v. strong blue PLUS low clarity/milky/cloudy can be issues. faint/medium is basically never an issue

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results