shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally!!! Setting my zircon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I've had a portuguese cut blue zircon which I bought from Finewater Gems a while back (the one BEG returned) and have finally decided to set it!!

I've chosen to have Liz C set it for me. She mostly sets simulants and synthetics, but I really admire her work, she takes such pride in it and it really shows. Also, she's been super sweet and patient with me and my MANY questions lol... It will be a bezel (yikes, yes I know!) and be will be done in Palladium. If anyone is curious about her work you can google Liz C or Liz C jewelry and it should come up. Her gallery has pictures of some amazing rings.

I can probably still change my mind on the metal choice and go for 18K white gold... does anyone have any suggestions on that?

I'm attaching a picture she took of my stone when she received it (She's in SG), no idea how she got it to look so dark, I've never seen it like this haha! I'm really excited about this as it is my first custom made ring! I'll make sure to post pictures as the project unfolds :) Her bench is on vacation at the moment so it won't start until next week I believe.

Anyway just sharing my excitement!
9.gif

ZirconLizC.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The darkness looks to be the shadow of the camera (head obstruction) and I wouldn’t sweat it. Looks to be a very lively zircon. What design have you chosen for it?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I really like the cut and colour.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono and oddoneout!

It''s based on this setting below but I have requested a slimmer bezel and more swooping of the sides if that makes any sense! I wanted to keep the setting simple as it''s a stone that, to me, has a lot going on because of it''s cut. I obviously won''t be wearing this as an everyday ring but a few hours a week shouldn''t do it much harm I hope
4.gif

I''d appreciate any comments, especially now that the metalwork hasn''t yet started.

Thanks!

OpenBezelRingSettingZirc.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness, it looks like the Etienne Perret low bezel setting and I love it!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey that''s a good first reaction! I''m glad you like it.

I LOVE the Etienne Perret bezels so I''m happy you made that comparison :)

I am still going back and forth about making the sides swoop in a bit or not... what do you think?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with making the bezel thinner as the one pictured looks chunky. However, for the swoopy shank, I’m not sure as I cannot picture it in my mind. Do you have any example picture to show how much “swoopiness” you want to achieve?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty setting. I agree about the thinner bezel but I like how the shank looks now.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How bout something like this? it is from uniquesettings.com and can be ordered by your jeweler. this was one of my diamond in that setting. it was very inexpensive as well. Worth a looky? beautiful Stone by the way!

dtstdiamondbezel%20015.jpg

dtstdiamondbezel%20016.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree about having a thinner bezel. Thats going to be a lovely ring when finished.

-A

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kismet and Arcadian! :)

D&T, that is a lovely setting. Unfortunately I am not in the US so I don't think I would be able to get it here in the UK... It's a shame the UK doesn't have a company like that...at least I don't know any. Thanks for the suggestion though, your diamond looks beautiful in there :)

I just spent some time looking through bezel rings and this picture by LTP shows what kind of "swoopiness" I am talking about... such a technical term lol!

Hope this helps Chrono :)

original.aspx

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the mm size of your stone. For a smaller stone, I’d leave the shank as is. For a larger stone, you have enough room to add that slight curve to the shank. However, based on the fact that you want a very thin bezel, it might flow better with the shank as it is, giving it a very smooth appearance.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My stone is 8mm and the shank is going to be 2.5mm. Need to leave work in 10 mins so can''t really respond but I am thinking about it and will get back to you Chrono thanks!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
it''s going to look good..like the portuguese..eagerly awaiting finished pics
1.gif

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good morning!

Thanks Amguy - I am eagerly awaiting the finished pics too!
3.gif

Chrono - I think my stone should be large enough to allow for the curve (yes much better than swoopiness!
2.gif
). I should get some pictures I think as the project unfolds so I will post them and hopefully you and others will chime in :)

Thanks again I''m so excited!!
9.gif

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok so Liz kindly photoshopped what the "swoop" would look like...

She''s just let me know the metalwork won''t be starting for a week or so as she has a few orders ahead of mine still, so that gives me a little time.

So what do you gals/guys think? I am still on the fence!!!

Thanks!

swooped-cathedral.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
no one has a preference?
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The curve is so slight that I’m inclined to leave it as it is for a modernish flair.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that zircon have a curved edge? If so, I would not be inclined to bezel it, but prong set it to show off the edge.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote no curve.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the bezels shown, and that is a fantastic stone.

LTP, that bezel, is that the zircon you had JKT set? Reason I ask is re the countersinking of the culet. I have a 10.5 mm round peridot that I wanted in a full bezel and Julia is thinking it has to have the culet countersunk.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 12:54:04 PM
Author: StonieGrl
I like the bezels shown, and that is a fantastic stone.

LTP, that bezel, is that the zircon you had JKT set? Reason I ask is re the countersinking of the culet. I have a 10.5 mm round peridot that I wanted in a full bezel and Julia is thinking it has to have the culet countersunk.

That is a very pretty stone Deia. I like the "nonswooping" bezeled shank.

Stoniegirl, maybe that is LTP''s scapolite which wasn''t set by JKT. What does "countersinking" of the culet mean, out of curiosity?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Cind, my 10.5 mm round peridot, I wanted it full bezel in JKTs "Polly" but the stone is so big that the culet (endpoint of stone) going into a hole in the band.

Not sure how I feel about that. Looking at LTP pic just above, wondered if that was the case with her stone/setting..

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the setting you''ve picked. I would try for the swoop if the jeweler thinks it''d be enough to notice it. Doesn''t look like it from the photos you posted. TFS!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deia, I love, love, love that setting! I think the slight swoop might work for a large stone, and can't wait to see it set!

Date: 2/25/2010 7:54:08 PM
Author: StonieGrl
Cind, my 10.5 mm round peridot, I wanted it full bezel in JKTs 'Polly' but the stone is so big that the culet (endpoint of stone) going into a hole in the band.

Not sure how I feel about that. Looking at LTP pic just above, wondered if that was the case with her stone/setting..
StonieGrl, that's my Scapolite that my jeweler set, and because of the height, he sunk the stone. I love it and hate it. Love it because it allows me to wear the stone at a lower height, but cleaning the culet is a pain. Water gets trapped in it and I need to blow it dry with compressed air, or a hairdryer. LOL

I think it's a brilliant way to set a large stone, though. Just make sure a cleaning hole is included.
9.gif

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Sorry for the late reply I''ve been very busy lately!

I emailed Liz and told her that I couldn''t make up my mind and left it up to her as I am sure she knows what would look best. She emailed back saying she is doing the "swoop"! Now all I can do is wait for pictures when she starts the metal work (which I think has started so should be soon!! YAY!).

I''ll update this thread as it goes along....I really can''t wait.

Thanks again everyone :)

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Update...

Pictures of the metalwork are in
9.gif
It got delayed a tiny bit as her bench had unfortunate family issues.

Let me know what you guys think, I would very much appreciate it.

LIZCMetalworkZircon.JPG

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1.gif

LIZCMetalworkZircon2.JPG

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last one
4.gif

LIZCMetalworkZircon3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will be the bezel be shaved down further or thinned out? I’m not a benchperson so I don’t fully understand how it works but the bezel looks bulky to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results