shape
carat
color
clarity

First diamond purchase for an engagement ring

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
That’s wonderful that you have a respectful sales rep now!

Although the numbers looks good, we can’t help you with the precision of cut without video or photos. Is the sales rep able to send you a video of the stone that we could see?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Are you able to go back to the store and set at least three sides by side and get a video in at least two different types of lighting? Maybe in the regular store lighting and then by a windows with more sunlight?

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
I havent seen the diamonds in real, just pics on a sales website and a 360 video that doesnt show much.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
We would LOVE to see the 360 video! We can tell A LOT from a 360 video!

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
I ll try to get some monday morning, anytime sooner i cant get anything.

Thanks a lot!!!

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Well, looked all over the internet and found the 360 of my favorite diamond.

What you think?

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
These have some pictures just.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Thats the website we were searching them on. Couldnt remember its name, knew its loupe something but got no result, drove me crazy... Thank you alot

Well, we ve looked at over 100 hundred diamonds, few pages in there, i dont know how to do any better :(

Been looking for the proportions recommended on pricescope, 40.8 pa, 34-35ca, 61-62 depth, 54-57 table, lower halves 75-80%, crown height 15%

I dont know if it is the video quality but we took a good look at the second one and i said it is so much brighter, colourful and the arrows are being seen so clearly but its proportions are exactly the recommended ones, slight deviations.
However, first one do not have the arrows that clean and does not seem to be so bright.
Could it be video quality?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Kim N do think the fuzziness on the second one 2486409792 is from camera technique? I can't imagine a mined stone having material issues to that great of an extent.

@Vladovici, are you able to review Loupe360 images with that helpful sales rep? There's a little bit of pavilion twist on most of these diamonds. Even though the angles can be correct, sometimes the execution isn't quite perfect. There are numerous threads which point out pavilion twist. Take a look. It's the tiny black triangles at the bases of the arrows, near the center of the stone. I'm not able to show you an image at the moment bc of time and wet nail polish :lol:

@Kim N and @DejaWiz, given that OP can't really review the high resolution images to the degree that some PSers would, how to you feel about these diamonds? He's at a handicap since he's unable to review stones with PS looking over his shoulder.

I know this is such a drawn out process that sometimes the joy gets drained out of it. We're trying our best to help you! Let's see what the experts have to say now that we have video and a better SR.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Well, the sales rep does not have a clue at all, at this point i strongly believe that in the online learning process from the past days ive actually earned more knowledge than her (or her ceo) on diamonds.
Her expertize is surely of no help and the videos i have seen in the store do not have any higher resolution than we can see on the loupe360 links so i guess theres no help.
Monday morning i ll ask her to download the videos and to send them to me, i ll share with you but i really doubt they had any better resolution, we ve been browsing the exact same website. @Kim N, if you have acces to the loupe360, can u advise if there are any better videos?

Im looking over and over again at the videos trying to make a difference between but even so i do not know if a small difference is for the good or the worse. Im amazed that u managed to make a sense out of them :))

Well, at this point, i have the confidence that out of those stones at least one may be good and that even if not, its still going to be pretty good.
Choosing the best of the best is a job for an expert, given my level of knowledge i am satisfied with how far i got, especially given that you all are being so nice and helping so much.

To be honest, worrying about the stones being good or not puts some stress on me but it is all pleasant only because of you! You give me confidence and make this journey quite pleasant.
Girlfriend woke up asking why i am up again at 1am...:))) her diamond keeps me up

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the sales rep does not have a clue at all, at this point i strongly believe that in the online learning process from the past days ive actually earned more knowledge than her (or her ceo) on diamonds.
Her expertize is surely of no help and the videos i have seen in the store do not have any higher resolution than we can see on the loupe360 links so i guess theres no help.
Monday morning i ll ask her to download the videos and to send them to me, i ll share with you but i really doubt they had any better resolution, we ve been browsing the exact same website. @Kim N, if you have acces to the loupe360, can u advise if there are any better videos?

Im looking over and over again at the videos trying to make a difference between but even so i do not know if a small difference is for the good or the worse. Im amazed that u managed to make a sense out of them :))

Well, at this point, i have the confidence that out of those stones at least one may be good and that even if not, its still going to be pretty good.
Choosing the best of the best is a job for an expert, given my level of knowledge i am satisfied with how far i got, especially given that you all are being so nice and helping so much.

To be honest, worrying about the stones being good or not puts some stress on me but it is all pleasant only because of you! You give me confidence and make this journey quite pleasant.
Girlfriend woke up asking why i am up again at 1am...:))) her diamond keeps me up

Can you bring specific GIA numbers to your store and ask them to order those for you? Most diamonds that are not held in-house by another diamond dealer can be ordered by any dealer to sell. @Kim N or @DejaWiz can recommend specific GIA numbers and then just have your store order them. Can you do that?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL sleepless nights over diamonds....who knew???:P2

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
I doubt they will tell me their sources, they seemed pretty conservative and just told me today that i am their most picky client so far...

I have given a thought to this option already but i dont think its a doable.

What we basically did:

Logged into loupe360, they ve opened customer view and there were the diamond filters.
Ive asked them whats the difference between diamonds, what are the return policies if i am not satisfied with the diamond and their answer was: depends on the supplier.
However, in customer view i could not see any details of a supplier and the gia numbers i saw are not available on the main websites (whiteflash, 77diamonds, james allen) and i have also searched a few gia numbers from those websites and i got no results when entered into loupe360 so their suppliers are not common.

If neither of those is good, i could ask the sales rep to search their database for some other 40.6-40.8 pa / 34-35 ca diamonds

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
LOL sleepless nights over diamonds....who knew???:P2

Well, i could have imagined that a tiny stone would eventually give me sleepless nights but not as it gives me now, as really the stone in particular but as what it actually represent for me...marriage.

Guess this is just the begining :))

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Can you bring specific GIA numbers to your store and ask them to order those for you? Most diamonds that are not held in-house by another diamond dealer can be ordered by any dealer to sell. @Kim N or @DejaWiz can recommend specific GIA numbers and then just have your store order them. Can you do that?

I think you may have edited your message since i replied.
I think we can do that, i can recommend gia numbers and ask if they can be provided.
Could give a try

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I think you may have edited your message since i replied.
I think we can do that, i can recommend gia numbers and ask if they can be provided.
Could give a try

Sorry, I did edit it to make it more clear. I think that might be the best route. Just bring a list of what you want them to bring in.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell us your parameters again? Budget, size, color.
And what's your timeline? I hope we aren't throwing off your schedule! :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Listen, you are asking the pickiest crew on earth here. I actually think you did very well with your choices and all of them are very well cut diamonds. None is perfect, though. Most show some evidence that the cut precision is not perfect. There is darkness showing between the arrows in the center in most of them. I would eliminate 4 and 5 on this basis. This issue is less pronounced in 1 and 2 and 3.

Given the constraints you are working in — which we should respect! — I think you would likely be very happy with quite a few of these options.

My vote is for number 2 or 3 as they have fatter arrows and that usually creates a bolder flash and more contrast which I think you will enjoy.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Can you tell us your parameters again? Budget, size, color.
And what's your timeline? I hope we aren't throwing off your schedule! :lol:

Around 1300-1400 euro.
0.4ct, previous setting was D/vvs2. This setting allowed me to pick a huge number of diamonds
Ive tried to go to 0.5 ct with lower setting but the price jumped to 1500 euro first listings, being picky would get me to 1600+.
It takes about 3 weeks to get the ring after final order, i wouldve hoped to have it by 1st may. Im a bit in rush but not that much so it can be mid may and we have so 1 week more to find it.

Now, i dont know if, for example, you choose a diamond from whiteflash that costs 1300 euro ... It would cost me the same, perhaps it would cost me more.

Listen, you are asking the pickiest crew on earth here. I actually think you did very well with your choices and all of them are very well cut diamonds. None is perfect, though. Most show some evidence that the cut precision is not perfect. There is darkness showing between the arrows in the center in most of them. I would eliminate 4 and 5 on this basis. This issue is less pronounced in 1 and 2 and 3.

Given the constraints you are working in — which we should respect! — I think you would likely be very happy with quite a few of these options.

My vote is for number 2 or 3 as they have fatter arrows and that usually creates a bolder flash and more contrast which I think you will enjoy.

Well, from picking a 600 euros diamond ring that I have initially had in mind i got to a budget of 1900 euros and to ask for advice the pickiest diamond pickers on earth, sounds like i got far already.

Well, as i told, we spent a lot of time looking for that 40.6-40.8 PA with a 34-35CA.
We ve seen also 40.6-40.8PA with 35.5 CA. Would this also be good? Else, other 34-35CA we wont find more.

Theres been a 0.46 ct also but i think i got the gia number wrong, cant find it. Will ask the seller for it, maybe thats good.

About the performance, i would prefer more fire than white light. I just love that rainbow but...my gf has not seen the diamonds, she wont know the difference but still, rather give her something i love.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I like 2 better than 1, but both can work. I feel like cut precision is better on 2.

@Dreamer_D likes 2. @lovedogs also sees potential in 2. That might be your best choice.

With a15% crown height, you will get fire!

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
What about the fuzziness on 2? Youve mentioned it in an earlier post.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't love the 42.5% pavilion depth on #2 and a few of the others because it may result in some unwanted obstruction.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Ill be going back to the shop and search some more.

Im looking for:
54-57 table depth
61-62% depth
40.6-40.8 PA
34-35 CA

Besides these, should i look at other proportions too? Widen the range to like 54-58 table / 62.5 depth, 35.5 ca?

What should the pavilion angle be, more or less than 42.5?

The thing there is that i can only set Table and Depth as filters, nothing else so we open each diamond and check the proportions...

The prices for the diamonds start from 1300 euros and some of the diamonds from above were already at the 1400+ euro. Therefore, i ll check the ones costing around 1500.

I ll be trying to list some more either monday evening if i can get to the store either tuesday morning as i ll take a day off work to have more time at the jewelry shop.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ill be going back to the shop and search some more.

Im looking for:
54-57 table depth
61-62% depth
40.6-40.8 PA
34-35 CA

Besides these, should i look at other proportions too? Widen the range to like 54-58 table / 62.5 depth, 35.5 ca?

What should the pavilion angle be, more or less than 42.5?

The thing there is that i can only set Table and Depth as filters, nothing else so we open each diamond and check the proportions...

The prices for the diamonds start from 1300 euros and some of the diamonds from above were already at the 1400+ euro. Therefore, i ll check the ones costing around 1500.

I ll be trying to list some more either monday evening if i can get to the store either tuesday morning as i ll take a day off work to have more time at the jewelry shop.

I might widen the range a little, and I'd personally stick to 43% pavilion depth.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results