shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally Some Pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

countingdown

Shiny_Rock
Is there a way to attach multiple pics in one Post?

colfacedown.JPG

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!
30.gif

Specs??
33.gif

countingdown

Shiny_Rock
Comments good and bad are welcome, I have not purchased it yet. :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those pictures look very nice to me, and even the IS (which I believe is allot more sensitive than direct observation...) doesn't look too bad. I've read RocDoc's comments on the other thread too.

Most likely I would not consider re cuting this unless all diamonds in the world would some day be H&A and this would be the last outsider left. If you do that one day I wonder if clarity would not improve as well, because this stone has most of the inclusions on the outskirts. If this is true, it is just another bonus.

It is refreshing to see a nice non H&A around here from time to time !
1.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2005 3:46:49 PM
Author: valeria101

Those pictures look very nice to me, and even the IS (which I believe is allot more sensitive than direct observation...) doesn''t look too bad. I''ve read RocDoc''s comments on the other thread too.

Most likely I would not consider re cuting this unless all diamonds in the world would some day be H&A and this would be the last outsider left. If you do that one day I wonder if clarity would not improve as well, because this stone has most of the inclusions on the outskirts. If this is true, it is just another bonus.

It is refreshing to see a nice non H&A around here from time to time !
1.gif

Hi Valeria...

I have an IS, but I can''t for the life of me get an image that is repeatable with it, and less if I try photographing it. I am in a quandry as to why this is, as I get good FS photos easily.

The other photos are not enhanced. I do from time to time adjust the white balance and color balance, if the photo come out with a tint that isn''t what my eye sees.

The image shown is one from the Firescope...although the stone is a bit larger than the Firescope''s capacity/field.

Rockdoc

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the FireScope, what is that clear area under the table? Is it clear in real life, or white or red or? That could make or break it for me personally....I don't like the white that is prominent between the arrows already but that's just me being picky.

That said....the stone pictures definitely look 'lively' so it doesn't look to be a dead fish by any means...

However, I would tend to say that with $32k you should really ensure that ALL your bases are covered. That is alot of money and I personally would want to spend it on a stone that fit more parameters for my type of ideal cut. If you have until August, do not rush this purchase. Be 10000% sure that this is what you want.

Myself having had an unsual non-ideal stone in the past...it was sure lively in person but I found later that it did not perform satisfactorily for me in many lighting situations...when I got a super ideal stone and saw the differences side by side to my stone, superideal was less than 1/2 the size and it was more impressive in more lighting situations for me and my husband. After seeing that new stone, he was blown away and it actually swayed him from wanting me to keep my old stone to agreeing there was a huge difference and that we had made a cut mistake on the first purchase.

This is just my experience, but that taught me somewhat that some of the more unusual nice looking non-ideals may be great for a 2nd look, but be sure you know what you are buying for the long term. Check out the stone in more lighting situations than just one or two and make sure to view it in what would typically be an unflattering position, aka full sun...also check out very dim lighting.

Be assured, I am not saying don't get this stone, I am saying that you should be sure it's EXACTLY what you want and do not settle. With $32k and a few months to look, you should not have to settle for anything that is 90% of what you want....try to see if you can get everything. But if not, as F&I noted, at times, something has to give. And if so, this stone looks like a nice make if necessary.

Edited to add: The stone looks to have Strong Blue fluor from the BN site...if that is the case and this price you are looking at is 'cheaper' than other stones you have seen, the Fluor could be the reason why...it's a great perk in a stone with an I or J color IMO and I love it. Hard to find.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear Mara

Counting down and I spent several hours viewing the stone in various lighting environments, including UV and out side in the sunlight to see if there was any affect in the daylight.

We looked at it under halogen, indirect, soft lighting and darkness. We observed it in the B Scope viewer at almost every conceivable light entry/exit angle, including diffused light as well.

Countingdown, can choose a different stone if he likes, but I am of the opinion that the same size stone in an AGS 0, will cost him significantly more.

Also he is on the benefit side of the strong Blue fluoresence issue. Because of the fluoresence this stone is priced as an I color, but faces up it looks a lot better than I color. There is no cloudiness or milkyness affecting it''s appearance, so in essence he is getting the look of a G to H face up appearance and paying a lower price.

Also size for CountingDown is a consideration, and this stone approaches a 4 carat weight.

Note: the photos are not enhanced, and the stone appears far better to the eye, than my photographs.

As previously and wisely quoted above in this thread, there is a vast difference between the opinions of an accomplished surgeon, and a med student, not to mention the advantage of both CountingDown and I having seen the stone with our eyes, testing it thoroughly and observing it throughly as well.

Counting has put forth a lot of research, is tremendous study, and still I believe he left here far better informed than he could have done on his own.

Rockdoc

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are totally right RD, re you and CD having viewed it..we only have the benefit of online photos and reports etc. The point of my post was not to dissaude him from purchasing the stone, but rather letting him know of my own experiences and also to stress not to rush or feel pressured if this stone is not 10000% what he wants. Sometimes it's easy to get carried away with momentum into thinking it is something you want and then after the fact....you may find out that is not the case.

You obviously feel it's a great performer and yes you are the expert. I think it's a great specimen of a 'non-ideal' with alot of promise and nice symmetry...my point was just to cover all the bases in searching and spending that $32k which is not a small amount of change for the average consumer. If that has been done, excellent...we can only but give our two cents which may not make a difference at this point. Oh and again, I do love the fluor...that would actually speak very strongly to me in a stone like this.

Oh, and could you speak about the firescope image where the area under the table is 'clear'. What does it actually appear like under the FS? White or red or black...since clear seems odd...so quite possibly it was just the photo.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: FS

I think you''re confusing the H&A image with the F Scope one. In the F Scope the stone appears red in the center.

I''ll have to go look at the photo to see which one you''re referring to.

I''ll edit the posting with comment.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2005 2:34:27 PM
Author: countingdown
Another
Mara

This is the FS image - The lighter color is midway as I consider it. The lightness ( not really intense white) are the areas of the faceting that are not reflecting light as well as the red areas.

The cause of this is of course the pavilion angle. CD knows this, but fortunately it can be trimmed since there is extra weight there, as being opposed to a stone that is too shallow where to achieve the 0 cut grade the girdle of the stone would have to be repositioned, resulting in significant weight loss.

Remember this is an AGS 2.... not really a bad stone by any stretch of the imagination. I have also seen an AGS 10 that "explodes" with dispersion, and in my curiousity I ran an HCA on it, and the report was that the stone would break, due to the shallow crown angle.

The cutter of these proportioned stones, has several that have been worn for a very extended period of time with no damage.

The type of rough used to cut these proportioned is a lot less expensive than cleavages ( well formed octahedron rough) and yields a lot better in the cut weight as well.

I have only seen one stone like this, but I understand there have been several made/cut and for those looking for looks, and not fussy about the AGS 0 - may present a viable alternative in looks for a lot more advantageous price.

Is this really going to be a continuous result? Might be !

BTW for those going to Vegas, the stone will be at the Gemex "booth" for any of those in the trade that wish to see the performance of this pet rock. I''ve also sent all the facet analysis, gemprint light scan, and colorimeter reports so those wanting to see "why" can.

Rockdoc

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Stones of this size w/ a very good make & strong blue fluor aren''t easy to find. Trust me, the combination isn''t readily available. In a better market, I looked for months. AND, this is almost a FOUR carat stone.

Again, I can''t comment on price. But, you have the advice of a PRO. In the end, the decision is up to you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
RD, do you know the cutter?

F&I makes an excellent point re: hard to find size and the blue fluor...obviously I love the size and the blue fluor and I know stones like these are slim pickin''s right now..so maybe this is the best option...I''d be curious to hear from CD if he has seen any other similar stones and/or AGS0''s in his hunt and what the comparisons were for cost, performance etc.

RD have you run the stone on the BS?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 12:18:55 PM
Author: Mara
RD, do you know the cutter?

F&I makes an excellent point re: hard to find size and the blue fluor...obviously I love the size and the blue fluor and I know stones like these are slim pickin''s right now..so maybe this is the best option...I''d be curious to hear from CD if he has seen any other similar stones and/or AGS0''s in his hunt and what the comparisons were for cost, performance etc.

RD have you run the stone on the BS?

RE Cutter - Nope - Never had any touch with them previously.

RE: B Scope - No it was the client''s decision to hold off on that until he made his final decision.

I did estimate the potential result would probably be based on my visual conclusions using the viewer. Which was the high end of high on the three categories. If he decides to have the B Scope done, we''ll see how accurate my prediction was/is.

countingdown

Shiny_Rock
Mara is the Brilliant Scope worth it, I think its about $80.00 per carat. What will this show?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
RockDoc could probably tell you what it would show...I just was curious if one had been done because I wanted to see the results. But as he noted, he feels it would be in the High right side in all 3 categories...so it sounds like a positive thing to me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2005 4:12:40 PM
Author: countingdown
Mara is the Brilliant Scope worth it, I think its about $80.00 per carat. What will this show?
countingdown

i thought the fee would be per stone?
33.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
My fee for the Brilliance Scope report is an additional $35.00 per carat. This is for the .gif file only.

Gemex offers a laminated report that also has a direct hook up through their live report part of their site which is a flat $ 50.00 fee.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results